Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My workplace has my personal cell phone number only because they took away our desk phones as a cost saving measure and if they pulled that poo poo with me I'd be going to HR in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I first saw goatse when I was in grade school and it didn't make me cry or even really bother me. I know I'm terminally online but, while I would believe they said it happened, I don't believe it really did. What kind of whiny piss babies do they hire to simulate attacks on corporate infrastructure

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hughmoris posted:

I like to imagine Juliet gets to the office at 8:05 AM, sits down with her first cup of coffee, and begins to read responses to yesterday's phishing attempts. Suddenly, she's sobbing.

Horrors!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

"not requiring the need for"

What the gently caress

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

update: that was them asking for the thing

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Shugojin posted:

update: that was them asking for the thing

Not in English it wasn't.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Speech-to-text struggling with the thick Indian accent.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

No it was just a white guy who was over-writing his email in an attempt to sound smart

I knew what he wanted but his company did some bad work for ours back when they were contracting that annoys me at least once a week so I made him say it in a sane way

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Feels like Azure AD is currently in the process of making GBS threads itself, logins are veeeeerrry slow

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Shugojin posted:

No it was just a white guy who was over-writing his email in an attempt to sound smart

I knew what he wanted but his company did some bad work for ours back when they were contracting that annoys me at least once a week so I made him say it in a sane way

When your attempts at erudition fail,
No one is fooled by your insipid words.
You hide your shameful face behind email,
Hoping to buffalo with words in herds.

Instead, use language familiar:
"Please" and "Thank you" and your "Would you kindly";
Worry not about words peculiar.
And compose your dialect unblindly.

Whenever you speak with that foolishness
Your intentions are led so far astray.
With your brazen display of mulishness,
You embarrass those you wish to obey.

This wisdom of mine I beg you to heed;
Otherwise you might look like a dickweed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

:golfclap:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

:thurman:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

:master:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Kurieg posted:

My workplace has my personal cell phone number only because they took away our desk phones as a cost saving measure and if they pulled that poo poo with me I'd be going to HR in a heartbeat.

you know that poo poo getting leaked.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Is there a network remote power cycle device that is worthwhile? I've never bought one, and Amazon's offerings like the UIS-622b seem stuck in prior decade.

It for my bosses PC which he says he has to come in to power cycle now and then do to lack of access.

Should I just be buying a TP-Link smart switch and calling it a day? I guess my question is, "Are all the ones I see old because IoT-type devices have superseded them?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tapedump posted:

Is there a network remote power cycle device that is worthwhile? I've never bought one, and Amazon's offerings like the UIS-622b seem stuck in prior decade.

It for my bosses PC which he says he has to come in to power cycle now and then do to lack of access.

Should I just be buying a TP-Link smart switch and calling it a day? I guess my question is, "Are all the ones I see old because IoT-type devices have superseded them?
The correct answer would be diagnose and resolve the actual problem. Power cycling with a smart switch is something you do with a lovely appliance you're stuck with and can't otherwise troubleshoot, like an ISP-provided cable modem. Something with a real operating system that writes to disk regularly should be power cycled only as a last resort.

My immediate assumption if a non-technical user told me that was happening would be that the computer is going to sleep, so the first thing I'd check is the power management settings. If your boss can provide a specific time when he last had to reboot it you can also take a look at the Event Viewer and see if there are any interesting logs preceding that time, also useful would be knowing what state the PC was in when he got to it. Was it entirely off, asleep, awake but offline, frozen, etc?

Ideally the next time it happens it could be reported and a tech could look at it before he reboots it, but depending on when its happening and how impatient the boss is that may not be a practical possibility.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 15, 2023

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Tapedump posted:

Old PC with an optical drive that you can script to cycle the tray whenever the thing needs power cycling and a poking implement taped to it so it hits the reset switch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Figure out why they are doing a Remote Desktop session to an office PC and fix it so they don’t need to do that

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Figure out why they are doing a Remote Desktop session to an office PC and fix it so they don’t need to do that

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

Usually it's because CAD or Adobe sucks rear end via VPN when your file server is on prem. RDP to an office desktop is a cheap and easy fix for an IT team that has no time or money.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

a ticket came in. guy from hr is trying to share a ms form as a template with other staff. he tells me the link he's giving them doesn't work and names three specific people with the problem. i test the link myself and it works. i send the link to the guy next to me and it works for him too. i call each of the three people he named. the first two are having no issues and the third one is mad at me for interrupting her. thanks gary

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:yotj:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

About god drat time. Congrats!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh hell yeah! What great news on a Friday. Congrats!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hell yeah! :yotj:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What a way to start the weekend!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Weedle posted:

a ticket came in. guy from hr is trying to share a ms form as a template with other staff. he tells me the link he's giving them doesn't work and names three specific people with the problem. i test the link myself and it works. i send the link to the guy next to me and it works for him too. i call each of the three people he named. the first two are having no issues and the third one is mad at me for interrupting her. thanks gary

*Matt Berry voice* gently caress you Gary

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Hell yeah. Hopefully you have found your pod.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

gently caress yes!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Congratulations!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Congrats! Hope you've got some buffer for time off, and remember the notice period is a courtesy. If you get any lip, down tools and walk out.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:toot: Congrats :)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Awwwwww hell yeah. Congratulations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Woohoo!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Congrats, Witch!!!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Congrats! Hope you've got some buffer for time off, and remember the notice period is a courtesy. If you get any lip, down tools and walk out.

I got laid off months ago, actually :ohdear:

This might be a little premature because I don't have an actual offer in front of me yet but they called after I got turned down for a PM position to let me know about a non-advertised management position in support they wanted to me interview for. I'm the only one they're considering, the interview went great, the director said I'm a perfect fit and the only next step is to sit down with the VP (who recommended me in the first place) to hammer out compensation next week.

I feel pretty confident it's mine, but my fingers are still super crossed.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

A Frosty Witch posted:

I got laid off months ago, actually :ohdear:

This might be a little premature because I don't have an actual offer in front of me yet but they called after I got turned down for a PM position to let me know about a non-advertised management position in support they wanted to me interview for. I'm the only one they're considering, the interview went great, the director said I'm a perfect fit and the only next step is to sit down with the VP (who recommended me in the first place) to hammer out compensation next week.

I feel pretty confident it's mine, but my fingers are still super crossed.

gently caress, sorry. Dunno if I missed it or you didn't share it.

Good luck sealing the deal!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Weedle posted:

Recipients are ignoring Gary's messages because he's an annoying twat and he's not getting the hints.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

i have ascended to a level beyond "per my last email"

the dreaded "per your last email"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I once got four replies deep in replying to someone's question with an attachment of the last email I sent them on the topic, which contained an attachment of the last time before that they asked etc. The problem with trying to subtly call a stupid person stupid is that they don't realise and just thank you for doing it.