Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
*mentions the pets*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

mycophobia posted:

*mentions the pets*
I vote "kill the animals".

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
No killing animals on SOTN.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

mycophobia posted:

*mentions the pets*

please don't be disrespectful about playstation pets

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I accidentally stepped on a Tamagotchi once :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

absolutely anything posted:

please don't be disrespectful about playstation pets

the invizimals speedrunning community will be up in arms

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bremen posted:

It should be the goal of all speedrunners to make Summon Salt videos obsolete as soon as possible.

I mean, he did end that Mario kart 64 video with a bit about how no record should ever be considered the end, just "part of the ride" or some poo poo

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
Anyone looking for a weekend speedrun marathon to check out, Licenseathon 2023 just started with Reservoir Dogs.

Channel: https://twitch.tv/licenseathon
Schedule: https://oengus.io/marathon/licen23/schedule

I'll be on in two hours with G-SAVIOUR (early PS2 Gundam game) and again late tomorrow morning with Star Trek DS9 The Fallen.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://youtu.be/TBj_CkoK0Nc

Oats finally did it, and by a big margin

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

emdash posted:

https://youtu.be/TBj_CkoK0Nc

Oats finally did it, and by a big margin

Good for him. I used to have his stream in the background most evenings but eventually there was a bit too much negativity for me. He certainly put in the effort to get the WR.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

RTA in Japan summer 2023 is on now if anyone feels like watching:

https://horaro.org/rtaij/rtaijs2023

https://twitch.tv/rtainjapan

Some years ago there were restreams with english commentary on Speedgaming, but I don't know if they do that anymore?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Frame Flame Fatales started yesterday. Just noticed because the yt uploads started, and now I am annoyed that I missed the cooking mini block.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
There's also another ESA marathon right now.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Hungry Squirrel posted:

There's also another ESA marathon right now.

ESA is the one that did the Harry Potter block and declared trans rights messages on donations wouldn't be read because they were too "political", right? It makes me wonder if running alongside Flame Fatales might not be coincidence.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i forgot all about flame fatales and now i see i missed a cook serve delicious run so time to go find that vod

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i forgot all about flame fatales and now i see i missed a cook serve delicious run so time to go find that vod

They just uploaded it to youtube a few minutes ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

VictualSquid posted:

Frame Flame Fatales started yesterday. Just noticed because the yt uploads started, and now I am annoyed that I missed the cooking mini block.

Sorry usually I'm pretty good about announcing FF, but I forgot

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Bremen posted:

ESA is the one that did the Harry Potter block and declared trans rights messages on donations wouldn't be read because they were too "political", right? It makes me wonder if running alongside Flame Fatales might not be coincidence.
Yup, right around the launch of Hogwarts Legacy which is pretty unambiguous. I think it’s still their policy. They banned Punchy for bullshit reasons, too. Good to know Flame Fatales is happening though, that’ll be worth watching.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 15, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i was feeling so bad for kat the first half of that re4r run was going so badly but it managed to come together and she still came in 5min under estimate

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The problem with Fatales events is that they're still quite US centric, meaning it's basically always off during EU daytime.

That said, there's a FFX run starting around evening saturday, which should be interesting since the estimate is 3h 45 minutes - and I'm guessing the CSR in the title means CutSceneRemover or something to that effect. I guess they got that tech working now, since I remember speculating about it earlier.

RTA in Japan is running FFVI right now and first thing I see is the Demon chocobo ... brings back memories. Memes are still going strong.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bremen posted:

It makes me wonder if running alongside Flame Fatales might not be coincidence.

Benelux Speedrunner Gathering is a pretty established thing and I really doubt the entire dutch/belgium speedrunning community is out to get FF.

e: The Lone Fungus run in FF seems fun, that's such a nice game to play (if you don't venture into the challenge rooms) and great to see different categories. Even playing it casually you could tell that the mushroom you can create and then pogo off would enable so many speedrun tricks.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 15, 2023

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah FFX has a reliable cutscene remover now, which makes the run a lot more manageable lol. There's also a pretty cool newish skip that bypasses the entire Operation Mi'hen section, and in turn completely shifts the early game routing since you don't have to fight Sinspawn Gui anymore.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I watched a little of RTA In Japan this morning and caught a 4-way SM64 70 star race and it was awesome. Two players with 47 times with the winner getting a very low 47 time. SM64 is very cool and I never get tired of watching it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Bremen posted:

It makes me wonder if running alongside Flame Fatales might not be coincidence.

