Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

I always thought that was some cringey in-joke, but people sincerely report posts to tattle about anime content in YOSPOS. Like, whatever, but also lol.

snitches get stiches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
More like Banime.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I only go to YOSPOS for their cat thread.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Quick look at North Korean art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctXewt3s6_s

I expected the same gaudy oil paintings that everyone's seen of some Kim being gifted flowers by a bunch of kids, but it makes sense that they'd have really skilled linocut/woodcut artists

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

let's gooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoQoyIixSCQ

new hazel vid lfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biV2AEvOH_8

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Antigravitas posted:

That's a given, LTT does tech entertainment, not actual serious tech information. People who watch LTT without recognising that can be tremendously annoying.

Can we conclude linus is the cinema sins of tech reviews

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Do any filmmakers live by cinema sins? Cause I’ve worked with plenty of ‘software engineers’ who loved ltt

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is zero way they're that loving bad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

no. there are many layers worse. linus isn't even actually a fanboy for any brand. there are people who run "objective" sites and will come up with any excuse to poo poo on intel/amd/nvidia. linus is just bad.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I have no idea who linus tech tip is except that the one Chinese engineer twitter lady got mad at him for being weird at a conference

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Alright, this one got a sensible chuckle or two for his attempt at Jon Bois with a side of Bill Wurtz vibe, crossed with his music work

Where's the dude singing "Hey There Delilah"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-psaT76mYo4

Some of his older stuff leans on AI art stuff, but I'm hoping that was older forrays when Dall-E was adventures in jank.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

tinaun posted:

do you want to watch an 80 minute video on olympic mascots? course you do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsH708lC6fE

Don't miss this one, it's equal parts informative, entertaining, strange and surprising. Graham is such a cool person in general honestly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I didn't realize Graham was still doing videos. I remember watching Loading Ready Run and thr Unskippable series over ten years ago.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arivia posted:

no. there are many layers worse. linus isn't even actually a fanboy for any brand. there are people who run "objective" sites and will come up with any excuse to poo poo on intel/amd/nvidia. linus is just bad.

Linus covers products on his channels that he invests in personally. I think that's worse than being a fanboy.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Arc Hammer posted:

I didn't realize Graham was still doing videos. I remember watching Loading Ready Run and thr Unskippable series over ten years ago.

LRR and Desert Bus For Hope are still very much active! A full week of scheduled and irregular streams of games and regular releases of other comedy stuff like their monthly variety show LoadingReadyLIVE. Great community too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tracecomplete posted:

Linus covers products on his channels that he invests in personally. I think that's worse than being a fanboy.

Linus belongs right on the pile that proves the adage "small business owners are universally insane." He treats LMG like his personal baby and is unable to separate his own emotions from its reputation, insists on micromanaging every aspect of it even after it's sprawled out well beyond the point he should be delegating most non-strategic matters, and clearly approaches his content as "how can I kick this out the door as fast as possible spending the least amount of :10bux: on labor as possible" rather than trying to accurately and objectively represent the products he reviews for his viewers.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

LRR and Desert Bus For Hope are still very much active! A full week of scheduled and irregular streams of games and regular releases of other comedy stuff like their monthly variety show LoadingReadyLIVE. Great community too.

LRR still being together is kinda wild yeah, I remember finding them through their Fun With Microwave video they put out fifteen years ago, when I was still a Sophomore in HS. :psyduck:

One time during a DBFH stream I donated asking if they could help an Algebra II problem I was stuck on and I think James immediately pulled out a sheet of paper to do the math and then read off a solution that turned out to be wrong, lol.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

LTT is gormless but mostly harmless, like some "I loving love science tech" teenagers. Cinema Sins isn't just utterly bereft of gorm, but actively malicious.

And wendel is a moron.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I do wish linus to mend those errors if those claims are true, that is some egregious harm done to others' businesses and livelihoods. The double down is not pleasant.

Cinemasins just plain sucks. Imagine catering your script to someone who looks at their phone instead of the movie screen and fails to remember words and basic cinematic language. The bright side for me is that thanks to blockers I don't have people like Cinema sins clogging up my YouTube home page and recommend. Only in search results on mobile because youtube mobile takes away features, because google.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Turns out it's a lot worse than just some poo poo business practices:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1691693740254228741.html
CW for self harm, sexual harassment and assault
Turns out their workplace culture is straight up toxic and drove an employee to self harm and told her to have a date with another employee to resolve 'sexual tension'.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Apparently there is a new response video out...on floatplane, which is their subscription video service thing...so they're literally paywalling a response/apology video

also it doesn't have any mention of the allegations made by madison, but that's a whole other can of worms

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Apparently there is a new response video out...on floatplane, which is their subscription video service thing...so they're literally paywalling a response/apology video

also it doesn't have any mention of the allegations made by madison, but that's a whole other can of worms

Presumably they're doing that so the only people that see it are people who are already going to be sympathetic, once again managing the optics and the revenue stream instead of actually dealing with any of it properly.

Annointed posted:

I do wish linus to mend those errors if those claims are true, that is some egregious harm done to others' businesses and livelihoods. The double down is not pleasant.

Cinemasins just plain sucks. Imagine catering your script to someone who looks at their phone instead of the movie screen and fails to remember words and basic cinematic language. The bright side for me is that thanks to blockers I don't have people like Cinema sins clogging up my YouTube home page and recommend. Only in search results on mobile because youtube mobile takes away features, because google.

