Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Robo Captain posted:

Well, they already have once but never will again so I'm okay with this

Sorry, if England has to win in my lifetime I mean lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

ozmunkeh posted:

The end of The Rover except Guy Pearce is burying Australia’s World Cup hopes.

Who's Robert Pattison in that scenario?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Harry Lime posted:

need a gif of Tony's frantic gesticulations

https://twitter.com/NathanielWhitto/status/1691776845388095645

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

peanut- posted:

Heartfelming to see the world unite in support of everyone’s favourite team: England.

Eat chain

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bummer of a match, but getting this far is amazing. Sam Kerr is the greatest living Australian. Go Spain.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Admins please embed three lions in this thread on a loop until the final. I'm sure gregggg worked out how to do this back in the day

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Aus were poo poo but I hate losing to England.

We had a good run and everyone knows the third place game is the Moral World Cup final.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Disappointed we didn't win, but fair play - England were better and deservedly won. To be honest I thought England's first two goals were defensive lapses - nobody picked up Toone arriving late in the box, and Carpenter had a shocker not clearing that second goal. Third goal was whatever, we'd thrown people forward to chase the equaliser.

What an absolute worldie from Kerr, think you would've been able to hear that pretty much anywhere in the country.

Overall it's disappointing but still super proud of how well they've done overall. After that Nigeria result it looked dangerously like the wheels were going to come off, but they bounced back fantastically well.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

a real chump posted:

Aus were poo poo but I hate losing to England.

We had a good run and everyone knows the third place game is the Moral World Cup final.

what was it like in the stadium

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

webmeister posted:

what was it like in the stadium

Depressing. The goal was unreal and incredible atmosphere but the second goal was deflating and everyone was sad

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

already copyright stuck, the thugs at FIFA deny us this joy

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Lots of talk on US media about recruiting Wiegman as their coach after the tournament. Her contract with England's until 2027, not sure how they would do that.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
loving hell, Australia you had a good run, but alas.
My problem is individually I like the players on the English team but I hate England as a concept. However the Harry Kane having 0 trophies in spite of England having the Euros and World Cup is so powerfully funny I think against all odds that might actually happen.

Otherwise it's a team who hate their coach but if they keep winning they'd ostensibly have to keep the prick there. Sucks this is the final.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

Lots of talk on US media about recruiting Wiegman as their coach after the tournament. Her contract with England's until 2027, not sure how they would do that.

parking a dumptruck full of cash in front of the FA I imagine

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Terminally Bored posted:

Money

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
If there's one thing the US knows how to do it's throw around ungodly amounts of money. not sure she'd go for it though

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

a real chump posted:

Depressing. The goal was unreal and incredible atmosphere but the second goal was deflating and everyone was sad

:sickos:

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Dual Monarchy posted:

My problem is individually I like the players on the English team but I hate England as a concept.
stuff like this is just heartfelming.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

habeasdorkus posted:

Can't believe I have to root for Spain.

:same: They may be a bunch of super doped triangle makers, but at least they're not England

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Harry Lime posted:

need a gif of Tony's frantic gesticulations

had to make it happen
https://i.imgur.com/5relYCK.mp4

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Nuclear Spoon posted:

disqualify england for making people listen to sweet caroline

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
now time for the big question: should pro nigerian stomper lauren james get back in the team for the final :thunk:

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Harry Lime posted:

had to make it happen

Hehe he keeps going.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

now time for the big question: should pro nigerian stomper lauren james get back in the team for the final :thunk:

No

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

the sex ghost posted:

Admins please embed three lions in this thread on a loop until the final. I'm sure gregggg worked out how to do this back in the day

I think the Vindaloo song is better, so please embed that one instead thanks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

can't believe these cutting edge tactics weren't enough to win the world cup

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
In "is this *really* going to be the matchup for the final? ugh" news: https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38202378/usa-coach-andonovski-steps-womens-world-cup-exit-sources

I'm shocked :geno:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Thassa good gif

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Increasingly hearing dire reports that it's coming home

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dual Monarchy posted:

but I hate England as a concept.

That's normal

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I'm a big, big Spain fan because of "Sweet Caroline".

slorb
May 14, 2002
Short of winning the whole thing, I think losing to a grubby English team in the semis was probably the best possible result for the future of women's football in Australia.

I don't think England is going to keep funding their women's team properly once the novelty of winning something wears off and the player base starts to reflect the ethnic/socioeconomic background of English football more broadly.

This was one of our last chances to actually get beaten by a decent English team, creating a generation of Australian players who will go on to crush badly run English teams repeatedly in the 2030s.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

slorb posted:

I don't think England is going to keep funding their women's team properly once the novelty of winning something wears off and the player base starts to reflect the ethnic/socioeconomic background of English football more broadly.

there is a lot going on in this sentence

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
England, famously quick to get tired of talking about things they have won

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

slorb posted:

Short of winning the whole thing, I think losing to a grubby English team in the semis was probably the best possible result for the future of women's football in Australia.

This was one of our last chances to actually get beaten by a decent English team, creating a generation of Australian players who will go on to crush badly run English teams repeatedly in the 2030s.

To clarify your hypothesis is people are only following the England team because it's made up of posh white girls?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
eton's own bukayo saka rides out onto the field on a penny farthing

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

pre-2005 regdates with the spiciest takes

So is Andonovski officially out?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

slorb posted:

this is an incredible post. fair play to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Terminally Bored posted:

pre-2005 regdates with the spiciest takes

So is Andonovski officially out?

Lol, a regdate burn? :gb2gbs: