Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Eight-Six posted:

me, reading the bones: ahhhh.... mmmmmm.... uuuuuhh.... t...h...r....ee... ma.....na...........

.......draw two cards?

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ok but what does Pot of Greed do?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Strong Sauce posted:

Only posting Rares/Mythics

WOE

Holy poo poo that rules

MonsieurChoc posted:

Magic is also pretty popular in Japan. It got multiple mangas, including one that's jsut a romantic comedy between teenagers playing during Urza's Saga.
the name is great for that one. Destroy all Humankind. They Can't Be Regenerated.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

just finished up a cool thing i can't talk about cause of the possibility of pinkertons

and the person that told us that said, "lol, you don't want the pinkertons coming after you"

and that was the most surreal poo poo lmaoooo

wotc is aware that pinkertons is a meme and they're ironically nodding to it

they're also aware of the impact a certain transphobic british children's author has had on an entire genre of fantasy

So you're either playlisting Strixhaven 2 or there's going to be a Harry Potter secret lair

One of those things is great news and I hope the set is as fun to draft as the original, the other can gently caress right off

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

I know I should let people enjoy things, but I hate staring across the board and having to look at anything anime related. Magic has such good art, and to bastardize it is a crime.

Magic has always had a diversity of styles and that's always been its most consistent strength.

It's certainly something to both lump together another variety of styles into one collective lump of "anime" and it's something worse to just hate it all because of a weird bias.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the anime variants this set are giving us the best look blood moon has ever had, so i'm happy

Silhouette posted:

So you're either playlisting Strixhaven 2 or there's going to be a Harry Potter secret lair

One of those things is great news and I hope the set is as fun to draft as the original, the other can gently caress right off

a return to arcavios is already confirmed so it's probably that, especially since that poster said they playtested the ravnica murder mystery set a few months back

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

flatluigi posted:

the anime variants this set are giving us the best look blood moon has ever had, so i'm happy

Powerful Castlevania/Bloodstained vibes, love it.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Esuthio is one of my favorite illustrators but a lot of their work is hard sci fi/techwear so if they ever did a secret lair with that kind of stuff I would buy on the spot

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Silhouette posted:

instead of Strixhaven 2 it will be an entire harry potter universes beyond set like the lotr set

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Would Blood Moon be so bad if every colour had their own moon?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

they're also aware of the impact a certain transphobic british children's author has had on an entire genre of fantasy

I'd like to think WotC would lean toward the wise choice of staying away from anything directly Harry Potter related (or at least really on the nose).

WotC seems to care about optics quite a bit as far as identity politics go (though it's really weird they don't seem to care so much about optics when it comes to their business practices).

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Would Blood Moon be so bad if every colour had their own moon?

Red is absolutely the safest color to have something like Blood Moon (extremely limited ways to protect it, worst single color at exploiting a one-sided board state and just winning the game on the following turn) and it's still something that is straight up an automatic win a decent percentage of the time it comes down. I would not want to live in a world with even Harvest Moon, forget Tidal Moon, Dawnlight Moon, or Moonless Dark. Taxing non-red decks to add another color to play such a potent F-U card helps keep it from just being a go-to sideboard plan in every deck that can doesn't need to run 95% non-basic lands until 3+ color decks just leave the metagame. It's good to have a control on multi-color decks and powerful lands getting too out of hand, but it shouldn't just be free or it'd warp every format it's available.

Framboise posted:

I'd like to think WotC would lean toward the wise choice of staying away from anything directly Harry Potter related (or at least really on the nose).

WotC seems to care about optics quite a bit as far as identity politics go (though it's really weird they don't seem to care so much about optics when it comes to their business practices).

Hogwart's Legacy selling some 15-million + copies through all that and several active boycotts have likely showed WotC that, gently caress politics, people will throw their morals to the wayside and eat that poo poo up like piggies to a trough. Throw that in fact that Strixhaven is so blatantly prime for a Universes Beyond Harry Potter and the only thing that's hard to believe about Strixhaven 2 doing it is that Strixhaven 1 didn't do it first since they already had done Godzilla stuff with Ikora nearly a year prior.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 16, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I 100% trust in Maro to nip any Harry Potter poo poo in the bud.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just want STX2 to be an all timer draft format like the original, poo poo was so goddamn fun

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Wizards will release Harry Potter sets and secret lairs ad nauseam if they think they will make money.

Although I am sure many individuals within the company do care about social issues, as a corporate entity they don't give a poo poo. Its just optics.

Same for Disney, Blizzard etc etc.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Framboise posted:

That’s rainbow capitalism, baby

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
If someone were to ask me directly if Harry Potter was dead to me and why, I would feel comfortable telling a whole group of folks exactly why I won't give a dime to that awful woman.
And if that question was asked to others, I wouldn't be surprised to hear similar answers from literally every person asked.

And if the person wanted to know what elements of fantasy had a Harry Potter stink on them, I imagine it would be to avoid getting that stink on their own fantasy elements.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah but money

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

don't worry everyone, their take on Harry Potter will excise all of the transphobic, anti-Semitic, and racist elements while remaining true to the source material we all know and love

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mr. Locke posted:

I would not want to live in a world with even Harvest Moon, forget Tidal Moon, Dawnlight Moon, or Moonless Dark.

Good names but I think they call it Story of Seasons now

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Harry potter UB will make shitloads of money. The stage play has been running for like 7 years. I'd guess most people don't know much about rowling's love of being a terf if they just love the books/movies

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
:siren::havlat:BLOOD MOON IS BANNED:havlat::siren:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1691515167111000064?s=20
Get hosed.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things doesn't belong, one of these things is not like the other can you tell what it is by the end of this song?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

All of this sucks rear end.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

:siren::havlat:BLOOD MOON IS BANNED:havlat::siren:

Lmao congratulations hoot

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

kalel posted:

yeah but money

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ilmucche posted:

lol harsh

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fajita Queen posted:

All of this sucks rear end.

Banning Necro and maybe Land Tax is probably fine, though I'd rather they let us play with them first just to see how bad it is (or if it's bad at all).

The other three are pretty laughable. I don't see how Sneak Attack is that much more oppressive than Creativity in historic, Blood Moon is only a problem in bo1 (or if you don't know how to build or use a sideboard in bo3), and Spreading Seas lmao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

What the gently caress do I do now?
There are no more moontains to climb.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPlrxjyseWI

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
People who still follow the rules:

Does Copy Enchantment (on the Bonus Sheet for Eldraine) still allow you to put Auras on to things that can't be targeted? I would assume it would but idk if they changed up the rules since OG Ravnica in relation to that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

You still have modern and legacy to conquer

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

People who still follow the rules:

Does Copy Enchantment (on the Bonus Sheet for Eldraine) still allow you to put Auras on to things that can't be targeted? I would assume it would but idk if they changed up the rules since OG Ravnica in relation to that.

It still works like you thought

Copy Enchantment posted:

If you choose an Aura, you also choose a legal permanent for the Copy Enchantment copy of it to enchant. Copy Enchantment doesn’t target that permanent, however, so it can enter the battlefield attached to an untargetable creature.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Despite JKR being an abhorrent human being on almost every level the HP stuff still has an ironclad grasp on a huge number of people. My company used to have an office on 5th Avenue in NYC right down the street from the Harry Potter official store and that place would be PACKED every day of the week, with lines out the door if there was some special event or product launch. It will take several generations for it to go away, if it ever does.

There is no world in which Hasbro does not 100% go for a Harry Potter UB tie-in as long as the profits are equal to or greater than the cost of the licensing fees. They would send the Pinkertons to execute Maro right in his home if he even dared to publicly make a stink about it or try to get between them and their precious quarterly short-term gains for shareholders.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Sneak attack wouldn't even create a t1 modern deck at this point lmao.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm fairly certain Necropotence has also been powercrept.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I don't, cause corporate can and will overrule him on this.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm fairly certain Necropotence has also been powercrept.

By what?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

It still works like you thought

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The only licensed wizards left I want to see in Magic are the ones from Unseen Academy.