Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Arist posted:

You can literally watch him swim away

Ok they must've patched that in because I remember starring at his floating body and going "drat, Drake just iced an innocent wotking class joe and he's supposed to be a hero?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There was something in 3 where they’re leading to this idea that Nathan has been needlessly putting people he cares about in danger for his own thrills and that he should quit before he gets his friends killed but they got cold feet about it or something

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thundercracker posted:

Ok they must've patched that in because I remember starring at his floating body and going "drat, Drake just iced an innocent wotking class joe and he's supposed to be a hero?"

Nah it's always been there

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Steve Yun posted:

There was something in 3 where they’re leading to this idea that Nathan has been needlessly putting people he cares about in danger for his own thrills and that he should quit before he gets his friends killed but they got cold feet about it or something

this is funny because the third modern TR game did the same thing and also never really followed up on it

I played the first three UC games back-to-back and much like Mission impossible or the Fast & Furious family I remember the setpieces but absolutely nothing of the plot

Drake crashing in the desert and narrowly surviving a slow death of exposure and dehydration? Amazing. Drake escaping a collapsing train? Incredible. Drake and Sully barfighting a bunch of guys? Charming. The name or just a vague physical description of even one of the villain or what they were trying to do and where? No idea whatsoever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The third game has the weakest villain

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All I know is that enemies in Uncharted are not bullet sponges, an unarmored non-magical enemy will die to a pistol headshot or burst of rifle fire at medium range.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

veni veni veni posted:

The "Ludonarrrative Dissonance" (such a bad term, yuck) criticism of uncharted is actually an accidental compliment. In uncharted you just do the same things you did in every other game in 2007, but it was written well enough that what you are doing managed to actually bother people.

separating the wheat from the chaff. ND stays winning

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

Thinking about the TLOU2 discourse and just wanting to sum up a few feelings about it. (Might be rambling - not so good at sticking to paths of thought)

The game can be bleak, yes, but as a reflection of the world in which the characters live. It is a bleak existence with patches of clutched joy. No one is under the impression that things can go back to how they were before the outbreak so they just get on with it. That kind of mentality is a grind and one that wears you down (think a lot of what is going on right now for those impoverished people who cannot afford heating or rent or food in countries that are the wealthiest in the world) and that feeling you get from playing the game reminds you of a lot of what is going on now. It is tough. We play games to have fun and escape from that looming bill.

Nathan drake does not need to care about rent, Call of Duty does not need to care about that car payment you might miss that prevents you from getting to work and thus never being able to make car payments again and spiralling into oblivion. You arguably kill far more people in both of those games and so blithely than in TLOU2. The difference is the oppression of the atmosphere the game is cultivating.

Now I also definitely do not think that TLOU2 is 100% misery from start to finish because it most certainly is not. Yes, it is heavy in so many places and those heavy places are ones that could easily affect people I mentioned in the group above (who are existing as best as they can). The parallels can be hard. However I feel it also has some incredibly beautiful moments in it that rival any other video game.

One of the greatest moments of bonding between a parent and a child. It shows the true capability for love that a parent could have and how humans can care deeply for each other even in a post apocalypse.

It also shows burgeoning romance and how a simple bit of pop music can connect two people clearly trying to sift through their feelings for each other, while hiding their own secrets.

A bittersweet revelation where we find that our characters were reconnecting despite everything that happened - that there is still forgiveness and understanding even when all these terrible events occur. That the compassion can return.

These both are the first things I think of when someone says TLOU2. The first especially. I am not saying it is not a difficult game to get through because in this current era we live it is a deliberately angry and negative game. It is doing it for a reason.

It goes on a little too long and I also feel that was for a good reason too. You the game player want it to be over, you want to tell the main character 'stoooooopppp! This is fruitless and pointless and you will lose everything' and the answer is, they already did. They lost everything that day she discovered the truth about her rescue, it just has been catching up with her all this time, much like Joel's took years to catch up with him. She did not realise and needed to be shown and it was horrible the way they did it, but the claws of revenge and anger dig differently into the soul than the roots of joy and love. Anger and revenge are weeds and they poison and she has is blinded by that poisoned love for her lost father.

