Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Michelle Yeoh section 31 movie could work as follows: Section 31 was the only place in this universe where I fit in, but after confronting my past and the guardian of forever, I know no place where I fit in should be allowed to exist, so I'm taking it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

She teams up with Bashir and the Lower Decks crew to take down Will Boimler and the last vestiges of Section 31.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

She walks in, they give her a "Secret Intelligence Order That Can't Officially Exist" badge to help identify her as a member of the Secret Intelligence Order That Can't Officially Exist Organization, she says,"That's loving stupid, I'm leaving, this is stupid", roll credits.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That was already a lower decks gag when Will Boimler joined S31.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ideally the S31 movie will involve Georgiou showing up in the 24th century all ARE YOU IDIOTS WORSHIPPING AN EVIL COMPUTER AGAIN

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

Ideally the S31 movie will involve Georgiou showing up in the 24th century all ARE YOU IDIOTS WORSHIPPING AN EVIL COMPUTER AGAIN

"Yes, meet our new lord and goddess, Peanut Hamper."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I bet the Gorn are saying something like "intelligent ape aliens that have warp drives and space suits but also somehow surrender to instinct and risk galactic war just to rescue their breeding partner"

I was into HFY for a bit there before I started to find all the reddit writing incredibly same (e: and the whole "we're just fantastic at killing" trope it often indulges in gets pretty gross after a while), and I realized what I actually liked about it isn't so much "Humanity gently caress Yeah", it's when humans are written as being just as weird as everything else out there in ways we don't normally consider because we're embedded in it.

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 14, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeJF posted:

That was already a lower decks gag when Will Boimler joined S31.

I had forgotten! She offers to kill him for real as an alternative which I guess explains why everybody wears the "It's a secret!" badge.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Animal-Mother posted:

Small town America is literally cursed.

Right, but this wasn't small town america, this was cosplay america. Same as grandma Crusher's Scottish cosplay colony where they moved actual stones from lovely historic buildings in Scotland to a different planet. It was more like a Medieval Times restaurant than the thing it was pretending to be.

I wonder what media survived the wars that the would-be colonists fell in love with? Something like Miracle on 34th Street or The Andy Griffith show seems like the obvious answer. I prefer to think a cache of Hallmark Channel movies survived and are considered classics by these colonists.

Oh yeah. This is the vision that led these people to abandon their homes and start a colony outside federation space.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh yeah. This is the vision that led these people to abandon their homes and start a colony outside federation space.

I remember going on Twitter to try to convince Lindy Booth that the sequel to "A Rocky Mountain Christmas" should be "A Rocky Horror Christmas."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Right, but this wasn't small town america, this was cosplay america. Same as grandma Crusher's Scottish cosplay colony where they moved actual stones from lovely historic buildings in Scotland to a different planet. It was more like a Medieval Times restaurant than the thing it was pretending to be.

I wonder what media survived the wars that the would-be colonists fell in love with? Something like Miracle on 34th Street or The Andy Griffith show seems like the obvious answer. I prefer to think a cache of Hallmark Channel movies survived and are considered classics by these colonists.

Realistically it's absolutely insane.
BUT having stuff like that (eg rome world and whatever) fits the TOS feel so eh, whatever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it rules. Super TOS.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’m just glad they haven’t attempted “Antebellum South, but without the racism!”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

I’m just glad they haven’t attempted “Antebellum South, but without the racism!”

If Gene Roddenberry had just given Paul Kinsey a chance!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Der Kyhe posted:

I honestly don't know why they don't just make a mirror universe series at this point.

It could be as horny and violent as it wants to and no-one would complain.

Gene's ghost's vision.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

No, that was just an event that happens: the mirror universe is darker stretching all the way back to probably roman times. And they mention in ENT that all the classics (except Shakespeare) are different.

Still think that was a bad decision. The mirror universe stories are better if they are still potentially in our future. Examples of two different roads we could go down and us needing the choose the better one is a much more Trek style message.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Examples of two different roads we could go down and us needing the choose the better one is a much more Trek style message.

