Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Dr Ian says his video script about it is up to 25 pages. He's been mostly defensive of LTT on Twitter.

Looking forward to 30 minutes of 'automated testing is hard, yo'

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691413954751295490?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Forgive my ignorance. Who is this Dr. Ian Cutress person?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

c355n4 posted:

Forgive my ignorance. Who is this Dr. Ian Cutress person?

used to be a writer (senior leadership?) for Anandtech, but has struck out on his own. His YouTube channel is TechTechPotato

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, who the gently caress is Dr. Ian, and why should anyone give a poo poo about what they think?

gradenko_2000 posted:

used to be a writer (senior leadership?) for Anandtech, but has struck out on his own. His YouTube channel is TechTechPotato

Oh. Second part of my question still stands though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lister posted:

Simply assuming someone would lie as a reason not to ask them doesn't make any sense

it seems assuming linus would lie was a safe bet

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't agree with all of Lister's points, but this is fair in my opinion:

Lister posted:

I do dispute that their own people are dissatisfied with the lack of quality or the rate they have to work. Being asked "what would you change about your job?" and answering "we could use more time on videos" isn't a smoking gun. We don't know the full answers those people even gave in that video. Maybe they said "everything's pretty great here, but if I had to give an answer, we could use more time on videos." Maybe they really did mean that they feel overworked and it's leading to problems. A journalist's job is to find out which of those possibilities is true instead of just believing you know. That's due diligence that GN did not do. Instead they cut clips from incomplete interviews they didn't give and assigned a particular meaning to them in a new context that the original answers had nothing to do with.

Even if we think we know what the LMG employees meant by what they said, we don't have a full understanding of each one's stance on this subject, so it feels kinda weird to see their words taken by by Steve to make a point that those people may not fully agree with. I think it would be fine if he just left it as "based on what they're saying, it appears that their video schedule is rushed," but he sorta attributed that opinion to the employees in order to lend credence to his own assertion. It didn't feel like an appropriate thing to do in the video.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Even if we think we know what the LMG employees meant by what they said, we don't have a full understanding of each one's stance on this subject, so it feels kinda weird to see their words taken by by Steve to make a point that those people may not fully agree with. I think it would be fine if he just left it as "based on what they're saying, it appears that their video schedule is rushed," but he sorta attributed that opinion to the employees in order to lend credence to his own assertion. It didn't feel like an appropriate thing to do in the video.

Linus himself said that at least one employee wanted to retest the Billet water block on a 3090 TI, but wasn't allowed to because it would take more time, cost more money, and delay that video. That clip is in the original GN video.

So... there's precedent here for GN to say this.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

grack posted:

Linus himself said that at least one employee wanted to retest the Billet water block on a 3090 TI, but wasn't allowed to because it would take more time, cost more money, and delay that video. That clip is in the original GN video.

So... there's precedent here for GN to say this.

And the fact that Linus didn't want to spend $500 getting the proper video card, which in turn has cost him over 4000 floatplane subscribers now.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

When you have 6 people , including Linus himself, bring up the same critique of 'too many videos!', and one person actually saying "Very rarely am I particularly proud of a video I've worked on", and another saying a benefit of producing less content is that it would be nice to 'look in the rearview mirror and see how things went', arguing that they each needed to be personally interviewed by Steve himself to discern their actual meaning is just ridiculous.

As others have said, that is already the PR version.

The allegation is not that employees are necessarily being treated poorly, or unhappy with their job as a whole. They might love it, but the only implication Steve - and again, a generous framing imo - is making is that they are making mistakes (cough) by rushing to produce content after content. Showing a series of interview snippets where some of the most prominent on-air personalities of LMG say one of their critiques is that they produce too much content is the most obvious thing you could possibly add to the video to support your argument. Again, it's not drawing the conclusion that LMG is too focused on volume based solely on their interview segments, the substantial evidence that they're too focused on content is based on, you know, all the loving content with all the mistakes. This is just saying "Look, even their employees are concerned about the pace". You don't need to even imply they're phrasing it as a serious complaint for it to be relevant.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 16, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Archaic posted:

And the fact that Linus didn't want to spend $500 getting the proper video card, which in turn has cost him over 4000 floatplane subscribers now.

