Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

skasion posted:

It would suck to have to change the name you were born with, through no fault of your own, just because a few people don’t like it.

Not if it's Hitler!

Presumably all of her ancestors decided it was super cool, but La'an is explicitly unhappy with the reaction people have to the name, falling in love with the first person who doesn't immediately raise an eyebrow when she introduces herself.

It's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey, if someone named "Lieutenant Warcrimes" came aboard the Enterprise, La'an would be the first one lined up to armbar them into a wall and then frogmarch them directly to the brig if they ever tried to live up to their namesake.

It's pronounced Wah-ahr-crim-ehs

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

thotsky posted:

Not if it's Hitler!

Presumably all of her ancestors decided it was super cool, but La'an is explicitly unhappy with the reaction people have to the name, falling in love with the first person who doesn't immediately raise an eyebrow when she introduces herself.

It's ridiculous.

She's also a person with a fairly unhealthy relationship to pain and hardship, consistently choosing to bear the full brunt of it rather than mitigate it or share it with others, so she doesn't want to take that target off her back because she feels like she doesn't deserve to

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

MuddyFunster posted:

Because I didn't know any better. For real, my entire TNG knowledge consisted of the movies (terrible) and a few dotted episodes I was only barely paying attention to, if only to go "Hurr, not as good as Kirk and Spock" and that one insane Youtube edit where they all take LSD. I had both friends and family telling me "You like the TOS movies, try this!" And, y'know, for all the flaws (they cannot leave Wrath of Khan alone, can they?) I liked it well enough that I went "OKAY, THIS YEAR, TNG, I'LL TRY." It was adequate enough to whet my appetite for the real deal, so I'm grateful.

And now I'm trying and finding hell yes, as good as Kirk and Spock. In some ways, even better, TOS gave me a wobble here and there, it never made me burst into tears like that Lal episode. I am on a voyage of discovery!

This makes sense!

Yeah, you'll find that TNG (and everything else Picard S3 clumsily cribbed from) has done the exact same stories that they either elude to or straight-up redo in P3, but in their original form they're done much better. They didn't even try to put a new spin on it or put things in a different context. Think of P3 as a clip show by way of lazy re-enactors.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ashpanash posted:

This makes sense!

Yeah, you'll find that TNG (and everything else Picard S3 clumsily cribbed from) has done the exact same stories that they either elude to or straight-up redo in P3, but in their original form they're done much better. They didn't even try to put a new spin on it or put things in a different context. Think of P3 as a clip show by way of lazy re-enactors.

Picard Season 3 was a Rolling Stones Greatest Hits concert. They are in fact playing all the greatest hits you know and love from their career, and its got all the glam and glitz of a Stones concert, but everyone on stage is a tired old gently caress just going through the choreographed moves as best they can without breaking any bones or pulling any muscles, and everyone in the audience are all wizened boomers and Gen Xers too who know all the words to all the songs already because there's nothing new going on here. And people were just so blown away with how they played Satisfaction this time that they want encore after encore of it even as Mick Jagger is visibly melting off of his skeleton on stage.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

nine-gear crow posted:

Picard Season 3 was a Rolling Stones Greatest Hits concert. They are in fact playing all the greatest hits you know and love from their career, and its got all the glam and glitz of a Stones concert, but everyone on stage is a tired old gently caress just going through the choreographed moves as best they can without breaking any bones or pulling any muscles, and everyone in the audience are all wizened boomers and Gen Xers too who know all the words to all the songs already because there's nothing new going on here. And people were just so blown away with how they played Satisfaction this time that they want encore after encore of it even as Mick Jagger is visibly melting off of his skeleton on stage.

This sounds 1000% more badass than Picard season 3

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Actual Satan posted:

This sounds 1000% more badass than Picard season 3

Its also something I'd rather attend than any PIC rewatch party.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Bajoran who tries to incite the station against Odo in the episode where Ibudan kills his own clone is so overtly sinister, it always blindsides me that he doesn't have anything to do with the actual plot to set Odo up for murder, and he just vanishes at the end.

He kind of reminds me of Antony Starr.

edit: or Ray Wise.

I looked up the episode on Memory Alpha, and it seems like initially, the plan was to have the character be a recurring antagonist, guess that's why he gets so much play in one episode.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 15, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That episode is a mess lol. Probably one of the most nonsensical Trek murder mysteries which is saying something.

Also lol that it attempts to make us skeptical of those who mistrust and fear Odo for his weirdness, while later seasons go on to show that not only is Odo a collaborator and self-appointed cop who anyone sane should mistrust and fear, but also that he’s an ambassador from an entire culture of psychotic self-appointed cops.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will say that I rolled my eyes when they released the initial character info for SNW and they had a Noonien-Singh in the cast. Thankfully they have handled that well.
I just realized I don't think I've heard anyone on the show refer to her as Lt. Noonien-Singh wiht any regularity, they all just call her La'an. Seems like the the writers didn't think all the way through introducing a character with a really long name.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Archer calls everybody by first name too. Everybody on NX-01 just calls the guy Travis, also. Same with Hoshi for that matter

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Still remembering that season when they were so over budget that they couldn't afford Odo's shapeshift special effect anymore, so they had to come up with a story reason for him to lose his ability. :allears:

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Ménage à Troi; I sighed at the title alone, then it becomes very clear from the pre-titles that it's a dual pronged assault of things I do not like; Ferengi and Troi's mum. I love Majel Barrett, but so far, I've found Lwaxana horrible. The odds are against it, but maybe I can be won over? No. A mostly very annoying episode, but I'll focus on the positives: Patrick Stewart hamming it up like mad towards the end. The lovely final scenes where Picard gives Wesley a promotion and we see the kid in his uniform for the first time, grinning like a champ.

Transfigurations is one my brother has been asking after in a way that doesn't make me trust him. "Oh, have you seen that yet?" he'll say, smirking. So, I'm watching it. I'm fine with it. I'm thinking "What's the big deal here? This is adequate, it's well acted, I'm intrigued by the mystery." and so it goes on. Then I hit a certain point in the story and I go "OH, HE'S SPACE JESUS." and I start laughing. And I'm grinning throughout the ending, enjoying its cheesy earnestness and his wacky glowing gimp suit final form. Highly silly, but also very charming and Mark LaMura is a standout guest star.

It is very funny that it takes the might of space jesus to make Geordie stop being such a loser. For the time being at least.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

skasion posted:

That episode is a mess lol. Probably one of the most nonsensical Trek murder mysteries which is saying something.

Also lol that it attempts to make us skeptical of those who mistrust and fear Odo for his weirdness, while later seasons go on to show that not only is Odo a collaborator and self-appointed cop who anyone sane should mistrust and fear, but also that he’s an ambassador from an entire culture of psychotic self-appointed cops.

and still it gave us the banger line of "Killing your own clone is still murder!"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cross-Section posted:

and still it gave us the banger line of "Killing your own clone is still murder!"

Riker coughs uncomfortably.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I love that Bashir just accidentally grows an entire clone and then lets it run off and do its own thing at the end of the episode, absolutely no follow-up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Anyone interested in a Bluesky invite? I've got a couple of codes and I haven't even been on Twitter this month so I'm having a hard time getting rid of them.

The Treksky feed has been a pretty reliable place for Trek discussion and memes and there are tons of other feeds (think more formalized/permanent hashtags) across a million interests if you want to get away from Twitter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wouldn't mind, DM?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Done.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I love that Bashir just accidentally grows an entire clone and then lets it run off and do its own thing at the end of the episode, absolutely no follow-up.

haha I forgot I gotta add that to my list of mad scientist poo poo that Bashir does

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Power team of Doctors Franklin and Bashir cloning dead children for various war efforts.

