Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the Hostomel airport has tried to be rewritten historically, but in actuality, it didn't seem the causalities were especially heavy (some helicopters did get shot down, but not enough to disrupt the operation), and they were able to secure at least a portion of the airfield until they were relived. It wasn't an uncontested landing, but it wasn't the debacle it was tried to be rewritten as. If anything the VDV did quite considering there was a brigade nearby, it is just that Russia's plan was very inflexible and was written for political not military concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slavvy posted:

They overall plan didn't work because they Ukrainian government didn't immediately surrender as expected but the vdv operation itself seemed to go really well

Air assault dot txt

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

Air assault dot txt

So you think the Russian government wanted to surround Kiev so the VDV could get their "dick wet"?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Who dares wins. Sometimes you just have to go for it. Ensuring junior officers must get parachute wings and air assault qualifications to advance their careers is just common sense.

Ardennes posted:

So you think the Russian government wanted to surround Kiev so the VDV could get their "dick wet"?

That giant paper on the corporate culture of Airborne forces in modern militaries, including Russia, suggests that possibility.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

If that was ever going to work it could have been done overland and in fact they basically did do it overland

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Considering how the rest of the war went, I don't think the VDV were short shrifted on seeing action. What with having to hold Herson for a couple of months.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Considering how the rest of the war went, I don't think the VDV were short shrifted on seeing action. What with having to hold Herson for a couple of months.

Getting to see action is different from getting to show everyone what big dick paratroopers they are and make sure everybody gets the right awards

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

That giant paper on the corporate culture of Airborne forces in modern militaries, including Russia, suggests that possibility.

:yeah:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

If that was ever going to work it could have been done overland and in fact they basically did do it overland

Belt and braces. They did it overland AND with an airborne assault to maximize the chances of success. The objective of the plan wasn't attainable because of a massive political miscalculation on the part of the Russian government but that didn't make it a stupid or pointless plan; if the Ukrainian government was more like Georgia it would be lauded as a brilliant lightning operation that mitigated overall casualties.

A good analogy is that D-Day would almost certainly have still succeeded even if the airdrops never happened, and even though they went pretty badly irl the allies still gained more than they lost by doing them. The resources would not have been better spent on more landing craft or DD Shermans or whatever.

FF posted a book/paper a while ago talking about Russian doctrine where air assault is considered one component of a general offensive.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The relief of the VDV at Hostomel was so successful that it occurred three times: first when Ukrainians relieved the VDV of the need to hold the airport by forcing the VDV off the objective, and then again by Russian ground forces who finally made it to the airport and forced Ukrainian defenders off the objective, then a third time when Ukraine retook the airport and held it indefinitely.

This just shows that flying in a bunch of light infantry to seize an airport next to enemy conscripts, national guard, and artillery worked three times in quick succession.

Credit where it's due: wise of the Russian forces to abort any plan to land Il-76s at Hostomel.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I wonder when folks are going to get the hint about "Dropping light infantry way ahead of a main force" being kind of a bad idea unless you can ensure the main force can arrive more or less on time (you can't ensure anything in a war).

Market Garden would have worked IF.....

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
every once in a while I think about glider infantry and am still blown away that multiple militaries thought that was a good idea, good enough to train and equip thousands of soldiers and build hundreds of gliders and actually use the things in combat in multiple major operations

what a lovely job, you didn't get any of the extra pay or prestige that came with being a paratrooper but still got all the danger, and the glider pilots had all the training and prestige of a truck driver (in the US, at least, the Brits treated theirs better)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

Remember, the VDV by holding a portion of the airport also forced the Ukrainians to deal with it which meant those units couldn't go further down the road to reinforce whatever frontier units the Ukrainians had. It is just the Ukrainians who then flooded the Irpin and made it moot.

I think you want to at least some type of air assault capacity in your back pocket to make sure the other side needs to respect it and I really don't think they went into Kiev just for some cred.

