Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The virus is endemic and that means it's safe now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

here's some capitalism with a picture
Requiring ink to scan a document—yet another insult from the printer industry

arstechnica.com posted:

How much ink does an all-in-one printer need in order to fax a document? Or to scan one to your computer? The obvious answer is "none." But if you own certain printers from companies like HP and Canon, you won't be able to use core features unless the device has ink—even if those features have nothing to do with ink. 

Unfortunately, all-in-one printers arbitrarily demanding ink to perform non-printing functions isn't a new frustration. And that's despite some companies having printers that can scan without ink. Clearly, scanning or faxing without requiring an ink cartridge would improve users' experience—and they've illustrated that through class-action lawsuits. But this hasn't stopped printer makers from fighting to keep the nettlesome practice.

## No ink, no scan

Since mid-2022, HP has been fighting a class-action lawsuit alleging that certain all-in-one printer models won't scan or fax without ink and that HP doesn't properly disclose this to shoppers. On January 13, 2023, the complaint was dismissed but allowed to be amended (you can view the amended complaint here: [PDF]), and on August 10, a Northern District of California judge dismissed HP's motion to dismiss the amended complaint [PDF].

HP Envy 6455e and HP Deskjet 2655 purchasers Gary Freund and Wayne McMath filed the complaint, which states that HP printers are designed to enter an error state when low or out of ink, preventing usage until the installment of a new ink cartridge. The plaintiffs are also peeved that HP marketing and advertising doesn't clearly disclose this, the complaint says. The complaint also notes that an HP support agent has said that HP printers are "designed in such a way that with the empty cartridge or without the cartridge the printer will not function."

"HP’s All-in-One Printers do not work as advertised. Ink is not a necessary component to scan or to fax a document," the complaint reads.

It adds:

quote:

Tying the scan or fax capabilities of the All-In-One Printers to ink contained in the devices offers no benefit and only serves to disadvantage and harm consumers financially. However, tying the scan or fax capabilities of the All-In-One Printers to ink contained in the devices does, however [sic], serve to benefit HP.

Anyone who's owned an inkjet printer knows how expensive ink can be. That suggests a reason to push people to buy ink through tactics like blocking core features if no ink is present and reportedly selling printers below cost. Ink-buying programs have also become cash cows. HP in 2021, for example, said its Instant Ink subscription business was worth $500 million, per CRN. In its Q2 2023 financial report, HP named Instant Ink a key growth area.

The complaint against HP says:

quote:

Indeed, HP designs its All-in-One printer products so they will not work without ink. Yet, HP does not disclose this fact to consumers. … Even were it technically possible to scan a document without all ink cartridges present, HP does not disclose any 'workaround'  to consumers in any of the product packaging nor in any of HP’s advertising and marketing materials regarding its multi-function devices.

The complaint seeks monetary damages as well as the end of HP's "misleading advertising and marketing campaign" and for HP to "engage in a corrective campaign to inform consumers of the misleading advertising."

Here are all the HP printer models listed in the complaint:
  • HP Deskjet 2755e
  • HP DeskJet 3755
  • HP DeskJet 4155e
  • HP ENVY 6055e
  • HP ENVY 6075
  • HP ENVY 6455
  • HP ENVY Pro 6475
  • HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 8025
  • HP DeskJet 2622
  • HP DeskJet 2655

HP declined to comment on this story.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

gradenko_2000 posted:

so you admit that people are continuing to contract and die and be debilitated by COVID under the Biden administration?

Of course! Nobody is claiming there are no COVID cases or that there are zero deaths. It’s probably never going to go away and always be a risk, especially for people with comorbidity issues (I am one).

The issue is and always has been:

“people are locked in their house for nearly two years, stores are empty, no vaccine, hey guys inject bleach, don’t close any schools”

versus

“you can work and travel, schools back open, stores have goods, there are effective vaccines and treatments.”

Also I can buy toilet paper and meat any time I like now.

