Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I wonder how that labs guy with the original "... unlike Hardware Unboxed and GamersNexus" feels right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m assuming Steve could tell that they don’t redo all their testing, because the results were identical across different reviews?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I’m assuming Steve could tell that they don’t redo all their testing, because the results were identical across different reviews?

I don’t think anyone believed they redid their testing every time because it’s a monumental waste of time unless you’re making changes to the testing environment outside of the part you’re working on.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

power crystals posted:

I wonder how that labs guy with the original "... unlike Hardware Unboxed and GamersNexus" feels right now.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

power crystals posted:

linus is probably screaming at him and the editor for "leaving that in"

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Vic posted:

Apparently they're deleting comments about Madison from youtube comments.

Ah, yes, "protecting her".

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Love how Linus’s segment was sandwiched in between a lot of other employees apologizing (to soften things up for him) and he still couldn’t fully take responsibility

Just an absolute clusterfuck and more proof that the management situation is untenable

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Romes128 posted:

linus is probably screaming at him and the editor for "leaving that in"

Wasn’t it a video from a fan during a tour of the labs? LMG didn’t edit it at all

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Who are the currently big sponsors of LTT?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

c355n4 posted:

Who are the currently big sponsors of LTT?

https://storefront.throne.com/linusmediagroup/sponsors-affiliates-partners

It's an hodgepodge of brands ranging from Asus to manscaped. I feel like the weird youtube drop shippers and bullshit sellers are more likely to put sizable amounts cash than say Lenovo.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 16, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Of course they monetized the apology video. Lmao
https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1691770919461478862

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

https://storefront.throne.com/linusmediagroup/sponsors-affiliates-partners

It's an hodgepodge of brands ranging from Asus to manscaped. I feel like the weird youtube drop shippers and bullshit sellers are more likely to put sizable amounts cash than say Lenovo.

Time to express my displeasure of this situation.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Vic posted:

YouTube's comments system is weird. If a comment doesn't show up, it might have been hidden by an algorithm or a YouTube community manager.

It's possible that they're deleting comments, but most times comments disappear on YouTube it's because they've been quarantined by YouTube and the channel owner has to approve them. At least in my experience.

I wish YouTube comments were like in the old days when you could carry on a 200-post thread with subthreads about complex and techincal subjects. These days if a comment isn't pinned by a creator it gets lost in the crowd.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NoOneCorrectMe/status/1691664006275059736

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

So much for all responses from the man himself going through proper channels for his own sake

the corporate tone is still there, it just has lovely jokes to go with it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Grumbles posted:

So much for all responses from the man himself going through proper channels for his own sake

lol, yes, humor is a bad thing in your apology video. Yes. How is this even a question?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

honestly the stuff in steve's video pales in comparison to the bombshell that madison dropped

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol, yes, humor is a bad thing in your apology video. Yes. How is this even a question?

good news for linus though is that he gets to learn from his mistakes when he makes his next apology video

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Hope to see some sponsor/affiliate responses to this situation today.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Branch Nvidian posted:

Of course they monetized the apology video. Lmao
https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1691770919461478862

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsU0uj-OzCc

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Cantide posted:

Not sure I would trust the account of someone who does this:

"I purposefully cut my leg open so badly I would have to go to the ER to get it stapled back together."

Just saying neither side is trustworthy without evidence one way or another

gently caress you

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rubellavator posted:

honestly the stuff in steve's video pales in comparison to the bombshell that madison dropped

If you ignore the theft and fencing stolen goods part, nothing had any legal weight in the GN videos beside professionalism and reputation(uk libel laws will happily string you up for a similar video without solid receipts). The Madison thread on the other hand would make any serious HR manager go for a good bottle or a revolver depending on the country.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The Madison stuff really makes all the "jokes" Linus does in the tour videos about probation employees look not so much like he's joking for the camera and he actually is abusive to people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
jfc i just remembered having an employee edit a video of him walking around his house butt rear end naked

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Catpain Slack posted:

People telling you to gently caress off because you post like a dipshit is not "mob mentality"

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Also, what the hell is Emily dealing with on a weekly basis?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Years and years ago, right out of grad school, I was a contract worker for a mid-sized regional company with a founder/CEO. They did a lot of property development, probably had a net worth about what LTT is if that $100 mil number is true, but a relatively small staff at the main office level. The sort of place that owns a good chunk of the downtown of a regionally-important but nationally-meh city.

The owner prided himself on being a fun workplace and treating everyone like family. The important thing to remember, though, is that it was ultimately about being fun for him and "you're family" is just a way to try to get employees to misjudge their relationship and do favors for the person cutting their paycheck like they're helping their brother or grandmother. Like, I'll happily take an evening and help one of my siblings move a couch for nothing but a thank you, but if my boss wants that he better be paying me.

Anyways, it loving sucked. Workplace was toxic as hell, and any insinuation that being at work wasn't just a grand 'ol fun time that's basically the same as not working at all would be met with hostility and anger from that CEO.

