Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
This is pretty scary. Some NYPD officers smashed a kids’ head through a car window. In addition to the “normal” sadism being boosted in the replies (and the Krassensteins’ going right wing in response to getting money from Elon), Twitter is apparently copyright striking videos of the incident.

https://twitter.com/DJ33_TV/status/1687670421204680709

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/1687805317323599873

The media has already decided to never boost videos of police brutality ever again, and Twitter seemed like one of the few spaces where people were you could find people still actually mad about the 2020 pig orgy, even as it was equally full of people baying for the blood of black people. Now they’re trying to limit that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The death of twitter may play out over months or years, but I think it’s well on its way and irreversible at this point. Is it still called twitter or not? The fact that I don’t know means that it’s on the way out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That cutoff is perfect :discourse:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
So, um... Who, exactly, owns that copyright?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Morroque posted:

So, um... Who, exactly, owns that copyright?

Can’t watch the video cause it’s been removed but if it’s a police body cam then the copyright legitimately belongs to the cop(s).

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
If so, then that's an unfortunately sensible argument.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
poo poo was recorded with equipment our tax dollars paid for, that's some bulshit

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can’t watch the video cause it’s been removed but if it’s a police body cam then the copyright legitimately belongs to the cop(s).

if it’s a police body cam it’s a work for hire because the cop takes the video in the ordinary course of their job and it belongs to the police department

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

evilweasel posted:

if it’s a police body cam it’s a work for hire because the cop takes the video in the ordinary course of their job and it belongs to the police department

Doesn't really look like a bodycam to me. I suppose it could be but most likely Twitter is being dumb.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

evilweasel posted:

I don't know which particular video those two Twitter users posted, but it's unlikely to have been from a police bodycam. There were a bazillion people there with cameras - there were plenty of reporters and freelancers recording video for what was clearly a newsworthy event, and of course we all carry decent-quality video cameras in our pockets these days.

Also, the chances of bodycam footage being publicly available for something that happened two days ago are fairly slim. Getting the NYPD to release bodycam footage usually takes months, unless it's a particularly egregious incident that has drawn a direct response from the NYPD, and this doesn't seem to be one of those.

Who owns the copyright then? Honestly, it doesn't really matter that much. Platforms often don't put all that much effort into verifying that the person filing a DMCA takedown request actually owns the copyright, since there isn't any real legal consequence for an erroneous takedown. Twitter has long had issues with false copyright takedowns, and it's not like anything can really be expected to improve under Musk.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Everybody's said everything important about the particular situation, but I'd like to note that policy bodycam privacy concerns aren't entirely offbase, they're just abused for cop corruption. We really would prefer for the lapels of people who routinely barge into private yards, houses, and bedrooms to maybe not be 100% public all the time. obviously the nypd using delaying tactics for another angle of deliberate police brutality does not so much fall into that category

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If Elon thinks lifting weights has anything to do with a fistfight, I am even more delighted by his going hand-to-hand with Zuckerberg.

May they both lose.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Works produced by employees of the US Federal Government during their duties are generally part of the public domain. State governments are, as usual, a mess.

https://copyright.lib.harvard.edu/states/

The case law in New York would probably let municipal governments claim copyright over things like body camera footage, even if you could get copies of it through Freedom of Information mechanisms. IANAL or judge, though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

FOIA it and put it on YouTube.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Linda just straight up lying.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1689646515726508033

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

where have i heard this before. which metrics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9go38MgZ4w8

ah, there it is

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes, throwing the long and well known brand of ‘Twitter’ aside for the completely recognizable and totally not confusing brand of… “X”

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
at least a couple of times reading a random tweet in Safari on IOS I've tried to tap the X to close the tweet (even though it's in the wrong place and all, it's just muscle memory to tap an X to close stuff at this point)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
When I see the X instead of a bird when I navigate in-browser I keep thinking the page has failed to load.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Twitter has been straight-up playing different videos after a video (feature? bug? who knows?) and I'm sure THAT'S healthy and safe

