Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah the problem with 3 isn’t that it’s a bad modern Resi title or anything, it’s a perfectly fine romp. The problem is it’s a poor representation of the original game that it’s trying to evoke. It didn’t successfully modernize or capitalize on what made it memorable. As such it’s a nice enough Remake 2 expansion but it fails at being a remake of 3 in a way that the remake of 2 was so spectacular at being an update of its older counterpart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
3 had me worried if Re4make was going to be the same but luckily this turned out not to be the case and they even expanded some stuff.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

veni veni veni posted:

No way, they 3 remake is great. It's just too drat short. It made it a bad deal at $60 but now that it's available for cheap it's a great way to kill a few evenings.

It's ok for the $15 I paid for it, but yeah it is way too short and honestly just feels like DLC for 2, it doesn't feel like a fully fleshed out game. And the Nemesis fights felt repetitive to me. It was still a fun game, I just wish there was more of it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

3 remake is also much better value if you were doing these two things:

1. Replay the game for more unlocks and also beating it in a harder difficulty as well as fast as possible.

2. You played some hours of that re:resistance game that came with it. It was actually kinda fun until the people who play too seriously got overpowered and now it's really hard to win.

Other than that, yes 3 is way too short especially if you only play games once and move on.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the big flaw in r3make is that Mr. X in RE2 ended up accomplishing what Nemesis was supposed to be better than Nemesis himself did.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah one of the big missteps was relegating Nemesis to boss fights and set pieces. Mr X ended up feeling much more threatening and dynamic and ironically functioned more like the original Nemesis than the remake’s one did.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Instead of some lovely PvP they should've included the raid mode that was in RE Revelations 2

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

unpopular opinion: I don't like being chased by dudes constantly, i like to explore the spooky castles at my own pace. it's not less scary for Mr X to be there for me or anything, I just have to kite him around a circle before doing what I actually want in whichever room

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I look at Mr X like the game throwing a wrench into your plans. Like you have this route planned out in your head of “I’m gonna go through these sets of rooms to get to my destination, and avoid this or that by doing so”. Then you’re forced to change and adapt when that set route is interrupted by his appearance.

It’s a pretty great way to induce some more tension. Of course on a repeat playthrough that’s a diminishing effect as you learn how to effectively dodge and manipulate him, where it starts to feel tedious instead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Meowywitch posted:

unpopular opinion: I don't like being chased by dudes constantly, i like to explore the spooky castles at my own pace. it's not less scary for Mr X to be there for me or anything, I just have to kite him around a circle before doing what I actually want in whichever room

Not unpopular at all, my favorite part of Resident Evil games is exploration and puzzle solving. When they get too actiony I don't like it. It's one of the reasons I bust my rear end getting all the unlockables, so when I decide to go through one again I've got infinite ammo ready for me to just mow through everything.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm still cranky Code: Veronica got skipped over in the remake parade.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah they're keeping in the main series but man, I hope we get a RE:CV remake before we get a RE5 remake.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Don’t rule it out yet. They recently did a survey asking what the next remake should be if they do one.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm prepared to sit in hopeful waiting for a good while. Still waiting for them to actually follow up on the stingers from Mega Man X8 and ZXA, as it is.

Really my "man, come on" is mostly because Code: Veronica was the last game that really felt like Resident Evil to me. RE4 is a good game, but it just didn't really scratch the same itch the rest did for me, and none of the ones after really have either.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Code: Veronica was the last game that really felt like Resident Evil to me.

......RE0?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've never been able to get into the Resident Evil games (or any survival horror really), mostly because I really suck at that kind of combat so when ammo is super limited I always miss a lot and quickly end up screwed. I loved RE7 up until the basement part where you start running into tougher enemies, I'd always use up my ammo on the first one or two and then be left with nothing but a knife to defend myself against all the others. The inventory system also drives me nuts but that wouldn't be a dealbreaker if I wasn't already frustrated with the combat.

I am gonna give the RE4 remake a shot though, I've started the original probably half a dozen times over the years but never got far because the controls felt so terrible to me, but the demo seemed pretty good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

gey muckle mowser posted:

I've never been able to get into the Resident Evil games (or any survival horror really), mostly because I really suck at that kind of combat so when ammo is super limited I always miss a lot and quickly end up screwed. I loved RE7 up until the basement part where you start running into tougher enemies, I'd always use up my ammo on the first one or two and then be left with nothing but a knife to defend myself against all the others. The inventory system also drives me nuts but that wouldn't be a dealbreaker if I wasn't already frustrated with the combat.

I am gonna give the RE4 remake a shot though, I've started the original probably half a dozen times over the years but never got far because the controls felt so terrible to me, but the demo seemed pretty good.

The cool thing about RE7 is that the knife is actually pretty good, and blocking helps a lot. Plus in the basement you can pretty easily avoid most of the enemies, they don't follow you from room to room. The hardest part for me is the boiler room where there's 4 of them and it's tough to weave through them and open the door (using keys in real time is about my least favorite thing about RE7)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I thought REvelations 2 felt pretty RE but by then the bar was pretty drat low

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

something I completely forgot about silent hill is that it has seperate difficulty sliders for the combat and the puzzles which I think is excellent

I'm an Easy Combat Hard Puzzles type of gal anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mr X is one of my least favorite parts in RE2 remake. He's a fun gimmick for maybe 30 minutes and then just becomes annoying and starts to feel like padding. Nemesis only chasing you around at specific points in the story was breath of fresh air to me, because it captured the fun parts of Mr. X without wearing out it's welcome so much.