All to say, any time you find an office where the people in charge insist that it's fun start looking closely at everyone else to see how forced the mandatory smiles are.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Jesus Christ. It's one thing to not judge a situation based on claims alone, which is rational, but it's another to discount a victim's account out of hand because they're a victim. And I'm pretty sure that she has plenty of documentation, in case LMG wants to do something monumentally stupid like try to sue her over it.

They're going to try to sue it over it, aren't they?

Vir fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 16, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

If you ignore the theft and fencing stolen goods part, nothing had any legal weight in the GN videos beside professionalism and reputation(uk libel laws will happily string you up for a similar video without solid receipts). The Madison thread on the other hand would make any serious HR manager go for a good bottle or a revolver depending on the country.
This was part of the thread that was linked here I think but I didn't see it when skimming over.

It's so far over the line of "hostile work environment" that I've no idea how she doesn't own LMG from all the lawsuits.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

jfc i just remembered having an employee edit a video of him walking around his house butt rear end naked

Yeah, I thought about that when that video originally went up, but I guess like my brain convinced me that he was wearing underwear and the strawberry emoji was just there was a joke. I now realize that he probably was just stark-rear end naked and some probationary employee in the editing department had to do that.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Thom12255 posted:

The Madison stuff really makes all the "jokes" Linus does in the tour videos about probation employees look not so much like he's joking for the camera and he actually is abusive to people.

I get the impression that Linus genuinely doesn't even know how to abuse people in the way Madison is describing. He is, however, entirely incapable of putting himself in her shoes to realize what the problem is and probably can only offer nonsolutions like "have you tried asking them to stop" because that kind of thing does work for him (since he's the boss and everybody has to do what he says) and he doesn't want to have to have hard conversations.

If you don't clamp down on that kind of behavior as soon as it shows up it will fester as more and more people think "well if he's doing it," and before you know it your company accidentally has a culture of being horribly sexist.

e: you know what if you're reading this later I take this back, the intent was mostly to call Linus an idiot but at this point there's so many skeletons in LMG's closet that he has to be at least partially complicit rather than just stupid

power crystals fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 16, 2023

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Madison's posts have put me off LTT for good, I reckon. Not that I watched it a lot, mostly the videos where Linus and Alex do something stupid with computer parts, but uh, yeah. Those videos are a lot less funny when you know how disgusting people are being treated by senior members of staff behind the camera.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Vic posted:

linus tech tips posted:

We are still us.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Cantide posted:

Not sure I would trust the account of someone who does this:

"I purposefully cut my leg open so badly I would have to go to the ER to get it stapled back together."

Just saying neither side is trustworthy without evidence one way or another
What the gently caress is this post?

I've been lurking this thread but I just wanted to post how ridiculous this post was. How brain broken do you have to be to defend LTT on these allegations? How many anti worker practices does LTT have to do for you to be convinced? This isn't the first experiences posted from ex employees from LTT too.

I shouldn't be surprised coming from someone who says "boths sides" unironically

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rubellavator posted:

yeah the situation has just gone from a bunch of correctable oopsies, to poo poo that cannot be recovered from without firings of some people who have been there a long time

Two different reddit posts (from ltt and pcmr reddits) of Madison's twitter are now on the front of /all

gradenko_2000 posted:

supposedly the guy who did that volunteered, but man the culture there makes "volunteer" look a lot less voluntary

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
It’s like Linus getting his co-workers lug his furniture around his mansion. This might make sense when he was a pasty nerd who just quit NCIX and needed to save a few bucks by having Luke help him.

But now? There’s no reason to not hire professionals rather than “ask” (read: pressure) Dennis to do a task he’s incapable of doing and then getting angry when he predictably scratches up your antique floors (because he isn’t a professional mover).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
e: nevermind whatever

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/suuuoppp/status/1691707172215046446?s=20

what the gently caress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress!!!

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Thom12255 posted:

Also, what the hell is Emily dealing with on a weekly basis?

I guess it depends..... it's possible not to be transphobic but still be a sex pest, I guess? And uh, Emily is unlikely to be on the receiving end of the more sexually-driven comments from the rest of the team that Madison pointed out from the broadly white, male members of staff.

Given she's been there for a long time, I'd expect her not to be put on blast so much for work-related reasons. OTOH, in an environment like that, transphobia could absolutely be a thing, and from Madison's description of it, there's no way there's appropriate protections or policies in place to deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

power crystals posted:

I get the impression that Linus genuinely doesn't even know how to abuse people in the way Madison is describing. He is, however, entirely incapable of putting himself in her shoes to realize what the problem is and probably can only offer nonsolutions like "have you tried asking them to stop" because that kind of thing does work for him (since he's the boss and everybody has to do what he says) and he doesn't want to have to have hard conversations.

If you don't clamp down on that kind of behavior as soon as it shows up it will fester as more and more people think "well if he's doing it," and before you know it your company accidentally has a culture of being horribly sexist.

No idea why you think a self-ascribed bully is some blameless flower child that couldn't possibly abuse people