Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

most east coast liberals used to be republicans and Christie taps into that ancient desire for a reasonable east coast republican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

WarMECH posted:

yeah that ~30% of the party that is all in on trump aint goin anywhere and the rest always fall in line so none of this poo poo matters

the gop is trump and has been for 8 years now

well no the rest didn't fall in line in 2018 or 2020 or 2022 nor during the majority of the special elections in which Dems have been overperforming. it's true that this poo poo doesn't matter as much as it should but it's also true that those small pockets of moderates/undecideds really do make the difference and they've been increasingly turned off by Trump and weird GOP poo poo ever since 2016. even if 90% of the people in that poll who said they wouldn't vote Trump do anyway that 10% is a major problem because they can't afford to lose any voters right now. it wasn't enough to win in 2020 despite the incumbent advantage, not sure how it's gonna work in 2024 now that he's facing 7000 felony charges, especially since all this poo poo is very much driving him insane, and it's not the type of likeable insanity that got people to vote for him the first time

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

euphronius posted:

most east coast liberals used to be republicans and Christie taps into that ancient desire for a reasonable east coast republican

Yes also he's not a mealy mouthed little slurmp that suckles at the teat of trump which goes super far for me, a lifetime Mid-Atlantic philly bitch.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Asproigerosis posted:

Yes also he's not a mealy mouthed little slurmp that suckles at the teat of trump which goes super far for me, a lifetime Mid-Atlantic philly bitch.

well, not anymore he's not

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

WarMECH posted:

trump activated a base that was not politically active until he came along so when hes gone they either go back to not caring/voting or they throw their support behind another unhinged narcissistic moron and neither of those scenarios bode well for the party

i don’t think any of the current hobgoblins in the gop can ever replicate trump he’s literally an icon, a once in a thousand years type of human

maybe some future zoomer failson recreates the magic somehow? but i dunno, trump was built under very specific circumstances that i don’t think imitators can ever capture

either way, future outlook is bleak overall, but i do know that there can only and will ever only be one donald john trump

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

euphronius posted:

he’s very appealing to east coast people for some reason

it's true. he's very good at talking like a normal person despite being a frothing ghoul. people were pretty sick of him here after his second term though. libs in deep blue states LOVE voting for normal sounding republicans though. always have, always will.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

Yeah he was clearly exactly that until very recently. He's even the one who caused trump to rage at the first biden debate by being too mean during debate prep lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
America longs for an Italian at the wheel, as long as the hands on that wheel are free of pudding.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

External Organs posted:

America longs for an Italian at the wheel, as long as the hands on that wheel are free of pudding.

America is named after an italian, after all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there have been more than 1 charismatic white supremacists in the past 1000 years

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

William Bear posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the next governor of the state of New Jersey:

this guy is like the ur-bostonian

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also keep in mind that it's not about GOP voters actually flipping and voting for Dems, they're never gonna do that no matter how many indictments Trump is under. But there are people who just gradually get disillusioned with Trump and sorta drift away from him over time and then like they've done most of their life before Trump they simply stay home. Voter enthusiasm is usually what decides elections, that's where Trump lost in 2020 and he might have an even bigger issue with that 4 years later. Over half of the country hates his guts to such a degree that it comes with a natural voter enthusiasm boost for Dems, and he only won in 2016 because he was up against the rare opponent who is equally hateable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Asproigerosis posted:

well he was that for years and years, he's trying to rebrand now

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

there have been more than 1 charismatic white supremacists in the past 1000 years

certainly, but only one of them was donald john trump!

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
was nathaniel bed for forrest even funny?? did he tweet about his love of mexicans while mugging over a taco bowl from his hotel branded restaurant? did he add new and amazing words to our everyday lexicon? i dunno, guy seems like a dweeb chup next to our trunmow

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

new kind of cat posted:

certainly, but only one of them was donald john trump!

that’s true his son is not charismatic

gregday
May 23, 2003

I recently discovered that a drink that’s about ¼ orange cream vodka mix and ¾ regular OJ is loving awesome. it tastes like an orange Julius with a slight kick from the vodka.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

new kind of cat posted:

was nathaniel bed for forrest even funny?? did he tweet about his love of mexicans while mugging over a taco bowl from his hotel branded restaurant? did he add new and amazing words to our everyday lexicon? i dunno, guy seems like a dweeb chup next to our trunmow

that one statue of him is pretty funny

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

euphronius posted:

that’s true his son is not charismatic

All eyes on barron, the last scion, the great white hope.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

