Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

redshirt posted:

It actively pissed me off because with the return of Palpatine they completely undid the thematic point of the OT (and Prequels, but I'm just thinking mostly of ROTJ). And why did they bring him back?

Because Disney paid good money to George Lucas for the franchise and they are going to make money with ALL the classic characters you cherished and loved in your childhood. Or kill the franchise while trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Super-NintendoUser posted:

the movie Fortnite even tells you out loud "Somehow Palpatine has returned?"

E: damnit

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 15, 2023

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nine-gear crow posted:

It wasn't "somehow", he came back in Fortnite. That's how.

I appreciate it, but no thank you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It wasn't "somehow", he came back in Fortnite. That's how.

It's amazing really, not only was it an absolutely terrible story decision, but they announced it via a video game.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ I think the decision was because Rian Johnson killed Snoke in the second movie and JJ didn't know what to do after his heavy was killed off a movie early.

Kesper North posted:

i'm deeply disappointed that he is never palpated at any point in canon

Actually he's the one that does the palpitating. That's how he got his name. By using the force to Palpate his opponent's prostate. Something he was unable to do to Rey, which allowed her to defeat him. That's also why Vader was able to defeat him, because Vader lost his guy parts on Mustafar. When Palpatine can't force choke his opponent's prostate, he gets panicky and starts cumming force lightening even though it's not helping him.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I'm rewatching SNW with my parents and I realised that SNW is hiding a lot of the morality tales in the character drama. The episode where Uhura keeps seeing visions, is mainly about Uhura learning to deal with death, and there's some stuff in there about differences in interpreting communication.

It's not as strong as SNW S1, or TNG or whatever, but it's still there and it's well delivered in a way that will hit the people it needs to

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blistex posted:

/\ I think the decision was because Rian Johnson killed Snoke in the second movie and JJ didn't know what to do after his heavy was killed off a movie early.

Actually he's the one that does the palpitating. That's how he got his name. By using the force to Palpate his opponent's prostate. Something he was unable to do to Rey, which allowed her to defeat him. That's also why Vader was able to defeat him, because Vader lost his guy parts on Mustafar. When Palpatine can't force choke his opponent's prostate, he gets panicky and starts cumming force lightening even though it's not helping him.

it's almost like having absolutely no plan for each successive movie in a series is bad.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's almost like having absolutely no plan for each successive movie in a series is bad.

It absolutely blows my mind they seemingly had no over arching plan for these movies.

Also, to turn this back to Star Trek, god drat is Pike's hair amazing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blistex posted:

Which is hilarious because Colin Trevorrow of all people somehow did: You make Kylo Ren the main bad guy because he's the more interesting character than the empty bathrobe of IOU notes he succeeded.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

redshirt posted:

It actively pissed me off because with the return of Palpatine they completely undid the thematic point of the OT (and Prequels, but I'm just thinking mostly of ROTJ). And why did they bring him back?

They misheard the kids. They thought they were saying "More Palpatine, please!!!"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Blistex posted:

JJ didn't even know who Snoke was, let alone have plans for him.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Snoke 'em if you got 'em

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is hilarious because Colin Trevorrow of all people somehow did: You make Kylo Ren the main bad guy because he's the more interesting character than the empty bathrobe of IOU notes he succeeded.

You can't make Kylo Ren the main bad guy because then he becomes responsible for his own actions which makes him harder to redeem.

e: which is to say nu trek hosed up Cumberkhan *nod*

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 16, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

snoke? heh heh heh I MADE HIM

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So anyways, how 'bout them Wormhole Aliens??

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

Also, to turn this back to Star Trek, god drat is Pike's hair amazing.

