Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I legitimately thought the four knights were going to do something cool since they had unique designs, good joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Schubalts posted:

So I'm on the part of Giant Sister where they're in the capital.
How the gently caress do they keep reaching new lows for the humans of that world? The save point! The hand made accessories! Their whole country is theocratic trash.

I got the impression it was the inevitable reaction to a lifetime of heroes with cheat powers showing up and making a mess of things. They had to learn how to nip them in the bud, and from there to cruelty is but a few steps.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Schubalts posted:

So I'm on the part of Giant Sister where they're in the capital.
How the gently caress do they keep reaching new lows for the humans of that world? The save point! The hand made accessories! Their whole country is theocratic trash.

We haven't seen the otherworlders terrorizing the place like in 'No longer Allowed in Another World' but that might not have been the case 100 years ago. Nowadays I would assume that someone of the level of a Apostle Knight could handle the average transplant if they fight back and we see how people like the Death Loop kid can just get taken out by savvy normies. But I guess what is revealed in chapter 11.5 is also pertinent to this viewpoint. My take is that the church not only want to commandeer the transportation systems but definitely the cheats as well. Turning people into black boxes was probably a product of trying to analyze and steal other people's cheat powers in the first place.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Here's one I've been enjoying.

https://mangadex.org/title/a2e62666-3eac-4ea3-b0a2-1db36026103d/grand-dwarf

It's about an old-rear end mechanic. The sort of person you'd see doing youtube videos showing off amazing techiques to shape and smelt metal into cool poo poo. Then he dies.

And then he is Isekai'ed as a younger kid. He meets a healer and basically gives her a nuclear cannon, but she's all about being a nice person and a healer first and foremost and doesn't want to brutally murder everyone.

Throw in a 'lovely party that kicks the healer out' that gets completely ruined in a wonderful way, an impressively idiotic elf with almost no common sense, the old dude builds himself a nice wrench and uses it to bash the utter poo poo out of people, and it's just a fun time. Less than 10 chapters so far but it hasn't been too bad. Full of silly tropes, sure, but no slavery and the shitheel party gets screwed over in a wonderful display of Karma so hopefully it stays fun and dumb for a good long while.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

khy posted:

Here's one I've been enjoying.

https://mangadex.org/title/a2e62666-3eac-4ea3-b0a2-1db36026103d/grand-dwarf

It's about an old-rear end mechanic. The sort of person you'd see doing youtube videos showing off amazing techiques to shape and smelt metal into cool poo poo. Then he dies.

And then he is Isekai'ed as a younger kid. He meets a healer and basically gives her a nuclear cannon, but she's all about being a nice person and a healer first and foremost and doesn't want to brutally murder everyone.

Throw in a 'lovely party that kicks the healer out' that gets completely ruined in a wonderful way, an impressively idiotic elf with almost no common sense, the old dude builds himself a nice wrench and uses it to bash the utter poo poo out of people, and it's just a fun time. Less than 10 chapters so far but it hasn't been too bad. Full of silly tropes, sure, but no slavery and the shitheel party gets screwed over in a wonderful display of Karma so hopefully it stays fun and dumb for a good long while.

Yup been reading this one too, it's been interesting but man the accents in the dialog are.... interesting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
posted this in the panels thread, but it belongs here too:

OTHERWORLD BRAVE G-SHINE!

basically a proof of concept with a bunch of author's notes and no "real" ending, but what's there is cute. a princess of a besieged fantasy kingdom summons a hero from another world...and gets a Brave robot as the Hero. It's got less pages in its entirety than a typical one-shot, but it's neat. I like him parking transformed in the stable overnight because he doesn't want to scare the locals, and when he loses his combining partner, the dwarves slap together a bunch of mecha-sized knight's armor and equipment for him to wear. it's neat!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new speedrunner isekai chapter

I actually really want this to get an anime. unlikely at least for a while, but MAN it would be fun to see this stuff in action, especially if they had people on staff or got assistance from people familiar with the scene.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

I actually really want this to get an anime. unlikely at least for a while, but MAN it would be fun to see this stuff in action, especially if they had people on staff or got assistance from people familiar with the scene.

The one thing he doesn't mention is that the constant "Yah!" sound you make while cartwheeling also drove speedrunners mad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Do they actually do that? Ban movement methods from speedrunning for health reasons?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

off the top of my head I'm not aware of any "this strat is banned because it's hell on your hands" but it is the kind of thing that a "no major glitches" type run might enforce. I do know that most of the longer 100% speedruns of ring fit allow/used to require breaks so you didn't die speedrunning the game for 24 hours straight

and obviously a ton of runs will ban certain movement techniques because they're unfun to watch/play

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Clarste posted:

Do they actually do that? Ban movement methods from speedrunning for health reasons?