Just don't ask them how it's helping.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Also the Bajorians respected Odo because while he was a cop he at least tried to be a fairer cop on the station than the Cardassians, so them fearing and hating him feels really out of place after watching the later seasons.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I was kind of thinking how Worf may have the worst ending in the series. Like Sisko is space Jesus. Jake probably has a successful writing career in front of him. Bashir is still a well-regarded doctor and now finally has a love interest that may pan out. O'Brien and his family get to retire to paradise. Odo gets to retire to paradise and is likely also a messianic figure within the Changeling community. Quark franchises. Kira gets the station and all of her enemies, political, personal, and religious (often all three!) are dead. Dax keeps on being Dax (ain't their first rodeo). Rom is Nagus and Leeta and him apparently live happily ever after. Nog is probably going to be the first Ferengi captain in Starfleet.

But Worf?

The love of his life is not only dead, but effectively reincarnated into someone he doesn't really like very much. He did save Jadzia's life, but at the cost of demonstrating to Starfleet that he wasn't ready to make the tough decisions that a commander has to. She died anyway a few episodes later, and now he's got nothing to show for it. Becoming ambassador should have been a great sendoff for him, but unfortunately Nemesis makes it clear that that didn't last. I guess he goes on to be successful as a Starfleet Intelligence agent, but he gets stuck dealing with Raffi's bullshit, so ehh to that.

Like we all joke about how tortured O'Brien's existence is, but it was really more like a purgatory than anything else. He passed through trial and came out the other side.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Also the Bajorians respected Odo because while he was a cop he at least tried to be a fairer cop on the station than the Cardassians, so them fearing and hating him feels really out of place after watching the later seasons.

Odo also has a whole arc about coming to terms with his complicity with the occupation and rejecting the order his people want to enforce on the galaxy, so I have very little patience for the internet leftist tough guy 'Put a bullet in Odo's head' posting. He's a cool, interesting character who confronts the worst impulses in himself and rejects them!

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 16, 2023

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
Odo being a cop during the occupation really didn’t make any sense, no matter how much they bent over backwards trying to explain it. And they bent pretty far backwards.

Fascist occupiers don’t generally tend to value and reward principles like fairness and justice. They don’t tend to trust people radically different from them. They also tend to be the sort of paranoid where someone who can shapeshift would be immediately locked away as a security threat. Or at best the Obsidian Order immediately tries to recruit him as the universes most perfect spy, or they turn him into a violent lab experiment if he doesn’t go along with it. No way do they let
him play policeman on a key strategic military facility.

I mean, you overlook it because I don’t see a better way of getting him on the station and establishing his background relationships with Kira and Quark, but it just doesn’t ring true with what we are told about the Cardassians.

Re Worf, a life stomping around the galaxy sword fighting Ferengi gangsters is his happy ending.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think it's implied in Picard that Worf was the captain of the Enterprise E, and subsequently got it blown up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
His line was something like "that was not my fault".

I'm not sure there's more to read into it than what's there. Maybe he was in command, maybe he just did something very Worf like driving the ship into a village that had turned its back on its traditional values that they had just invented a month prior while the A-crew were off duty.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Odo being a cop during the occupation really didn’t make any sense, no matter how much they bent over backwards trying to explain it. And they bent pretty far backwards.

Also, the whole 'Odo enforced the laws fairly and equally' doesn't make sense given that, you know, the laws of a colonial occupation generally aren't fair to start off with. You can't be a 'good cop' if the whole system is designed to enforce inequality. It's like trying to enforce Jim Crow laws 'equally'.

And given the Bajoran attitudes to collaborators, it's really hard to buy he'd keep his job after the Cardassian withdrawal.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I can buy the conceit that Bajorans trusted him because he visibily wasn't Cardassian and at least tried to act as an honest broker, and the contradiction of Odo trying to be a fair cop and administering Cardassian law explicitly comes in an episode where Odo has to confront the reality of what he did during the occupation, like he's literally arguing with a past version of himself and calling him out on his poo poo!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
finally made myself start enterprise for the watch through and that's probably the worst opener to a trek series yet, I already don't give a gently caress

poo poo writing poo poo plot let's send captain mc threatens a diplomat off into a tense diplomatic engagement to stick it to the vulcans and let's be sure to mention emotions about twenty times so people get the point

not to mention someone slipping erotic fanfic into the script for that fuckin' sleazy shower/quarantine/rub space goop on each other scene (good job the spores won't go anywhere non pg-13, eh)

loving poo poo and yet tomorrow I will watch more

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

No Dignity posted:

