Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/USEmbassyAddis/status/1689901220167610368?s=20

weird collection of countries for a joint statement on Ethiopia. Maybe this is still being viewed through the lens of relations with China by the west?

quote:

Fresh Fighting in Ethiopia Leads Israel to Evacuate More Than 200
Less than a year after the war in the country’s northern Tigray region ended, Ethiopia’s military is battling an ethnic militia in the neighboring Amhara region in a part of Africa already ravaged by conflict.

By Abdi Latif Dahir
Reporting from Nairobi, Kenya

Aug. 11, 2023, 1:08 p.m. ET
Fighting between Ethiopia’s military and a local ethnic militia in the northwestern Amhara region has intensified in recent weeks, pushing the government to block the internet and declare a state of emergency and leading Israel to evacuate more than 200 Ethiopian Jews and Israelis.

The clashes follow monthslong tensions over Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s proposal to dismantle special regional forces nationwide and integrate them into the army — a move Amhara nationalists said would undermine security in their region.

The ethnic militia, known as Fano, had been allied with Mr. Abiy in his two-year effort to crush rebel fighters in the neighboring Tigray region, but it is now battling the military in an effort to preserve Amhara’s regional forces.

Less than a year after the Tigray war ended, the fresh fighting threatens to plunge the country into another conflict, analysts say, and could undermine stability in a region already dealing with a war in Sudan that has sent refugees fleeing into Ethiopia.

The latest rift, they say, also undercuts Mr. Abiy’s efforts to centralize power in the federal government and rein in ethnic-based political groups vying for dominance in Africa’s second-most-populous nation.

By Friday, federal authorities said the army had reclaimed control of the cities and towns it had lost and promised to resume government services in the Amhara region. But officials and observers remained concerned that Fano militants would launch new offensives, particularly from rural areas where they have large support.

Residents in several cities across the region said businesses remained shut and many families were still unable to find food even as they marked the holy fasting days of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.

“We were victims of Covid-19, and then the war in Tigray and now this conflict has followed,” Kidane Hailu, a tuk-tuk driver in Lalibela, a UNESCO World Heritage site known for its rock-hewn churches, said in a phone interview. “I am tired.”

The United States and several other nations said in a joint statement on Friday that they were concerned about the violence and urged parties to address the crisis “in a peaceful manner.”

The roots of the latest fight go back to April, when the government announced it would disband regional forces. Ethiopia has 12 federated regions, each of which has its own forces, regional leaders and councils.

But Mr. Abiy’s plan was met with resistance in the Amhara region, where local populations protested, accusing him of wanting to extend his dominance in the region and leave them exposed to even more attacks — accusations he denies.

Amharas, the country’s second-largest ethnic group, have also been unnerved by their omission from the talks that brokered peace in Tigray. They say that deal didn’t take into account the disputed lands their fighters seized during the war.

Rights groups accused both the Amhara regional forces and the Fano militia of committing widespread abuses during the Tigray war. (Tigrayan rebels have also been accused of carrying out human rights violations.)

Hone Mandefro, from the Amhara Association of America, a U.S.-based advocacy group, said many Amharas feel, “No one is listening to us,” adding, “The status quo is unbearable.”

In response to the April protests, authorities launched a sweeping crackdown that resulted in the arrests of hundreds of activists, journalists and local leaders.

Federal security forces also began clashing with Fano militias, with the violence reaching its most intense this month when authorities accused the militias of trying to overthrow the federal government.

The latest violence enveloped major towns and cities, including Bahir Dar, the regional capital, and Gondar, a major commercial city close to Sudan’s border. The militias also took over the airport in Lalibela, according to a British government travel advisory. Fighting also flared in Debre Birhan city, where residents reported incessant mortars and artillery shelling early this week.

While there hasn’t been an official tally of casualties, residents in several towns reported more than a dozen deaths collectively. In Shewa Robit town, one resident who spoke on the condition of anonymity for safety reasons said he saw two bodies lying on the street and had attended the funeral of five other people killed in the clashes.

Temesgen Tiruneh, the director general of the national intelligence service, who is also overseeing the administration of the state of emergency, said on a state broadcast that the Fano militia freed prisoners, looted government buildings and destroyed documents in the towns they captured.

