Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah, I thought about that when that video originally went up, but I guess like my brain convinced me that he was wearing underwear and the strawberry emoji was just there was a joke. I now realize that he probably was just stark-rear end naked and some probationary employee in the editing department had to do that.

I remember reading about that somewhere from them on reddit - apparently Dennis edited that video, and he's had to do it so much he has a "strategy" for it now - starting with the video fully blurred and then reducing the blur area with masking so he never actually has to see the, uh, package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

power crystals posted:

I get the impression that Linus genuinely doesn't even know how to abuse people in the way Madison is describing.

yeah i wouldn't be that charitable. he has had terrible small business owner tyrant examples for years. belittling/vaguely threatening someone is something that bosses like that are good at

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah, I thought about that when that video originally went up, but I guess like my brain convinced me that he was wearing underwear and the strawberry emoji was just there was a joke. I now realize that he probably was just stark-rear end naked and some probationary employee in the editing department had to do that.
I was hesitant to reply to this one, as I don't want it mistook as a defense of Linus in that situation.

Dennis talked about editing the home video, and asked to do it. He said that before he even looked at it, he blurred the entire thing, then slowly shrank the blur to where it was needed, and the software he used could fix the blur to that point throughout the entire video.

In short, he didn't have to edit raw video of Linus nude.

Given all the recent revelations, are they lying about it? Possible, just relaying what they said about it.

E - Kalleth's reply came in between my typing and posting.

jeffreyw posted:

It’s like Linus getting his co-workers lug his furniture around his mansion. This might make sense when he was a pasty nerd who just quit NCIX and needed to save a few bucks by having Luke help him.

But now? There’s no reason to not hire professionals rather than “ask” (read: pressure) Dennis to do a task he’s incapable of doing and then getting angry when he predictably scratches up your antique floors (because he isn’t a professional mover).
Linus is a cheap gently caress. He's proudly mentioned that numerous times. It has been stated that those who were there to "help" were paid, but given everything else that's come out (in addition to what's known), it's just another demonstration of abusing his workers, that will probably continue.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Wait so were LMG staff actually posting nudes on the OF or were strangers messaging them? Cos the former seems a little wild for a prank

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Xakura posted:

No idea why you think a self-ascribed bully is some blameless flower child that couldn't possibly abuse people

I'm specifically not saying he's blameless, I'm saying that him letting that happen under him is far worse than him personally telling her to calm her tits or whatever, because he's ultimately the one responsible for stopping it and yes as a terminal small business owner he will never admit enough fault to realize his employees are not perfecf.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

power crystals posted:

I'm specifically not saying he's blameless, I'm saying that him letting that happen under him is far worse than him personally telling her to calm her tits or whatever, because he's ultimately the one responsible for stopping it and yes as a terminal small business owner he will never admit enough fault to realize his employees are not perfecf.

dig up

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

power crystals posted:

I get the impression that Linus genuinely doesn't even know how to abuse people in the way Madison is describing. He is, however, entirely incapable of putting himself in her shoes to realize what the problem is and probably can only offer nonsolutions like "have you tried asking them to stop" because that kind of thing does work for him (since he's the boss and everybody has to do what he says) and he doesn't want to have to have hard conversations.

If you don't clamp down on that kind of behavior as soon as it shows up it will fester as more and more people think "well if he's doing it," and before you know it your company accidentally has a culture of being horribly sexist.

Having worked in male only teams, I have zero issues about sexual harassment being entirely ignored or even amplified as a spirit du corps thing. It's likely he never graduated from a high school mindset so, the kind of stuff normal people get crucifixed for in an office doesn't compute for him.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Koskun posted:

Linus is a cheap gently caress. He's proudly mentioned that numerous times. It has been stated that those who were there to "help" were paid, but given everything else that's come out (in addition to what's known), it's just another demonstration of abusing his workers, that will probably continue.

Considering how affordable most professional movers are, just how little did he pay his employees?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Some strong Gob Bluth 'I made a huge mistake' energy from the new CEO.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

8 Ball posted:

Wait so were LMG staff actually posting nudes on the OF or were strangers messaging them? Cos the former seems a little wild for a prank

OnlyFans-users were sending them dickpicks - it wasn't other staff members. This was back when OnlyFans branded itself as a sort of site for creators. It even tried to go fully safe-for-work at one point. But when you sign up for such a site, you know what you're getting into, and making her do that against her enthusiastic consent is bad.

The idea is funny. But as an employer you shouldn't make people look at genitalia against their will. You're not a gynecology practice.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
steve literally called linus out for gaslighting in his second video. i'm not going to go all darvo on the analysis, but at some point you have stop and ask yourself why abusive people don't fit your model of an abusive person, especially the loving tech channel that was predominantly known for their insufferable sexual innuendo since the beginning

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Vir posted:

OnlyFans-users were sending them dickpicks - it wasn't other staff members. This was back when OnlyFans branded itself as a sort of site for creators. It even tried to go fully safe-for-work at one point. But when you sign up for such a site, you know what you're getting into, and making her do that against her enthusiastic consent is really bad.

At that point any self-respecting company should immediately pull the plug and close down that account. Not ask their employee to hang on

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah I always wondered what happened to her. The audience LOVED her in that video and everyone said he should hire her.

You ever wonder what happened to the kid who got Linus' silver play button at that auction?

