Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Well, there were a ton of alerts that it had to match passport exactly, so I wasn't gonna futz with it too much. Anyhow, if you don't want to sit next to a baby on an international flight you should avoid coming to Japan at the end of March!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

We will be working on a strawberry farm, succulent farm, tea farm, field clearing, fruit tree pruning, green roofs as some examples in 30s temps with humidity and some rain. Hot, sweaty work.

Go peruse Workman’s website for stuff. Shops in-person may or may not be close to stations.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Mero Mero posted:

Well, there were a ton of alerts that it had to match passport exactly, so I wasn't gonna futz with it too much. Anyhow, if you don't want to sit next to a baby on an international flight you should avoid coming to Japan at the end of March!

I would sit next to a baby for sure. My kids are well past that stage but nowhere near having babies of their own so I have a serious lack of babies in my life.

In short you need to sit next to middle aged or older moms who just want some baby hugs. I'll never forget once sitting across from an elderly couple that basically adopted my baby for half the flight so I could relax.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

harperdc posted:

Go peruse Workman’s website for stuff. Shops in-person may or may not be close to stations.

Looks promising! Thank you

We decided to drop Naiihama and go to the festival in Himeji plus meet up there and I’m definitely going to the sake fest.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 16, 2023

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

pezzie posted:

Anyone fly on Zipair yet? I'm taking a trip with my cousin and his son next Spring, and Zipair's full flat seats are around $1000 one way. We're thinking of springing for it for the flight from LAX to NRT.

I know since it's a low cost carrier that I'll have to pay separately for a checked bag, meals, and drinks, but the thought of having business class level seats for that price seems pretty great. Youtube reviews look decent too.

I flew SFO - NRT and back this month on Zipair and they were mostly fine. I got one of their introductory special fares so it was literally 1/3 the price of JAL/ANA on that route. You definitely get less legroom and the seats are a little less comfortable, but still tolerable. If you want to check a bag (lol), pick a seat, and eat one meal you gotta pay a hundred dollars extra each way for their bundle. You have to preorder your inflight meal(s) well in advance but you generally have 4-6 options for around 1500 yen. You can buy snacks and alcohol on the plane for a 40% markup over Japanese convenience store prices (e.g., 500 yen for a beer or canned suntory kaku highball).
Some of the things they cheap out on as a budget airline are very weird. The recorded English inflight announcements were done by a text to speech program. But they also have a few weird touches like always folding the toilet paper to have the little corner thing after people use it.

I think flying Zipair would have been more worth it for the lay flat seats, but my main goal was to save money to spend on food in Japan. If you are thinking about flying JAL, watch out for their fuel surcharge flying out of Japan. Zipair doesn’t have one, thankfully.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
That all sounds fine, except it would feel very weird to pay for drinks on a transpacific flight.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

LyonsLions posted:

I would sit next to a baby for sure. My kids are well past that stage but nowhere near having babies of their own so I have a serious lack of babies in my life.

In short you need to sit next to middle aged or older moms who just want some baby hugs. I'll never forget once sitting across from an elderly couple that basically adopted my baby for half the flight so I could relax.

I have totally tagged in for other moms flying with a baby and no partner on those flights, because I have done it a few times myself. Just like, you wanna go to the bathroom while baby is sleeping? Yes, go make that happen, I know what to do.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Finally some good posts about kids on a plane.

I’m always happy for other families going on a vacation.

boo hoo business/first/economy class seats have kids next to you, whatever spending money doesn’t make you special

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
When I see a baby on a plane, I might feel slightly annoyed because I know I might have a bit of a more noisy flight, but I always keep in mind that no matter how I'm feeling, that baby's parents are probably feeling a lot worse. I'd never get angry at the parents, because sometimes babies have to travel.

Plus these days I've got decent noise cancelling headphones and when I've got music or a movie playing, I don't really hear the outside much. Even when I need a nap I can put on some white background noise like the sound of rain.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The only time I've been genuinely mad about it was when the screaming baby next to me finally went to sleep after about six hours, and the mom intentionally woke it up again fifteen minutes later. What the gently caress, lady.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Here is a question I have since it's something I've never done before. How easy is it to get an overnight train to a location like...would it be a good idea to say take a 7-8 hour train ride over night from Tokyo to the Sakaiminato area (or as close as I can get at least)?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Good Listener posted:

Here is a question I have since it's something I've never done before. How easy is it to get an overnight train to a location like...would it be a good idea to say take a 7-8 hour train ride over night from Tokyo to the Sakaiminato area (or as close as I can get at least)?

Unless I'm mistaken, the Sunrise Izumo sleeper train goes through Yonago which isn't far from Sakaiminato. If you can even get tickets for it.

Other trains Tokyo-Yonago seem easy enough to come by in the daytime (~5-6 hours) but mostly get replaced by buses all the way to Nagoya or Kyoto at night for double the travel time (~10-11+ hours).

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sunrise Izumo and Seto are the only overnight trains in Japan.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Oo got it, I'll look into it more cuz it's either bus, train or plane to get from Tokyo to there. Just was wondering if you all had any experience/if it was possible. Thanks!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Don't take a bus.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Unless you can sleep on a bus, in which case the overnight intercity buses are a pretty good deal.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Grand Fromage posted:

Unless you can sleep on a bus, in which case the overnight intercity buses are a pretty good deal.