*was* funny, guess it's gone now

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

gregday posted:

I recently discovered that a drink that’s about ¼ orange cream vodka mix and ¾ regular OJ is loving awesome. it tastes like an orange Julius with a slight kick from the vodka.

this sounds spicy

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Trump's advantage is that he was a household name for 40 years who'd been born into all the right advantages for a lifetime of shameless grifting, which meant that A) virtually every media outlet decided right from the get-go that he didn't really need to know what he was talking about and B) he was shameless enough to bullshit his way through everything without once having to face reality in a way that would spell death for other Republican candidates. there are thousands of parasites out there trying to do the exact same thing Trump did and none of them can, it's such a unique set of circumstances that I really don't think can be replicated

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

that one statue of him is pretty funny

lol ya i guess that was his william moon moment

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

JAMOOOL posted:

Trump's advantage is that he was a household name for 40 years who'd been born into all the right advantages for a lifetime of shameless grifting, which meant that A) virtually every media outlet decided right from the get-go that he didn't really need to know what he was talking about and B) he was shameless enough to bullshit his way through everything without once having to face reality in a way that would spell death for other Republican candidates. there are thousands of parasites out there trying to do the exact same thing Trump did and none of them can, it's such a unique set of circumstances that I really don't think can be replicated

It's the classic double-edged sword though because all that stuff is also why there's such a deep well of hate for the guy that will always be there and always show up in an election. Most political candidates haven't been hated by the general public for 4+ decades, it's what has propelled him but also at times acts as an anchor weighing him down.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You are not my Boroda

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Joementum posted:

Yeah I think the covid hosed up the part of his brain that made Trump's dick taste good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

just got word a.lo has been indicted on federal charges

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

euphronius posted:

Hell yes, and I keep thinking one particular one was really instructive as to how things are going with Turmpo.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

An actually effective gag order would cripple trump completely on the campaign trail. remember how impotent he got when twitter shut him down it will be even worse than that his base has a negative attention span if he can’t rant about the rigged indictments they’ll just wander off

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

goth smoking cloves posted:

The only thing christie has going for him is that he is willing to go on tv and say that trump is a loser that cost the gop several elections

It's not much but, he seems to be the only primary candidate that recognizes that you can't just stand there and take poo poo from trump

Sir, please do not call him a fat pig.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

Yeah I think the covid hosed up the part of his brain that made Trump's dick taste good.

or he decided that he wanted to run for president again

it's the same problem all these guys like DeSantis and Pence have, twelve months ago they all loved turpm

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Actual Satan posted:

Sir, please do not call him a fat pig.

asking trump not to use schoolyard bully insults on his opponents is like asking a flower not to bloom in the sun

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I still lol that for about 30 min Pence could have been like “I’m prez now” and people would have just gone along with it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/jamesdgreig/status/1691115340426514432?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Basebf555 posted:

The thing with Trump is he actively, often viciously, prevents any sort of succession plans within the party and attacks anyone he thinks may be rising too fast to where they could threaten his status. He's made this thing 100% completely all about him, and so when he inevitably keels over one day the whole thing will implode in a way that didn't happen in the past with other party leaders who have come and gone.

hell yeah

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Joementum posted:

or he decided that he wanted to run for president again

it's the same problem all these guys like DeSantis and Pence have, twelve months ago they all loved turpm

right I don't think the thing is that Trump is a particularly strong candidate, it's that they treated him like an infallible god for 5 years who was totally smart and cool and didn't commit any crimes. they even invented a term called "Trump Derangement Syndrome" to imply that anyone who didn't like him was suffering from a mental illness. kinda difficult to go from that to "actually, vote for me instead"

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

new kind of cat posted:

Yeah that's why I linked Stevenson instead of him. Stevenson thought he was King of America and would have been if he hadn't been a huge sex creep even by today's standards.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

another proud graduate of the Matt Walsh Handsome Beard Modeling School

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

It's very funny how all these chuds (including ones I know personally) are worried about how charging tump is "drity politics and dangerous to the unity of the country"

It's just people using politics to go after their enemies.

Also LOCK HER UP!