Cinemasins gets comprehensively demolished by other people on a regular basis (Shaun's videos pointing out things like them failing to even keep their ding counter accurate from appearance to appearance is great), and all they do is respond "It's just jokes". Yeah dudes, you can make fun of movies fine without deliberately misinterpreting them or ignoring that your points get answered 30 seconds later, Ryan George does it all the time with Pitch Meeting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sydin posted:

One time during a DBFH stream I donated asking if they could help an Algebra II problem I was stuck on and I think James immediately pulled out a sheet of paper to do the math and then read off a solution that turned out to be wrong, lol.

Should've asked Cameron to do it instead. :lol:

#BlameJames

But yeah, LRR and DBfH are both still wonderful :allears:. They also managed to get back the rights to Unskippable a while back and have been gradually reuploading them on their gaming channel with rerecorded game cutscene footage, and remastered audio, that wasn't rendered for 480p.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Vinny watches the second half of the Donkey Kong Country TV show songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK0UsTe-5e0&hd=1

I had to isolate this specific scene in particular from "I've got it all" because it's just so perfectly hilarious

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

They're coming up on their 20 year anniversary this October.

I managed to find their website about a week after it went live, but I've no real clue how.
I think maybe discoverability was just more of a thing back then, whereas now there's basically no chance of knowing when something new appears on the internet short of some algorithm pushing it, whether paid or not.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Yeah, they do some good stuff - and a couple of the folks in LRR are goons too (and have mentioned it on-camera, including referencing the Dune thread and the NAS thread).

I think Graham or Paul even talked about having an account at some point, and how they weren't using it anymore.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 16, 2023

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTpTMl8kFY
I'm not sure when this was posted to floatplane, but I'd guess this was uploaded to both places at once but since floatplane is hosted in their own building uploads are a tad quicker

hopefully for the sake of his hundred employees, this time linus will actually stop being like this publicly

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

egg tats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTpTMl8kFY
I'm not sure when this was posted to floatplane, but I'd guess this was uploaded to both places at once but since floatplane is hosted in their own building uploads are a tad quicker

hopefully for the sake of his hundred employees, this time linus will actually stop being like this publicly

No subtitles, one of the chapters is "a wild Linus appears" and a plug for the LTT store. COMMITMENT TO QUALITY

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Fil5000 posted:

No subtitles, one of the chapters is "a wild Linus appears" and a plug for the LTT store. COMMITMENT TO QUALITY

Lol within the first 5 min someone pulls the “our weakness is that we work too hard” trick.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Linus' section of the video is just the same defensive poo poo as his post, but with "I shouldn't have made that emotional post".

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
You gotta wonder what possesses a man like Linus, who by all accounts has "made it", to turn around and start publicly torching his public image, the thing a lot of his business is built on. All he had to do was shut the gently caress up and let corporate handle this.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Clerical Terrors posted:

You gotta wonder what possesses a man like Linus, who by all accounts has "made it", to turn around and start publicly torching his public image, the thing a lot of his business is built on. All he had to do was shut the gently caress up and let corporate handle this.

Because he's got a huge ego and it's entirely bound up in this thing he's built. He can't accept that it's the business being critiqued and not him personally.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Clerical Terrors posted:

virtually every pr issue lmg has ever had can be summarized at least 50% with "and then Linus doesn't know how to shut his mouth about how this hurt his feelings

there's a reason he stepped out of the CEO position (but it turns out only being the owner doesn't keep him from shooting his mouth off)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol I guess linus is worse than cinema sins whose crime is teaching people to be bad at watching movies

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Captain Invictus posted:

Vinny watches the second half of the Donkey Kong Country TV show songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK0UsTe-5e0&hd=1

I had to isolate this specific scene in particular from "I've got it all" because it's just so perfectly hilarious

I love King K. Rool's Ratigan voice in this cartoon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I love King K. Rool's Ratigan voice in this cartoon.

Everyone in the DK cartoon was perfectly cast for their role... except for DK, weirdly. When I think Donkey Kong, I don't usually think "airy voiced beach bum" type, but whatever, show's old enough to drink in the US now.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

Antigravitas posted:

LTT is gormless but mostly harmless, like some "I loving love science tech" teenagers. Cinema Sins isn't just utterly bereft of gorm, but actively malicious.

And wendel is a moron.

lol at this dramatic rear end post

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think once we get to "response to a response" videos we're enough in the weeds on a topic that people who are still interested can find it on their own, but good lord responding to "you sold something you didn't own" with "actually we AUCTIONED it, to CHARITY" was bonkers enough I wanted to post this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3byz3txpso

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Chad Jihad posted:

I think once we get to "response to a response" videos we're enough in the weeds on a topic that people who are still interested can find it on their own, but good lord responding to "you sold something you didn't own" with "actually we AUCTIONED it, to CHARITY" was bonkers enough I wanted to post this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3byz3txpso

Auctioning it to the highest bidder at a public event actually seemed worse to me lol.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TheMightyBoops posted:

Auctioning it to the highest bidder at a public event actually seemed worse to me lol.

auctioned at an event attended by several of their competitors. Linus is pretty sure* none of those competitors bought it though

*he's not sure of that at all

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

FuturePastNow posted:

auctioned at an event attended by several of their competitors. Linus is pretty sure* none of those competitors bought it though

*he's not sure of that at all

Yeah, after the Gamers Nexus video went up Linus Media Group apparently sent out an email to all the auction winners asking them to reply with what they won and for how much "for tax purposes" because they apparently didn't track this information themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah, after the Gamers Nexus video went up Linus Media Group apparently sent out an email to all the auction winners asking them to reply with what they won and for how much "for tax purposes" because they apparently didn't track this information themselves.

Colton said in the new LTT response video that they didn't need to do that, and that he was responsible for poor communication in his department (including logistics) which lead to that message being sent out.