Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

jetz0r posted:

Revealed in the credits of s08e05, not even on screen.

loving yes

Asmodean's Killer - same actress as someone else

that's perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They could probably introduce Asmodean and kill him off in one episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

About to finish Path of Daggers and so far " The Slump" isn't as bad as I remember. Yeah everything is on a slower time scale and yeah the cast doesn't meet up in a climactic show down.

But there are alot of mini climaxes, Samuel v. Rand, Nynaeve overcoming her block, solving fantasy climate change, Rand v. Vietnam, that feels very satisfying.

And with a reread and following that Tumblr analysis the slow down stuff is pretty purposeful. Usually for the women it's frustration building to a great shift in the status quo (Egwene becoming Generalissmo of War) or Rand being hobbled by his own hubris (creating his own Nam).

I dont have a lot of good memories of Wonters Heart and Crossroads, hope they also hold up better than I remember.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

They could probably introduce Asmodean and kill him off in one episode.

If they find someone good I hope they have them stick around. Like I said before he was such a good addition to the cast.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Seriously, the slog is so much less now because we're not waiting years for CoT to come out.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Shageletic posted:

If they find someone good I hope they have them stick around. Like I said before he was such a good addition to the cast.

I still think Billy Zane as Asmodean or Demandred is the way to go.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Wheel takes podcast brought up Ben Schwartz (Jean Ralphio in parks and rec) as asmodean and I have to grudgingly say it is the absolute perfect casting for asmodean’s arc, vibe, and motivations

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

seaborgium posted:

I still think Billy Zane as Asmodean or Demandred is the way to go.

He’d be an amazing Demandred, but I feel like he’s probably persona non grata after taking part in that weird, middle of the night, informercial version of the prologue. Even if I’m sure it was just a job to him, and he had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

I remember being so pissed about it when it came out, mainly because he would have made for a really good Ishy in a good production, and realizing that the ship had officially sailed on that.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Rand… listen to your friend lews Therin, hes a cool dude…he’s trying to help you out

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Alvaro Morte has probably been my favorite actor in the series so far so I'm pumped about seeing him interact with Rand.

As far as replacing Asmodean as Rand's teacher goes, on the one hand him being gentled could be seen as a reasonable replacement for Asmodean's shield in making him a character that Rand can trust if only by force. On the other hand, it's real early for Rand to get a grip on his abilities even with necessary tv compression, and they've all but confirmed Asmodean as one of the Forsaken that made the cut.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Asmo wasn’t stilled so it would be hard to show Rand how to channel if you can’t actually channel.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

He’d be an amazing Demandred, but I feel like he’s probably persona non grata after taking part in that weird, middle of the night, informercial version of the prologue. Even if I’m sure it was just a job to him, and he had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.

I remember being so pissed about it when it came out, mainly because he would have made for a really good Ishy in a good production, and realizing that the ship had officially sailed on that.
Billy Zane is quite aware of what it was all about, apparently.

This video with him: https://youtube.com/shorts/tb-q4Ap2IPk?feature=share was made by the nerdy wordy book club guy at a con. He said that Zane knew about them trying to keep the rights and that they had finally gotten around to using them, to make the show on Amazon.

(Also it's loving cool that Billy Zane agreed to do that dumb video)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Billy Zane will do anything if it’s catered.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Picturing him like Carl Weathers skulking around the studio backlots looking for craft services tables

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Anyone have a good pic of Fain at the darkfriend social they added? Google barely searches anymore

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

buffalo all day posted:

Rand… listen to your friend lews Therin, hes a cool dude…he’s trying to help you out

You sure about that?

Break it break it break it break it break it break it break it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

You sure about that?

Break it break it break it break it break it break it break it

God I hope they do that scene justice.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Winter's Heart is definitely a slower read so far. Jordan loves to make multiple chapters from one viewpoint in this part of the books, and for the first few chapters we're stuck in Perrin's narrative, which largely hasn't changed since the fourth book or so. He's a bit more sure of himself and being a leader, but it feels like its the same sort of problems five books back are still cropping up, down to the groan worthy Berelain/Faile conflict. It's kinda apt tho because his narrative is now including more plots that have been laying stagnant for a few books as well, like the Shaido and the Prophet. So I can see Jordan just deciding to wrap up any big plots from earlier in the series, throwing them together, and trying to finish them off all at once. Here's hoping it pays off.

It doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be a central conflict underlying the book, even metaphorically, with Crown of Swords and Path of Daggers both taking thematic steps forward (and sometimes backwards) on how the various characters deal with trauma and how the main characters deal with increasing power, respectively. Just seems like the latest episode of a long running soap.

