Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Comparing DS9 to Torchwood feels wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CommonShore posted:

Imo doctor who is the strongest when it gives zero fucks about maintaining or creating continuity. I've said it for years and the chibnal era made me more sure of that. It's a transdimensional time travel show. Let poo poo get wild and self contradictory.

Star Trek is the franchise that's better at that version of storytelling. And when it tries to be Doctor Who by going into the holodeck, it becomes weak.

I'm positive it's an episode somewhere from the Matt Smith run where somebody is freaking out about the implications of time travel and asks something like,"What if I kill my grandfather?" and the Doctor's reaction is just,"....were you planning on killing your grandfather? :confused: Well... don't!" :allears:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Rochallor posted:

And in another story, Orr realizes a building is sentient when they feel their genitals transform into an elevator shaft, which is a sentence I did not think I would ever write.

That’s also a sentence that I did not think I would ever read.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sounds like somebody found an old Philip Martin script :gonk:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In context it's a thirty second joke, though one sadly lacking a [ding] noise indicating that the elevator has... arrived.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

imagine the muzak

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

armpit_enjoyer posted:

imagine the muzak

Way ahead of you

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

I'm positive it's an episode somewhere from the Matt Smith run where somebody is freaking out about the implications of time travel and asks something like,"What if I kill my grandfather?" and the Doctor's reaction is just,"....were you planning on killing your grandfather? :confused: Well... don't!" :allears:

The version of that exchange that always stuck in my mind was from Thin Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VOr-2K9PN4
Poor Pete :(

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Naur, I think the argument is that Torchwood is what you get when you mostly can't draw upon continuity.

Not so much that as the core conceptual underpinnings and imagery of the show, so no Doctor/no TARDIS. Without the goodwill which comes with the Doctor and the familiar trappings around the Doctor you get RTD wanting us to be very impressed with how cool Jack Harkness is, just like in the mainline show you'd get Moffatt wanting us to be very impressed with how cool River Song or Clara are.

The new show is much more caught up in convincing us of how cool the Doctor is too, a lot of the time, but at least if you are a fan of the old show you are primed to agree with that. But I can't stand any of the characters they tried to force me to think was cool, and I grew weary of the new iterations of the Doctor once I noticed how fannish the writing was.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 15, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Warthur posted:

Not so much that as the core conceptual underpinnings and imagery of the show, so no Doctor/no TARDIS. Without the goodwill which comes with the Doctor and the familiar trappings around the Doctor you get RTD wanting us to be very impressed with how cool Jack Harkness is, just like in the mainline show you'd get Moffatt wanting us to be very impressed with how cool River Song or Clara are.

The new show is much more caught up in convincing us of how cool the Doctor is too, a lot of the time, but at least if you are a fan of the old show you are primed to agree with that. But I can't stand any of the characters they tried to force me to think was cool, and I grew weary of the new iterations of the Doctor once I noticed how fannish the writing was.

This is basically my viewpoint as well. A lot of the time the revival series tends to tell us over and over again how wonderful and amazing and cool the Doctor is (or Rose, or Amy, or Clara, etc.) without actually showing us how wonderful/amazing/cool they are. It's a common failing in fiction: we're expected to believe a character is impressive because the other characters keep talking about it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The other thing I don't like about it is that it keeps making the Doctor the ultimate lynchpin the entire cosmos revolves around, which the Doctor never was in the classic series and which makes the universe seem small and lacking in wonder and mystery.

Why would the First Doctor have ever needed to leave Gallifrey to explore the universe if he is ultimately the only person of significance in the universe? Given how the new series talks about him sometimes he could take in all the wonder and majesty to be seen in the cosmos with one glance in a mirror.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Warthur posted:

you'd get Moffatt wanting us to be very impressed with how cool River Song or Clara are.
River Song and Clara were cool. :colbert:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Even if I agreed, it would bug me how much the show loudly wanted me to agree.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

I liked the line when Bill was freaking out in Victorian London about how anything she does could change the future and 12 responded 'So, just like any other day in your life'.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Just watched The Horror of Fang Rock and The Invisible Enemy with the better half. Tom Baker really was blessed with a solid, solid run of stone cold bangers, wasn't he? Makes me dread that in three seasons JNT takes over and it's all going to go to poo poo for a long while

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Just watched The Horror of Fang Rock and The Invisible Enemy with the better half. Tom Baker really was blessed with a solid, solid run of stone cold bangers, wasn't he? Makes me dread that in three seasons JNT takes over and it's all going to go to poo poo for a long while

To be fair, his run kind of goes to poo poo a season before JNT takes over, as that's the season that was peak "Tom does whatever the gently caress he wants", coupled with the industrial action that eventually killed Shada. Though I do have a bit of affection for that season nonetheless (and City of Death is an undisputed classic).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

To be fair, his run kind of goes to poo poo a season before JNT takes over, as that's the season that was peak "Tom does whatever the gently caress he wants", coupled with the industrial action that eventually killed Shada. Though I do have a bit of affection for that season nonetheless (and City of Death is an undisputed classic).

