Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Some months ago, before the backpack incident, I thought Linus was an annoying person playing as the clown for views but behind the scenes seemed like an overall chill and cool dude.

Then I saw pieces of the WAN or whatever show with his take on people being mad that he was making “trust me bro” t-shirts in response to his trust me bro warranty claims, or something of the sort. Exact details might be sketchy but I do remember him laughing and showing some contempt for his own audience while Luke was politely but noticeably going 🤨

And since then it’s just been example of example of him being completely unable to take criticism or make any meaningful apology with follow-through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lister posted:

I'm not seeing how. Steve says it's ok when they see "a pattern of behavior or there maybe be a significant chance they'll try and cover things up or prepare a pre-written response that could twist the narrative or in this case manipulate the audience" or if "the damage is being done actively." A journalist does not get to make the call about what a subject's response could do. They have a responsibility to objectively report the entire story from both sides. By not including a response, GN manipulates the audience in a similar way. People thinking that presenting "both sides" is bullshit is exactly why news media today is extremely biased.

The thesis of the video is that LMG is rushing to put out a video every day for all of its channels and that's leading to regular errors. This is an accusation that is supported by objective and subjective evidence, but it's still an assumption. It's that accusation that Linus should have had a chance to respond to before the video came out. Linus' response ignores the thesis of the video and instead focuses on defending other aspects of it. Steve could have been able to question him on what the video was really about (mistakes being made due to production rate) and get a focused response instead very defensive forum post.

GN hasn't explicitly said they follow journalistic codes of practice, but since the channel has been built on a reputation of journalistic integrity, it implicitly follows them. There's always editorial discretion about whether it's required, but in a piece that's as accusatory as this one, I think it was warranted. Taking clips from the WAN show that are responding to portions of the GN story, but not directly to the whole story, and then saying "We know what their comment is. We know what they think" is absolutely not the same thing.
Here’s a good response to the request for comment part: https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...nt=1&utm_term=1

quote:

Real journalism is making sure your information is rock solid before releasing it by corroborating your sources and doing your due diligence. "Asking for comment" is a way to do that, but is not the only way, and is often not done by journalists. Stakeholders can and will get upset, but as long as the information serves the public interest, who gives a poo poo.
It’s is a fact that LTT makes too many and egregious errors that mislead consumers. It is a fact that they hosed over Billett and the mouse company. The only thing subjective is why. If that’s your only criticism of GN’a video, you’re missing the forest for the trees.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lmfao all Linus had to do was not respond at all and in two weeks nobody would have cared or remembered. His ego prevented him from doing so and he's made this so much worse.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Posting through it is a time honoured tech boss tradition.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

FlapYoJacks posted:

lmfao all Linus had to do was not respond at all and in two weeks nobody would have cared or remembered. His ego prevented him from doing so and he's made this so much worse.

I'm still amazed he felt like he should respond to it off the cuff, from a personal account.

like you're a big boy company now, let your CEO and PR people handle it. Imagine Jensen firing off an email 45 minutes after someone disparaged Nvidia; it's nonsense.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The journalistic standards poo poo just falls apart by the very fact that it wasn't an expose it was an opinion piece.

People taking up arms around that are just can't defend against the thesis of the argument.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I'm still amazed he felt like he should respond to it off the cuff, from a personal account.

like you're a big boy company now, let your CEO and PR people handle it. Imagine Jensen firing off an email 45 minutes after someone disparaged Nvidia; it's nonsense.

Yes, inconceivable. I say after tabbing over to here from the Elon Musk thread.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

It's also funny because a similar thing happened six months ago and got dropped quickly after he never mentioned it https://linustechtips.com/topic/148...ication-needed/

Josh Lyman posted:

It’s is a fact that LTT makes too many and egregious errors that mislead consumers. It is a fact that they hosed over Billett and the mouse company. The only thing subjective is why. If that’s your only criticism of GN’a video, you’re missing the forest for the trees.

If the why is subjective, then it isn't all rock solid. The video mostly being right doesn't put it above criticism. I think that pulling quotes from employees saying they wish they had more time to make videos, without actually getting direct quotes specifically on the subject of the video, was irresponsible too. It's drawing a conclusion from those statements to GN's thesis without allowing the people saying those things from elaborating.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
That's not criticism it's nitpicking

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

grack posted:

Yeah, every upvoted thread is either from Billet labs or straight up calling Linus an rear end in a top hat.

Also a thread telling people to cancel their LTT forum subscriptions.

