Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m so tired of this idea that people are being forced to perform gay marriages. I can tell you from previously working in a government office when gay marriage became legal that the people who didn’t want to do it didn’t have to. Just more work for the rest of us. These are also civil marriages which I think there is a general misunderstanding about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If Vivek was smarter he'd have framed it as "I wouldn't want gay people to be forced to officiate straight weddings if it goes against their beliefs". It's very damning he can't just go to bat for minority by eauovocating the same protections the majority takes for granted. Instead he's gotta just word salad his way through his right wing talking points at every opportunity. I guess people need to ask more specific questions next time.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm confused as to why Republican Andrew Yang is getting so much coverage relative to people who have actually won campaigns and have constituencies like Suarez or Hutchinson.

e: I mean I know it's because he says shocking troll stuff, like how Yang got more coverage than your Michael Bennetts because he had fun gimmick policies. So I guess I'm not actually confused, just irritated.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He just loves microphones. I think that is a major reason.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's probably also an aspect of candidates like him, Scott, and Haley being floated because it pushed back against the idea that the GOP is bigoted or all white men. Its kind of transparent because none of them are being taken seriously while Desantis, Christie, and Pence are all treated as the real candidates/threats to Trump. But I think they just kind of leave the POC candidates be since they pose no real threat and they can point to them to counter stuff later on.

But yeah, Ramaswamey also just seems to be seeking out media appearances. As isn't that basically how he got into this conversation in the firstplace? Being a POC "anti-woke activist." The GOP love those guys. To an extent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did Yang decide to go full GOP when I wasn’t paying attention? The last I checked he was with some independent group.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the OP was just calling Ramaswamy "the Republican Andrew Yang", ie two rich dudes who parachuted into the race and are getting an uneven amount of attention compared to their actual chances due to a degree of media savviness.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yang will probably end up as a Republican regardless

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I didn't even bat an eye at the thought that Yang might be Republican now.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Any radical centrist third party thing is a defacto think tank for status quo policy and messaging, so capital has a purestrain voice in the conversation they already dominate. They can thrive in the churn of boring political coverage up until actual elections come into focus and the fact that nobody is voting for these weirdos makes it harder to justify. For now! We'll see what miracle of capitalism makes things even worse.

Edit

Space Fish posted:

I, too, enjoy Renegade Cut.
Never heard of it but yeah it is what it is. People not psyched with current options? Let’s give them a worse one lol

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 17, 2023

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yang isn't conservative, dummies. He's just trying to find a common-sense middle-ground between fascism and neoliberalism.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Scholtz posted:

Yang isn't conservative, dummies. He's just trying to find a common-sense middle-ground between fascism and neoliberalism.

Andrew Yang is cordially invited to find a common-sense middle ground between deez nutz.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I can't help but feel this guy is the archetypal republican voter

https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1691433902630490112?t=Q7JwgP6jKehitHIUb2sUaA&s=19

quote:

The Democrat Party has destroyed the DOJ.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the FBI.
The Democrat Party has destroyed every blue city.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the CIA.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the rule of law.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the Constitution.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the border.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the banks.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the CDC.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the FDA.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the children.
The Democrat Party has destroyed trust in vaccines.
The Democrat Party has destroyed trust in doctors.
The Democrat Party has destroyed fair elections.
The Democrat Party has destroyed liberty.
The Democrat Party has destroyed free speech.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the Bill Of Rights.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the middle class.
The Democrat Party destroys everything it touches.
The Democrat Party has destroyed the USA.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Andrew Yang is cordially invited to find a common-sense middle ground between deez nutz.

Andrew Yang is cordially invited to universal my basic 'til I income.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1691433902630490112?t=Q7JwgP6jKehitHIUb2sUaA&s=19

It’s always projection.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

It’s always projection.