I played TLOU1 and TLOU2 back to back with no gap. I am aware this may colour my perception way more than other people's but I also played it in 2021 - so not too long ago. I was not part of the discourse leading up to the release and I did not get involved with leaks or anything like that so there was no expectations at all.

A pandemic limiting human interaction, a series of governments doing nothing for the neediest people, a wage stagnation leading to most people having to choose between heating and rent or eating; we are almost in our own poverty apocalypse. It is tough to derive entertainment from something that hits so close to the kinds of bleak feelings many of us are dealing with. When I played both as one story it felt like a natural continuation - I had no moment to pause and wait for ten years trying to figure out how the story would go. It made a huge difference on the reception I had for it.

I will never play it, or the story from TLOU again though. That experience, my frame of mind, the way I absorbed it was a one time thing. Much like how I saw There Will Be Blood. I am never replicating it and I am never intending to. I have no idea how to make a TLOU3 that lives up to 1 and 2, but I did not know how to make a TLOU2 to live up to 1 and they did that so I am leaving it to the professionals.

goated post. thank you

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

goated post. thank you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

He fell 5 stories face first into an inch of water. He's dead or will cling on for a few years bankrupting his family with his healthcare costs before succumbing to his injuries or just despair.

one of the devs used to talk at conferences about the bespoke swimming animation he added for that guard

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

All I know is that enemies in Uncharted are not bullet sponges, an unarmored non-magical enemy will die to a pistol headshot or burst of rifle fire at medium range.

Welcome home, poster.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I have yelled naughty words more in the first two levels of Nioh 2 than my entire Elden Ring playthrough, I might be quite bad!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Did the Remnant 2 high five wall glitch get patched? I have hit the temple key not spawn bug and I have no desire to restart my campaign. I also don’t have engineer unlocked so I can’t do that wall glitch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Calidus posted:

Did the Remnant 2 high five wall glitch get patched? I have hit the temple key not spawn bug and I have no desire to restart my campaign. I also don’t have engineer unlocked so I can’t do that wall glitch.

Which biome is this? I quit playing a few weeks ago and as far as I could tell a locked door was the only way to progress and my game broke. I just gave up. It was in the fantasy forest looking biome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo Remnant 2 panned out to be so loving mid. I got kind of pumped at all of the glowing reviews and testimonials so I bought it and it made a great first impression, but I felt like very soon after that I had the same issue with it as every other Souls knockoff. Just boring to explore and mediocre combat encounters. I dunno if I will ever finish it.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Which biome is this? I quit playing a few weeks ago and as far as I could tell a locked door was the only way to progress and my game broke. I just gave up. It was in the fantasy forest looking biome.

Yep that’s the one, yaesha

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

veni veni veni posted:

Imo Remnant 2 panned out to be so loving mid. I got kind of pumped at all of the glowing reviews and testimonials so I bought it and it made a great first impression, but I felt like very soon after that I had the same issue with it as every other Souls knockoff. Just boring to explore and mediocre combat encounters. I dunno if I will ever finish it.

That's what you get for cheating on BG3

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

That's what you get for cheating on BG3

Tbf I haven’t touched remnant since I met BG3

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Fifteen of Many posted:

I have yelled naughty words more in the first two levels of Nioh 2 than my entire Elden Ring playthrough, I might be quite bad!

It's okay, the game actually gets easier as you progress past the very beginning and unlock more abilities and skills and level your character up. Keep at it!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I was close to gettin it but it really seemed built around co-op. Im oddly looking forward to Lies of P? Gotta see what P is up to.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I was close to gettin it but it really seemed built around co-op.

I've played it solo for about 25 hours so far on the second hardest mode and it hasn't been too punishing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

That was more or less my experience with Remnant 1. Neat at first but I never felt much of an urge to return.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I find Remnant 2 enjoyable minus this stupid bug. It’s not GotY candidate but it scratches an itch. It has respectable gun play and there’s just aren’t many pve shooters any more.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Man Everspace 2 is slick. If you like space combat married with rpg systems this seems like a no brainer, definitely hitting all the right buttons for me.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

AcidCat posted:

Man Everspace 2 is slick. If you like space combat married with rpg systems this seems like a no brainer, definitely hitting all the right buttons for me.