Ya I was hoping there was just some confusion and misunderstanding but Billets email puts that to rest.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

lol thread title

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

buglord posted:

So what happened with Bitwit in that video? I spent a while trying to get YouTube to not show me his videos with dreadful thumbnails of his dumb reaction faces.

I can't subject myself to it to find out. I vaguely remember he split with his wife, she tried making a cooking channel and he magically disappeared off my algo recommendations. Clicking one of his videos is just going to gently caress all of that up.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lister posted:

If the why is subjective, then it isn't all rock solid. The video mostly being right doesn't put it above criticism. I think that pulling quotes from employees saying they wish they had more time to make videos, without actually getting direct quotes specifically on the subject of the video, was irresponsible too. It's drawing a conclusion from those statements to GN's thesis without allowing the people saying those things from elaborating.

perhaps both sides are irresponsible, really :haw:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

He has like one, maybe two, headshots for his thumbnail images.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

another update from billet labs: https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15rxni4/comment/jwbrh0i/?context=3

quote:

UPDATE

For full transparency, Linus contacted us this evening saying it's likely he can get the block back from the buyer.

We have declined this offer, and asked for the previously agreed monetary value instead for the following reasons:
  1. we have already spent a significant percentage of the value of the block in the last few days on replacement parts to build a new block, assuming we'd never see the original one again.
  2. we do not know if the original block is still in good working condition, and how much money will be needed to fix it if it's not.
  3. we don't know if any of the bespoke fittings are missing, each of these costs money to replace if they are.
  4. LTT have had our 3090ti without using it for 9 weeks, so we have lost confidence that they will return items quickly.
  5. LTT isn't currently in possession of the block, they've only said that they can get it back. We therefore don't know when we'd get it back, and time is of the essence.
  6. LTT has confirmed that the block is with a private individual rather than a rival company, so lost IP is much less of an issue.
We wanted to state this publicly just in case anyone has any issues with the fact that the block has potentially been found, and we chose to take the money instead. We hope you understand our reasoning here. We can have our new block that we're currently making ready in the next couple of weeks, and we are sceptical that we would have the original block back in fully working condition in that amount of time – it would be a gamble at the very least.

Much love
Dean & Felix
i too would take ltt's word that a private individual has the block

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Wait so, Billet Labs send them a 3090Ti to use with the block? And LTT still managed to gently caress up put it on a 4090Ti?
Did Billet even get that 3090Ti back, or was that also soldauctioned off?

Good news on that front.

Linus posted:

We are using this, like everything else, to continue to drive ourselves to do better. Got some really exciting stuff in the holster A really good one - and the video where I actually FOUND the 3090 Ti that we were supposed to send back to Billet... grrr... - is kind of an undercover boss vid where I go and work in our logistics department for the day. This is the kind of thing I'm finding more time for in the new role and is already making a difference to some of our practices.
Edit: Wouldn't be surprised if that means that they've just bought a second hand 3090 of the same model and are gonna claim its the same one.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 15, 2023

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
e:f;b

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lister posted:

God this is pathetic. The quotes are...there. In the video. They're making public statements. They're not out of context, it's literally asking them what problems they have in their working environment. Reaching out to them for comment beforehand would just be a way to get the more PR version of those statements.

As made clear earlier in the thread, people really have no understanding of what 'journalistic ethics' actually is.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 15, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tornhelm posted:

Good news on that front.

Oopsie I’m making a video where I find the GPU I was supposed to send back to its owner over a month ago. Terminal content brain.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like that Linus is tacitly putting the blame for the missing GPU on the Logistics team. Like yell at them in private but announcing their processes are poo poo in public? First of all they're probably ex-NCIX so we know they'd be poo poo and my dude it's your responsibility as the boss to ensure good practices are in place.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
This being the catalyst for the team to unionize would be very funny.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I wonder if the new CEO has told Linus to keep his sandals out of his mouth or has just shrugged and started looking for a new job.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

apatheticman posted:

This being the catalyst for the team to unionize would be very funny.

:sickos:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chief Vision Officer Can't See Issues With Company

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Word is going around that LMG is contacting the action winners to tell them what they won and for what price, for tax reasons, because apparently they lost that information.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

another update from billet labs: https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15rxni4/comment/jwbrh0i/?context=3

i too would take ltt's word that a private individual has the block

Lol if Linux gets dragged into an IP lawsuit because he sold auctioned their prototype to a competitor

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Lol if Linux gets dragged into an IP lawsuit because he sold auctioned their prototype to a competitor

Billet won't be able to do that because Linus can drag it out in court with his millions and bankrupt them

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

Good news on that front.

