Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I ll say this for Kemp: he has bigger balls than the entire rest of the Republican party put together.

Hope he doesn't run in 2028.
Yeah, he's absolutely lining himself up to be the "return to normalcy" Republican candidate in '28.

Our centrist press (NYT, WaPo, etc.) is going to eat that poo poo up with a spoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/BrianKempGA/status/1691483026356678660

so yeah i think all public statements officially point towards georgia republicans telling trump to go gently caress himself

I don't normally indulge myself, but I took a peek at the replies and it's so depressing that this many Americans are completely sucked into the cult.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't normally indulge myself, but I took a peek at the replies and it's so depressing that this many Americans are completely sucked into the cult.

RESIGN!! :byodood:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Its twitter dude, a good 80% of those accounts are likely bots.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Asproigerosis posted:

I like to think that the folks who are willing to (a) still be on X after the past year, (b) follow Brian "loving" Kemp, and (c) are still willing to cape for Trump with frothy-mouthed replies are not exactly representative of America as a whole. There's a lot of self-selection going on there, just like at Freep et al.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FMguru posted:

Yeah, he's absolutely lining himself up to be the "return to normalcy" Republican candidate in '28.

Our centrist press (NYT, WaPo, etc.) is going to eat that poo poo up with a spoon.

Which also shows he's smarter than the rest of the field put together.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

If it makes you feel better, many are bots. And Twitter has become the home of CHUDs since Musk took over.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tayter Swift posted:

I like to think that the folks who are willing to (a) still be on X after the past year, (b) follow Brian "loving" Kemp, and (c) are still willing to cape for Trump with frothy-mouthed replies are not exactly representative of America as a whole. There's a lot of self-selection going on there, just like at Freep et al.

The top replies are guaranteed to be morons that pay Musky's $8 free speech fee

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I know it's a very small sample of Americans, but that's still non zero and it genuinely pains me hearing people talking this stuff in real life. I think it just hits a lot harder for me working in health care seeing people dying and with their last breaths they are still hootin and hollerin for trump. To be filled with so much hate. The families torn apart. It makes me sad.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1691315354633388032?s=20
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1688022163574439937?s=20

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cabbit posted:

At this point his best defense might be to generate incriminating evidence faster than prosecutors can present it in court, delaying any verdict until long after he's dead.

Ah, the Sam Bankman Fried defense.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hopefully Musk notices this because I think he really would pitch in to try to get Trump posting on X.

Though IIRC Trump has some exclusivity thing with Truth Social.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Neo Rasa posted:

Hopefully Musk notices this because I think he really would pitch in to try to get Trump posting on X.

Though IIRC Trump has some exclusivity thing with Truth Social.

elon has tried getting him to (remember the very visible, very public polling on if he should unsuspend DJT's account)

trump doesn't give a single gently caress about elon and has snubbed him pretty much constantly.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Asproigerosis posted:

I made the same mistake. "But Tucker Carlson has a bunch of numbers on a screen! They must be true!" If there was actual voter fraud--beyond, you know, the handful of registered Republicans caught doing stupid poo poo--there would 100% have been more than zero people swearing under oath about "what they saw."

It turns out making lying under oath a crime was a good idea, all those years ago.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
e:wt

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O that’s why I remembered Trevian Kutti.

He’s a publicist who used to do PR defense for noted saints R. Kelly and Kanye West.

I guess he found a niche.

Edit : digging further, Tutti seems the be referred to by multiple pronouns and titles. At no point am I trying to be lovely about their gender identity, this is honest confusion.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 15, 2023

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Xiahou Dun posted:

O that’s why I remembered Trevian Kutti.

He’s a publicist who used to do PR defense for noted saints R. Kelly and Kanye West.

I guess he found a niche.

Edit : digging further, Tutti seems the be referred to by multiple pronouns and titles. At no point am I trying to be lovely about their gender identity, this is honest confusion.
she. there's video of her intimidating that ruby lady with a cop priest or a cop and a priest?

either way why the gently caress wouldn't she take a deal??
imagine being he one non-millionaire politician lawyer pulled into this mess and your answer is "i like my odds"

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

FMguru posted:

Good for him, he can get 33% or whatever of the GOP vote while TORMP!11 gets the other 66% of it and the dem candidate gets some >66% of the dem vote.
I guess literal republican RFK can maybe get the leftover 1% of the GOP to cancel out the point or two of dems Kemp pulls over.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

InsertPotPun posted:

she. there's video of her intimidating that ruby lady with a cop priest or a cop and a priest?

either way why the gently caress wouldn't she take a deal??
imagine being he one non-millionaire politician lawyer pulled into this mess and your answer is "i like my odds"

Yeah, I couldn’t remember so I read the first article I could find and saw they used “he” but then later another, more trusted one said “she”.