But I'm really looking forward to the cleansing saidan battle at the end, I remember it being a doozy.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/WoTUp5/status/1691108491375878145?s=20

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Beak not hooked enough shows ruined :ohdear:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Welp there goes my guess

If they're announcing her now I imagine Faile is in season 2 though

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Nihilarian posted:

Welp there goes my guess

If they're announcing her now I imagine Faile is in season 2 though

She almost has to be! Like unless they wanted to delay her entire arc to start from book 4

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

It's gonna be weird introducing a love interest for Perrin when his only characterization so far is that he fridged his wife with his own hands

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

She had it coming, she should have known better than to be at the start of a TV show

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goddammit I forgot that Tylin was in this book too

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

There’s a shitload of links to new cast interviews that dropped this week in this twitter thread. I guess they were all recorded before the sag strike.

https://x.com/lionesswisd0m/status/1691090438176882689?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

Interesting bits include a sanitarium for male channelers in S2 and Josha is doing a reread. Rosamund in one of her interviews mentions there being two 70+ year old actresses in S3. Shohreh Aghdashloo is 71 :swoon: The other is probably Hayley Mills. And an episode in S3 is described as “psychedelic.”

It also sounds like the Gitara Moroso foretelling is in S2 from this interview

https://tvline.com/interviews/wheel-of-time-season-2-news-rosamund-pike-preview-moiraine-villains-romance-1235028051/

Hexel fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 15, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just finished Winter's Heart, which does have a couple of banger action scenes to close out (Rand assasinating ppl in Far Madding, and the cleansing of Saiden) written only over a few pages. The book is certainly less coherent than the previous ones, and alot of the plotlines in it just are continuances meant to end after, but all in all I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also I loved loved loved Mat going back to unlock the collar of the Windfinder, and her promising to release her people. This damane poo poo is so depressing, but the specter of a bunch of collared black women whose will is slowly being demolished actually bothers me in irl, and I actually whooped (also irl) when I forgot and read that section. That's great hero poo poo right there.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There’s a reason why Mat’s the GOAT of the series. Shoulda just been him honestly.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The Seanchan actually bother me too, which is a pretty rare thing in fiction for me. I think they're excellent villains, in a very human sort of way.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

They represent such a stain on humanity that has existed and still exists. They're not serving the dark one, but holy poo poo they're horrific. Like the Whitecloaks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

They represent such a stain on humanity that has existed and still exists. They're not serving the dark one, but holy poo poo they're horrific. Like the Whitecloaks.

Yea, the whitecloak : seanchan thing is incompetent human evil : competent human evil.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They never really have a reckoning with how the Sul’dam have to be channelers too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

One of the main things to have been written, alas

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

That's part of what's so great about them as a secondary antagonist. You really want them to be serving the Dark One, in a way, just for the moral clarity that they're monsters. But they're not. They're not even an enemy the Shadow deliberately manufactured in the way that the Shaido rebellion or the White Tower schism was. They just have a culture with an abhorrent moral code that's reachable through entirely mundane human behavior.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Killer robot posted:

That's part of what's so great about them as a secondary antagonist. You really want them to be serving the Dark One, in a way, just for the moral clarity that they're monsters. But they're not. They're not even an enemy the Shadow deliberately manufactured in the way that the Shaido rebellion or the White Tower schism was. They just have a culture with an abhorrent moral code that's reachable through entirely mundane human behavior.
Well, I dunno. The Seanchan were deliberately manufactured by Ishamael. Not as immediately as your other examples, of course, but they're definitely an arrow fired by the Shadow 1000 years ago.

We get some stories, but AFAICR nothing concrete about their evolution. Did they end up as they are because sometimes humans just suck? Or did they end up like that because their start was twisted in some way to begin with?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bio347 posted:

Well, I dunno. The Seanchan were deliberately manufactured by Ishamael. Not as immediately as your other examples, of course, but they're definitely an arrow fired by the Shadow 1000 years ago.

We get some stories, but AFAICR nothing concrete about their evolution. Did they end up as they are because sometimes humans just suck? Or did they end up like that because their start was twisted in some way to begin with?

the sons of hawkwing hated aes sedai i guess, and when they got to seanchan they found aes sedai claiming power for themselves

it's a pretty understandable path to where they are, and tbf without mat getting involved they probably would have wrecked randland post last battle

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Some posters have dropped today, but as replies so they may not be as obvious. Four so far, should be a few more coming

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1691793539548791068

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1691797737778577896

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1691806158661857558

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1691806683620835708

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Lord of the Morning and Daughter of the Night :swoon: