Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It will certainly feel weird in 25-30 years when a younger filmmaker sets a period piece thriller during the 2020 covid lockdowns and is giving interviews about the historical research they had to do to make it accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Boat Dracula was fun enough. Probably nothing I'll think about in a month but decent goop and a fun setting go a long way for me. I'll agree with CJ2 that it's probably my last favourite Ovredal so far but that's still a decently high bar.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

I know that this is the only thing I ever talk about, but I just had a thought about the Senritsu Kaiki File series. Is it the best use of the series format of any horror movie series? Other horror movie series tend to start with an idea, and then future sequels try to do that idea again but bigger or in a new way or just the same again. But every Senritsu Kaiki entry adds more to the world, continues the story of our characters, slowly draws the shape of the horror, without ever over explaining or undercutting a previous entry.
I threw the idea ‘horror film franchises are bad’ at myself the other day, and Senritsu Kaiki was the top objection my mind threw back.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Opopanax posted:

I think a lot of Horror is set in the 80s/90s so they don't have to explain why people don't have cell phones with them at all times

I feel like the key to cellphones is just to create stories where the cellphones can't help. Like, if a werewolf is hunting you now and you're an hour's drive from anywhere, you can call for help but you still need to come up with a solution for the current predicament.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mover posted:

We need MORE horror set in the 80s, but, like, the 1480s

Really, I'm quite flexible on those first two digits.

Or even tack on a B.C.E. I'd gently caress with some Bronze Age horror.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Give me the loving 1880s and 1890s. These are obviously the best era to set horror in.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Give me the loving 1880s and 1890s. These are obviously the best era to set horror in.

Deathtrolley

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Cult horror set during the Plague Of Justinian with lots of body borror

Caveman encounters the first vampires, alternatively neanderthals encounter early humanity who are presented as nearly psychopathic ruthless competitors

12-13th century academic is drawn obsessively to research the legend of Prester John, only to discover he is not an earthly ruler but an alien reality that becomes more real the more is written about it, Mouth of Madness style

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hrmm weird memory but anyone remember a horror movie from the possibly the 1970s and before anything bad or gross happened the screen flashed red to warn you. I remember someone had their hand cut off?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mover posted:

Cult horror set during the Plague Of Justinian with lots of body borror

Caveman encounters the first vampires, alternatively neanderthals encounter early humanity who are presented as nearly psychopathic ruthless competitors

12-13th century academic is drawn obsessively to research the legend of Prester John, only to discover he is not an earthly ruler but an alien reality that becomes more real the more is written about it, Mouth of Madness style

All of this directly into my eyeballs, gently caress

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just turn Between Two Fires into a movie already. Best horror novel in a long time and it takes place during the black plague.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mover posted:

Pretty sure these were done in Primal.

https://youtu.be/0x7Bmz4l38E

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I feel like there's a lot of easy low budget horror movie ideas about people trapped in a dust storm in the 19302.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mover posted:

You're describing the vampires from Peter Watts to some extent.

God I love it when hard science folk just get drunk and come up with some nonsense.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/philtippett/status/1691535728935628801?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ
Oooh I didn’t know it was his team behind it. Even better!

dorium fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 16, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not excited about digital gore though

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's a newish horror game called Killer Frequency which is very good, but it's set in the 80s for no particular reason and yet half the plot only works if the majority of people are carrying cell phones. It irked me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People don’t realize you can do 80’s aesthetic stuff in 2023. You can have neon lights and dirty grimy sets with sweet synth music without having to be locked in a decade

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

that is a stacked list of "oh cool they're involved!?" people

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Darthemed posted:

I threw the idea ‘horror film franchises are bad’ at myself the other day, and Senritsu Kaiki was the top objection my mind threw back.
Yes, but also imo most of a nightmare on Elm Street is either good or fun bad

I will defend Freddy's Dead against as many hordes as it takes

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Crescent Wrench posted:

:wal: Oh they're balanced all right.

:stat: You really think so?

:wal: ...because they're both bad!

Usually they drop the ball hard on the wraparound. The last film's wraparound sucked so hard it blew.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

Every movie set in the 80s and 90s always has nothing but bangers playing on the radio, on people’s headphones etc. It’s a small detail but kinda drives me mad.

Something that irked me greatly was that although it wasn't set in the 1980s like the comics were, The Sandman didn't have a brief scene with Standard White Jesus playing at the convention disco. It was a brilliant piece of subtle humour and characterisation. Timbuk3 were briefly famous in the late 80s for their club hit The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades), but in addition to its lyrics about death Standard White Jesus is a much slower song with low energy. That the convention guests are raving to it is a tell that they're just pretending to be normal - someone said there should be a disco at the convention because that's what normal people do, and they should play Timbuk3 because Timbuk3 are popular right now, but they don't understand why these things are done. Rose being completely oblivious to the fact is hilarious if you know the song, too. It would be like trying to breakdance to Bauhaus.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

CelticPredator posted:

People don’t realize you can do 80’s aesthetic stuff in 2023. You can have neon lights and dirty grimy sets with sweet synth music without having to be locked in a decade

More movies just need to do the It Follows thing and embrace period ambiguity.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Megasabin posted:

Just turn Between Two Fires into a movie already. Best horror novel in a long time and it takes place during the black plague.

I think it might work better in a limited series format, the novel is already pretty episodic and a film would most likely cut some segments to tell a more straightforward story.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hollismason posted:

Hrmm weird memory but anyone remember a horror movie from the possibly the 1970s and before anything bad or gross happened the screen flashed red to warn you. I remember someone had their hand cut off?

No but I did watch Cemetery High which features a "gore gong" sound effect before any murder scenes (there are not many) and a "hooter horn" sound effect before any nudity (there's a lot)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That image does not look like Toxie. It looks like some sort of weird superhero with a staff. That's loving boring.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh cool Netflix now has The Pope's Exorcist. I'll probably wait on it until October though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Crescent Wrench posted:

I think the rose-colored glasses effect about period music is even worse when it's some dipshit kid's t-shirt or posters in their bedroom. You're 13 years old in 1980, dude. Some production designer put that Joy Division poster there while you were begging mom for a ride to see REO Speedwagon or Bob Seger.

The one that bothers me most is the prominent The Thing poster in Stranger Things. That movie infamously completely tanked at the box office! Nobody would have gave a poo poo about that poster!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

What was the giallo thats fairly standard (iirc) but then at the end, one of the victims comes bursting out of a closet and rips a guys dick off?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

heard u like girls posted:

What was the giallo thats fairly standard (iirc) but then at the end, one of the victims comes bursting out of a closet and rips a guys dick off?

I'm pretty sure that's Pieces! What a wild one.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The movie that absolutely wins the arms race of best tagline.

Pieces: It's Exactly What You Think It Is.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Thank you, that seems to be it. I guess it wasn't really standard at all lmao

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not long ago I watched Pieces and Don't Open 'Til Christmas very close together and Edmund Purdom should be in some kind of horror hall of fame.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Cannibal Girls had a bell sound go off as a warning. Not sure about any film using a red flash, but that does sound familiar.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The one that bothers me most is the prominent The Thing poster in Stranger Things. That movie infamously completely tanked at the box office! Nobody would have gave a poo poo about that poster!

They also show the kids watching Day of the Dead in the theater. There's no way a small local cinema would run an unrated film like that, much less let a bunch of thirteen year olds in.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Need more horror films with like, a flashing warning message and countdown ala Gaspar Noé's I Stand Alone. STOP WATCHING THIS MOVIE! YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO COMPLY. I guess most horror films don't really approach the OH GOD factor of Noé though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This is like in Gremlins and the kid in the 80s is a big fan of Robot Monster or whatever. Gimme a break.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

If anything it's more realistic nowadays for kids to have weirder, more obscure interests with how available so many things are. Perhaps 2020s period horror will have kids who are really into Columbo.

Then again we can't all be my partner's best friend who had a film history buff father. It is a running gag to gently clown on his childhood because no normal six year old has a favorite Marx Brothers movie.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
In Evil Dead, there's a hills have eyes poster in the cabin. Am I to believe the Allens were horror fans??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The movie that absolutely wins the arms race of best tagline.

Pieces: It's Exactly What You Think It Is.

I'm partial to another tagline for Pieces: You don't have to go to Texas for a chainsaw massacre!