Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jeff Fatwood posted:

It's a special kind of whiplash reading Madison's account on things and then watching Linus cry about the water block situation

it's really crossed some kind of line from "wow the company seems to be riven with incompetence and willful negligence" over to being actively enraging

like, it's not [entirely] something to point and laugh at anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

kliras posted:

a/b tested youtube thumbnail with serious linus face and some variation of vague "we need to talk" as a title
i will say, i could never have guessed the insane format of the actual video, especially the ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTpTMl8kFY

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Profanity posted:

Holy christ can you people even attempt to sound like you're not reading from a teleprompter? That whole video is so forced and unnatural.

Yeah the "CEO" (of all people) had the most egregious teleprompter eyes among the crew... and I'm just 10mins in.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jeff Fatwood posted:

It's a special kind of whiplash reading Madison's account on things and then watching Linus cry about the water block situation

:agreed:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Disharmony posted:

Yeah the "CEO" (of all people) had the most egregious teleprompter eyes among the crew... and I'm just 10mins in.

To be fair he probably has zero experience as an on screen personality. But it looks like they mounted his teleprompter on a pole 10' above the camera.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The Vancouver Screwjob. (LTTSTORE DOT COM!)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Someone chopper in and airlift the MacAddress guy outta there while they still can. Thanks in advance

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

Also Linus' bit in that video is one big 'sorry, but...'.

It's clear the man is incapable of genuine contrition.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did, you deserved it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Profanity posted:

It's clear the man is incapable of genuine contrition.

Yeah, he's still trying to blow smoke about the Billet stuff, saying there was only two days gap in communication. GN posted the receipts already, so we know it to be far worse than that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Lovely that LTT cried about not acting like a fellow tech tuber at GN while pushing a video that would make Halliburton feel warm and humane.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
How do they keep digging themselves deeper and deeper while being so ridiculously tone deaf.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

lol they hosed over Billet Labs again with the apology video

Those 2000 pounds they wanted to keep private.

Yo! Better work on that apology video production pipeline folks!

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
They're taking a week off. So it'll take at least a week for a Madison apology video complete with "a message from our sponsors... psyche!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vic posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa GN's news video follow-up specifically left-out the dollar amount because Billet asked them to!!!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Man I feel bad for Madison. She basically got pressured into taking a job in another country and it turns out she gets overworked, groped and shut down for her troubles. That sucks. Triply so because social media manager for a YouTube channel should be a bullshit no effort, no stress job.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

well why not posted:

Man I feel bad for Madison. She basically got pressured into taking a job in another country and it turns out she gets overworked, groped and shut down for her troubles. That sucks. Triply so because social media manager for a YouTube channel should be a bullshit no effort, no stress job.

I hope that the LTT cheerleaders won't double down on death threats and other hostilities to her now that the circle the wagons phase has started.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

I hope that the LTT cheerleaders won't double down on death threats and other hostilities to her now that the circle the wagons phase has started.

This is the internet. Everyone involved will be getting death threats. Madison's just gonna get more.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa GN's news video follow-up specifically left-out the dollar amount because Billet asked them to!!!

Seeing "£xxxx" in GN's video made me assume it was a lot more than 2000.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Profanity posted:

Holy christ can you people even attempt to sound like you're not reading from a teleprompter? That whole video is so forced and unnatural.

One of them, can't remember whom, is literally holding the little teleprompter advance "puck" that you see Linus with often.

This whole thing is so so bad.

gradenko_2000 posted:

in a sense this is part of the fallout of the unionization discussion from... two ??? years ago and Linus said he didn't want to and thought it wasn't necessary
Linus brought it up just this past WAN Show, as they mentioned the Writer's and Actor's strike. He claimed he supports unions, but that he would feel like a failure if his employee's formed one. It was that bad. He really can't separate himself from the company.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

A good poster posted:

Seeing "£xxxx" in GN's video made me assume it was a lot more than 2000.

That's quite probably just the manufacturing cost of that specific sample. I very much doubt it includes all the other costs involved like R&D etc.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Tornhelm posted:

That's quite probably just the manufacturing cost of that specific sample. I very much doubt it includes all the other costs involved like R&D etc.

They stated that's all they want as they're already working on the next thing. They would be in the right to ask for the associated costs, but that would probably reflect poorly on them.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
With screw up after screw up, it does shine a new light on Linus’ claim that he rejected $100 million buyout out of principle. Anyone buying this company would have immediately found out about the incompetent internal practices and the potentially endless skeletons in the HR closet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah it's hard to imagine this company surviving any kind of audit from a prospective buyer.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah it's hard to imagine this company surviving any kind of audit from a prospective buyer.

Lots of influencer adjacent firms have more skeletons in their closets than a Colombian cartel. Some would actually put them on display and be proud of them.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

*coming from an Elon Musk thread* Agreed.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Linus: "But we didn't show a dollar amount. We showed an amount in pounds. :smuggo: "

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
the Madison stuff is horrifying. jesus christ.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Vic posted:

Those 2000 pounds they wanted to keep private.

Yo! Better work on that apology video production pipeline folks!

There is something uniquely funny about making an error/mistake while responding to outcry over your errors/mistakes.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

grack posted:

Apparently LTT is sending emails to all the auction winners from the night that waterblock was auctioned off asking people what they purchased.

Somebody posted a redacted version of the email they got on the Reddit thread. Apparently LTT is sending these emails out because they lost their master list and need it for "tax purposes".

They didn't even loving know who wound up with that prototype block

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15s8ew8/lmg_is_contacting_auction_participants_they_lost/
but LTT told billet labs they know who has the waterblock. they wouldn't just continue lying to them after all of this right?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I expect an apology for that apology video

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Branch Nvidian posted:

There is something uniquely funny about making an error/mistake while responding to outcry over your errors/mistakes.

Sad too. They rushed their “we’re slowing down” video.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

So much for all responses from the man himself going through proper channels for his own sake

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay is Ian Cuttress affiliated with LTT in some way because the man is still repping for Linus through all this - even promoted the apology video as being good

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Just Another Lurker posted:

Weird hill for him to die on but whatever. :shrug:

fwiw Ian C did an immediate about-face once Madison started posting, and has been defending her without question since:

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691716067595280669

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

The Grumbles posted:

So much for all responses from the man himself going through proper channels for his own sake

He really is loving insufferably tone deaf, no amount of restructuring, course change or "tough conversations" are going to help when he and his cadre of dumbasses are involved

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay is Ian Cuttress affiliated with LTT in some way because the man is still repping for Linus through all this - even promoted the apology video as being good

Grindset/small business owner mindset most likely.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Edzel has elephant ears.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Linus has been operating under the assumption the company's continued success is his personal achievement but most of it is just youtube selling him well.

He got the eyes on him and companies just... gave him money. I get it he worked really hard for it, but so does the nice man with a pizzeria down the street from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Apparently they're deleting comments about Madison from youtube comments.