Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

When trying to get the complaint dismissed, HP claimed that support agents who said printers are designed to not scan without ink don't represent HP

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

look we just call them "customer support representatives" as a funny joke okay

mystes
May 31, 2006

they don't represent the company when they're saying things that would get the company in trouble, especially if they have been instructed to say those things by the company

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

look, of course they need ink to scan, how else are they going to draw the little pictures in your computer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lol the specific printer model in the complaint is the same one I was helping set up. I don't think friend mom needs to scan things, but looking forward to hearing about that one

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quiggy posted:

once again capitalism is diametrically opposed to making art

contribute to my patreon

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

akadajet posted:

contribute to my patreon

i have two patreons, one that supports me posting more, and one that supports me posting less

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there are two patreons inside you~

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

well-read undead posted:

look, of course they need ink to scan, how else are they going to draw the little pictures in your computer

what if there were a scan error? how would they print the error message? huh?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

Lol the specific printer model in the complaint is the same one I was helping set up. I don't think friend mom needs to scan things, but looking forward to hearing about that one

it's impressive that the company that brought you a driver that requires JRE and an entire apache tomcat instance to run somehow managed to get worse, but HP innovates

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

infernal machines posted:

it's impressive that the company that brought you a driver that requires JRE and an entire apache tomcat instance to run somehow managed to get worse, but HP innovates

:stonklol:

what?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

consumer hp inkjet drivers in the early to mid-2000s ran apache tomcat as the driver config and reporting interface, they also required the jre for this

as you might imagine, none of this poo poo got patched or updated, so it was a massive potential security threat, and also used shitloads of ram, back when 512MB was still considered pretty good.

all this so you could see if your ink was low or switch paper types

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 16, 2023

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
write once, print anywhere*

(*as long as you give us your wifi password and sign up for a monthly ink subscription)

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

consumer hp inkjet drivers in the early to mid-2000s ran apache tomcat as the driver config and reporting interface, they also required the jre for this

as you might imagine, none of this poo poo got patched or updated, so it was a massive potential security threat, and also used shitloads of ram, back when 512MB was still considered pretty good.

can't believe they were embedding entire episodes of the joe rogan experience into printers, so wasteful

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

jesus overturning the merchant tables at the temple, but instead he’s overturning printers at hp headquarters

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well you'll be glad to hear that they don't do that anymore! The current version of the printer driver appears to be a white-label web browser instance that renders everything in html, complete with embedded ads and 404s and certificate errors ("if you see a security warning, click accept"). Much better.

At first I felt a little dumb printing things by feeding letter size sheets one at a time into the four foot wide inkjet at school, but its driver is straight out of the 90s (this is good) and it just works.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the webserver in modern hp consumer printer stuff is running on the printer itself and you connect to it either via wifi or over USB depending on how you have it connected.

Fun fact: on many HP printers you can enter an admin password longer than the printer supports and it will secretly truncate it. Theres also no way to factory default the password if you dont know what the password is.

nobody is ever gonna make the mistake of making a printer that just works cause they'd last too long.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

the webserver in modern hp consumer printer stuff is running on the printer itself and you connect to it either via wifi or over USB depending on how you have it connected.

I guess that isn't a terrible idea on its face. But I'm sure hp hosed it up (I mean, 404s and security errors in the setup process? Really?)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

could you imagine hp issuing a unique device certificate from a trusted certificate provider for every single printer they've sold, and keeping it valid?

like, consider yourself lucky they don't just force-install a root cert provider good for 99 years as part of the driver

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

buy a basic b&w laser printer. you don't need colour because you will never actually print any of the photos you think you're going to.

you will use the scanner precisely once

and who the gently caress has faxed anything since like 1998?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't think these are issues that affect anyone in yospos beyond sagebrush's specific edge case

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

entering my third hour on hold with hp support because my printer is telling me one of its mesos nodes isn't coming up

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

web servers in printers are good, they are how Apple solved printing once and for all with AirPrint

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I guess that isn't a terrible idea on its face. But I'm sure hp hosed it up (I mean, 404s and security errors in the setup process? Really?)

yeah, so certain features you access thru the client interface are either directly accessing a web page via usb/wifi or using web services. Many features, especially administrative/maintenance features, are locked behind authentication. On the face of it this makes sense considering it would be on wifi and you dont want randos controlling your printer. However, for "ease of use" it doesnt force you to set this up so the client UI might be trying to access some service but it cant cause you arent authenticated because you cant authenticate because you never set it up. Or in my case you did but you forgot the password and it cant be reset without sending it back to HP.

This is all on top of the client side software just being straight up bad and not handling things correctly which im guessing is both just a result of this being consumer trash HP doesnt care about and a problem of firmware/client side mismatch.

Hp makes about 10000 of these same fax/scanner models that are all very slightly different and each has its own custom firmware. The client side UI/tools are one size fits all. The differences end up causing problems if you're running a newer version of the client than the firmware supports. If you know your printer creds you could probably try to upgrade the firmware but good luck finding the tools to do that.

its all terrible poo poo that belongs in a dumpster and if i printed more than one thing a year i'd consider getting something else

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
HP's business side poo poo where its just unauthenticated access to the 9100 jet direct port was the way to go

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if i need to print anything i walk up the block to the print shop and hand the guy a dollar.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think these are issues that affect anyone in yospos beyond sagebrush's specific edge case

The edge case of "IT guy for elderly relative?" :confused:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
the corporate printing sales people were always the highest paid reps at hp and dell, it’s still wildly profitable and generates more earnings that the computer business.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i have an hp print that my in-laws bought us for christmas one year and its one of the ones shaggar and sagebrush are talking about wiht the jank POS web server on it. you cant scan as 1200 dpi without the app, the web ui just... won't let you do it. its a real pos. thankfully macOS's default tool will. hp is a gently caress.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

post hole digger posted:

thankfully macOS's default tool will. hp is a gently caress.
god bless u timb :unsmith:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

the corporate printing sales people were always the highest paid reps at hp and dell, it’s still wildly profitable and generates more earnings that the computer business.

tale as old as time. xerox fumbled the bag with everything from PARC but the laser printer was such a fat nut for them it ended up working out just fine.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

if I need to print anything I visit my parents and use their Brother HL-L2340DW that I told my dad to buy when he asked a decade ago

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

apparently they're up to the 2390 now

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sweevo posted:

i faxed something in 2009 op

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

all ui graphics suck these days. photorealism needs to come back. look at what they took from us!

i wish i still had the mail icon

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

post hole digger posted:

thankfully macOS's default tool will. hp is a gently caress.

preview.app is an unsung treasure for so, so many reasons

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sweevo posted:

anyone who has to deal with doctor poo poo in the us, that's all they use.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Midjack posted:

anyone who has to deal with doctor poo poo in the us, that's all they use.

or real estate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
faxes are great for regulatory compliance. any replacement system needs encryption to stop anyone in the middle from seeing your data, authentication to make sure the person you sent it to is allowed to see it and that they're the only one who receives it, and after all that you're still liable for breaches if you made any mistakes in any of that stuff.

but if you use a fax machine, you can just blast out private data in the clear over the public telephone system and it's all fully compliant and you can't be held liable if someone steals it