I remember as a kid when watching that when Adric showed up was the moment I went, "Oh, they've hit the point where things go downhill." The term "jump the shark" hadn't been coined yet, but I was a savvy enough television watcher to pick up on how certain changes in a show's direction signaled the good times were over.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Honestly I really like the last Tom Baker/first JNT season. It's damning with faint praise to say that's the best that Adric ever works, but excepted The Leisure Hive and Meglos, it's a really strong run of episodes.

I've said this before, but if you remove Colin Baker's frankly awful first season, the graph of Doctor Who quality is pretty unchanged from mid 4th ~ early 7th, with just a slight sagging in the middle there.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Honestly I really like the last Tom Baker/first JNT season. It's damning with faint praise to say that's the best that Adric ever works, but excepted The Leisure Hive and Meglos, it's a really strong run of episodes.
Adric = plucky young maths genius.
Zoe = plucky young maths genius.

Why does Adric get such hate? Been a while since I saw stuff with him in it and I've not looked at that period in detail but what I have seen is inoffensive (what I have seen is The Visitation and Earthshock, mind).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Adric was the wrong dynamic for the 5th Doctor and especially that overly crowded TARDIS. Where Zoe's intelligence worked as both a challenge and an aid to the Doctor being the smartest person the room, she also had a good dynamic with him as well as Jamie being roughly her age and also highly protective of her.

Where Zoe came across as very competent but perhaps too self-aware of her own intelligence and not entirely cognizant of the danger she could be put in, Adric came across as pouty, irritating and it felt like the Doctor very genuinely just did not like him at all which raised questions as to why he was around at all, and made his death come across almost as more of a relief than a tragedy.

As noted before, Adric actually works REALLY well as a 4th Doctor Companion, shockingly well in fact. Davison as a younger, "nicer" Doctor had the disadvantage of making Adric seem more like a bratty little brother, but with Tom you got the sense of a teacher or perhaps distant uncle who was intimidating enough that Adric sometimes kicking off and doing something unbelievably stupid felt kind of believable as a kicking back against the dominant presence that 4 was in any scene (and Romana as the girlfriend who is irritated at the idiot kid hanging around screwing with the vibes was great too).

I sometimes wonder how a reduced 5 crew would have worked out. Sarah Sutton I believe was supposed to leave with the regeneration but Davison requested she stay on, and she felt tacked on into the follow-up scripts as a result. Tegan was loving great, nobody gently caress with Tegan. Adric clashed as a character with Davison's portrayal of the Doctor. So in an ideal world for me it would have been 5/Tegan as a proto-10/Donna squabbling their way across the universe, but I think it could have worked with 5/Tegan/Nyssa as well.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Adric was the wrong dynamic for the 5th Doctor and especially that overly crowded TARDIS. Where Zoe's intelligence worked as both a challenge and an aid to the Doctor being the smartest person the room, she also had a good dynamic with him as well as Jamie being roughly her age and also highly protective of her.

Where Zoe came across as very competent but perhaps too self-aware of her own intelligence and not entirely cognizant of the danger she could be put in, Adric came across as pouty, irritating and it felt like the Doctor very genuinely just did not like him at all which raised questions as to why he was around at all, and made his death come across almost as more of a relief than a tragedy.

As noted before, Adric actually works REALLY well as a 4th Doctor Companion, shockingly well in fact. Davison as a younger, "nicer" Doctor had the disadvantage of making Adric seem more like a bratty little brother, but with Tom you got the sense of a teacher or perhaps distant uncle who was intimidating enough that Adric sometimes kicking off and doing something unbelievably stupid felt kind of believable as a kicking back against the dominant presence that 4 was in any scene (and Romana as the girlfriend who is irritated at the idiot kid hanging around screwing with the vibes was great too).

I sometimes wonder how a reduced 5 crew would have worked out. Sarah Sutton I believe was supposed to leave with the regeneration but Davison requested she stay on, and she felt tacked on into the follow-up scripts as a result. Tegan was loving great, nobody gently caress with Tegan. Adric clashed as a character with Davison's portrayal of the Doctor. So in an ideal world for me it would have been 5/Tegan as a proto-10/Donna squabbling their way across the universe, but I think it could have worked with 5/Tegan/Nyssa as well.

