Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sataere posted:

It isn't just PFF that is garbage for advanced stats. Advanced stats in general are questionable for football. It is hard to isolate who is successful and who isn't in a sport that relies heavily on what the components around it are doing.

I mean sorta, composite all in one stats don't work as a catch all for individual players really, but like Air Yards/ADoT or CPOE, or EPA are like all stats I use to evaluate players(and by players mostly QB's since most Advanced stats only work on QB's and Running backs for fairly obvious reasons)

Like all analytics/numbers, they should be used as a backstop in a sanity check and or an "oh wait, why does this player who I didn't think that highly look better from an advanced stats" perspective.

PFF's player grades are done by whatever number of analysts they have and is closer to the poo poo that an NFL scout might write after watching tape on a player/prospect to rank them than anything specifically like numbers based. Which like all Human interpretation based grading with incomplete knowledge is only so useful.

Stats are what they are, useful for saying specifically at what that stat is quantifying and not much use outside of them.

Most people should not give a poo poo about them, as generally just like watching games/tape and the box score will tell you what you need to know, unless you are a nerd who cares too much about this dumb poo poo(hey hi hello).

Mostly, it's just extremely fun to look at Jimmy Garoppolo's Air Yards vs YAC stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
PYFPFF

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

I mean sorta, composite all in one stats don't work as a catch all for individual players really, but like Air Yards/ADoT or CPOE, or EPA are like all stats I use to evaluate players(and by players mostly QB's since most Advanced stats only work on QB's and Running backs for fairly obvious reasons)

Mostly, it's just extremely fun to look at Jimmy Garoppolo's Air Yards vs YAC stats

See, I find aDoT and air yards to be problematic by themselves because they are still a function of how an offense is run. I think aDoT, air yards, and YAC all need to be evaluated together to get a true estimate of what a receiver is actually worth because different receivers have different playstyles, but they are all lumped in together. This is actually one of the projects I'm working on this offseason because it infuriates me when YAC guys get criticized for low aDoT's as if air yards are the be all / end all of an offense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"Taking everything into account" is called the eye test.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sataere posted:

See, I find aDoT and air yards to be problematic by themselves because they are still a function of how an offense is run. I think aDoT, air yards, and YAC all need to be evaluated together to get a true estimate of what a receiver is actually worth because different receivers have different playstyles, but they are all lumped in together. This is actually one of the projects I'm working on this offseason because it infuriates me when YAC guys get criticized for low aDoT's as if air yards are the be all / end all of an offense.

I mean Receivers shouldn't be criticized for their QB having a low adot or air yards on completion as they are the ones doing the work(well them and blockers maybe) lol.

It is very useful information to know if you are let's say trying to figure out if a QB would be a good fit in a specific system or to start to discover if a QB is a product of their surrounding pieces(shout out to Shanahan).

Like Mahomes last year on the chiefs I believe had the second or third highest YAC per completion contribution in the league(lol pretty sure Jimmy G and Goff were the other 2) but no one but the biggest haters would call him a noodle armed game manager.

All these stats do is give you a better idea of how the team is playing and what they are actually doing in their own context. Anyone quoting stats without giving you context around the stat is someone who you should probably ignore.

SKULL.GIF posted:

"Taking everything into account" is called the eye test.

The eye test and other human perspectives are still a very important part of any and all scouting and player prognostications.

You should use any and all stats and human resources available to you when trying to get a picture of a player's worth.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 15, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

The air yards vs YAC stuff makes me wonder if there's a point where YAC being below a certain threshold correlates to increased games missed by receivers. Like if a QB is regularly making throws that get the needed yardage in the air, but put the receiver in danger (insert Febreeze's Austin Collie comic here) versus throwing it short to a receiver with room to run and actually defend themselves.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The air yards vs YAC stuff makes me wonder if there's a point where YAC being below a certain threshold correlates to increased games missed by receivers. Like if a QB is regularly making throws that get the needed yardage in the air, but put the receiver in danger (insert Febreeze's Austin Collie comic here) versus throwing it short to a receiver with room to run and actually defend themselves.

There is so much that goes into this though. For example, if the defense blitzes a lot, a good offensive line will probably lead to receivers having a better YAC than those with a bad offensive line. How do you quantify that? There is so much that can potentially affect these stats, trying to tease out what affects what can be very tricky. I think the best way to put it is that stats can be indicative of certain trends, but are rarely prescriptive of them.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

sweet geek swag posted:

There is so much that goes into this though. For example, if the defense blitzes a lot, a good offensive line will probably lead to receivers having a better YAC than those with a bad offensive line. How do you quantify that? There is so much that can potentially affect these stats, trying to tease out what affects what can be very tricky. I think the best way to put it is that stats can be indicative of certain trends, but are rarely prescriptive of them.

