Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I didn't post here but I thought he was an entertaining clown because all I ever watched was the "we built (gimmick) PC, let's see if it turns on and works" which isn't exactly rigorous reporting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lister posted:

It's also funny because a similar thing happened six months ago and got dropped quickly after he never mentioned it https://linustechtips.com/topic/148...ication-needed/

If the why is subjective, then it isn't all rock solid. The video mostly being right doesn't put it above criticism. I think that pulling quotes from employees saying they wish they had more time to make videos, without actually getting direct quotes specifically on the subject of the video, was irresponsible too. It's drawing a conclusion from those statements to GN's thesis without allowing the people saying those things from elaborating.

linus, you don't have to do this

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Its funny to see this entire thread go against Linux on this one. The forums are never that galvanized

Wrong Linus (Torvalds) entirely.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Lister posted:

Nitpicking is Linus saying that it was wrong of GN to say the block was sold instead of auctioned for charity. That's a non-substantive change. What I'm talking about isn't so minor.

They were public statements made in one context (being asked "What would you change about LMG?") then being taken and put into a new context ("We know these issues at LTT in terms of the rushing... pushing employees and staff to hit deadlines despite concerns with the data or the collection of the data. We know these come from top down as shown in a recent LTT interview that it conducted with its own employees where many of them stated concerns with content quality pertaining to restrictive time constraints.") to support GN's thesis. This is the definition of taking a quote out of context.

If it weren’t for the reg date, I’d suspect you were actually Linus himself.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 15, 2023

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
A WELLNESS CHECK

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
As a regular watcher of the LTT's podcast I'll just drop this here:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662 posted:

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental health condition in which people have an unreasonably high sense of their own importance. They need and seek too much attention and want people to admire them. People with this disorder may lack the ability to understand or care about the feelings of others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence, they are not sure of their self-worth and are easily upset by the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial matters. People with narcissistic personality disorder may be generally unhappy and disappointed when they're not given the special favors or admiration that they believe they deserve. They may find their relationships troubled and unfulfilling, and other people may not enjoy being around them.

[...]
People with the disorder can:
  • Have an unreasonably high sense of self-importance and require constant, excessive admiration.
  • Feel that they deserve privileges and special treatment.
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements.
  • Make achievements and talents seem bigger than they are.
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate.
  • Believe they are superior to others and can only spend time with or be understood by equally special people.
  • Be critical of and look down on people they feel are not important.
  • Expect special favors and expect other people to do what they want without questioning them.
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want.
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others.
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them.
  • Behave in an arrogant way, brag a lot and come across as conceited.
  • Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office.
At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they view as criticism. They can:
  • Become impatient or angry when they don't receive special recognition or treatment.
  • Have major problems interacting with others and easily feel slighted.
  • React with rage or contempt and try to belittle other people to make themselves appear superior.
  • Have difficulty managing their emotions and behavior.
  • Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change.
  • Withdraw from or avoid situations in which they might fail.
  • Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection.
  • Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, humiliation and fear of being exposed as a failure.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

:thunk:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Shugojin posted:

I didn't post here but I thought he was an entertaining clown because all I ever watched was the "we built (gimmick) PC, let's see if it turns on and works" which isn't exactly rigorous reporting

he is an entertaining clown, just one with a serious case of small business owner brain and whose company has grown beyond that in terms of size but not processes/professionalism

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Lotta farts getting huffed in this screenshot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too blurry, didn't read.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Calling it now: Linus is slowly working towards trying to revive what he thought of as the glory days of NCIX, just with him at the helm. The LMG empire will collapse because nobody wants NCIX back and the already dwindling role of "fairly helpful brick and mortar computer parts shop" has been fulfilled not only in Vancouver but all across Canada extremely well by Memory Express (who snapped up a bunch of NCIX's abandoned leases during the bankruptcy lol).

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
despite the more than 100 employees and his self-imposed CVO demotion, linus still thinks he is LMG and that LMG is him. the lack of separation between himself and this massive entity he's created has caused him issues for years and its just getting worse.

its also completely batshit. pointing out that your insanely huge organization is loving up left and right is not something that is appropriately taken care of with a "wellness check," what the gently caress. if my bank fucks up i don't call their number to ask how they're doing and let them know ill be there for them if they need me.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too blurry, didn't read.

Imgur changes everything to webps now I guess

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

whatis posted:

if my bank fucks up i don't call their number to ask how they're doing and let them know ill be there for them if they need me.