They already have that, the Kelvin timeline.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Senor Tron posted:

Still think that was a bad decision. The mirror universe stories are better if they are still potentially in our future. Examples of two different roads we could go down and us needing the choose the better one is a much more Trek style message.

I feel like the whole "This could be our actual future!" idea ran its course a long time ago. There's no reason - either in-universe or externally, from a storytelling perspective, that 'Star Trek,' or any fiction for that matter, needs to be so tied to the actual world.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

There should be a Christmas planet and we get a Christmas Trek special every year for the last 50 years.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Planet inhabited by Quanta who judges sentient lifeforms on whether they've been naughty or nice.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Just thinking about Klingon Santa...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tars Tarkas posted:

Just thinking about Klingon Santa...

Probably just 1:1 Krampus except it's dishonorable children that get taken away in a sack.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Khanstant posted:

There should be a Christmas planet and we get a Christmas Trek special every year for the last 50 years.

Have we ever had a Star Trek Christmas special on any of the shows?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
There was that time Riker gave gifts to everybody on the bridge crew

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

There was that time Riker gave gifts to everybody on the bridge crew

Does VD really count as a "gift", though?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Not THAT time!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like a normal episode, until they beam away to the planet for an away mission and the transporter sparkles are multicoloured and a gust of snow blows through the transporter room. A particular jolly and sleigh bell heavy rendition of faith of the heart begins

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Golden Gael posted:

None of the characters had real 'big swings' with their characterization either aside from M'Benga: Pike and Pelia were barely around, Una was basically the same as season 1 after the trial wrapped up, Spock's having an interesting enough go of it as he should be at this stage in life, Uhura was upset about Hemmer which is what I'd expect, and we still barely know anything about Ortegas. La'an gets to open up a bit but again that's not exactly a "big swing".

I feel like the La'an-and-Kirk episode and then Flying Blind being La'an's song was a huge missed opportunity in retrospect. Ortegas in those narrative roles instead would have given her a ton of depth in a way that I think would have been more impactful than with La'an.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Didn't they reduce Ortegas/Melissa Navia's role this season by her request while she handled the loss of her partner?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What do you mean reduced. She flies the ship. She still flies the ship.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I am just forgetful enough to surprised that the adult Gorn was a completely practical effect rather than CG, the same way the infant Gorn also turned out to be practical effects and not CG

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1691132580337532928

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wow, I am legit surprised by that. The editing made it look like they were trying to cut around the actors not being able to really interact with the CGI, but it was an actual practical effect :psyduck:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Practical suit, digital tail it looks like.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Legit love that SNW is using guys in suits and actors standing in front of (digital) backdrops

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was playing with ideas for a series that could use the now-doomed Enterprise-F.

Big ship. Big ship like that has to have a mall.

And malls have....Mallrats.

Kevin Smith Presents: Star Trek vs Mallrats. Episode 1: The Vulcan Stinkpalm.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Everyone posted:

Have we ever had a Star Trek Christmas special on any of the shows?

Closest I can think of off the top of my head is the one that starts with Data playing Scrooge on the holodeck.
That and the Christmas scene in Generations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Seemlar posted:

I am just forgetful enough to surprised that the adult Gorn was a completely practical effect rather than CG, the same way the infant Gorn also turned out to be practical effects and not CG

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1691132580337532928

Every time they showcase Peck in a video I laugh because the way he speaks (at least in the ones I've watched) is so methodical that he comes off like a legit vulcan.

To the extent that I always like to imagine this is how he always is, and they had to ask him "ok that was great but for this next take can you, like, act MORE human?" in Charades.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SpeakSlow posted:

I was playing with ideas for a series that could use the now-doomed Enterprise-F.

Big ship. Big ship like that has to have a mall.

And malls have....Mallrats.

Kevin Smith Presents: Star Trek vs Mallrats. Episode 1: The Vulcan Stinkpalm.

Set it in the lovely part of Enterprise-J City.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow, I hate this so much more than I could ever have imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I love the J, it's like a big pizza slicer in space