Does allowing rapid fire functions (up to a certain number of presses per second) instead of making you mash the attack button count? I know at least one of the Mega Man games has that in its standard speedrun rules.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Clarste posted:

It generally doesn't happen as a ban. You make a no-cartwheeling category, everybody switches to it, nobody plays any%, and then no-cartwheel gets renamed any% and the "real" any% gets renamed to any%-cartwheel-oldversion.

Last major incident I remember was with the Elden Ring "zip" glitch, which was banned that way for being unreliable and hardware dependent.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
been reading thru a bunch of salaryman isekai wanting a slow life ones

rather than truck-kun

its heart-attack from overwork/stress-kun that gets them.
village development slow living ones are pretty chill

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

GateOfD posted:

rather than truck-kun

lolling remembering the backstory of tanya, who is such a prick as a salaryman that they get murdered by somebody they fired

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
and the lesson he took is to doubledown on his black company management lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

this series is just screaming to be animated, every joke would land better animated lol

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Homeless Friend posted:

this series is just screaming to be animated, every joke would land better animated lol

Deadpan speedrunner voiceover wpuld be great too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GateOfD posted:

rather than truck-kun

I think my current favorite is that one and 'The Galactic Navy Officer Becomes an Adventurer'
https://mangadex.org/title/48221bce-0fd2-4519-b5f3-4fdc1921007b/the-galactic-navy-officer-becomes-an-adventurer

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

nrook posted:

lolling remembering the backstory of tanya, who is such a prick as a salaryman that they get murdered by somebody they fired

I read up on that and wasn't the guy a deadbeat druggy who'd show up to work high as kite and generally be terrible with pre-isekai Tanya trying to help him out before just firing him because he got to be too much? I remember this being brought up in a thread and looking it over. Like, he was still a hardass. But it seemed like hardly a cackling evil manager since any normal management would have fired the guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

doomrider7 posted:

I read up on that and wasn't the guy a deadbeat druggy who'd show up to work high as kite and generally be terrible with pre-isekai Tanya trying to help him out before just firing him because he got to be too much? I remember this being brought up in a thread and looking it over. Like, he was still a hardass. But it seemed like hardly a cackling evil manager since any normal management would have fired the guy.

Yeah, and basically he/she is a hostage in the whole thing, with God/Being-x trying to force him to stop being an atheist. Its a really weird scenario. He was just really efficient as a boss, and the guy who got fired/killed him was just incompetent.

Still an awful person in their reincarnated form.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tanya started as a moderately unpleasant person and became a monster to spite god.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

CommieGIR posted:

I think my current favorite is that one and 'The Galactic Navy Officer Becomes an Adventurer'
https://mangadex.org/title/48221bce-0fd2-4519-b5f3-4fdc1921007b/the-galactic-navy-officer-becomes-an-adventurer

read this one, yea its neat.
reminds me of Gargantia

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tanya started as a moderately unpleasant person and became a monster to spite god.

To be fair, Being X is a dick.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GateOfD posted:

read this one, yea its neat.
reminds me of Gargantia

It really deserves an anime adaptation.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

doomrider7 posted:

I don't think the druggy is necessarily the case, or at least it's not explicit in the prologue. It merely mentions being offered therapy, which could well be for being in massive debt and depressed. The rest sure, but that's more of an indictment on management rather than exonerating the MC. Anyone who thinks PIPing someone is the company trying to help is a bit delusional. MC is absolutely not a good and helpful person on earth, but a stereotype of heartless management focused on efficiency

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't think the druggy is necessarily the case, or at least it's not explicit in the prologue. It merely mentions being offered therapy, which could well be for being in massive debt and depressed. The rest sure, but that's more of an indictment on management rather than exonerating the MC. Anyone who thinks PIPing someone is the company trying to help is a bit delusional. MC is absolutely not a good and helpful person on earth, but a stereotype of heartless management focused on efficiency

The way I remember it mentioned was that the guy had a drug problem of some kind which made him difficult to work with and slowing things down by making the rest of the office uncomfortable and unpleasant. The company or MC tried offering him therapy and when that didn't work is when they axed the guy. I remember it hardly coming off as a metaphor of soulless management when I read it and more a character who IS a dick and kind of a hardass doing something unpleasant, but necessary. I'll need to look for it again, but that was my take on it.

Edit: Off-topic, but there was a series by the Tanya author that was drawn by an artist I liked. Will post when found.

Found it.

Ashita no teki to Kyou no Akushu wo

Art is by the author of Veil

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 15, 2023

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

The way I remember it mentioned was that the guy had a drug problem of some kind which made him difficult to work with and slowing things down by making the rest of the office uncomfortable and unpleasant. The company or MC tried offering him therapy and when that didn't work is when they axed the guy. I remember it hardly coming off as a metaphor of soulless management when I read it and more a character who IS a dick and kind of a hardass doing something unpleasant, but necessary. I'll need to look for it again, but that was my take on it.