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/michaelleung/status/1689908092035854336?s=20

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Meanwhile, in the real world...
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1689829267461242881?s=20
A lot of people focusing on the ridiculous name of the executive, but turns out he's a former Tory candidate and a BBC trustee.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Nick Pickles

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wonder if you can trick Elon into selling the old Twitter branding and someone just makes Twitter again and everyone goes to it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Republicans posted:

I wonder if you can trick Elon into selling the old Twitter branding and someone just makes Twitter again and everyone goes to it.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If Elon thinks lifting weights has anything to do with a fistfight, I am even more delighted by his going hand-to-hand with Zuckerberg.

May they both lose.

Update on this: Zuckerberg claims to have given up on arranging this after Musk repeatedly failed to give a date and time for this match to happen, as well as requesting a "practice match" beforehand. Zuckerberg says that Musk is "Not Serious".

In response, Musk claims to be outside Zuckerberg's house, ready to go. Zuckerberg is, of course, not home, and a spokesperson says "Mark takes this sport seriously and isn’t going to fight someone who randomly shows up at his house".

This is so loving stupid, and entirely par for the course.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Republicans posted:

Based on how things have gone so far, there's a significant chance the Twitter mark falls into the public domain after the company fails or forgets to renew it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NAME REDACTED posted:

In response, Musk claims to be outside Zuckerberg's house, ready to go.
Literally stood outside someone's house yelling "fight me bro" like a some drunk rear end in a top hat in an 80s movie.

Or lying about doing so and thinking it makes him look cool.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Guavanaut posted:

Literally stood outside someone's house yelling "fight me bro" like a some drunk rear end in a top hat in an 80s movie.

Or lying about doing so and thinking it makes him look cool.

He was actually in Ohio because he is an incredible loser.
https://www.threads.net/@elonmusksjet/post/Cv7LYg4uctQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

Based on how things have gone so far, there's a significant chance the Twitter mark falls into the public domain after the company fails or forgets to renew it
Doesn’t that take a long time?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

NAME REDACTED posted:

Update on this: Zuckerberg claims to have given up on arranging this after Musk repeatedly failed to give a date and time for this match to happen, as well as requesting a "practice match" beforehand. Zuckerberg says that Musk is "Not Serious".

In response, Musk claims to be outside Zuckerberg's house, ready to go. Zuckerberg is, of course, not home, and a spokesperson says "Mark takes this sport seriously and isn’t going to fight someone who randomly shows up at his house".

This is so loving stupid, and entirely par for the course.

This is probably just a publicity stunt from both sides, honestly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mercury_Storm posted:

It may have started as a publicity stunt on one side but then that side realized the other side didn't know it was a publicity stunt

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1691430400462028800?s=20

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gas fees?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

You have to spend extra money above and beyond the amount being moved to do anything with a blockchain. The money gets distributed among all the people doing the redundant work that takes the place of rigorous accountability in crypto. On the Ethereum blockchain, which is where most scams like this are run, the term for these fees is “gas”

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mercury_Storm posted:

I mean it's a good publicity stunt for Zuckerberg, via comparison he's coming off as way better, but Musk is making himself look like a total loser so I don't know what he's getting out of it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He gets not getting the poo poo kicked out of him out of it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean it's a good publicity stunt for Zuckerberg, via comparison he's coming off as way better, but Musk is making himself look like a total loser so I don't know what he's getting out of it.

He gets to chat with all his reply guys about how he'd totally kick the poo poo out of Zuck, and he gets to be in news headlines based on nothing more than a handful of blustering tweets. And of course, his own sycophants think he comes off like a total badass who's spooked Zuck into chickening out.

Overall, this gets him the thing he wants more than anything else in the world: attention.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is a minor thing but Twitter has officially renamed "retweets" to "reposts" which is hilarious. Just sandblasting that brand off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

“I’m a billionaire because I’m great at business”- Elon Musk, the guy who nuked a world-recognized brand name so that he could fulfill a 20 year fantasy to make a site called ‘X’