Anson Mount's Pike is as hot as Shatner thinks Kirk is

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Big Mac posted:

Anson Mount's Pike is as hot as Shatner thinks Kirk is

Right? It's just incredible. I feel like it's an actual character in the show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You can't make Kylo Ren the main bad guy because then he becomes responsible for his own actions which makes him harder to redeem.

e: which is to say nu trek hosed up Cumberkhan *nod*

Fair, the worst thing you could ever say to a Star Wars fan is to tell them to practice personal responsibility. After The Last Jedi said "grow up, please", Duel of the Fates going "own your life choices, please" would inspire a manchild jihad that lasted a thousand years.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ghostlight posted:

<Shakes mystery box at TED talk>

"I'm loving brilliant!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Blistex posted:

<Shakes mystery box at TED talk>

"I'm loving brilliant!"

JJ's Schrödinger's Box

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

as long as you never open the box the cat isn't dead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"The best part about Mystery Boxes is you never have to reveal what's in them because I always hand that poo poo off to other people to finish for me!"

"JJ, um, uhh, we... sort of... actually need you to finish a story for once."

"....FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

"The best part about Mystery Boxes is you never have to reveal what's in them because I always hand that poo poo off to other people to finish for me!"

"JJ, um, uhh, we... sort of... actually need you to finish a story for once."

"....FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU:

The consequences of my own actions!

Is the JJ Trek dead? I saw most/all of them I think. They weren't terrible but not good Trek either. I like that Simon Pegg seems to have a rooting interest in them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think they're pretty dead - the age of Paramount chasing Star Wars money gave way to the age of Paramount chasing Game of Thrones money.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

I think they're pretty dead - the age of Paramount chasing Star Wars money gave way to the age of Paramount chasing Game of Thrones money.

Followed in short order by creditors chasing after Paramount for money period because they're bankrupt.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

They'll make one more in like 10 to 15 years to try to cash in on late 00's nostalgia

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll tell you what DS9 loving did it right because you start hearing about the Dominion early on in I think Season 1 and Season 2 then you finally encounter the Jem Ha Dar which are loving terrifying.

Just real good world building.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hollismason posted:

I'll tell you what DS9 loving did it right because you start hearing about the Dominion early on in I think Season 1 and Season 2 then you finally encounter the Jem Ha Dar which are loving terrifying.

Best spaceship too. :riker:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The Gamma Quadrant.... the loving Gamma Quadrant.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Hollismason posted:

I mean yeah but Babylon 5 handled it better. Like season 2 of Babylon 5 had me, literally, on the edge of my seat going "oh poo poo they're going to go to war any second now oh poo poo ph holy loving poo poo" whereas with DS9 it feels all like it's in the background by comparison.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

alexandriao posted:

I mean yeah but Babylon 5 handled it better. Like season 2 of Babylon 5 had me, literally, on the edge of my seat going "oh poo poo they're going to go to war any second now oh poo poo ph holy loving poo poo" whereas with DS9 it feels all like it's in the background by comparison.

I like DS9 and B5 equally but they're really totally different shows. b5 Definitely did the overall one long story better but DS9 did you can drop into any episode and get what is going on without any problem and still lay down some good future plots or resolve different story lines.

naem
May 29, 2011

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i would have loved that as a kid for sure

not now of course, i'm an adult who would NOT play with that toyset

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I like DS9 and B5 equally but they're really totally different shows. b5 Definitely did the overall one long story better but DS9 did you can drop into any episode and get what is going on without any problem and still lay down some good future plots or resolve different story lines.

b5 had a cool insect guy in season 1 that someone probably garibaldi went to for blackmarket poo poo and they SQANDERED it!!!! it only appears once!!!!! bullshit

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I need context on this

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

looks like someone got their star trek vi figures, staged them in a modified 3d print of the observation lounge, then slapped on some ghost kid faces and fake aging decals to imitate an 80s print advertisement.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

appropriatemetaphor posted:

i would have loved that as a kid for sure

not now of course, i'm an adult who would NOT play with that toyset

I never played with boys...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

It is loving conspicuous how little he gets explained in TFA. It felt like they just forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
The jar of pickled Snokes was the best part of the whole trilogy.