To me it's Jack Baker>Nemesis>Mr.X>Lady D (who looked awesome she just barely posed any threat)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meowywitch posted:

something I completely forgot about silent hill is that it has seperate difficulty sliders for the combat and the puzzles which I think is excellent

I'm an Easy Combat Hard Puzzles type of gal anyway.

It's all fun and games until SH3 expects you to know things about Shakespeare (the first puzzle)

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Speaking of Namesis, random question. I started playing this recently and just got through a powerplant full of spiders and on my way to use the thing I found inside Nemesis busted through a wall. I ran away and he killed me instantly, then I shot him a few times and he killed me instantly. I only tried the twice, but which should I do? It’s frustrating because in REmake2 you always knew you needed to run from Mr. X, but in 3 I vaguely remember from the original that you have to fight him a few times and I can’t tell if this is one of those times.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Pirate Captain posted:

Speaking of Namesis, random question. I started playing this recently and just got through a powerplant full of spiders and on my way to use the thing I found inside Nemesis busted through a wall. I ran away and he killed me instantly, then I shot him a few times and he killed me instantly. I only tried the twice, but which should I do? It’s frustrating because in REmake2 you always knew you needed to run from Mr. X, but in 3 I vaguely remember from the original that you have to fight him a few times and I can’t tell if this is one of those times.

Unless you’re in an explicit boss fight arena with him, and that will usually be obvious, the solution is always to run. You can temporarily disable him during these segments if you damage him enough, and he’ll even drop rewards if you do, but again, the game expects you to run away from him until he’s gone.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also this might not help you if you've already used up your whole supply but in those early encounters he'll go down if you chuck a single grenade at him.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Medullah posted:

The cool thing about RE7 is that the knife is actually pretty good, and blocking helps a lot. Plus in the basement you can pretty easily avoid most of the enemies, they don't follow you from room to room. The hardest part for me is the boiler room where there's 4 of them and it's tough to weave through them and open the door (using keys in real time is about my least favorite thing about RE7)

Hmm ok, maybe I’ll give it another try. I really was enjoying the game up until that point.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ineffiable posted:

3 remake is also much better value if you were doing these two things:

1. Replay the game for more unlocks and also beating it in a harder difficulty as well as fast as possible.

2. You played some hours of that re:resistance game that came with it. It was actually kinda fun until the people who play too seriously got overpowered and now it's really hard to win.

Other than that, yes 3 is way too short especially if you only play games once and move on.

There wasn't a single thing good about Resistance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was just thinking the other day about how RE8 came with yet another lovely multiplayer game and when you redeemed the code it was just a splash page because they delayed it indefinitely. Then recently it came and went with barely a fart. I'd be surprised if there was anyone even playing.

I bet it would have been cancelled if they didn't promise it as part of the RE8 package.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Actually the RE8 multiplayer is great, because if you play as Lady D your viewpoint is correspondingly taller than the other characters, and you have to awkwardly stoop down to go through normal person doors on the maps.

(I don't actually play it, that was just one of my favorite game design touches in a while :v:)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Lady D willingly living in a home that is clearly meant for normal-sized folks was so funny to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Read After Burning posted:

Lady D willingly living in a home that is clearly meant for normal-sized folks was so funny to me.

I love it, the way she's awkwardly contorting herself through basically a child-sized door the first time you meet her during actual gameplay is one of the funnier things in the series, I'm glad they ran with that idea.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

To be fair she was probably human-sized before the experiments. And it must be hard to get a good remodeling crew in a place like that :v:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RE7 best RE game

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Pyrolocutus posted:

To be fair she was probably human-sized before the experiments. And it must be hard to get a good remodeling crew in a place like that :v:

especially when your kids keep eating them

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Medullah posted:

Yeah they're keeping in the main series but man, I hope we get a RE:CV remake before we get a RE5 remake.

Code Veronica not being "main series" is still the weirdest thing to me because it has more to do with the main series both in gameplay and narrative than 4 does.

man nurse posted:

Yeah one of the big missteps was relegating Nemesis to boss fights and set pieces. Mr X ended up feeling much more threatening and dynamic and ironically functioned more like the original Nemesis than the remake’s one did.

The silliest thing about the RE3 remake that bothers me is the subtle retcon to imply nemesis is a plagas now or something similar. :argh:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It being a Dreamcast exclusive just fucks the whole pig

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
How could a Code Veronica remake possibly improve on the perfection of Steve Burnside's original voice acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I00SgkZHzF4

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nuebot posted:

Code Veronica not being "main series" is still the weirdest thing to me because it has more to do with the main series both in gameplay and narrative than 4 does.

The silliest thing about the RE3 remake that bothers me is the subtle retcon to imply nemesis is a plagas now or something similar. :argh:

Shinji Mikami agrees

https://youtu.be/NKYX3GstHlw

(20:45)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Instant Grat posted:

How could a Code Veronica remake possibly improve on the perfection of Steve Burnside's original voice acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I00SgkZHzF4

I will forever be disappointed they didn't capitalize on the off chance of Wesker bringing Steve back to life. He would have made for a great secret mercenaries character. It'd be a blast holding down the fire button and having him just scream "FATHER" until he runs out of ammo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://vxtwitter.com/Cyb4rAnGeL/status/1691607941692915871?t=fwea_W5nCzAwTWFowi4IpQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Can I get some recommendations for short horror games, preferably affordable or free on Steam or itch.io?

My buddies have gotten into Hollow's horror game Let's Plays on YouTube and they want to play through some shorter games when we hang out.

I've got the Dread X collections, and I grabbed a few on itch.io (or some that I had from bundles): Back To Bed, Mannequin, Wrong Floor, Babysitter Bloodbath, The Red Door, Cardiac, stuff like that.

I think my friends find first person POV scarier, but it's not mandatory, as long as it's actually scary rather than spooky and somber.