Hey, maybe losing money is something that Linus will actually learn from.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechT...1&utm_content=1

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

grack posted:

Hey, maybe losing money is something that Linus will actually learn from.

Lmao, he's going to throw another temper tantrum.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

A real honest takedown of LTT’s quality issues would have spent twenty minutes discussing nobody in the editing process knowing the difference between a pad and a tampon.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Branch Nvidian posted:

Reminder that he called his ex-wife "wifeysauce."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQx-EHMPk0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmQOO4WLI4

:whitewater:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Lmao, he's going to throw another temper tantrum.

If he goes scorched earth and shuts down/sunsets Floatplane he's gonna have a buuuunch of other creators at his throat.

L1T, HUB, and Bitwit (eugh) all have Floatplane channels. The DankPods/Garbage Time guy also streams regularly there, successfully at that (though he's also a dogecoin millionaire so the impact of Floatplane going tits up wouldn't be as high for him)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jesus christ

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Apparently LTT is sending emails to all the auction winners from the night that waterblock was auctioned off asking people what they purchased.

Somebody posted a redacted version of the email they got on the Reddit thread. Apparently LTT is sending these emails out because they lost their master list and need it for "tax purposes".

They didn't even loving know who wound up with that prototype block

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15s8ew8/lmg_is_contacting_auction_participants_they_lost/

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

"7 days ago
Aw man, informational video but the poor Uncle Rogers accent seems little half assed lol, could've been better with more effort "

Oh my sweet summer child.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I do love the gambit they are pulling. “We either say we’re at risk of tax fraud or admit that we sold a third party prototype without their permission, lied about it, and are now trying to find it.”

I suppose the best option is the best of both world’s. They went to find out who they sold it to because they wanted to get it back/return it because they were called out publicly. They realized that they didn’t keep any records of who they took money from, and now have that much larger tax issue on their hands.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
BL has said LTT told them they can likely get the prototype back. But I also believe LTT is messy enough not to get their tax poo poo for the convention in order. It's just the timing of the emails getting sent out to winners is wild.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kazinsal posted:

If he goes scorched earth and shuts down/sunsets Floatplane he's gonna have a buuuunch of other creators at his throat.

L1T, HUB, and Bitwit (eugh) all have Floatplane channels. The DankPods/Garbage Time guy also streams regularly there, successfully at that (though he's also a dogecoin millionaire so the impact of Floatplane going tits up wouldn't be as high for him)

Nah, he's just gonna cry about how people are being mean to him and how none of this is his fault / its all fake anyways / etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

Apparently LTT is sending emails to all the auction winners from the night that waterblock was auctioned off asking people what they purchased.

Somebody posted a redacted version of the email they got on the Reddit thread. Apparently LTT is sending these emails out because they lost their master list and need it for "tax purposes".

They didn't even loving know who wound up with that prototype block

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15s8ew8/lmg_is_contacting_auction_participants_they_lost/

This does not give me confidence that LTT will be able to recover the water block, as they had claimed.

Billet Labs was right to want to take the money

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Inept posted:

jesus christ

that blew up in 2018, big "gamer moment"

appalled but sadly not all that surprised :\

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Funny that the whole "he didnt do his journalistic best practices" is all around some poo poo GN only inserted to give LMG the biggest out, served on a silver platter, known to the youtube tech space.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Branch Nvidian posted:

Reminder that he called his ex-wife "wifeysauce."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQx-EHMPk0g

"So I know you guys must be feeling blindsided too right now"

Jesus Christ, how loving deep in the parasocial relationship do you have to be to be "blindsided" by two people who don't know you at all separating?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

When you have 6 people , including Linus himself, bring up the same critique of 'too many videos!', and one person actually saying "Very rarely am I particularly proud of a video I've worked on", and another saying a benefit of producing less content is that it would be nice to 'look in the rearview mirror and see how things went', arguing that they each needed to be personally interviewed by Steve himself to discern their actual meaning is just ridiculous.

As others have said, that is already the PR version.