I've always been curious about those overnight busses that have the sleeping pods like a business class flight, but never enough to actually subject myself to trying it out. I'll stick to watching those Youtube videos with no voiceover and only subtitles.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My one overnight bus experience was Guatemala City to Tikal and I was also sick with food poisoning never again bus

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I used to take night buses in Japan but if you have the means I do not recommend it for any reason. Cool I saved 3000 yen to get to Tokyo but it is 6am and everything is closed and I didn't sleep.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Don't take a bus.

This. Especially if you’re coming from overseas. Take a flight, take a Shinkansen or even take the local trains. Just avoid the night buses. Treat yourself kindly.

If you’re a broke ALT going to see a girlfriend three prefectures away, ignore that advice. Fine. But if you’re paying enough to come from the US or Europe? Good god. Don’t cheap out.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

If you can do this then consider being tested for narcolepsy.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I rode on the Sunrise overnight train from Tokyo to Izumo a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Although I was in a private room I slept pretty comfortably except I forgot to turn the heater on so it did get quite cold at night.

Definitely would not recommend a bus though.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Appreciate the help~ Figured a train might be fun and be different than another plane ride and all and maybe a bit cheaper? Not 100% sure there. I did learn that only All Nippon Airline operates the Tokyo to Yonago flights so far though.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

How bad are the crowds in Tokyo/Matsumoto/Takayama during Golden Week? I read several horror stories about transportation and restaurants and it doesn't feel me with confidence.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Tokyo isn't too bad during Golden Week as tourists don't really flock there. Have you ever been to Tokyo during a weekend so parks, malls, attractions, etc are quite busy? Well Golden Week is like that except on the weekdays as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any fun day trips out of Fukuoka? I'm looking to start planning my 2024 travel and I'm thinking about hitting Japan in November for a change.

Not terribly interested in Fukuoka for its own sake, but I do want to hit the sumo tournament for a day or two, so that means I'll be flying out there for at least a few days. So at this point I'm trying to understand whether I want to plan anything else while I'm based out of there.

I guess a fun day trip is really subjective so it's probably not a super valid question, but just collecting data points this far out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is that volcanic mud bath place outside of Fukuoka? The one where steam is coming out of the soil?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's probably Beppu, which is day trippable but just far enough that 1 night would be recommended.

Fukuoka is a big city and the most unique attraction might be the outdoor food stalls (yatai). Dazaifu was a nice half-day visit.

Kitakyushu (Kokura) has more museums and historical buildings.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We've narrowed down Kyoto as where we want to do the ryokan and onsen experiences. Anyone have places they recommend? Either tattoo friendly for the public baths or a private couples option? Also any other lodging recs?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Iki is like an hour on the jetfoil ferry from Hakata. November might or might not be warm enough for a swim. You can also take an additional 10-minute boat ride from the north part of the island to Tatsunoshima, which is uninhabited.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Nanzoin Temple in Fukuoka.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Are there any fun day trips out of Fukuoka? I'm looking to start planning my 2024 travel and I'm thinking about hitting Japan in November for a change.

Nagasaki isn’t super far, whether the northern part or around Nagasaki city itself.

Seconding Dazaifu, it also has a cool Kyushu Museum next door if you’re the museum-going type. Seconding the yatai and stuff around Tenjin.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Nagasaki you could do leaving early in the morning. They try to trick you into thinking there is a shinkansen from Hakata to Nagasaki but you need to go half way via express them change to the Shinkansen in the middle of nowhere, so the trip tagged longer than you'd think. Kumamoto is less than an hour away by Tsubame. In Fukuoka itself I recommend Ohori Park. There is an art museum and Japanese garden adjacent to the park that are quite nice. I do not recommend the Teamlab installation near the stadium, it's super small and disappointing compared to the museums in Tokyo.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Not terribly interested in Fukuoka for its own sake, but I do want to hit the sumo tournament for a day or two, so that means I'll be flying out there for at least a few days. So at this point I'm trying to understand whether I want to plan anything else while I'm based out of there.

I guess a fun day trip is really subjective so it's probably not a super valid question, but just collecting data points this far out.

Itoshima is great for a day trip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh yeah the weather should be nice for Ohori Park, forgot about that. That’s a good spot.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
I did a day trip from Fukuoka to Kumamoto in the morning and Kagoshima in the afternoon that I thought was pretty fun. Kumamoto castle isn’t super far from the station and you can meet Kumamon! Kagoshima has ferris wheel next to the station that gives you an amazing view of the city, bay, and volcano. Plus you can eat Kagoshima kurobuta, which is the best pork I’ve ever had.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

aqu posted:

Kagoshima kurobuta
:hai:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

your mom lol

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer.

I'm going to Japan October 21-29. I went in 2017 and 2018 and got the JR Pass both times since we went to Kyoto and enjoyed the convenience / price savings. This trip, we're going to Tokyo, then Osaka, and back. It seems like it'd make sense to get the 7 day JR Pass now before the price increase. However, here's the thing I'm not clear on. I know the changes include adding a surcharge on the Shinkansen. If I buy the pass now at the cheaper price, will I have to pay the surcharge starting in October? I'm thinking if I do it might not be as great a deal even if I avoid the price increase. Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The surcharge is only for taking the Nozomi or Mizuho. Make sure you preorder the pass as the prices is supposed to go up Oct 1st.