If this is mentioned it is either not in the prologue or it was changed for the LN, manga, anime, or the english translations of the same. The guy's listed offenses were: missing work a couple times, failing the company's PIP (aka make busy work to force people to resign), having "low value," being in debt, and refusing therapy. Maybe it's because of drug abuse. Or maybe the dude was depressed af working the 996 schedule while earning a pittance. Or maybe both in some order or another. Yes you can argue the MC did nothing wrong rationally, but that same rationality is what drives businesses to grind their workers into the ground. Even if the MC didn't do anything specifically wrong, he willingingly and happily (?) plays his part in the machine of a late-stage capitalist hellscape takes the hit for it. Basically the whole series is the MC's rationality bearing less than expected results for them, this is no exception.

Like this whole thing comes with a long description of the stanford prison experiment and "anyone is capable of being a prisoner guard in Auschwitz."

doomrider7 posted:

Ashita no teki to Kyou no Akushu wo

And here I was expecting baikoku kikan

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
There is also no mention of the employee being drug addicted in the fan translation of the prologue.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Weird becuase it got brought up, but I'll take your guy's word for it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I mean it could also be the case of author said something at some point but totally wrote something else in the actual novel. He apparently said it's not based on ww2, yet there's literally rommel the desert fox fighting an armored campaign in africa (among many other things) so...

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

The Tanya thing is adaptational changes as it moved from medium to medium

Going from the web novel-light novel-manga-anime the fired employee went from like, being a druggie with debt problems who was a bad worker and causing problems, to eventually "missed work a couple of times and failed the improvement plan". Basically the further distilled the work became, the more they made salaryman/tanya a more of a dick by removing some of their redeeming qualities.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TheFlyingLlama posted:

The Tanya thing is adaptational changes as it moved from medium to medium

Going from the web novel-light novel-manga-anime the fired employee went from like, being a druggie with debt problems who was a bad worker and causing problems, to eventually "missed work a couple of times and failed the improvement plan". Basically the further distilled the work became, the more they made salaryman/tanya a more of a dick by removing some of their redeeming qualities.

Stuff like that kind of irritates since they change how you view certain people and events in the story.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

gwrtheyrn posted:

I mean it could also be the case of author said something at some point but totally wrote something else in the actual novel. He apparently said it's not based on ww2, yet there's literally rommel the desert fox fighting an armored campaign in africa (among many other things) so...

Their uniforms and unit appearance also reflect World War 2 stylings, so not surprised

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

Stuff like that kind of irritates since they change how you view certain people and events in the story.

Completely understandable to change once it becomes apparent that people have no reading comprehension and will happily rationalize everything that you don't hammer in as bad and even a lot of the poo poo you DO hammer in. It's really just a progression from "I can be a little subtle" to "gently caress subtlety" to "How do they still think Tanya is a hero?" and it's kind of depressing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

NinjaDebugger posted:

Completely understandable to change once it becomes apparent that people have no reading comprehension and will happily rationalize everything that you don't hammer in as bad and even a lot of the poo poo you DO hammer in. It's really just a progression from "I can be a little subtle" to "gently caress subtlety" to "How do they still think Tanya is a hero?" and it's kind of depressing.

Fair point. I was actually thinking of another series when I typed that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NinjaDebugger posted:

Yeah, its also why I couldn't really get into Tanya, a lot like Overlord where Einz steadily becomes more and more awful and it just becomes kinda like a snuff manga.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its also why I couldn't really get into Tanya, a lot like Overlord where Einz steadily becomes more and more awful and it just becomes kinda like a snuff manga.

same, i liked it as long as he was like 'yea i don't really care that much about humans to be a hero'

to actually going out of his way to be kind of mean, i really lost interest. especially in the tomb. adventurer's arc where he pretty much tricks a bunch of adventurer's to raid his home and acts all mad that they did and kill them

and its so lazy that the explanation why he's the way he is is because his character's traits is that he doesn't feel much emotion, and because he's a non-human race, he wouldn't care much.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Ainz didn't get mad because they invaded he was mad because they lied about knowing his friends.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Guyver posted:

Ainz didn't get mad because they invaded he was mad because they lied about knowing his friends.

True, but regardless Einz goes from acknowledging mentally he's just a human playing along to being a outright violent psychopathic despot, and its cringey as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The first thing he did in magic land is force crush someone's heart. Like a week later he bear hugged a woman till he slowly broke most of her bones because she inconvenienced him.

He was always a violent psychopath. Just because he thinks he's normal doesn't mean he is.