Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

distortion park posted:

I've never seen a heron this comfortable with people before

There were a couple just chilling. Even a few dogs going past within 3 or so meters.

there's a guy in Frederiksberg (Copenhagen) known as Hejremanden (the heron man) who's been feeding the herons there but there's a bunch of palaver about it. some people feel unsafe i guess

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7198130704390196486

e: older clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SJhEXTlNbo

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I have a memory of a really big gull in New Brunswick. There was a flock of gulls on a sand bar and one of them was practically twice the size of all the others.

My brother and I collected sand eels nearby and offered them to the god gull. He ate them

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I have a memory of a really big gull in New Brunswick. There was a flock of gulls on a sand bar and one of them was practically twice the size of all the others.

My brother and I collected sand eels nearby and offered them to the god gull. He ate them

Were you blessed with an unusually abundant harvest calm seas for the following year and one day?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Sad news. Neither of the squabs were on my balcony this morning. I looked over the edge and saw one of them must have fallen or attempted to fledge and unfortunately they didn't make it. Poor little guy. He had the most beautiful triangle markings.

I went out to the building's parking lot and found his sibling bumbling around on someone else's balcony. He flew down to see me and we just sorta sat there. He then found his way back to my balcony. I've dumped a poo poo ton of seed out for him.

I hope he doesn't feel alone. :(

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Sad news. Neither of the squabs were on my balcony this morning. I looked over the edge and saw one of them must have fallen or attempted to fledge and unfortunately they didn't make it. Poor little guy. He had the most beautiful triangle markings.

I went out to the building's parking lot and found his sibling bumbling around on someone else's balcony. He flew down to see me and we just sorta sat there. He then found his way back to my balcony. I've dumped a poo poo ton of seed out for him.

I hope he doesn't feel alone. :(

aww :(

don't they normally survive falls like that? Wonder if it was sick.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Yeah, I just don't know what happened. It may have been an animal, maybe the people below me have a cat and it got to the bird. There was a lot of blood. Terrible sight.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Ah. We have a hawk now. That explains everything

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
There's one in our neighborhood too. Either we hear lots of birds or just the hawk yelling about hawk things.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/mUFmtY6.mp4

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
deffo not as they seem

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Remember to not only cork your owl, but periodically rotate & mix for maximum freshness

distortion park posted:

I've never seen a heron this comfortable with people before

There were a couple just chilling. Even a few dogs going past within 3 or so meters.

This reminds me of the turkeys & squirrels I've been interacting with over the last few months. Surprised me how chill the turkeys were after a short time, as soon as they knew I was tossing food out they almost immediately wanted to be friends. The squirrels were & still are a bit timid at times but there are 2 or 3 that will come within a couple feet of me & wait for me to toss nuts out to them (or hang out on my screen door if they're impatient). You'd be surprised how quick wild animals acclimate & almost end up semi-tame after being around & observing people. Animals in general don't get enough credit for how smart, adaptive & observant they really are...as long as you don't pose a threat, you can make some really cool furry & feathered buddies. I like knowing my place is a little safe haven for them where they can hang out & not worry about anything - just the bald goof on the patio with a laptop or a cup of coffee, silently observing or giggling at the craziness & occasionally snapping pics. It's nice sometimes to slow down & really take in everything around you that the crazy, busy, constantly grinding world makes you miss or overlook.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Aug 22, 2023

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hmmmm something must be wrong because your turkey pictures aren't showing up

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

hmmmm something must be wrong because your turkey pictures aren't showing up

Seconding this I don't see them either.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Sorry bout that, here's some cross-posted ones from the Critterquest thread, plus a newer one from about a week ago when a good 7-8 birds were in my neighbor's yard

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Early morning surprise with my coffee - turkey boy brought some friends :3:

Only 6 here but the other 2 were around the corner to the right, just doin' their turkey thang :3:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Remember to not only cork your owl, but periodically rotate & mix for maximum freshness

Apparently you have to also mist your owls (umute)

https://i.imgur.com/hOvgPNi.mp4

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mo-mo-moisten your owl!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And... train your parrot?

https://i.imgur.com/TxdvNXx.mp4

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

I found someone doing this way up on a ridge in my local park a few months ago. First saw the macaw before I saw the person and it was definitely a wtf moment.

Kingsley the macaw no logo-9826

Kingsley the macaw no logo-9888

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/OzJ3slw.mp4

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

This gets funnier every time I watch it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Feel like you could have reasonable success catching pigeons with just the hole.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Man, the complete lack of reaction is absolutely killing me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Terrible power: I could print an entire murder

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The takahē - once thought extinct - have been returned to their natural habitat in NZ for the first time in more than a century

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Now THAT is a borb.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Are all birds on New Zealand perfectly round, or is it just that one and the kakapo?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SpacePig posted:

Are all birds on New Zealand perfectly round, or is it just that one and the kakapo?

Watch out or the Kia will gently caress you up

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Inceltown posted:

Watch out or the Kia will gently caress you up

Thought I was in the bike thread for a second

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SpacePig posted:

Also the kiwi.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SpacePig posted:

Kererū

Tauhou

Kiwi

Korora

Ruru

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/qu984WS.mp4

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Is this how you make Foie Birb :ohdear:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
JUST PUT IT IN MY MOUTH

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/qu984WS.mp4

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

oh my goodness

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
eg

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Assume, for the sake of argument, a spherical bird:

Prehistoric bird once thought extinct returns to New Zealand wild

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Look slightly up-thread for a variety of NZ birds that are just chubby spherical little guys.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Dinoborb :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Researchers in PNG get video evidence of the Black-naped pheasant pigeon which had previously only been known from a single specimen collected in 1882 and had been considered extinct for 140 years and they are loving stoked

https://i.imgur.com/7y1IYFH.mp4