-----

Personally, I don't think it would have ever succeeded even if the Russians had brought far more ground forces, it isn't just the Irpin, but urban combat gets extremely messy quickly, and once the Ukrainians could stabilize, it was going to be a massive siege. The Russians should have focused on isolating Kiev and then positioning their reserves to divide the Eastern half of the country while isolating the capital. The war would have taken time, but it wouldn't have been nearly the slog as right now.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Remember, the VDV by holding a portion of the airport also forced the Ukrainians to deal with it which meant those units couldn't go further down the road to reinforce whatever frontier units the Ukrainians had. It is just the Ukrainians who then flooded the Irpin and made it moot.

I think you want to at least some type of air assault capacity in your back pocket to make sure the other side needs to respect it and I really don't think they went into Kiev just for some cred.

-----

Personally, I don't think it would have ever succeeded even if the Russians had brought far more ground forces, it isn't just the Irpin, but urban combat gets extremely messy quickly, and once the Ukrainians could stabilize, it was going to be a massive siege. The Russians should have focused on isolating Kiev and then positioning their reserves to divide the Eastern half of the country while isolating the capital. The war would have taken time, but it wouldn't have been nearly the slog as right now.

Which made thenpull back from Keiv make no sense to mez until the Russians came and said they had a provional deal, pulled out of Kiev and got double crossed by Ukraine thinking the Wunderwaffe will save them

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KomradeX posted:

Market Garden would have worked IF.....

Letting paratroopers into the ops planning is like letting Marines into the procurement meetings

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

Which made thenpull back from Keiv make no sense to mez until the Russians came and said they had a provional deal, pulled out of Kiev and got double crossed by Ukraine thinking the Wunderwaffe will save them

Arguably, it was at least partially face-saving on Russia's part, I don't think their positions around Kiev were that tenable in the long-term just based on geography and road access that said. I think they could have forced the Ukrainians to come to them like they are doing right now through a bunch of minefields. The failure of the Russians was to assume this was a negotiable conflict in the first place.

It is also why I think after the Russians have learned that lesson this is just going to be a drag out fight until the end. I don't think they will allow Western Ukraine to have an independent political existence either.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Russian troops getting even kinda, sorta, near Tbilisi caused Georgia to seek terms. With that in mind, even if the plan wasn't militarily viable, strictly speaking, neither were "little green men" popping up outside bases all over Crimea. Both the dash to Tbilisi and the rapid deployment of VDV, Spetsnaz and Naval Infantry around Crimea achieved their political objectives before they faced a serious military test that might have exposed faults in the plan. If Russian planners were working around the same assumptions, a coup de grace on the capital would secure victory without the relief column even having to fight their way to their relief.

In historical terms, there's a difference in setting objectives between something like Pegasus Bridge, which had to be within a few hours march of Sword Beach because it was known they would have to fight through stiff resistance, and German paratroopers landing near Rotterdam, who were only saved by the Dutch government capitulating.

I also think that within the VDV and Spetsnaz it's possible that Operation Storm-333 has taken on the same kind of legendary status that traps other institutions in trying to recreate the apotheosis of past glory despite changing circumstances. The Royal Navy was doomed to try to recreate Trafalgar, which dictated British naval thinking at least until Thatcher weakened them to the point that they no longer had the ability to even contemplate it. The Imperial Japanese Navy had the same dynamic with Tsushima until that institution was destroyed as well, that time by the Americans. The German Army, famously, was always trying to live up to the rapid manoeuvres against larger foes of Frederick the Great.

So, to tie this all together, there has been a lot of great literature about the Royal Navy in the Far East recently. Specifically, historians have started to examine why very smart and experienced officers decided to send out Force Z. HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse could obviously not achieve what they were sent out to do, repulse the invasion of Malaya by raiding the Japanese invasion fleet. There is plenty of evidence that everyone concerned had good reason to know that. What was the purpose of this plan?