Wish I hadn't.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kliras posted:

steve literally called linus out for gaslighting in his second video. i'm not going to go all darvo on the analysis, but at some point you have stop and ask yourself why abusive people don't fit your model of an abusive person, especially the loving tech channel that was predominantly known for their insufferable sexual innuendo since the beginning

My mind is sorta foggy today but wasn't Linus carrying water for Penny Arcade when they had that big dickwolves fallout? Or another big youtuber that looked like him?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Remember when their april fools vid was just dozens of sponsor spots and segues to more sponsors?

Yeah it was entirely monitized too

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bondematt posted:

Well poo poo, guess I need to get a new mousepad.

Hell yeah https://store.gamersnexus.net/products/gn-red-black-hud-mouse-mat
Without going through the whole checkout process, does anyone know how GN handles shipping to :canada:? Are there any rip off courier fees like some or is it like straightforward mail or something?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

"Look, if this apology video doesn't make enough money to make up for the ones we aren't uploading this week, why are we even doing it?"

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Jesus Christ, when this all started spiraling I had some thoughts in my head like “I bet there’s a creepy sex thing”, but I suppressed it because that’s a heavy accusation to just toss around, right?

Yeah, so there’s a creepy sex thing, too. :stonk:

Speaking of Emily, anyone remember the Apache helicopter credit thing from months ago? Odds that that was just an “innocent mistake” are through the loving floor now.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

slidebite posted:

Without going through the whole checkout process, does anyone know how GN handles shipping to :canada:? Are there any rip off courier fees like some or is it like straightforward mail or something?

Shipping is a bit on a pricey side. I just checked and 4 of the GN pint glasses were $20 shipping within the US and $50 shipping to Japan (where I live)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Cenodoxus posted:

Speaking of Emily, anyone remember the Apache helicopter credit thing from months ago? Odds that that was just an “innocent mistake” are through the loving floor now.
ugh

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 16, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SlowBloke posted:

My mind is sorta foggy today but wasn't Linus carrying water for Penny Arcade when they had that big dickwolves fallout? Or another big youtuber that looked like him?

Most of the games media was running defence for PA over that as I remember it.

Cenodoxus posted:

What.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Doesn't this mean that the editor is on probationary employment, so their identity isn't public yet? But they should be allowed a credit anyway, as we talked about. The whole things is a silly policy.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

njsykora posted:

Most of the games media was running defence for PA over that as I remember it.

What.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Shipping is a bit on a pricey side. I just checked and 4 of the GN pint glasses were $20 shipping within the US and $50 shipping to Japan (where I live)
Thanks! I don't mind semi-reasonable courier/shipping charges in general (shipping in general just ain't cheap anymore), I just don't like surprises due after you've paid for it and shipping and the courier holds it ransom for some "customs processing fee" or something like that. DHL and UPS are known to do that. I'd like to buy something from GN :3:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I don’t even know anything else but lol gently caress this guy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OK at this point I can't say what I want to happen to Linus on the forums without getting probed.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Cantide posted:

Not sure I would trust the account of someone who does this:

"I purposefully cut my leg open so badly I would have to go to the ER to get it stapled back together."

Just saying neither side is trustworthy without evidence one way or another

people forced into unreasonable situations often do unreasonable things. also, gently caress you.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lmao what the hell, gently caress these people.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
so wtf exploded in the 24 hours in here

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Vir posted:

Doesn't this mean that the editor is on probationary employment, so their identity isn't public yet? But they should be allowed a credit anyway, as we talked about. The whole things is a silly policy.

Even if that's cover for a probationary employee, why pick that specific psuedonym? Nothing stops them from literally putting "Probationary employee" there. Somebody knew exactly what they were doing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

njsykora posted:

OK at this point I can't say what I want to happen to Linus on the forums without getting probed.

I mean some of us wished bad things to him since it was insufferable but right now a jury of peers won't judge you for wanting to go full Torquemada.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founder%27s_syndrome
Just gonna quote a passage from this for no reason

quote:

Key staff and board members are typically selected by the founder and are often friends and colleagues of the founder. Their role is to support the founder, rather than to lead the mission. Staff may be chosen due to their personal loyalty to the founder rather than skills, organizational fit, or experience. Board members may be under-qualified, under-informed or intimidated and will typically be unable to answer basic questions without checking first.[24]

Professionally trained and talented recruits, often recruited to resolve difficulties in the organization, find that they are not able to contribute in an effective and professional way.[24]

The founder begins to believe their own press/PR and other marketing related issues.[25]

The founder, who is usually the CEO or managing director, suffers HiPPO (Highest-paid-person's opinion), which means that often their ideas, decisions, etc. keep winning over the actual better ideas, decisions, etc.[26][27]

The founder becomes increasingly paranoid as delegation is required, or business management needs are greater than their training or experience.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

yeah in light of Emily uhhhhh

njsykora posted:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Palladium posted:

so wtf exploded in the 24 hours in here
madison's tweet thread and the "apology video" on the official ltt channel

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15sjb8a/pov_me_after_reading_madisons_twitter_thread/

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol, yes, humor is a bad thing in your apology video. Yes. How is this even a question?

Lowtax-rear end MF lmao

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cantide posted:

"I purposefully cut my leg open so badly I would have to go to the ER to get it stapled back together."

0.07 posts per day? :sad:

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

Cantide posted:

Pls step on a upturned British plug repeatedly until you understand what you've said is very loving wrong.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Lowtax Theft Tips