If they were trying to crush GDQ they'd put actual ESA over it lol. I don't know a lot about BSG, but it being a live venue event they likely tried to book something that:
Landed in Summer
Avoided ESA
Was not obscenely expensive

It's also a specific localized event seeing as the org that runs it is well, based around Benelux. It'd be weird to try and use that to conflict with GDQ, lmao. I don't even like how ESA is run (largely due to what happened with Punchy), and I think this is a dumb accusation

I think that the Fatales Marathons being smaller and only running during US Daytime hours mean that other groups, especially international ones, are going to schedule over it if the alternatives are too expensive/difficult.

And taking a quick look at Charts, this Fatales may be struggling, but I've heard almost no one talking about the event. Feels like there wasn't really any conversation, and I don't know if previous Fatales events got a lot of press.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I haven't seen FF get much press during any of the past events either tbf

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
What happened with ESA and Punchy? I know ESA sucks rear end and Punchy is a good dude, but I missed that particular pastebin.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
From memory, Punchy goes to the organization as a marathon is being set up, goes "hey you, uh, you got a little Nazi on your schedule, right there", points the guy out. Nazi eats a six-month ban, Punchy eats a permanent ESA ban because of "drama".

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Studio posted:

If they were trying to crush GDQ they'd put actual ESA over it lol. I don't know a lot about BSG, but it being a live venue event they likely tried to book something that:
Landed in Summer
Avoided ESA
Was not obscenely expensive

It's also a specific localized event seeing as the org that runs it is well, based around Benelux. It'd be weird to try and use that to conflict with GDQ, lmao. I don't even like how ESA is run (largely due to what happened with Punchy), and I think this is a dumb accusation

I think that the Fatales Marathons being smaller and only running during US Daytime hours mean that other groups, especially international ones, are going to schedule over it if the alternatives are too expensive/difficult.

And taking a quick look at Charts, this Fatales may be struggling, but I've heard almost no one talking about the event. Feels like there wasn't really any conversation, and I don't know if previous Fatales events got a lot of press.

To be clear, I didn't mean it as an accusation - I'm not expert in how either event is run. When I said "makes me wonder" I was being honest.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

claw game handjob posted:

From memory, Punchy goes to the organization as a marathon is being set up, goes "hey you, uh, you got a little Nazi on your schedule, right there", points the guy out. Nazi eats a six-month ban, Punchy eats a permanent ESA ban because of "drama".

Literal, not little- as in, a registered and open member of their country's nazi-equivalent political party. And if I recall, a third runner is the one who pointed it out, but Punchy went "hey yeah you're right, is anyone else concerned about this, this should probably not be allowed" and that's when ESA gave the literal fascist party member a temp ban that could be ended early for 'good behavior' while the ones reporting it were permabanned.

E: between this and the Harry Potter bullshit, gently caress the ESA

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Nazi punching simulator is on rn on FF.

Also, play in a dark room so you can save time in the dark segments.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I can't remember if I've ever asked this before, but how does the street fighter betting thing work

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I just skip ESA because what little information filters to me of their decisions is suspect

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 17, 2023

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Watching the VOD for the Pokemon Blue run, and while I do appreciate a good bit, I do think there's a point where the bit has to pause so they can actually explain what's going on. Like, they were so deep in the bit that when the game genuinely crashed and had to be restarted, the couch still thought it was part of the bit because nothing had actually been explained for what they were doing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they did announce frost fatales at the end, but i hope earning significantly less than average this year won't cause any problems for them in the future, keeping FF going or getting cancelled. they seemed to do alright with most incentives being met, though, so whoever was estimating those did a good job compensating

site fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 20, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

site posted:

they did announce frost fatales at the end, but i hope earning significantly less than average this year won't cause any problems for them in the future, keeping FF going or getting cancelled. they seemed to do alright with most incentives being met, though, so whoever was estimating those did a good job compensating

They talked a lot in their recap about how much people were able to learn about running events during this FF (including how to set incentives), so I think it serves the same purpose for the female members of the GDQ team as it does for female speed runners

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

site posted:

$110k is still an extremely solid sum. It's below the past three events from 2021/2022, but still above the original ones from 2020.

Worth remembering that AGDQ and SDGQ 2023 were also both down significantly from the 2021/2022 editions too. So FF seems to just just be part of that same trend.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, everything is down across the board; PUWP had a rough go this year too.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Folks ain't got much money right now :shrug:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah that was most of our conclusion too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I also feel like as time goes on, people just don't know these events are happening. If you only watch GDQ for marathon content, It just clogs your twitch following lists for 95% of the year. Also if you just care about marathons, following their twitter is useless because it is so noisy the rest of the year most people unfollow or mute it, and then miss any notifications.

They desperately need an email list you can sign up for that is ONLY marathon related info. Maybe a few different lists. One for watchers that would fairly quiet, one for people interested in attending, volunteering, or submitting. It is needed especially now with the state or social media at the moment.