The allegation is not that employees are necessarily being treated poorly, or unhappy with their job as a whole. They might love it, but the only implication Steve - and again, a generous framing imo - is making is that they are making mistakes (cough) by rushing to produce content after content. Showing a series of interview snippets where some of the most prominent on-air personalities of LMG say one of their critiques is that they produce too much content is the most obvious thing you could possibly add to the video to support your argument. Again, it's not drawing the conclusion that LMG is too focused on volume based solely on their interview segments, the substantial evidence that they're too focused on content is based on, you know, all the loving content with all the mistakes. This is just saying "Look, even their employees are concerned about the pace". You don't need to even imply they're phrasing it as a serious complaint for it to be relevant.

Yeah, the idea that somehow using publicly-aired complaints in support of a hypothesis is committing some type of faux pas, seems like an attempt to grasp at straws to salvage their image.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

If GN had contacted Linus for comment, we wouldn't have been able to see Linus outright lie about already taking care of Billet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

If GN had contacted Linus for comment, we wouldn't have been able to see Linus outright lie about already taking care of Billet.
A sharper way to phrase that is that Linus' lying about Billet is exactly why Steve should NOT have contacted Linus for comment. You want to give Linus the benefit of the doubt despite all the evidence in GN's video?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

still lmaoing that had steve not made the video it's incredibly likely that LTT would have just used the product wrong, poo poo on it for their own incompetence, stole their gpu and sold their product and IP, and just... that's that. get hosed.

please allow us to review your products.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

still lmaoing that had steve not made the video it's incredibly likely that LTT would have just used the product wrong, poo poo on it for their own incompetence, stole their gpu and sold their product and IP, and just... that's that. get hosed.

please allow us to review your products.

growing pains

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

LTT not uploading on main channel today.

Bet they post apology tomorrow, let writers and testers have the time they need / not upload if video isn’t ready.

Lets see how dumb linus is.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

spunkshui posted:

Bet they post apology tomorrow, let writers and testers have the time they need / not upload if video isn’t ready.

Video Title: Will losing $20,000+ a month in revenue smarten me up!?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I'm still trying to wrap my head around that RTX3090TI. How the... what kind of... who made... why did it immediately end up in your own inventory to use as you please???? :aaaaa:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Ultraklystron posted:

Video Title: Will losing $20,000+ a month in revenue smarten me up!?

***results inconclusive: not enough time to test

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

spunkshui posted:

Yeah, with how many subs they've lost, and how this whole thing has blown up on the forums/sub, they kind of have to reverse course on this. The radio silence from Linus' personal forums account is smart, as is not releasing a video today. Whether it's tomorrow or on the Wan show Friday, I'd imagine an apology video is almost definitely in the works.

I'm curious how much influence folks like Luke will be able to exert on Linus, and therefore how much he ends up changing positions, if at all. Moreso, I'm curious to see if they end up actually improving their production pipeline, or any hypothetical apology ends up being straight lip service.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Philosophically speaking: Is Linus an artifact of the old wild west of early youtube, where it was better to be first than to be right?

'Cuz I didn't really notoce it until recently, but drat if I don't particularly care about the first review anymore.

lol

and upon further consideration: lmao

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 16, 2023

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Mooktastical posted:

Yeah, with how many subs they've lost, and how this whole thing has blown up on the forums/sub, they kind of have to reverse course on this. The radio silence from Linus' personal forums account is smart, as is not releasing a video today. Whether it's tomorrow or on the Wan show Friday, I'd imagine an apology video is almost definitely in the works.

I'm curious how much influence folks like Luke will be able to exert on Linus, and therefore how much he ends up changing positions, if at all. Moreso, I'm curious to see if they end up actually improving their production pipeline, or any hypothetical apology ends up being straight lip service.

I wonder if the LMG CEO will say anything publicly or do anything privately. Or is he like the current Twitter/X CEO.

what a stupid loving name. it felt so dumb writing X

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Whitest Russian posted:

I wonder if the LMG CEO will say anything publicly or do anything privately. Or is he like the current Twitter/X CEO.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

When someone posted the x.com/buildzoid1 tweet earlier in this thread I genuinely thought it was a bot posting a shady link:

x.com/buildzoid1/status/1691251880960147456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Whitest Russian posted:

Uh, the second thing, definitely. The parallels to Musk have to be loving terrifying to everybody over there that's capable of seeing that the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

Also, yeah, just call it Twitter. Musk just straight-up torching some of the greatest brand recognition in modern history has to be one of his dumbest moves post-buyout, which is quite the bar to clear