Well, it's what Nelson would have done. Given the choices of staying in port or recreating the Battle of the Nile, there was no decision at all. This can be seen even more clearly in how they talk about another navy in a similarly dire situation, the Kriegsmarine at River Plate:

The Russian Airborne had a history of bold raids that didn't really achieve much, the two significant airborne operations of WW2 were the Vyazma operation of February–March 1942, involving 4th Airborne Corps, and the Dnepr/Kiev operation of September 1943, and bold raids that worked out, Storm-333. It seems like it was predetermined that institutional support would be behind something along those lines.

The last point I want to make is that the American Airborne and Airmobile forces made sure that both Desert Storm and the 2003 invasion of Iraq had their plans specifically modified to include them, even if it was of negligible military value. A cynical person might say that this was done so that the units involved could make combat drops and carry out an air assault for their own sake, and that no officer within those institutions could reasonably speak out against the opportunity to do so.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Aug 15, 2023

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

*watching maybe the best air assault force in the world get bodied by a bunch of draftees and shoved off their objective with heavy losses thanks to "concentration of force, logistics, and artillery don't stop existing because you came in a helicopter"*

Agreed. You need to arrive in a rocket

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2021/8/13/space-force-dreams-of-using-rockets-to-supply-warfighters

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Buck bodgers in the 21st and a half century.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

uhh.... that's an ICBM w/o the payload.

*don't worry, it's just troops*

so who or what is it for?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

every once in a while I think about glider infantry and am still blown away that multiple militaries thought that was a good idea, good enough to train and equip thousands of soldiers and build hundreds of gliders and actually use the things in combat in multiple major operations

what a lovely job, you didn't get any of the extra pay or prestige that came with being a paratrooper but still got all the danger, and the glider pilots had all the training and prestige of a truck driver (in the US, at least, the Brits treated theirs better)

glider infantry was about expediency: building a passenger/transport plane to do paradrops can be expensive, relative to building a wooden glider that can "just" be towed by not-dedicated aircraft that you already have

that's why the British and the Germans did it, but the Americans for the most part didn't need or want to

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Buffer posted:

uhh.... that's an ICBM w/o the payload.

*don't worry, it's just troops*

so who or what is it for?

To launch rich people into the sun.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

stephenthinkpad posted:

To launch rich people into the sun.

full funding, proceed space force.

you know what, I'm so pleased with this I'm going to go back to calling the air force the least constitutional branch.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The jig is already up on this one

quote:

The military envisions procuring this capability as a service rather than buying its own rockets.

New frontiers in mic grifting

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Oh, Ithica, I remember that thing from Atomic Rockets.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There have been at least two recent good books about Glider Infantry, and the gist is that they were essentially helicopters before helicopters became technically feasible. They were an effective way to deliver light infantry with more substantial equipment than could be parachuted, and who would all arrive together rather than scattered.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In that context it makes perfect sense and clearly the weak point in helicopter based operations is that they're suddenly too expensive to be disposable like gliders were

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:qq::qq::qq::qq:
Advisor to Chairman Says Holds on Military Confirmations Hurt Total Force

www.defense.gov posted:

Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman Ramón "CZ" Colón-López said he faces a daily reminder of the risks posed by the ongoing delay of Senate confirmations for military nominees. 

Each morning when he walks the halls of the Pentagon before receiving his daily briefing alongside the Joint Chiefs chairman, Colón-López passes the portraits of the nation's most senior uniformed leaders entrusted with advising the president and secretary of defense on pressing matters of national security.  

He said the ritual has long given him confidence that the nation's fighting force is in good hands. 

Now, the empty frames that once held the portraits of the commandant of the Marine Corps, chief of staff of the Army, and chief of naval operations signify empty seats at the table where critical decisions are made. 

"For the first time in my tenure — in four years — I'm now walking past a wall that is empty of pictures," Colón-López said.  

"That is not right," he said. "We owe our people better. We need those leaders appointed so that they can take care of their services."  

As many as 301 general and flag officer nominations have been delayed in the Senate as a result of the blanket hold put in place in February by Sen. Tommy Tuberville of Alabama. 

Three service leaders are among those awaiting Senate confirmation. Marine Corps Gen. Eric M. Smith last month took over as acting commandant of the Marine Corps. This month, Army Gen. Randy A. George took over as acting chief of staff of the Army, and Navy Adm. Lisa M. Franchetti became acting chief of naval operations. 

It's the first time in decades that any one of the branches has been led by an acting service chief — and the first time in history that three have operated without confirmed leadership at the same time. 

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark A. Milley, the nation's top uniformed military adviser to the president, is slated to retire next month with no guarantee of a confirmed replacement.  

There has only been one other instance in history of a gap in having a confirmed chairman. That was in 1993 when Army Gen. John Shalikashvili assumed the chairmanship following Army Gen. Colin Powell's tenure.  

Shalikashvili's assumption was delayed for less than a month due to the timing of his replacement as NATO's supreme allied commander of Europe.  

Colón-López, who advises Milley on matters involving the health of the force and joint development for enlisted personnel, said negative impacts to the service members will grow if the holds continue. 

"Our people, from the most junior to the most senior, are very aware of what's going on," Colón-López said. "They're seeing it. They're feeling it. And they're wondering why." 

"Decisions are going to be stalled," he said. "Families are going to be put in hardship because of uncertainty." 

Most immediately, Pentagon officials have warned that the delayed appointments at the senior officer ranks will delay new assignments throughout the ranks. The cascading delays put families with school age children at a disadvantage if forced to move in the middle of a school year.  

Colón-López said thrusting the military in the middle of a political fight could also erode the drive within the ranks and among potential recruits required to serve the country as members of the nation's fighting force.  

"In the military hierarchy, everybody answers to somebody," Colon-Lopez said. "Just to put this into context, imagine if the top leadership is gutted, and that guidance is not coming from the president to the secretary to the services to be able to execute the mission via the combatant commands? What happens when you don't have proper guidance coming from the top? 

"That's setting up an organization for failure," he said. "That is giving an advantage to the enemy. That is the impact that not having Joint Chiefs and a chairman confirmed has on the total force. The youngest person may not see it, but they will feel it."  

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the 300 generals and flags to command less than one tenth of the WW2 sized force.

New doctrine: every squad leader is now general rank.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

I'm the 300 generals and flags to command less than one tenth of the WW2 sized force.

The Fijian strategem

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Every worker soldier a member of the board general

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

DancingShade posted:

look at how blinged out they are though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1692104876749381916

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://twitter.com/Jerrykkk888/status/1692005106387173615?t=c02oCJ5sPjfQm0NH_UbyMA&s=19

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pfft. That's only over half the length of the pacific ocean. It'll be fine.

Just ring those Ukranians who figured out the secret sauce to shoot down hypersonics with a 100% success rate and ask for the recipe.

Good thing the USA has a large hypersonic arsenal such as

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

General Says Deterring Two 'Near Peer' Competitors Is Complex :thunk:

www.defense.gov posted:

U.S. Strategic Command is focusing on extended deterrence during a time when the country faces two near-peer rivals, said Air Force Gen. Anthony J. Cotton yesterday. The command continually assesses the threats and examines the command "for sizing and the right force posture to meet the challenges which we would face," he said during U.S. Strategic Command’s Deterrence Symposium in Omaha, Nebraska. 

Russia has long been a near-peer competitor to the United States, with around 5,900 nuclear weapons in manned bombers, intercontinental missiles and submarine-launched platforms.  

China today has around 350-400 nuclear weapons, and Chinese leaders have announced a program to have more than 1,000 nuclear weapons by 2030. Cotton said officials at U.S. Strategic Command take this development seriously. "What we assess and what we look at day-in and day-out is where are [the Chinese] on their readiness? Where are they on the total number of forces?" he said. 

In February, Cotton notified Congress that China’s ground-based systems — which include road-mobile and silo-based weapons — "actually exceed the numbers that we have. We're not seeing any indication that they're slowing down," he said. 

China is also developing a nuclear triad. Cotton said Chinese H-6N nuclear/conventional bombers "are air-to-air refuelable, and they're practicing air-to-air refueling."  

China’s navy has nuclear-armed submarines that are "a full-fledged submarine leg" of the triad, the general said.  