Oh for sure it's not going to be a straight line on a graph, just curious if there would be any correlation that could be considered statistically significant. Really not even as a decision making tool, just because it's fun to see when numbers can tell a story.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
A low air yardage average could also be indicative of a very effective offense. Consistently getting 4-5 yards results in very long drives, which can be beneficial obviously.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
advanced stats can't measure the importance of playing Bears Football

or the curse on Soldier Field that ensures the team plays Bears Football

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

SirPablo posted:

A low air yardage average could also be indicative of a very effective offense. Consistently getting 4-5 yards results in very long drives, which can be beneficial obviously.

Shanahan offenses probably have lower air yards, but great YAC.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SirPablo posted:

Basically the Saints offense for Brees waning years where he couldn’t throw deep anymore but he could still make quick reads and accurate short/midrange passes so the offense was still very efficient.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1691828172554162484?t=HSZoZYq3vqA_z0qteFWAjw&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

God, remember that one year in I think 2013 where like half the Packers roster had some sort of nagging hamstring injury? That was awful.

Hope ARSB will be fine. He's fun to watch.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can't miss the first six games due to a hamstring injury if you're already missing them due to a suspension. Checkmate, heteros. :smug:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hmm... the Jets OL is struggling badly........

https://twitter.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1691844167171817544

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MJeff posted:

Can't miss the first six games due to a hamstring injury if you're already missing them due to a suspension. Checkmate, heteros. :smug:

drat this life hack would go hard on tik toc

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/DetroitOnLion/status/1691852328251392308?t=kX6Fb_OHtCLJMRpD3OVTeg&s=19

bless this man

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1691824639268249757?t=eWna4rBee27bKQcom_t4HA&s=19

Let's goooo

Also Bill's right

https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1691832750733414765?t=uia2f9tNtrEHcaFM7ckzRA&s=19

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Surprised Bill would say this given their history on Special Teams

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Sataere posted:

Surprised Bill would say this given their history on Special Teams

That's because he was talking about the offense

Also we have pretty good special teams now because we have a good special teams coordinator

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
https://twitter.com/tylerherrick/status/1691860649754669188?s=46&t=m5J1AHu-B_BCiHxU6acSoQ
:getin:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sul at free safety, Owens at strong. Jaire/Nixon/Valentine. I like it.

Hot Diggity! posted:

That's because he was talking about the offense

Also we have pretty good special teams now because we have a good special teams coordinator

Yeah the Packers weak point right now is defensive scheming. If Barry can put it together this team could contend, but I'm not getting excited until at least the first few regular games.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

I'm so hyped about Musgrave

https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1691906081075900793?t=kceLnj17u8A3xv45_EqB8Q&s=19

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Also better angle of the Love2Watson bomb

https://twitter.com/KuhnwaldMatt/status/1691885752618250399?t=fosUGbp8UnWo0Q3KU6FW8Q&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

I'm so hyped about Musgrave

Musgrave/Watson might be the fastest WR/TE pair in the league. I think only Pitts/London compares?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

All this Jordan Love camp hype reminds me a lot of Mitch Trubisky camp hype

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What about the Fields hype last week

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That hype is real friend. Although I'm more into DJ Moore camp hype

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1691943249538150632

Seeing this after watching multiple games last season where Dante Pettis was WR1...water in a desert

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Wi11DeWitt/status/1691957625770868773

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Those deep connections would be cooler if I thought for one second he had a line that could protect him for more than, well, one second

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

HootTheOwl posted:

Those deep connections would be cooler if I thought for one second he had a line that could protect him for more than, well, one second

So I have been crunching numbers and this stat jumped out at me. Last season, Fields had 444 drop backs and 318 pass attempts. He did not attempt a pass in 28.4% of his drop backs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh good, Kenny Clark has a back injury. :waycool:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh good, Kenny Clark has a back injury. :waycool:

Probably minor. He's back at practice today.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Jameson Williams out the rest of preseason with a leg injury :negative:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Jameson Williams out the rest of preseason with a leg injury :negative:

At least he'll have plenty of time to recover

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's frustrating because the number one thing that everyone can agree on is that he needs reps, and preseason was going to be the time to do it. Now he's not going to see the field until October, and it's going to be harder for him to hit the ground running.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sounding like there's a lot of shoving and minor fights today between the Packers-Patriots at joint practice. At least half a dozen separate incidents already.

e: same old story under LaFleur... https://twitter.com/AndyHermanNFL/status/1692226346833883638

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 17, 2023

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sounding like there's a lot of shoving and minor fights today between the Packers-Patriots at joint practice.

I wonder who our fighty guys are now. Obviously Quay Walker made a (dipshit) name for himself last season for being fighty.

I think the ultimate Packers fighty guy in the last 15 years was Cullen Jenkins, who seemed to constantly be bickering with his own teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

surf rock posted:

I wonder who our fighty guys are now. Obviously Quay Walker made a (dipshit) name for himself last season for being fighty.

I think the ultimate Packers fighty guy in the last 15 years was Cullen Jenkins, who seemed to constantly be bickering with his own teammates.

This is the problem with the Packers drafting purely off RAS. Doesn't factor in the "DogInEm" metric.