The first half of the list is awesome.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Love it or leave it, baybee

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

pangstrom posted:

Any radical centrist third party thing is a defacto think tank for status quo policy and messaging, so capital has a purestrain voice in the conversation they already dominate. They can thrive in the churn of boring political coverage up until actual elections come into focus and the fact that nobody is voting for these weirdos makes it harder to justify. For now! We'll see what miracle of capitalism makes things even worse.

I, too, enjoy Renegade Cut.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I will never forgive him for stealing a picture of beloved glasses-wearing meme cat Shironeko for his avatar.

EDIT: Wow, just discovered that Shironeko lived to be 18. I figured he died much longer ago than that.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Panfilo posted:

People in the replies are saying he gave such a good answer. How the hell is it a good answer?! He didn't really address the question, instead he sidesteps it to argue people shouldn't be forced to make gay wedding cakes or let trans women compete against cis women in sports.

And there's some rich irony there:
:v: "Majority of Americans support Medicare for all and gay rights"
:byodood: "Tyranny of the majority!"
:v: "Gay people should have the same rights and protections as straight people."
:byodood: "Tyranny of the minority!"

Isn't there uhhh a few things in the constitution Vivek is missing here?
I have to imagine that this sort of talk is going to make it hard for Vivek to take the reins of the famously tyrannical minority party.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

The guy I always kill at the end of Morrowind main quest for a second Wraithguard posted:

Adults are free to make whatever choices they want but do not foist that ideology onto children before children are in a position as adults to make decisions for themselves.
You're loving with us, right

Like PragerU Kids just off the top of my head

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Speaking of civil war talk...
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1691143334914572288?t=LgrA88lqFMkhbQYW9Hnv5A&s=19

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah seems like he’s gone full Nazi

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Panfilo posted:

I love that they've decided that calling it the Democrat party is some sort of amazing own, cus it always works out to be a weird dogwhistle instead.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Neito posted:

I love that they've decided that calling it the Democrat party is some sort of amazing own, cus it always works out to be a weird dogwhistle instead.

That's a Karl Rove Special IIRC.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If memory serves, I remember Rush talking about it, but that could've been Bush Era Rush and not Clinton Era Rush.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Neito posted:

If memory serves, I remember Rush talking about it, but that could've been Bush Era Rush and not Clinton Era Rush.

Now that I have a little time to look, it seems it's been in irregular intentional use for a long time but the full court press that resulted in it actually catching on and becoming A Thing was started in 2001 by Frank Luntz, not Rove.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I think it actually goes back to Newt Gingrich and Frank Luntz back in the 1990s.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I was calling Ramaswamy “Republican Andrew Yang” for the parallels mentioned by others. I also thought Ramaswamy was VC guy like Yang but he’s a hedge fund bro.

I doubt Yang considers himself a Democrat (or a Republican), he just ran in that primary because it’s the one that was open, and probably because of correctly recognizing that the GOP would never nominate a Chinese-American.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah seems like he’s gone full Nazi
I just hope that for all the young guys who follow people like Walsh over the cliff, a few realize what they’ve actually been supporting this whole time and jump ship.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

And if that's not possible, hopefully they find a less metaphorical cliff.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I mean, a quick peek at the replies to that tweet seems to indicate that Matt Walsh supporters knew exactly what was bubbling under the surface all along and were totally cool with it.

Come to think of it, I've never really encountered a "Matt Walsh guy" in the field. Like I've at least overheard people talking about Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson while out and about, but Matt doesn't seem to be a household name in the same way they are. Like, he's still influential (Evangelicals in particular have lovingly embraced his whole "what is a woman" schtick), but I don't know if his outrage-baiting stochastic terrorism has much appeal when compared to Benny inviting the youth to own the Libs with Facts and Logic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Racists argues that you can’t be American unless you’re white and it’s the duty of all white Americans to have more white children to preserve Americas whiteness. Doesn’t understand why you keep claiming this is racist.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

SithDrummer posted:

I have to imagine that this sort of talk is going to make it hard for Vivek to take the reins of the famously tyrannical minority party.