In addition to all this, Matthew Waterhouse in his younger years as Adric just wasn't a very good actor. When he was opposite the force of nature that was Tom Baker, that was fine, because Tom (even as stressed out and ill as he was in his last season) was able to act enough for both of them. When he was around Davison's gentler Doctor, plus the brassy and sassy Tegan, he just didn't have the acting chops to hold his own or to come across as anything other than a snotty twerp.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Thanks. I'm working on watching through the whole classic series in order and one thing which does stand out is how a change in Doctor demands a change in companion dynamics. Like, the least successful Troughton companion lineup was Ben/Polly/Jamie, because whilst Hartnell often needed three companions (early on because his Doctor was often more aloof, later on because he was often too ill to contribute), Troughton really didn't.

Just got to Pertwee so a one companion at a time norm is going to kick in for a good long while, so it'll be interesting to see how the shift to more companions from Baker to Davison pans out when you watch in order.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

Right, River Song was cool at one point, but rapidly became one of the most obnoxious characters on the show.

And it’s not really even Kingston’s fault, it’s 100% Moffat huffing his own farts because he fell in love with a pet character. There’s absolutely nothing fun about watching a character who’s constantly smug about being ten steps ahead of the audience and the rest of the characters. It becomes a total chore to watch those episodes when characters are written that way and Moffat loving loved doing it.

She was so one-note and uninteresting because of it and it continues to baffle me how she became so beloved.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I'm interested in what people thought of Turlough. I liked the idea of having a companion whose loyalty was questionable but, hmm...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When I was a kid and he first showed up I remember finding him oddly unremarkable, like he didn't really seem to bring anything to the table. Rewatching as an adult I dug that he started as a guy in a pretty hosed up situation who was way in over his head, and enjoyed the Doctor's frequent :thunk: reactions to his thinly veiled bullshit... but also his acting wasn't the greatest and it wasn't until they ended that Black Guardian storyline that he seemed to settle in more of an established part of the TARDIS crew who people might actually like... so of course he promptly wraps up in a rather bizarre story where apparently we were all supposed to know already he was some alien prince? Also the story was kind of overshadowed in people's memories by Nicola Bryant debuting in a two piece bikini.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

...there was a story in that episode?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rochallor posted:

State of Decay is good, solid, classic Who and Warrior's Gate is one of the most enjoyably weird stories they've done. I've got a lot of nostalgia for that period because it's some of the first stuff I saw (I began with Nightmare on Eden during one of ABC's reruns in the 90s) but even putting that aside there's some great stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Woah woah woah

armpit_enjoyer posted:

The Invisible Enemy has never previously been described as a "stone cold banger"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Invisible Enemy has some great model work at least.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

State of Decay is good, solid, classic Who and Warrior's Gate is one of the most enjoyably weird stories they've done. I've got a lot of nostalgia for that period because it's some of the first stuff I saw (I began with Nightmare on Eden during one of ABC's reruns in the 90s) but even putting that aside there's some great stuff.

Bidmead's tenure as script editor results in some really wild poo poo considering his "let's make it more sciency" approach includes a cactus clone man and a giant vampire.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Invisible Enemy has some great model work at least.

...and introduced K9 too. Surely every Dr Who fan has a soft spot for K9.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1691729005735481376

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 16, 2023

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
This is getting a bit silly but I can't help but love it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Remember when Michelle Ryan seemed like she might be a big star?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

In all seriousness, I don't! I think I just must not have been keyed in with whatever she was working on, I don't think I ever saw her before Planet of the Dead, and nothing against her personally but I hated that story and her character and was glad she never showed up again.

Jackie Tyler and 6 hanging out shouldn't make any goddamn sense but I don't care, that sounds like a blast :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

No, they tried a few times (her appearance in Who felt like a BBC mandate, honestly), but she’s not a good actress.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Woah woah woah

The Invisible Enemy has never previously been described as a "stone cold banger"

It has an immobile shrimp for the main villain and a good third of the story is just Leela and K9 bonding over their mutual love for violence. If that's not a good time then I don't know what is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's weird, I never really think about it when I look back on that period of Who, but I remember loving it when I first saw it, always being surprised by how much I enjoy it on rewatches, it introduces K9, it's got some truly bonkers ideas like the a large part of the story being a literal clone of the Doctor running around inside the original Doctor's body... it's good!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

No, they tried a few times (her appearance in Who felt like a BBC mandate, honestly), but she’s not a good actress.

I agree, but then at one point she was also in the US Bionic Woman series and had a guest appearance on Jekyl that everyone seemed excited about.

Though now that I've typed that I'm not sure who everyone was. Maybe just my mum because she liked Eastenders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

still slowly rewatching season 5 ahead of the Ringerverse episode on the Matt Smith years. The Beast Below with maybe one or two more passes on the script could've been a real banger. As it stands the opening is great (Doctor: "Remember Amy, we never get involved. Also Doctor: *immediately gets involved when he sees the crying kid*), and the ending is great, but the middle is pretty mushy.

Was this one the first episode they shot? I know they held off on filming Eleventh Hour so the cast had time to let their chemistry set, but I don't know which episodes were filmed ahead of it.