Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ultra-syncretism. If anyone believes anything, into the state religion it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

hashashash posted:

precisely what i'm thinking

and since he's insane, I'm happy to take thread opinions as to what he'll be thinking religion-wise

The current big boys are Patristic, Pharonic, Antiochene, Tengrism and Cultus Deorum.

Let's get an off-brand version of Manichaenism. Gnostic faith where the Holy Spirit, at the will of the Sky Father, incarnates as holy rulers to prepare for the Eternal Empire of the Sky reigned by Jesus Christ or Misicatengrin, as the end of Days. This is opposed by the spirits of Hell who wish to spawn their own rival empire, the end of days being a final battle between the two.

We can call it Philosoraenism

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Rejected Fate posted:

The current big boys are Patristic, Pharonic, Antiochene, Tengrism and Cultus Deorum.

Let's get an off-brand version of Manichaenism. Gnostic faith where the Holy Spirit, at the will of the Sky Father, incarnates as holy rulers to prepare for the Eternal Empire of the Sky reigned by Jesus Christ or Misicatengrin, as the end of Days. This is opposed by the spirits of Hell who wish to spawn their own rival empire, the end of days being a final battle between the two.

We can call it Philosoraenism

unironically not a bad idea

might use Judaism or Christianity as a base to incorporate pagan ideals, make the steppes a bit easier to rule

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.
If it's ultra syncretism we're after, the Taurician peninsular was one of the last holdouts of the hypsistarians, an extremely odd (to the most of our knowledge) Greco-Judaic monotheistic fire cult

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Yuiiut posted:

If it's ultra syncretism we're after, the Taurician peninsular was one of the last holdouts of the hypsistarians, an extremely odd (to the most of our knowledge) Greco-Judaic monotheistic fire cult

yeah I reckon that's the general aim I'm going for -- judaism as a base, but with heavy pagan customs incorporated (concubines, grand festivals, maybe Tengri and Thor etc as angels)

and because he's a bit mad, I'm definitely having him prance about claiming to be the Holy Spirit incarnate

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 14, 2023

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Looking back, I'm surprised no one made a "BUT I DON'T WANT TO PLAY PONTUS!!!" joke.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Hell yeah. Syncretic Tolerance YHWH incoming.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Yuiiut posted:

the hypsistarians were into syncretism before it was cool

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

hashashash posted:

yeah I reckon that's the general aim I'm going for -- judaism as a base, but with heavy pagan customs incorporated (concubines, grand festivals, maybe Tengri and Thor etc as angels)

and because he's a bit mad, I'm definitely having him prance about claiming to be the Holy Spirit incarnate

But how does he feel about pants?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

ZiegeDame posted:

But how does he feel about pants?

he's deffo considering some legislation to tackle that very serious issue

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

A Renaissance man 400 years early!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

hashashash posted:

he's deffo considering some legislation to tackle that very serious issue

What's his position on holes in walls? Yea or Nay?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Also, out of interest: does anyone know who to PM to change a thread title

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think you can just hit the report button on your post and ask for the name change.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

I think you can just hit the report button on your post and ask for the name change.

ah nice i'll give that a shot

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Part 17 — The Great Steppes — 1115 to 1150

According to the ancients, the River Tanais was the boundary between Europa and Asia, the homeland of the Amazons, the prize that was partitioned between the sons of Noah and then ransacked by the nomadic Huns and Turks coming out of the east.

And in the year 1116, another saga was borne by that legendary river —

The prince Philosir crossed the border between continents with an army of levies and mercenaries numbering almost 8000, intent on carving an empire out of the vastness of the Asias.

He began by invading the khanate of Tahent, a remnant of the Hunnic empire that was disintegrating year by year.

Philosir accompanied his armies on campaign, but delegated most of the battlefield tactics to his talented generals, who immediately locked horns with the Huns at the fords of Sarysyn…

…and this first foray into the Steppes would prove to be a complete disaster, with the Huns encircling and crushing the numerically-superior Taurican force.