I can buy the conceit that Bajorans trusted him because he visibily wasn't Cardassian and at least tried to act as an honest broker, and the contradiction of Odo trying to be a fair cop and administering Cardassian law explicitly comes in an episode where Odo has to confront the reality of what he did during the occupation, like he's literally arguing with a past version of himself and calling him out on his poo poo!
I assume his attempts to actually enforce Cardassian law as written was greatly preferable to its usual implementation. To use the Jim Crow analogy: a lot of stuff wasn’t illegal for Black people, simply…. Unsafe.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Fascist occupiers don’t generally tend to value and reward principles like fairness and justice. They don’t tend to trust people radically different from them. They also tend to be the sort of paranoid where someone who can shapeshift would be immediately locked away as a security threat. Or at best the Obsidian Order immediately tries to recruit him as the universes most perfect spy, or they turn him into a violent lab experiment if he doesn’t go along with it. No way do they let
him play policeman on a key strategic military facility.

It's always seemed to me that Odo was basically Dukat's "exotic pet". No one else had anything like him and he could do the Cardassian neck trick on command. His mere presence as constable seemed to reduce the discontent among the rabble, even though the Bajoran workers didn't exactly fear him -- I suspect Dukat never quite wrapped his head around that one, but he knew a useful thing when he saw it. Besides, there was little enough chance of Odo himself becoming a security threat -- he genuinely believed all the law and order blather that he talked up.

So Odo was exotic enough to enhance Dukat's own mystique among other Cardassians, and practically he was very effective at keeping order on the station. What's not to like?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah gonna point out that Dukat was a "compassionate caretaker of the Bajorians" while he was leading the occupation (in his own mind) so having Odo around as a presumably fair arbiter would be something he would back. We got a bunch of pretty good episodes out of the dissonance of that situation.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I think it's implied in Picard that Worf was the captain of the Enterprise E, and subsequently got it blown up.

Maybe? But I always remember when Sisko tells Worf he'll most likely never get a command because of the time he failed a mission to save Jadzia ( I think that's what happened in the episode).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe? But I always remember when Sisko tells Worf he'll most likely never get a command because of the time he failed a mission to save Jadzia ( I think that's what happened in the episode).

Yeah, Worf made it to captain and was in command of the Enterprise-E for its final mission, all details of which, including the fate of the E itself have been classified by Starfleet as an excuse by the showrunners to let someone else tell the story of the E's final days in novel, comic or video game form. The E was also at Gamma Serpentis and was one of the ships that got hosed up by the Living Construct, and was presumably under Worf's command at the time as well because Picard was an admiral by that point and leading the Romulan evacuation from the USS Verity.

So basically Worf totaled the Enterprise-E twice in the span of 5 years, and the second time it happened it was so bad they loving black boxed it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Enterprise E helmsman: we're ready to leave drydock, sir. It's taken 18 months of repairs, but at last we're

Captain Worf: PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Enterprise E helmsman: we're ready to leave drydock, sir. It's taken 18 months of repairs, but at last we're

Captain Worf: PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED

Picard: He did what?

Janeway: Right into Phobos. Mars only has one moon now, in addition to being on fire.

Picard: :ughh:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is, uh, "The Empath" any good? Do I get anything out of watching it that I don't get from reading the plot summary on Wikipedia? I keep bouncing off it trying to watch it and I don't know if it's one of those garbage episodes that sucks or one that's really good/really important to the cannon and I should soldier through it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do you feel about theatre in the round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

FISHMANPET posted:

Is, uh, "The Empath" any good? Do I get anything out of watching it that I don't get from reading the plot summary on Wikipedia? I keep bouncing off it trying to watch it and I don't know if it's one of those garbage episodes that sucks or one that's really good/really important to the cannon and I should soldier through it.

my notes say cheesy plot but some good crew interactions later

you could probably skip it fine