Linsux posted:

...and the video where I actually FOUND the 3090 Ti...
What does that mean? There was an existing video where that card happened to turn up, or are they going to turn this shitshow into more content?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

"We're not going to talk about this on the WAN show, or any other video."

"poo poo, I've got a content idea!"

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

apatheticman posted:

That's not criticism it's nitpicking

Nitpicking is Linus saying that it was wrong of GN to say the block was sold instead of auctioned for charity. That's a non-substantive change. What I'm talking about isn't so minor.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

God this is pathetic. The quotes are...there. In the video. They're making public statements. They're not out of context, it's literally asking them what problems they have in their working environment. Reaching out to them for comment beforehand would just be a way to get the PR version of those statements.

As made clear earlier in the thread, people really have no understanding of what 'journalistic ethics' actually is.

They were public statements made in one context (being asked "What would you change about LMG?") then being taken and put into a new context ("We know these issues at LTT in terms of the rushing... pushing employees and staff to hit deadlines despite concerns with the data or the collection of the data. We know these come from top down as shown in a recent LTT interview that it conducted with its own employees where many of them stated concerns with content quality pertaining to restrictive time constraints.") to support GN's thesis. This is the definition of taking a quote out of context.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Combat Pretzel posted:

What does that mean? There was an existing video where that card happened to turn up, or are they going to turn this shitshow into more content?

Company sent a prototype for testing with a video card. Linus takes the video card off the block uses a different GPU and uses 2 staff that haven't had water cooling build experience and makes a video trashing it because he thinks it's over priced. He gets called out for the using a different GPU and not giving it a fair shake. Basically says it would cost to much to do so when the outcome is still it's an over priced useless product.

Found out later that not only did he auction off the block itself but he also lost the card it was originally attached to and just recently found it via his weird content.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I have faith LTT will improve their processes....

Because it's cost them thousands of dollars a month in revenue losses due to people cancelling their paid forum subscriptions.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lister posted:

They were public statements made in one context (being asked "What would you change about LMG?") then being taken and put into a new context ("We know these issues at LTT in terms of the rushing... pushing employees and staff to hit deadlines despite concerns with the data or the collection of the data. We know these come from top down as shown in a recent LTT interview that it conducted with its own employees where many of them stated concerns with content quality pertaining to restrictive time constraints.") to support GN's thesis. This is the definition of taking a quote out of context.

jfc, those are literally the same thing. One context is asking them what they want changed, the other is showing the problems that needs to be changed, by using the employees own recorded words identifying the problems...that need to be changed. Your brain is soup.

If you have a series of interviews and one of the most common critiques of the current work environment being given by employees is that time pressure is leading to struggles with producing quality content, and the thesis of your video is that content mine pressure is negatively impacting the quality of a channels work, that is not 'out of context' - that is fitting a square peg into a square hole perfectly. Like what is wrong with you?

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 15, 2023

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lister posted:

Nitpicking is Linus saying that it was wrong of GN to say the block was sold instead of auctioned for charity. That's a non-substantive change. What I'm talking about isn't so minor.

Disagree.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its funny to see this entire thread go against Linux on this one. The forums are never that galvanized

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Its funny to see this entire thread go against Linux on this one. The forums are never that galvanized

What distro

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lister posted:

that's really more of an example of blatant deflection/attempting to spin bullshit, because the original GN video very clearly reported that the block was auctioned off/the charitable event where the auction took place

and what you're doing is most definitely nitpicking

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Company sent a prototype for testing with a video card. Linus takes the video card off the block uses a different GPU and uses 2 staff that haven't had water cooling build experience and makes a video trashing it because he thinks it's over priced. He gets called out for the using a different GPU and not giving it a fair shake. Basically says it would cost to much to do so when the outcome is still it's an over priced useless product.

Found out later that not only did he auction off the block itself but he also lost the card it was originally attached to and just recently found it via his weird content.
Yea I understood it so far. I'm just wondering what video the quote was referring to. (Or where that quote came from to begin with.)

If they're turning this Billet thing, i.e. the quest for the lost 3090, into new content, then that's just hosed up. Then again, it's not like Linsux learns anything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lister posted:

This is the definition of taking a quote out of context.

The context of this quote is you are a complete pea-brain.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Before today pretty much the entire thread either actively disliked LTT or thought he was an entertaining clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lister posted:

People thinking that presenting "both sides" is bullshit is exactly why news media today is extremely biased.

found the radical centrist