The prince rushed back to his peninsula with his tail between his legs, but he did not suffer defeat without learning from it as well.

The infantry he’d been using so far were decent, but Philosir knew that horses were crucial to controlling the vast swathes of grasslands that made up the Great Steppe, horses and horsemen both. And so he recruited Huns and Turks and Scythians into his armies, awarding them allotments of land, arming them with firearms, putting them on top of horses and camels, and then loosing them on the Steppes…

And this 1118 campaign was much more successful — firearms were a new force in the Steppes, and when wielded by those born-and-bred to sail through those grassy seas, there was none who could oppose them.

By the year 1125, the Taurican empire was a formidable force, having seized the contested Golden Hills as well as the fertile lands cradled by the River Volga.

As the months and years slipped by and the star of Taurica slowly rose, however, it’s prince was becoming increasingly… eccentric, some might say, frequently partaking in mystical practices and smoking all manner of roots and herbs.

He also had a very unorthodox approach to religion: when meeting emissaries from his brother, he was the picture of Christian piety; when negotiating with Greek merchants, he boasted of the Jewish ancestry of the Elissid dynasty; when treating with Turkic nomads, he swore his oaths on the Sky Father and Earth Mother.

And on a crisp spring day in 1128, he proclaimed his conversion to an entirely new religion.

Much like Taurica itself, this newmade faith was a confusion of contradictions — the core of a single Almighty God (Yahweh) was preserved, but pagan gods such as Tengri and Vulcanothor were recognised as angels; witchcraft and deviancy was fully accepted; incest was outlawed but avunculate marriage was permitted; multiple wives were prohibited but concubines were fair game; and on and on.

And its theology was no less complicated, preaching that the Holy Spirit was incarnated in the person of divinely-appointed kings (i.e. Philosir) so as to prepare the forces of Heaven-and-Earth against the spawn of Hell-and-Underworld at the End of Days, the Battle of Battles, Ragnarok, etc etc. As per the writings of its priests — “Self-begotten, un-taught, un-mothered, undisturbed, not permitting a name, many-named, dwelling in fire.”

It seemed to vaguely resemble Judaism more than anything else, but in the end, the religion was a gnostic melding of pagan and Abrahamic beliefs that would have scandalised any righteous priest, rabbi or imam.

Surprisingly, however, hundreds or even thousands of peasants and commoners followed their beloved lord into his new faith, which would be dubbed Philosiric Judaism.

Of course, there were those who were not so willing to abandon the faith of their fathers and greatfathers for the deranged ramblings of a madman — and Philosir was almost assassinated by one such zealot in 1130.

The assassin tried to set the prince’s leisure boat afire whilst he was cruising down the river Salagyr, but fortunately he had terrible aim and Philosir survived to see another day.

At the same time, the Taurican conquest of the Steppes continued unabated. Jend was captured in 1138, Ulytau in 1140, Jalmat in 1144, Akmola in 1145 and Perm in 1147.

Akmola was actually the site at which Philosir broke the power of the Turks in a ferocious battle, with his own 28,000 troops overcoming 22,000 Turks to win the day and the steppe.

Decisive battles were also fought at Aral Il and Permia, where the Parthians and Huns were similarly humbled.

In the aftermath of these battles, the Turks began to look to the west, with many tribes migrating, settling and raiding deep into Europa.

Thus, as the half-century of 1150 approached, Philosir had doubled, trebled, and then quadrupled his holdings so that they stretched from the rocky shores of Taurica to the snowy wastes of Siberia —

https://i.imgur.com/NPDk2vu.mp4
The biggest obstacle to his ambitions, however, was the wealthy and formidable city-fortress of Astrakhan, which had thrown back Philosir’s armies in three separate wars and five sieges over the course of his many conquests.