The escalating crisis pushed the Israeli government to order the evacuation of 204 people on four different flights from cities including Gondar, which Ethiopian Jews have long called home.

“When we spoke to some of the people, we could hear the shooting from their windows,” Lior Haiat, a spokesman for the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said in an interview.

The latest crisis adds to the multitude of economic, social and political problems facing Ethiopia. Violence has continued to tear through the Oromia and Gambella regions, forcing many more people from their homes. Millions continue to face food insecurity too, even as the World Food Program this week resumed distributing food following a monthslong pause because of theft and corruption.

To de-escalate the situation, analysts said it was prudent for the government to seek dialogue with aggrieved parties.

“Ethiopia is the region’s pivotal state, borders six countries and has historically been an anchor of security,” said Murithi Mutiga, the Africa program director at the International Crisis Group.

While the latest fighting is in “the early days and could be contained,” he said, “the consequences for the region will be serious if it evolves into a slow-burning insurgency that could draw in neighbors.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/11/world/africa/ethiopia-fighting-war.html

NYT article out today is decent. ENDF has recaptured some towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

their turnout always sucks but this recent one was the lowest ever

sorry for blurry, it was all i could find

i see so what youre saying is that putin destroyed nigerias democracy with memes just like hes trying to do in the united states a most disturbing development

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Atrocious Joe posted:

weird collection of countries for a joint statement on Ethiopia. Maybe this is still being viewed through the lens of relations with China by the west?

yeah it's really weird group of countries. i guess they view ethiopia is one of the few african places they feel like they can exert naval influence in?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

crepeface posted:

yeah it's really weird group of countries. i guess they view ethiopia is one of the few african places they feel like they can exert naval influence in?
Yeah, it's some kind of prototypical "South Pacific Treaty Organization". Which make me wonder how they perceive Russian's influence expansion in Africa.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
It's the Five Eyes Alliance but Japan is subbing for Canada.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

crepeface posted:

this would be highly difficult

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Votskomit posted:

i guess the UK are finished with subbing now that Truss is gone.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

crepeface posted:

:eyepop:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

crepeface posted:

:chanpop:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Punished Turtle posted:

everyone itt should have to label a blank map of Africa

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

This will just enrage people. America wants to put its puppet TPLF back in power is what FANO will be screaming, while Oromo nationalists will say that America is supporting Amharas like they always do.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 16:09 on Aug 12, 2023

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

:emptyquote:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

couldnt remember what the island nation between madagascar and the mainland is called

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/GaroweOnline/status/1689998717342875651

Civil war in somaliland deepens.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Punished Turtle posted:

I don't think a 100 km strip of Somalia is really a large barrier to America's navy doing things in Ethiopia, if that's what you are referring to. The distance between Bahrain (center of the 5th fleet) and Addis Abbaba is coincidentally about the range of an F-35. I guess the far west of the country is out of tomahawk range.
Of course it's unlikely for a bunch of other reasons.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sixth episode of madame secretary has mostly been boring the west slash woman hating country of the republic of west africa is gonna do a genocide madame secretary heroically sticks her neck out to get us involved blah blah blah a reference to france being too busy to help because theyre peacekeeping in like five countries is almost interesting but not interesting enough to post

what is interesting enough to post is the plot twist of madame secretarys husbands seminary professors church camp smuggling iranian guns to mexican cartels because thats the only way to get suffering refugees into europe when there isnt sufficient war to stop the refugee crisis just such a hilariously batshit conflagration of international political issues im lovin it

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
sounds like cape town needs actual public transport instead of a patchwork of private minibus corpos.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

sounds like cape town needs actual public transport instead of a patchwork of private minibus corpos.

The strike ended on Friday. A 14 day ceasefire.

Cape town has some public transport, but they serve mostly the ("previously") white areas.

The new Mayor is going all in on infrastructure with a massive investment, and our national rail service, PRASA, has been actually doing some stuff again by opening railway stations in Cape town. But all this is done under a neoliberal context so I'm not holding my breath.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Votskomit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vU7XqToZso

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Votskomit posted:

The strike ended on Friday. A 14 day ceasefire.

Cape town has some public transport, but they serve mostly the ("previously") white areas.

The new Mayor is going all in on infrastructure with a massive investment, and our national rail service, PRASA, has been actually doing some stuff again by opening railway stations in Cape town. But all this is done under a neoliberal context so I'm not holding my breath.

yeah I know. Either way, the way cape town is spread out, even under a neoliberal context you need better public transport at some point because the city keeps expanding towards stellenbosch.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Megamissen posted:

couldnt remember what the island nation between madagascar and the mainland is called
Comoros. It's nice you remembered that Cabinda is occupied and raped by Angola.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

PawParole posted:

Marvel Hegelism

That is a very good Hegel

crepeface posted:

lol

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 11:03 on Aug 13, 2023

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

:smuggo:

https://www.geoguessr.com/vgp/3163

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

pssh, that's easy

ohh, you mean all the countries in Africa. never mind.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I guess some people would find that an acceptable score.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/nyemerriek/status/1690347564095188992

Massacre in Southern Ethiopia.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1691045681069268992

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

https://twitter.com/Sprinter99800/status/1690432643911806978?s=20

Culture warriors can't conceive of anything outside of culture war terms, which is why they have to make up quotes like this.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How did Iran get back on the menu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI0liuVTe9o

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/psychicautomata/status/1691045654619901952
https://twitter.com/psychicautomata/status/1691093465965494273

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Culture warriors can't conceive of anything outside of culture war terms, which is why they have to make up quotes like this.

it works for that section of people tho

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7262662413374360838

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I just found out that South Africa didn't have TV until 1976 because they feared that A: the sight of white and black people inhabiting the same space on American TV shows would lead to race mixing, and B: black South Africans were so poor the white government thought that advertisements would breed resentment among them. And when they did finally get TV they segregated it. There was a TV channel for the whites and a TV channel for the blacks.

What a country!

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I just found out that South Africa didn't have TV until 1976 because they feared that A: the sight of white and black people inhabiting the same space on American TV shows would lead to race mixing, and B: black South Africans were so poor the white government thought that advertisements would breed resentment among them. And when they did finally get TV they segregated it. There was a TV channel for the whites and a TV channel for the blacks.

What a country!

Same year the Soweto riots happened, because... Well.

The apartheid government purposefully kept Africans as uneducated and impoverished as possible, so that they can be a source of cheap labour for mines and farms. The main sponsor of the National Party was a mining magnate after all.

This policy of oppression was a """sensible""" economic decision for mines and farms mostly. However it hinders industrialisation and further economic development when the majority of the population cannot even read.

The government kept people uneducated not just by refusing to educate Africans using government funds, but by passing the Bantu Education act which actively stopped anyone from educating Africans. The Anglican church was a major source of education for Africans, but had to do so in secret.

Eventually the apartheid government realized they had a shortage of educated labour and started to educate Africans a bit. However they wanted to do it in Afrikaans, which as you can imagine is not sensible for children who don't speak Afrikaans.

The youth revolted, leading to the Soweto riots and continued violent clashes for decades.

My mother became a teacher in about 1975. The next year, she was told to be careful. She was told to carry a gun and not drive alone at night. She was told that things are suddenly dangerous. But she has no idea why. She did not find out why until a decade or more later.

The information segregation in South Africa was intense, and very effective.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They're playing the old hits.
https://twitter.com/avsec_pro/status/1690761260055371776?s=20

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they are valiantly combating western imperialism (by jailing and killing homosexuals)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol okay, I'm increasingly convinced that ISIS is a western proxy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

they are valiantly combating western imperialism (by jailing and killing homosexuals)

It’s not illegal to be gay in Burkina Faso. the quote is fake.

Frosted Flake posted:

lol okay, I'm increasingly convinced that ISIS is a western proxy

https://www.dni.gov/nctc/ftos/isis_west_africa_fto.html

the US gov has been keeping track of all of ISIS-West Africa’s most notable attacks and wouldn’t you know it, they’re all in Nigeria up to now.
:thunk:

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Aug 15, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I’m going to psy op all the faggots I know into BDSing a colonialism ravaged African country :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

What do Fascist Italy, Nazi Germany and Social Democrat Sweden all have in common? Sterilising ethnic minorities!