81523_5
Aug 16, 2023
yet another massive gently caress you as yet another trillion dollar company freefalls into bankruptcy

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Name one Trump policy that helped with the pandemic you stupid commies.

*30 minutes later*

Thanks to Operation Warp Speed, covid cases fell quickly under Biden as the vaccine rolled out

Hold on, maybe injecting bleach and eating horse dewormer actually works you just didn’t give it a fair shake.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You're now accidentally supporting the Republican position that mass death was preferable to shut downs in the early days of the pandemic since the supply chain disruption interrupted the supply of treats and the hoarding was a consequence of people preparing for extended shut downs.

E: and that staying home was annoying and borrrriing

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Aug 16, 2023

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I would like to know what two years I was locked in my house

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

You're now accidentally supporting the Republican position that mass death was preferable to shut downs in the early days of the pandemic since the supply chain disruption interrupted the supply of treats and the hoarding was a consequence of people preparing for extended shut downs.

E: and that staying home was annoying and borrrriing

not an accident lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pandemic deaths under Biden aren't his fault because you can't magically stop a virus, yes even the deaths better policy could have avoided.

Everything bad about the pandemic under Trump, even essential policies that were implemented all over the world like shutdowns and quarantine which I hated because they were boring, were 100% Trump's fault because he didn't magically stop the virus instead.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

(because the dems took away your sick time)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Of course! Nobody is claiming there are no COVID cases or that there are zero deaths. It’s probably never going to go away and always be a risk, especially for people with comorbidity issues (I am one).

The issue is and always has been:

“people are locked in their house for nearly two years, stores are empty, no vaccine, hey guys inject bleach, don’t close any schools”

versus

“you can work and travel, schools back open, stores have goods, there are effective vaccines and treatments.”

Also I can buy toilet paper and meat any time I like now.

what defending the democractic party does to a person

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
btw east palestine is still hosed up lol

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this guy loving rules

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I didn’t know Bidens press secretary had a forums account

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Going to work, in person, without a mask and without ventilation, means you're liable to catch covid

Going to school, in person, without a mask and without ventilation, means you're liable to catch covid

Traveling on a plane, or taking public transportation, without a mask, means you're liable to catch covid

The Biden administration is not implementing policies that would allow economic life to return safely, and instead is simply adopting the line that mitigations are too restrictive and/or expensive to implement, and that it's better to simply have people take it on the chin.

This is not fundamentally different from the Republican position.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

nexous posted:

I have type 1 Diabetes, which is an immunosuppressive disease and a major major comorbidity for COVID meaning if I get it I probably die, so I could not risk my going out at all or coming into contact with -anyone- pre-vaccine. My doctors were VERY worried.

I am the dude in your neighborhood who is the loving first on line for those vaccines like I’m trying to get Taylor Swift tickets. COVID under Trump was like being in prison for me. Under Biden I’m back to a normal life.

EDIT: My kids school has 2500 students. By law they have to report COVID cases to us. We get an email- someone in the school has it, we are contacting people who may have been exposed. There were 3 or 4 cases this year with no fatalities.

Nieuw Amsterdam has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Aug 16, 2023

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Weren't the vaccines first available before Biden took power? I worked in healthcare and got mine then

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Blockade posted:

Weren't the vaccines first available before Biden took power? I worked in healthcare and got mine then

Yeah, healthcare workers and other essential people got them first, then there was a wider rollout.

The oldest and sickest (chronic condition) people in my household were eligible first.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I have type 1 Diabetes, which is an immunosuppressive disease and a major major comorbidity for COVID meaning if I get it I probably die, so I could not risk my going out at all or coming into contact with -anyone- pre-vaccine. My doctors were VERY worried.

I am the dude in your neighborhood who is the loving first on line for those vaccines like I’m trying to get Taylor Swift tickets. COVID under Trump was like being in prison for me. Under Biden I’m back to a normal life.