She ran a whole witness-intimidation thing sending random black people to Ruby Freeman’s house to get her to co-operate. Like they could just Legend of Bagger Vance the problem away.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
CNN is saying that Mark Meadows wants to move his GA case to federal court to get it dismissed. Does this mean he probably flipped in the federal cases against Trump long ago?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL. LMAO, even.

https://twitter.com/schwartzbCNBC/status/1691560431532359796

A "handshake agreement" with Trump to pay your bills? In 2020?

Maybe he was trying to set up some kind of diminished capacity defense.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Herstory Begins Now posted:

someone with actual law knowledge: what is the difference between the federal RICO act (the one people think of) and georgia's own peculiar version of RICO?

as an aside, rico seems entirely appropriate for trump and his way of breaking the law is pretty much exactly the style of crime it's historically been intended to deal with. it's an almost elegant fit to his roundabout but entirely intentional yet just-deniable-enough way of getting people to do things

yeah it's pretty much a perfect fit for how he operates, it's funny because he doesn't even really have any other way of communicating or trying to compel people to do things other than that

There may be other differences but the big one I'm aware of is that where federal RICO has a pretty small list of possible racketeering types, to avoid the doj just using it on everyone who conspires to sneeze wrong, Georgia RICO has approximately one hundred fifty million more things on the list. It's still hard to charge but it's less hard (and therefore more overreaching) than federal.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I cannot stress how much I could visit past me in the post-2016 throes of the horror election and hand over a printout of this baby:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tru...litics-sub-post

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Scags McDouglas posted:

I cannot stress how much I could visit past me in the post-2016 throes of the horror election and hand over a printout of this baby:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tru...litics-sub-post

Jesus!

quote:

"The governor can't pardon here. It's the Board of Pardons and Paroles that has to grant that," Carlson said. "And here's the kicker: President Trump could only apply for a pardon if he were to be convicted only after he served five years in a Georgia penitentiary."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

yeah while the federal cases are big trouble, and the documents case is extremely funny, it's the Georgia rico charge that's the real backbreaker

he doesn't have any discernable outs

and that makes me happy

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

yeah while the federal cases are big trouble, and the documents case is extremely funny, it's the Georgia rico charge that's the real backbreaker

and that makes me happy

And, Kemp basically said that the rule of law needs to be applied here and the election was legit and Trump is a fraud. GA isn't pardoning him.

To contribute, his discernible out is getting elected president and letting the supreme Court sort out how the hell that works.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cr0y posted:

To contribute, his discernible out is getting elected president and letting the supreme Court sort out how the hell that works.

There actually is a tenable argument that a State couldn't impose criminal charges on a duly elected sitting President, as that would be unconstitutional interference by a State upon the operation of the federal government.

However, in this instance, a Georgia conviction would arguably disqualify Trump from holding federal office anyway under Section 3 of the 14th amendment.

quote:

Section 3 Disqualification from Holding Office
No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4532751

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/08/15/trump-ineligible-14th-amendment-unconstitutional-presidency/

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

cr0y posted:

And, Kemp basically said that the rule of law needs to be applied here and the election was legit and Trump is a fraud. GA isn't pardoning him.

The worry wasn't Kemp himself since he's been pretty vocally anti-Trump. The worry was that the issue of pardoning Trump could become politicized and a candidate that would pardon him wins election. Luckily that's not possible given the current laws in Georgia (there is a non-elected board that processes pardoning). Trump would need the Georgia legislature to change the law around pardoning, then for it to be signed into law by the Governor, and then for the Governor to pardon him. Given the current political makeup of Georgia the chances of that happening are slim to none. The added cherry on top is that SCOTUS has no jurisdiction over Georgia state crimes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
kemp and the lg coming out as staunchly as they did has been one of the bigger surprises of this so far. it makes sense insofar as the poo poo raffensberger and the others who ended up on the wrong end of trump's pressure campaign went through seemed genuinely horrible, but it still catches me off guard to see republicans actually showing a bit of spine where trump is concerned.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Seph posted:

The worry wasn't Kemp himself since he's been pretty vocally anti-Trump. The worry was that the issue of pardoning Trump could become politicized and a candidate that would pardon him wins election. Luckily that's not possible given the current laws in Georgia (there is a non-elected board that processes pardoning). Trump would need the Georgia legislature to change the law around pardoning, then for it to be signed into law by the Governor, and then for the Governor to pardon him. Given the current political makeup of Georgia the chances of that happening are slim to none. The added cherry on top is that SCOTUS has no jurisdiction over Georgia state crimes.