Have you considered that maybe you should?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

Calling it now: Linus is slowly working towards trying to revive what he thought of as the glory days of NCIX, just with him at the helm. The LMG empire will collapse because nobody wants NCIX back and the already dwindling role of "fairly helpful brick and mortar computer parts shop" has been fulfilled not only in Vancouver but all across Canada extremely well by Memory Express (who snapped up a bunch of NCIX's abandoned leases during the bankruptcy lol).
the ncix youtube play button was his rosebud all along

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kliras posted:

the ncix youtube play button was his rosebud all along

Linus, on his deathbed, whispering "NCIX" before dropping a fully loaded supermicro server as the life escapes his fingers

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

Is imgbb still the decent alternative?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Catching up on this thread since I didn’t know it existed before yesterday and lmao

I was pretty proud of myself for that one, ngl

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Grapplejack posted:

https://i.imgur.com/d37RuJT.png

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

you somehow linked the thumbnail version

remove _d from the end of the filename and its fine

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
You don't have to go back more than 1 week to find an example of how bad LTT testing is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBxYQdN96s

They test some games with 3 youtube 4k videos playing in a browser, either behind a game on a single monitor or displayed on extra monitors.

Guess what a browser will do when its window is totally obscured behind a maximized window or full-screen game? Or if you power-save the display? It slows or stops rendering videos and updating the window. Because it knows you can't see anything!

So they didn't really test anything relevant to multiple monitors. They tested playing 3 videos versus having 3 semi-idle browsers in the background. To do this test *properly* you'd have to make sure the videos were actually displaying -- maybe play the game in a window that didn't take up the full screen and have the 3 youtubes poking out around it or something.

Just basic methodological failure to see an interesting result and say "wait, what does this really mean?"

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The too blurry; couldn't read it:

Poster hopes GN learns from this debacle and improves their methods.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kazinsal posted:

It would be tough to beat the stupidity of the decisions that NCIX was making near the end, but if anyone could do it, it would be Linus.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Kazinsal posted:

I think it worse that even that, rather he's probably got way bigger aspirations than "neo-NCIX as a mid-life."

I would guess that the backpack and screwdriver not sinking his ship probably has him thinking he can eventually become a computer accessories if not parts manufacturer in the long, long term. The new CEO fits that vision too given that they have manufacturing and retail experience, not entertainment industry experience. Besides all of the cable management stuff he has on the horizon, via the lab, he'll have all of the engineering talent and market research samples being given to him for review which his engineers can then validate what's almost perfect per his "vision," then either partner with the best option for LTT-branded and possibly slightly spec customized versions, if not contacting an OEM to make it per spec and so on. Even if that isn't the initial intent, literally all of the tools and talent will be there for it. It's billed as 3rd party review, but if the same people are already also making prototypes for the same gear that used to be sponsors for them, and they're buying sponsored videos for those products on other youtube channels, well, yeah, this is why GN Steve wants to treat them like a manufacturer - they're acting more and more like one.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 15, 2023

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Klyith posted:

You don't have to go back more than 1 week to find an example of how bad LTT testing is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wBxYQdN96s

They test some games with 3 youtube 4k videos playing in a browser, either behind a game on a single monitor or displayed on extra monitors.

Guess what a browser will do when its window is totally obscured behind a maximized window or full-screen game? Or if you power-save the display? It slows or stops rendering videos and updating the window. Because it knows you can't see anything!

So they didn't really test anything relevant to multiple monitors. They tested playing 3 videos versus having 3 semi-idle browsers in the background. To do this test *properly* you'd have to make sure the videos were actually displaying -- maybe play the game in a window that didn't take up the full screen and have the 3 youtubes poking out around it or something.

Just basic methodological failure to see an interesting result and say "wait, what does this really mean?"

you can also pin the integrated graphics to chrome if you want lol

they're gonna rediscover time sharing/dumb terminals soon

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazinsal posted:

I'm honestly kind of shocked how large the CanadaComputers place out in the Tricities is now. They originally moved in NCIX's old digs near Coquitlam Centre but then moved a few blocks over into a massive space.

I don't know if they're any good or not I've just bought a couple things but did the quick pickup.

Never been to a Memory Express just none near me but their website seems pretty good!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

repiv posted:

you somehow linked the thumbnail version

remove _d from the end of the filename and its fine

Thank you, ive fixed it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

whatis posted:

despite the more than 100 employees and his self-imposed CVO demotion, linus still thinks he is LMG and that LMG is him. the lack of separation between himself and this massive entity he's created has caused him issues for years and its just getting worse.

its also completely batshit. pointing out that your insanely huge organization is loving up left and right is not something that is appropriately taken care of with a "wellness check," what the gently caress. if my bank fucks up i don't call their number to ask how they're doing and let them know ill be there for them if they need me.

oh yeah i've worked for a company where the owner did this and surprise surprise: it didn't work

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
[david cross in cutoffs]

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

I'm honestly kind of shocked how large the CanadaComputers place out in the Tricities is now. They originally moved in NCIX's old digs near Coquitlam Centre but then moved a few blocks over into a massive space.

I don't know if they're any good or not I've just bought a couple things but did the quick pickup.

Never been to a Memory Express just none near me but their website seems pretty good!

