Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

quote:

With their production schedule, I doubt they could afford the man-hours.
Response to this general comment/defence that probably goes without saying, that's likely true, but their production schedule is totally their own creation. It's not like the Justin Trudeau is giving them a decree they need to publish X videos/week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I keep coming back to thinking that maybe Linus sees himself as basically Tech Bro Steve Jobs, in which case, does hiring a CEO to replace him make this his John Sculley moment?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SourKraut posted:

I keep coming back to thinking that maybe Linus sees himself as basically Tech Bro Steve Jobs, in which case, does hiring a CEO to replace him make this his John Sculley moment?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If you’re not pulling for love, why are you pulling?

e: this isn't the fate/grand order thread >:[

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 15, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

slidebite posted:

Response to this general comment/defence that probably goes without saying, that's likely true, but their production schedule is totally their own creation. It's not like the Justin Trudeau is giving them a decree they need to publish X videos/week.

I don't mean this as a defence of LTT, but that's not completely true. It's pretty obvious that they do need to keep up their unsustainable production schedule because it's the only way to balance the books in the wake of their massive expansion and/or whatever dubious financial decisions were made back when everyone was sat at home in quarantine watching tech videos.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

He's Elon Musk. He's building the everything channel.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

slidebite posted:

The youtube algo pretty much is giving them that decree, if they want to stay at the top of youtube's rankings.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't most people at LMG work for their creator warehouse aka merch store anyway?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Do they still have their production for hire section active? I remember a while back it was talked about how they did a bunch of contract editing work for Canadian media.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Linus? Turn down money?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I thought the labs were a giant expensive thing Linus unilaterlly forced and is now a sword of damocles hanging over the company which can not afford to slow down.

That move triggered the new CEO, the heavy merch push and I suspect some background deals.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

The youtube algo pretty much is giving them that decree, if they want to stay at the top of youtube's rankings.
The capitalist mindset of constantly improving year over year growth is one that is inherently unsustainable, even if you completely ignore the fact that people are going to be burned out by it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The capitalist mindset of constantly improving year over year growth is one that is inherently unsustainable, even if you completely ignore the fact that people are going to be burned out by it.

I mean, they’ll keep dialing up pay just enough to keep the burnt out people going until they completely break, at which point the person leaves or gets fired, then replaced by a much cheaper option.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of runway still left for that mindset…

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

GN response to Linus's response in the HW News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3byz3txpso

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
lol good thumbnail

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

lol

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

It just gets worse

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

No one should by this overpriced water block.

Now buy my $250 backpack.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
No, I will not the spend the price of the backpack to properly test their block.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Linus’s forum post accuses gammers nexus of saying “ltt sold the block.”

Gammers nexus clearly reported it was actioned off for charity.

I know they reported right because they are the only reason I know the auction happened.

Linus is once again more worried about his wallet and speed of posting vs being accurate and apologetic.

His forum post was so bad I unsubscribed.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The fact that he lied about having already come to an agreement with Billet is pretty egregious. He knows GN was in contact with Billet. How did he think he was going to get away with that lie?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

He mailed billet back 2 hours ish after GN's video, so "we already agreed to reimburse them"-blog post is talking about a 60 minute old "agreement".

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Rinkles posted:

HU has a bit of response, but don't really say much (I only watched this abridged version).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcSkrkXd2H0

Tim is fairly critical, Steve a little more forgiving. Kind of feels like he doesn't want to step on anyone's toes, but maybe I'm misjudging him.

That pretty much summarizes HBU. Tim generally seems far more objective.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The fact that he lied about having already come to an agreement with Billet is pretty egregious. He knows GN was in contact with Billet. How did he think he was going to get away with that lie?

I love that companies/people continue to make this mistake after GN puts them on blast about something.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

How is that LMG video channel thing going these days?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Lienus Theft Tips

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Lienus Theft Tips

:pusheen:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

ERR_FAILED indeed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Imagine saying you’ve done a thing and not thinking GN wouldn’t immediately contact the people involved to see if you’re lying.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I generally defend LTT and their goofy poo poo they do, and I also do think that Linus *generally* wants to run a good company, but his response to this is extremely stupid.

Steve just handed you a gift - an opportunity to reset and revisit your process in a way that lets you draw a clear line between 'before' and 'after'. You could have just taken that and ran with a bog-standard apology, and even if you don't change anything, you *still* come out looking pretty good as 'guy who (at least pretends) to care'.

And instead, Linus can't get over himself for more then 30 minutes and just argues semantics. It's so dumb and down right embarrassing.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Vir posted:

I think LMG is going to handle this badly

We've reached cryptobro-tier shenanigans. I didn't even catch the weasel-language about the monoblock payment timeline. I'll do better next time.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I generally defend LTT and their goofy poo poo they do, and I also do think that Linus *generally* wants to run a good company, but his response to this is extremely stupid.

Steve just handed you a gift - an opportunity to reset and revisit your process in a way that lets you draw a clear line between 'before' and 'after'. You could have just taken that and ran with a bog-standard apology, and even if you don't change anything, you *still* come out looking pretty good as 'guy who (at least pretends) to care'.

And instead, Linus can't get over himself for more then 30 minutes and just argues semantics. It's so dumb and down right embarrassing.

That's the thing: LTT, and Linus, as a goofy clown tech channel are actually reasonably entertaining which is why they have the audience that they do. But Linus' ego is so loving huge that he wants to be taken seriously as a hardcore real tech journalist, too. But, he's not willing or capable of doing it properly. And he lashes out at any criticism which is hilarious because he is on record advising his fans to hold companies to a certain standard, but when he is asked to live up to that standard, too, he cries and says he's doing his best and we all just need to trust him.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

"We didn't sell it, we auctioned it!".... jesus loving christ!... i'm out of words on that reply. :ughh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
“Good news! It’s not just sitting on a shelf somewhere! It is being reverse engineered by your competitors!”

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Kazinsal posted:

Wendell would be on Team Steve as well, which means we need to find the opposite of Wendell for Team Linus.

Maybe some YouTuber who still uses hacked together pirated versions of Windows 7 and has to reformat weekly to clear out the malware because he still refuses to upgrade.

What about the techtuber who likes to do whole episodes using very racist Chinese accents?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Very tired of rich out of touch white guys making a mess of things because someone hurt their feelings once. It’s at gonna be really funny if the LTT fanbase starts mass downvoting GN videos forever and ever now.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

mA posted:

What about the techtuber who likes to do whole episodes using very racist Chinese accents?

no no no it's not racist because his UNCLE has an accent.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

priznat posted:

“Good news! It’s not just sitting on a shelf somewhere! It is being reverse engineered by your competitors!”

No worries there, remember it's a bad product that no one should buy, so no one will want to reverse engineer it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mA posted:

lol BitWit has a Floatplane channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
He’s got major founder-brain. He can’t separate himself from his company and has a hard time apologizing for much of anything. It’s gotten worse over time and it’s sad.