It’s the constitution in Georgia that would need to change from the news I watched/read. So it won’t happen, which is good.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Google Jeb Bush posted:

SCOTUS is always a wildcard

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fart Amplifier posted:

Seph posted:

The added cherry on top is that SCOTUS has no jurisdiction over Georgia state crimes.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
not gbs, sorry

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Fart Amplifier posted:

Please elaborate. To my knowledge SCOTUS has shown absolutely zero inclination to intervene on Trump's behalf since he first disputed the election nearly three years ago. Is there a reason to believe that he would, beyond the popular "In a 6/3 decision...." thought terminating cliche?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Ynglaur posted:

I made the same mistake. "But Tucker Carlson has a bunch of numbers on a screen! They must be true!" If there was actual voter fraud--beyond, you know, the handful of registered Republicans caught doing stupid poo poo--there would 100% have been more than zero people swearing under oath about "what they saw."

It turns out making lying under oath a crime was a good idea, all those years ago.
It originally wasn't because it was thought God would punish anyone that lied under oath. It was quickly decided that God helps those that help themselves.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

On Georgia State law?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
meadows trying to move fulton county case to federal court

quote:

Former Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows is seeking to move the Fulton County, Georgia, prosecution against him to federal court so that he can try to get the case dismissed under federal law.

Meadows argued in a new court filing submitted in the US District Court of the Northern District of Georgia that he is entitled to bring a federal immunity defense because the Georgia state charges against him stem from his conduct as then-President Donald Trump’s chief of staff.

Meadows is one of 19 defendants, including Trump, who were charged on Monday in the Georgia 2020 election subversion case. Meadows’ request would not move the entirety of District Attorney Fani Willis’ case to federal court. Rather, it would be a defendant-by-defendant endeavor.

Trump, who faces 13 charges, is also expected to try to move the case to federal court, according to multiple sources familiar with the legal team’s thinking.

And ex-Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani – who also faces 13 charges in the Fulton County case – raised during his radio show Tuesday one of the laws cited in Meadows’ new request and said he believed the case against him is qualified for “almost an automatic removal” to federal court.

The law says that criminal actions brought in state court may be “removed” to federal court if the prosecution relates to conduct performed “under color” of a US office or agency.

Experts in Georgia criminal law told CNN Tuesday that they thought it was possible that government employees like Trump, as well as former Justice Department official Jeffrey Clark, among others, would raise such arguments.

Meadows said he intends to submit at a “later date” a more comprehensive request laying out why the case against him should be dismissed under federal law. But in the meantime, Meadows argued that the federal court should move the charges out of state court, and into federal court, effectively halting the state-level proceedings against him.

“Even if the Court is not prepared to dismiss outright at this early stage, however, justice requires granting removal and halting any further state-court proceedings against Mr. Meadows,” the filing said. “That will allow for the timely consideration of Mr. Meadows’s defenses, including his federal defense under the Supremacy Clause, without requiring him to defend himself in state court simultaneously.”

Willis charged Meadows with violating Georgia’s anti-racketeering act known as the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, or RICO, and with soliciting a public official to violate their oath.

According to the docket, Meadows’ removal request has been assigned to US District Judge Steve Jones, an appointee of former President Barack Obama.

if the law says a case in state court "may" be removed, i would have hoped the articles author could have written more on what exactly goes in to making that determination. is it really up to the judges discretion or are there additional factors which can compel removal to federal court? of course the trump legal brain trust isn't known for their expert legal theory, and would the da have brought charges if it was a given that the cases would be removed to federal court?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SCOTUS is always technically a wildcard since they decide their own limits of their jurisdiction and the only out for anyone else is just refusing to abide by their rulings. So they could theoretically decide that, yes the SCOTUS does have primacy over state supreme courts and furthermore gently caress you.

I think there is approximately a 0% chance of that happening and a further 0% chance of Georgia abiding by it if they did.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Nitrousoxide posted:

SCOTUS is always technically a wildcard since they decide their own limits of their jurisdiction and the only out for anyone else is just refusing to abide by their rulings. So they could theoretically decide that, yes the SCOTUS does have primacy over state supreme courts and furthermore gently caress you.

I think there is approximately a 0% chance of that happening and a further 0% chance of Georgia abiding by it if they did.

The crises would be if, say, GA convicted him and then Florida (or whatever state) refused to extradite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Trying to overthrow the election is not part of the job description of the president's chief of staff, he isn't getting poo poo moved anywhere.