Philosir personally travelled to Astrakhan to end a sixth siege in 1148, and he did so with ruthless ingenuity — commanding his soldiers to load the rotting bodies of plague victims into his catapults and trebuchets, and then sling them into the defiant city.

The ploy succeeded, and within a few weeks the plague-infested city was forced to open its gates in surrender…

…but not before the lord of Astrakhan slipped out in the dead of the night, him and his family escaping aboard a ship that, soon after, docked in Byzantion. The sailors of that ship immediately took to the brothels and markets of the great city with glee, spending their hard-earned coin on food and drink and flesh without thought or fear.

That is, until the first victim was discovered just four days later, covered in buboes.

So begins the Black Death.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 10, 2023

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

(credit to the black death mod for what's about to happen - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2729249229)

i did go with a random date btw, and framed the events/narrative to fit around it

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
In the upcoming times of plague, only Philosiric Judaism will light the way to the future.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

surely the lord will protect, and this plague will do naught but solidify our new faiths hold on the masses (and our soon-to-be emperor's grip on the wide steepes)

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Those levels of conquest do seem to evidence our Lord's philosophy.

Although what is to come may be a hell of a criticism.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Big fan of the kitchen sink religious philosophy.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

haha oops

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I love the "What do you mean its heretic? I don't see what you're talking about!" vibe that Philosir bring to the table

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

studiously rotating which diplomats get invited to which feasts to never get called out

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Part 18 — The Black Death — 1150 to 1215

Though there are few who survived the Century of Calamity, this is how they say it went.

It began with the King Pestilence, the Great Mortality, the Black Death, brought forth from the wastes of Asia and unleashed into the heart of civilisation.

After sweeping through the Steppe, the Black Death assaulted the great city of Philosiris, where it claimed the lives of many in that most decadent court…

And though it wracked through Philosiris with a terrible ruthlessness, the king of Taurica — Philosir himself — was spared, time and again, even as his sons and daughters and wives and grandchildren were all taken from him.

The great king wandered the barren halls of his opulent palaces, demanding answers from his subjects and advisors — those that still lived, anyways.

Some priests believed it to be a punishment from God, and so had to be suffered. Others said it was actually a blessing from God, a martyrdom that guaranteed Heaven, and ought not be cured. The learned and educated insisted that it was a condition of bad airs, or perhaps a conjunction of the planets. They tried and tinkered and treated, but they ended up with the same buboes as everyone else.

And so Philosir was alone again.

Eventually, at some point, it simply became too much. Though Philosir never contracted the disease himself, his life was destroyed by it, and at the height of the spring sickness of 1153, he simply… gave up.

He set aside his crown and disappeared from his own court, city, country, leaving everything he had worked for to one of his grandsons.

This was not the end of Philosir’s story, however. It was simply a new beginning, one that will be told in another time, another place.

As for the Black Death, it rushed down roads and sprang from city to city — Philosiris to Byzantion and Trebizond, then to Athens and Olorixana, then to Alexandria and Makkah and Susa and Carthage and on and on.

It seeped along the tradeways and sealanes, killing without care for rank or wealth, power or influence. It wormed into peasant hovels and kingly palaces, it cut through quarantined cities and armies on the march, it bubbled on the faces of hideous crones and beautiful maidens, it buried babes and old men in the same graves.

The white provinces are infested with the black death in 1175, the grey are not.

In the Elissid Crowns, the string of victorious conquests and crusades was ground to a halt by the plague, with the weakening of central authority resulting in rebellions erupting throughout the empire.

Further west, the plague resulted in ‘Second Carthage’ collapsing into successor states once again (this time all of them being Islamic powers) whilst the republic of Spania weathered the crises without crumbling.

To the north, the rest of Europa was a roiling sea of rising and falling kings and dynasties, cultures and religion.

The Germanic kingdoms in Italia were briefly united under the Teutons, but several waves of Black Death so weakened them that the recently-risen kingdom of Batavia was able to invade and conquer vast tracts of land from them. Beyond that, the realms of Sclavenia, Gaul and Little Carthage were slowly feudalising, settling and delineating their borders.