EDIT: My kids school has 2500 students. By law they have to report COVID cases to us. We get an email- someone in the school has it, we are contacting people who may have been exposed. There were 3 or 4 cases this year with no fatalities.

lmfao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

World War Mammories posted:

this guy loving rules

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm prepared to talk poo poo about there being an illegitimate Supreme Court. I'm even prepared to vote them out of office.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Blockade posted:

yes

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

??? have we lived in different universes for the last 3.5 years?

trump:
vaccines were initially rolled out under trump
libs masked under trump
we had monoclonal antibodies
remote learning
wfh
free money

Biden:
no masks
no remote learning
return to the office
no monoclonal antibodies
vaccines for strains of Covid that have already disappeared

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Blockade posted:

The very first covid vaccine used outside of clinical trials, in the USA, was administered on Dec 14, 2020, which was after the elections, but before the inauguration

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

As a worker, i was back to a normal life under trump

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

nexous posted:

yes

trump:
libs masked under trump
remote learning
wfh
free money

Biden:
no masks
no remote learning
return to the office
no monoclonal antibodies

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/08/04/white-house-urges-federal-workers-return-office-this-fall/

While there's a COVID surge and new variant.

Also they messed with the CDC map to make only the most severe outbreaks come out of green.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...tand-their-risk

But also, we do not, gotta hand it to Trump for the vaccine. He approved some money because someone was like "sign here to fund the vaccine and this prepared distribution package from the CDC" in between whatever hijinks he was doing that day.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Aug 16, 2023

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

nexous posted:

yes

trump:
libs masked under trump
remote learning
wfh
free money

Biden:
no masks
no remote learning
return to the office
no monoclonal antibodies

Yes we have.

Also where are you getting access to monoclonal antibodies, unless you are very rich or very connected? Does Walgreens carry that?

I can tell you as a parent that remote learning was a poo poo show in the gently caress factory, it took massive effort to catch up afterwards.

Everyone in my community was great about masking for the most part until very recently, very blue area.

Still see it on mass transit and in tight/crowded spaces. I will probably always mask on airplanes.

can we get back to capitalist pictures now?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Everyone in my community was great about masking for the most part until very recently, very blue area.

Do you see this as something that's a threat to your health and well-being?

If yes, do you see this threat as something that Biden is responsible for?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'm willing to think about voting for biden, I'll just need a direct deposit of $20,600 to my bank account and any actual policy achievements that help me or people I love

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lmao covid is gonna kill you but you won't even mask up

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

a poo poo show in the gently caress factory

Are you doing a bit

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
open biden ftw

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm sorry but you're going to have to make further arguments in the form of .png per the thread title, this is a rule we unfortunately inherited from the thread rulers of the past but we must honor and respect them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do you see this as something that's a threat to your health and well-being?

If yes, do you see this threat as something that Biden is responsible for?

No.

My area has extremely high levels of vaccine uptake. People here took the pandemic very seriously.

I would probably feel differently if I lived somewhere where most people were vaccine skeptics or refused precautionary measures.

EDIT: Sorry, didn’t see mod warning until I hit post, will stick to pictures from now on.

Nieuw Amsterdam has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Aug 16, 2023

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
how could trump do this

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lol the vaccines don't stop spread dumbass

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

The very first covid vaccine used outside of clinical trials, in the USA, was administered on Dec 14, 2020, which was after the elections, but before the inauguration

Yet again another triumph of the best (my) birthday.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

StealthArcher posted:

Yet again another triumph of the best (my) birthday.

wtf you're not even three years old??

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

No.

My area has extremely high levels of vaccine uptake. People here took the pandemic very seriously.

I would probably feel differently if I lived somewhere where most people were vaccine skeptics or refused precautionary measures.

https://www.bmj.com/content/376/bmj.o298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

nexous posted:

Yeah that's such a fundamentally untrue statement lol, poo poo was open in record time. You can find that damned Welcome Back Applebee's commercial that really highlighted just how quickly covid was speeding towards being over. Things were opening up midway through 2020 in most places

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVsDNryMwCs