Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Malignant loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I wish Malignant hadn’t come out during the pandemic because it would’ve been a great one to see with a crowd. I actually did go see it in a theater but it was a matinee with only like three other people there

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I have issues with Malignant (I think it's overlong and I waver on it being so deeply stupid being a pro or a con) but it's original, gross, and a ton of fun. It's a good time and the longer I go the fonder I get of it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's me, the Malignant Not-Liker

Way too long, ugly as hell, dumb as rocks. It certainly has good moments and their heart was in the right place, though. Not bad, but forgettable.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Way too long, ugly as hell, dumb as rocks. It certainly has good moments and their heart was in the right place, though. Not bad, but forgettable.

One word I would not use to describe Malignant is “forgettable”

I still see the chair shot everytime I close my eyes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

feedmyleg posted:

Who hurt you

WeaponX posted:

One word I would not use to describe Malignant is “forgettable”

I still see the chair shot everytime I close my eyes

Same here, every once in a while I'll think about it and just laugh hysterically.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think about the woman grinning in the background during the jail scene while everyone's freaking out

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmyleg posted:

I don't wanna dogpile you because people like what they like and that's cool and good.

But also, yeah it's dumb. That was the point. It's set in a TARDIS-like house that's normal on the outside but 45 feet floor to ceiling inside. Every part of the production is ridiculous.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The quaint Victorian house with the interior square footage of an airplane hanger, industrial fans included.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The loving attic reveal is so incredible because I think she completely phases through the second floor to drop from the Doom Attic to the first floor, too?

God that movie ruled

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is the malignant screenplay anywhere online? That's one I'd like to read

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

On my first viewing I rated it low because it was dumb as rocks, and I don't think anyone can be faulted for not liking that it's dumb as rocks. Me and my partner fell out of it hard early on and gave Gabriel an Uter-From-The-Simpsons voice every time he appeared for some reason. But that's somehow transitioned into a fondness for how goopy and weird it is, though I'd never consider it a favorite. Stupid as hell and way too long, for sure, but forgettable? Certainly not.

The attic reveal was absolutely amazing, lots of great weirdo moments in that movie. The prison riot kicked rear end. It's such a stupid film and your enjoyment of it depends on whether you love or hate that it's stupid while trying to pretend it's anything but.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I also love that Malignant had the balls to tell you the ending right in the beginning credits.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Malignant (2021)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Honestly, my biggest complaint about Malignant was that they color-graded it like one of those Mike Flanagan Netflix shows, which sapped a lot of the fun.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3775165/the-toxic-avenger-first-image-remake/

quote:

Get ready to meet Winston Gooze in The Toxic Avenger remake, which will have its World Premiere at this year’s Fantastic Fest, in Austin, Texas (September 21 – 28).

“A horrible toxic accident transforms downtrodden janitor Winston Gooze into a new evolution of hero: THE TOXIC AVENGER!” Fantastic Fest writes of writer/director Macon Blair‘s (I Don’t Feel At Home in This World Anymore, Green Room) fresh take on the Troma classic.

The above image teases a first look at the new Toxie, an appropriately named Winston Gooze, played by “Game of Thrones” star Peter Dinklage. While there’s no release date just yet, expect that to follow soon after its Fantastic Fest debut.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah malignant really needed to cut some of the boring parts in the first half and let us more of the stupid basket case slasher villain with electricity powers

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Is the malignant screenplay anywhere online? That's one I'd like to read

I remember listening to some podcast that had a guest who worked on the movie and they said the script was pretty straight forward and all the crazy stuff was added during production, the one specific example I remember was the cliffside hospital parking lot.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1691480913467592704?s=20

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Now I want them to keep going back in time with these until we get like V/H/S : DAGUERREOTYPE and V/H/S : LITHOGRAPH.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Why are we stuck in the 80s/90s here? They had vhs tapes in the 70s.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

WeaponX posted:

probably save that for part 7

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Found footage giallo please

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why haven’t they made VHS: Ratmaa Power Hour

That’s what we want goddamnit

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ratmaa vs Malignant vs Psycho Goreman

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Honestly, my biggest complaint about Malignant was that they color-graded it like one of those Mike Flanagan Netflix shows, which sapped a lot of the fun.

Even that would be a fine gag if it was just the parts in the first act before it wilds out

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

CelticPredator posted:

Ratmaa vs Malignant vs Psycho Goreman

vs M3GAN.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Her and Art show up in the sequel!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I finally watched last year's Hellraiser and someone should have warned me that it was a Thirt13n Ghosts remake someone slapped a Hellraiser skin on

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If only it was as good as Thir13en Ghosts

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

WeaponX posted:

They turned down a pitch for a V/H/S Christmas movie, which seems like a great idea, so. :shrug:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
V/H/S: Beta

The entire franchise self-annihilates in a burst of hard gamma radiation

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

:VHS:
:8MM:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

VHS: Kinetoscope and VHS: Zoetrope are going to slap

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
VHS Cave Drawings

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

This could actually work

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

I'm surprised to hear it called ugly. I remember thinking it was surprisingly gorgeous for how mid it was otherwise (until it picks up, at least).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Malignant opening is the part that always trips me up. It gives away too much too early, but I always wouldn't want to change it because it's so gloriously stupid

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It primes you for the insanity. It got me very much in the mood, and the twist was still affective. I thought gabe was a tumor on the run lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

It primes you for the insanity. It got me very much in the mood, and the twist was still affective. I thought gabe was a tumor on the run lol

100%. I was sure the "twist" was gonna be that he grew his own arms, legs, and body.