His name and skin color already disqualifies him. He will get the lip service respect that they always pay to tokens like Herman Cain and Ben Carson, but at the end of the day it will be Trump or some other white guy. This is the Presidency, not a governorship or congressional seat.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

predicto posted:

His name and skin color already disqualifies him. He will get the lip service respect that they always pay to tokens like Herman Cain and Ben Carson, but at the end of the day it will be Trump or some other white guy. This is the Presidency, not a governorship or congressional seat.

He's also Hindu so the more openly Christian supremacists in the party are denouncing him already.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I mean, a quick peek at the replies to that tweet seems to indicate that Matt Walsh supporters knew exactly what was bubbling under the surface all along and were totally cool with it.
Oh yeah, I would guess that the vast majority will keep humming along to the tune. He has not been subtle over the years. But maybe there's some people who are dumb enough to have missed it but good enough to reject it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

STAC Goat posted:

Racists argues that you can’t be American unless you’re white and it’s the duty of all white Americans to have more white children to preserve Americas whiteness. Doesn’t understand why you keep claiming this is racist.

I wonder if they remember when we brought a shitload of non white people over here to build the country for free? I thought they valued back breaking hard work for meager no pay?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I wonder if they remember when we brought a shitload of non white people over here to build the country for free? I thought they valued back breaking hard work for meager no pay?

They like to explain it as "it wasn't that bad, really, more like indentured servitude!" and then try to change the subject once you show them one of the hundreds if not thousands of photos of former slave's scarred backs from being whipped repeatedly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Angry_Ed posted:

They like to explain it as "it wasn't that bad, really, more like indentured servitude!" and then try to change the subject once you show them one of the hundreds if not thousands of photos of former slave's scarred backs from being whipped repeatedly.

Or bring up myths about white slavery.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Oh hey, as a music chart watcher, I've been following this whole Oliver Anthony saga with great interest. Just to provide some context, it seems literally nobody except maybe his immediate family had heard of this guy this time last week, but sometime this past weekend, his song "Rich Men North of Richmond" (or whoever brought the song to him) started climbing the sales and streaming charts really rapidly to the point it'll easily be the #1 song on the Billboard charts next week.

Looking around, the song is genuinely resonating with a lot of people (and surprisingly not exclusively with MAGA types), but it has enough right-wingish sentiments (like about fat fat fatty fats on welfare) that I'm not surprised right-wing influencers jumped all over it and helped push it to the moon. And no doubt there were some behind-the-scenes shenanigans. Conservatives have found there's definitely a paying audience for this type of stuff. Just look at "Sound of Freedom" and that Jason Aldean song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oliver Anthony posted:

I've been sellin' my soul, workin' all day / Overtime hours for bullshit pay / So I can sit out here and waste my life away / Drag back home and drown my troubles away.
Yeah man, cool. :)

quote:

It's a drat shame what the world's gotten to / For people like me and people like you / Wish I could just wake up and it not be true / But it is, oh, it is.
Ain't that the truth? Preach it, brother. :yeah:

quote:

Livin' in the new world / With an old soul / These rich men north of Richmond / Lord knows they all just wanna have total control / Wanna know what you think, wanna know what you do / And they don't think you know, but I know that you do / 'Cause your dollar ain't poo poo and it's taxed to no end / 'Cause of rich men north of Richmond.
:raise: Uhh, I feel like there are some red flags in there, but yeah stuff is hard, yeah...

quote:

I wish politicians would look out for miners / And not just minors on an island somewhere / Lord, we got folks in the street, ain't got nothin' to eat / And the obese milkin' welfare.

Well, God, if you're 5-foot-3 and you're 300 pounds / Taxes ought not to pay for your bags of fudge rounds / Young men are puttin' themselves six feet in the ground / 'Cause all this drat country does is keep on kickin' them down.
:stonk: Okay, uh-