The black rot even reached the distant isles that sit on the edge of the world, where, after a resistance that stretched across centuries, the native Britons finally collapsed to invading Normans and Slavs.

Back in Philosiris, the new king of Taurica was not dealing with the burdens of rulership very well. Haunted by the death of his brothers, sisters, father, mother, even his little baby daughter, he turned to drink and women to cloud his mind.

This depression only spiralled until he killed himself in the royal bathhouse…

…leaving the mantle of the kingdom to a one-year-old infant.

For half a century, the Black Death wreaked its havoc on Asia, Europa, Africa, destroying families and decimating armies and turning cities into ghost towns. There was widespread depopulation and social unrest, famine and plague, riots and rebellions…

But nothing lasts forever, and eventually, at the turn of the century, the plague began its long-awaited retreat. The number of victims ebbed, the unrest slowly eased, the revolts dwindled. The demise of the Black Death was finally in sight.

A new era was on the horizon, and little Buzan would be at its forefront.

Not just yet, though.

The years between 1150 and 1250 were not known as the Century of Calamity for that black pestilence alone, and as the years turned about 1200 and the world slowly recovered from the ravages of disease and plague, a new disaster was rising in the east.

They were called Mongols.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 10, 2023

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone tell the khan about our new faith, stat

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hmm, yes, I see why this is called the Century of Calamity.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD1gDSao1eA

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I'm sure we can talk reasonably to this Temujin fellow.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Rejected Fate posted:

shame there's no option to not execute his emissaries and have some peaceful trade

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Losing +10 kids to the black death is a pretty rough run!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

Losing +10 kids to the black death is a pretty rough run!

yep pretty much took out an entire generation

also my levies evaporated so there was no conquest and a bunch of provinces broke away, but they shouldn't be too hard to retake

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Rejected Fate posted:

Funnily enough, the best way to deal with him is to wait that he has amassed strength and ennemies and then stab him 5 times and then stab his heir 5 times when he takes the throne and to rinse and repeat until the Mongol Empire is no more.

hashashash posted:

yep pretty much took out an entire generation

Hopefully, they will wash their hands now.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Funnily enough, the best way to deal with him is to wait that he has amassed strength and ennemies and then stab him 5 times and then stab his heir 5 times when he takes the throne and to rinse and repeat until the Mongol Empire is no more.

Hopefully, they will wash their hands now.

I'm thinking about going the assassination route -- but it would be quite gamey, especially if our new ruler doesn't end up as a very flamboyant schemer

on the other hand, we'll definitely get steamrolled otherwise so ?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I don't think it's game over if the Khan conquers you, you just lose your empire title and are vassalized. I think a few generations as vassals wouldn't be too bad, we can just break free once the empire splits up.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

hashashash posted:

I'm thinking about going the assassination route -- but it would be quite gamey, especially if our new ruler doesn't end up as a very flamboyant schemer

I thought there was always 20 peoples ready to stab the big boss even if you didn't take into account bribe?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I don't think it's game over if the Khan conquers you, you just lose your empire title and are vassalized. I think a few generations as vassals wouldn't be too bad, we can just break free once the empire splits up.

oh i didn't know that to be fair

could also just 'peacefully' surrender to the great khan and join his glorious conquests wherever they lead

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I thought there was always 20 peoples ready to stab the big boss even if you didn't take into account bribe?

probably yeah, but I was referring more to the roleplaying aspect of it

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

hashashash posted:

could also just 'peacefully' surrender to the great khan and join his glorious conquests wherever they lead

Only if we can graft on Mongolian Tengrism to our already Frankensteined syncretic Abrahamism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

broke: stab frenzy
woke: submit and chill
bespoke: submit and stab your way into ruling as the khan of the empire you were trying to build anyways