I really liked the first one, I heard this one is not really a rogue-lite, is it more of an open world?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Not a rogue lite or like thankfully imo. I guess as open a world as a space game can reasonably be, you travel between locations, a quick loading screen between, so far each area seems reasonably large with opportunities to explore a bit, or youll come across unknown locations for side missions or just looting & seeing whats there.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I was close to gettin it but it really seemed built around co-op. Im oddly looking forward to Lies of P? Gotta see what P is up to.

P is gon' give it to ya

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I’ve played the first Remnant with friends for about 5 hours and I can’t stress just how boring the levels were. I guess, having played a few Souls-adjacent games, this is the biggest failure of the vast majority of them, including the decent ones like Nioh 2 or The Surge 2.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Felt the exact same way about the first one and I can't say the level design in 2 is much of an improvement. Maybe marginally.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Generated level design will never be as good as hand crafted for sure. I loved Remnant but I agree that the level design was its biggest flaw imo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Still plugging away at Trails of Cold Steel. In chapter 4 (of 6 or 7 it seems like?). The game is a very good comfort food rpg from japan. Breezy, easy, a little bland, but lots of little things for people to like. It's written with care and the localisation feels like some actual effort went into it. I've been playing it in Japanese but some peeps in the rpg thread said the English va was very good so I tried it out for a bit but idk. Felt a bit generic. Definitely not a bad dub at all, but idk. Octopath 2 has simply set a new bar for English va in an rpg from Japan. drat, really brought those characters to life

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fridge corn posted:

I've been playing it in Japanese but some peeps in the rpg thread said the English va was very good so I tried it out for a bit but idk. Felt a bit generic.

Try it again a bit later when actual plot happens imho

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Try it again a bit later when actual plot happens imho

Fair enough, will give it a shot. My only other concern is that ppl were also saying that the dub kinda takes a noticeable dip in quality in the last two games, and I feel I've gotten on well enough with this one so far that I probably will be playing them eventually... that being the case I feel it might be weird to play the first two games in English and then switch back to Japanese for the last two if it really is kinda bad?

Idk, the other thing really is that the quality of the dub doesn't matter too much to me (unless it's like extremely super bad of course) and I like to play a game in whichever language I feel is most appropriate for that game in particular. When I played Persona 4 I played in Japanese, obviously, cuz the game takes place in Japan. The characters are Japanese. When I played Octopath 2 after that I started playing in Japanese but it didn't quite feel right cuz the world and everything wasn't characteristically Japanese and felt maybe more European than anything so I switched to English and that was a good move cuz the English dub in that game is excellent.

When I played Live A Live I switched back and forth for each scenario. Wild West was in English of course. Edo Period and Near Future in Japanese, etc.

Trails of Cold Steel just feels like Japanese is the more appropriate language track for the game setting/premise etc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Have you played the other Trails games? Some nerd told me I needed to play the Trails in the Sky series first. I own all 4 Cold Steel games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GreenNight posted:

Have you played the other Trails games? Some nerd told me I needed to play the Trails in the Sky series first. I own all 4 Cold Steel games.

You do not need to do this

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

This is my first ever Trails game. I decided I'm not bothering with the Trails in the Sky games cuz they're not available on PS anyway. Still debating whether to play the Crossbell games but from what I understand I have up to the end of Cold Steel 2 before I have to decide on that???

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yea I have Trails from Zero which I havent played either.

I played the first Sky game on Steam.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

More complete answer: the other Trails games take place in different areas of the same continent with different casts. The Sky games don't end up contributing a lot to the story of Cold Steel until Cold Steel 4, and even then you can glean pretty much everything from context. The Crossbell games are a bit different. For one, they take place concurrently with Cold Steel 1 and 2, so the stuff going on in them will get referenced a lot more, but even then it doesn't start being Important until Cold Steel 3, which I played before playing the Crossbell games and understood just fine. If you want to play the Crossbell duology, go nuts, I'd recommend playing them between Cold Steel 2 and 3, but you don't have to.

I haven't played the Sky games yet, but I have heard the first one is very dated in comparison to a lot of the others.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Ok so basically (since I own them who cares)

Cold Steel 1
Cold Steel 2
Trails From Zero
Trails to Azure
Cold Steel 3
Cold Steel 4

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not much difference between the Sky and Crossbell games gameplay wise so I don't think it's any more dated than those.