Yeah, if the ME in Langley doesn't have what I'm looking for I'll usually just drive out to the Canada Computers in poco instead. Not that far of a trek and chances are if there's something you need, it's somewhere in there.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

priznat posted:

I've bought a few things from them, they're pretty good. Also I screwed up installing a new SSD boot drive and needed a new windows install on my flash drive. The tech guy downloaded and put it on for free. I mean it's just a couple buttons but given he had other things going on I can imagine a worse place (ie best buy) charging minimum time for it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Definitely Gentoo. I can't believe a generation of nerds were duped into compiling our own distros circa 2001.

(I did learn a lot from it though :shobon: )

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, if the ME in Langley doesn't have what I'm looking for I'll usually just drive out to the Canada Computers in poco instead. Not that far of a trek and chances are if there's something you need, it's somewhere in there.

I used to live near Broadway and Granville in Vancouver and that areas was like computer store nerd mecca. So many little shops all the way along Broadway and then a Future Shop too. Ahh I miss the days of actual B&M stores sometimes lol.

I do not miss going into a place and asking if they had specific DIMMs and they rummage in a drawer and come out with them with no bag or anything. Hmm.. no thanks.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Lister posted:

Nitpicking is Linus saying that it was wrong of GN to say the block was sold instead of auctioned for charity. That's a non-substantive change. What I'm talking about isn't so minor.

They were public statements made in one context (being asked "What would you change about LMG?") then being taken and put into a new context ("We know these issues at LTT in terms of the rushing... pushing employees and staff to hit deadlines despite concerns with the data or the collection of the data. We know these come from top down as shown in a recent LTT interview that it conducted with its own employees where many of them stated concerns with content quality pertaining to restrictive time constraints.") to support GN's thesis. This is the definition of taking a quote out of context.

Please stop. The job of a journalist isn't to represent 'both sides' of a story, it's to represent the truth. Not every story needs to be presented as some weird partisan thing. Journalists often approach subjects of stories for comment either because it is a story about something that the subject has not yet acknowledged (e.g. Lizzo being approached for comment on otherwise unsubstantiated claims of abuse from her dancers, after the news broke but prior to her making an official statement), in part so that they don't get sued (e.g. strict libel laws in the UK) or to maintain a sense of a right to reply on accusations , not as a way to better represent some weird version of objective reality that involves a story with two sides - in this case its pretty arguable that GN are presenting facts which are all completely in the public domain and which have all been already broadcast or published by LTT themselves.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

I used to live near Broadway and Granville in Vancouver and that areas was like computer store nerd mecca. So many little shops all the way along Broadway and then a Future Shop too. Ahh I miss the days of actual B&M stores sometimes lol.

I do not miss going into a place and asking if they had specific DIMMs and they rummage in a drawer and come out with them with no bag or anything. Hmm.. no thanks.
[vancouver_memorylane_hijack]
Remember that second hand PC/junk store on Canada Way? That place was amazing. Literally old boxed software and hardware from the 80s just stashed in ~wherever~

That can't still be there can it?
[/hijack]

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

jfc, those are literally the same thing. One context is asking them what they want changed, the other is showing the problems that needs to be changed, by using the employees own recorded words identifying the problems...that need to be changed. Your brain is soup.

If you have a series of interviews and one of the most common critiques of the current work environment being given by employees is that time pressure is leading to struggles with producing quality content, and the thesis of your video is that content mine pressure is negatively impacting the quality of a channels work, that is not 'out of context' - that is fitting a square peg into a square hole perfectly. Like what is wrong with you?

Ok, I'll break it down for you. One context is asking them what they want changed. The other context is saying that the stated concerns are proof that employees are being pushed to release content despite concerns about data or data collection. But it's not proof. It's an assumption GN is making based on a question it didn't ask and with answers it doesn't fully have. The most common critique was not "time pressure is leading to struggles with producing quality content." It was just generally saying they wish they had more time to work on videos or to release fewer videos. One person mentioned increasing quality.

What would they like to use that extra time on videos for? I wish I knew, but GN didn't ask them. Instead they just inferred what it meant.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

slidebite posted:

[vancouver_memorylane_hijack]
Remember that second hand PC/junk store on Canada Way? That place was amazing. Literally old boxed software and hardware from the 80s just stashed in ~wherever~

That can't still be there can it?
[/hijack]

Free Geek is gone, unfortunately

Edit: Maybe I've got the wrong place

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It’s been a slow week at work so I praise Linus for giving me something to read as the workday melts away. I feel mostly bad for his employees though. I hope they’re able to jump ship if they ever need to in the future.

Also I’m very happy Mac Address ginger dude isn’t involved in whatever this is. He’s the only LTT thing I routinely watch and has none of the baggage of Linus’s face on it, yet it is a little pedestrian if you’re looking for objective results and chartgore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Lister Tech Tips