The Chinese also have a mix of mobile and fixed intercontinental missiles.  

"That’s why, in my opening statement this morning [at the symposium], I said as commander of Strategic Command I am now dealing with two near-peer competitors," he said. 

Deterrence of two near-peers is a complicated process, Cotton said. Intelligence officials must look to different capabilities, different capacities and different personalities in the leaders of near-peer nations. Still, Americans need to understand that the United States must move forward. U.S. extended deterrence rests on having credible, survivable systems. This is why U.S. nuclear triad modernization is so crucial, the general said. 

Cotton gave a quick rundown on this, saying he is very comfortable with the B-21 Raider bomber the Air Force is developing. "That sixth-generation airplane is, I think, in a really good place," he said.  

Columbia-class ballistic missile submarines — which will replace the Ohio-class boats — are scheduled to join the fleet in 2031. "I'd much rather say that by 2030, we would have the last Colombia … in the water, as opposed to a decade later than that," he said. 

On the Sentinel missile program — which will replace the Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles, Cotton was positive. "I’m optimistic that we’re going to … do well," the general said. "The Minuteman III system, to be frank, is still an effective weapon system. As the former commander of Global Strike Command, the problem with any legacy system is the fact that the sustainment is so burdensome on the young airmen that have to maintain those weapons systems."  

Sentinel will be more efficient on sustainment. "That’s why I'm looking forward to the transition to more modernized open architecture systems," he said. 

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's fine, the USA has all that massive industry for sustainment leftover after WW2.

To the people in charge that was just the other week, so they know what they're doing.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

We will overwhelm them with wave after wave of Aircraft Carriers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The patch of the 75th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Squadron revealed at the unit's activation ceremony on Aug. 11, 2023

quote:

The United States Space Force has activated its first and only unit dedicated to targeting other nations' satellites and the ground stations that support them.

The 75th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Squadron (ISRS) was activated on Aug. 11 at Peterson Space Force Base in Colorado. This unit is part of Space Delta 7, an element of the U.S. Space Force tasked with providing intelligence on adversary space capabilities. It'll do things like analyze the capabilities of potential targets, locate and track these targets as well as participate in "target engagement," which presumably refers to destroying or disrupting adversary satellites, the ground stations that support them and transmissions sent between the two.

Lt. Col. Travis Anderson, who leads the squadron, said in a Space Force statement that the idea of a dedicated space targeting unit has been years in the making. "Today is a monumental time in the history of our service," Anderson said. "The idea of this unit began four years ago on paper and has probably been in the minds of several U.S. Air Force intelligence officers even longer."

The unit's patch was also unveiled at its activation ceremony, revealing it to be adorned with a grim reaper that has a delta shape for a nose. According to a Space Force statement, the delta represents "historic ties to the earliest days of the U.S. Air Force space community" as well as "all variations of space vehicles" that support the U.S. military.

Master Sgt. Desiree Cabrera, 75th ISRS operations superintendent, said the new unit will revolutionize the targeting capabilities of not just the Space Force, but also the entire U.S. military: "Not only are we standing up the sole targeting squadron in the U.S. Space Force, we are changing the way targeting is done across the joint community when it comes to space and electromagnetic warfare."

The 75th ISRS will also analyze adversary space capabilities including "counterspace force threats," according to the Space Force's statement. Counterspace forces refer to adversary systems aimed at preventing the U.S. from using its own satellites during a conflict.

These systems range from ground-based lasers that can blind optical sensors on satellites to devices that can jam signals or conduct cyberattacks to hack into adversary satellite systems.

These aren't limited to America's adversaries; the U.S. Space Force has conducted multiple training exercises to practice its own "live fire" satellite jamming and "simulated on-orbit combat training."

As militaries worldwide become increasingly reliant on space-based assets like navigation and communication satellites, early warning missile tracking systems and targeting sensors, the Space Force's and other nations' militaries will no doubt be increasing their abilities to monitor both defensive and offensive adversary capabilities in Earth's orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it's a skull