Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a bit in Transmetropolitan where Spider Jerusalem is writing his first new column in the middle of a riot, full of anger and precisely analyzing the social tensions behind the riot, and later they make a movie out of it where Spider is a musclebound action hero holding a laptop aloft on the roof yelling "I'm telling them that it's... WRONG!"

and that second bit is what Jules thinks journalism is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 12, 2001)

Arlo really deserved that one. Also jesus christ the suspense of when the comic's buffer gets paused.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/15/03

Brenda Starr 7/8/51

Another reference to pet alligators from Florida, and the return of the paper dolls!

Smokey Stover 4/8/56

Everyday Movies 9/7/36

"Oh, let the cop get him!"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/4/42

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Get ready for FARM WEEK!

Pluggers

* I'm in this and I don't like it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Genuinely a bit surprised to see Nancy doing jujutsu in 1943, and it being portrayed as a positive thing. Maybe the "COMMANDO TACTICS" thing is there to soften the blow of using un-patriotic Japanese martial arts during the war?

Or did the American public just not know that jujutsu was Japanese?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/4/42

I have questions.

Bizarro

I like the cameo by Mr. Yuk.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Uh....what?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The end!
No moral.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The adult is dying, the child does not seem overly upset about this situation.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "204 - Jucika Is Polite"

"205 - Jucika As A Quality Inspector"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Genuinely a bit surprised to see Nancy doing jujutsu in 1943, and it being portrayed as a positive thing. Maybe the "COMMANDO TACTICS" thing is there to soften the blow of using un-patriotic Japanese martial arts during the war?

Then again, Jiu Jitsu already had decades of history in America and had been advocated by people like Teddy Roosevelt.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

There was also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffrajitsu

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Get ready for FARM WEEK!

And somewhere, something awakens in a young Guy Gilchrist.

They even made a board game out of it.

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 16, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

For anyone who doesn't recognize it, this is the Scout Law, the list of adjectives Boy Scouts (of America) pledge to live up to

Not "hard worker", the rest

I guess the hand gesture is just meant to convey :lofty:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

maybealabia posted:

For anyone who doesn't recognize it, this is the Scout Law, the list of adjectives Boy Scouts (of America) pledge to live up to

Not "hard worker", the rest

I guess the hand gesture is just meant to convey :lofty:

I landed at least one or two jobs as a kid by being able to rattle that dumb thing off, but that star fell a while ago. I don't even get the discount for car insurance from being an Eagle Scout anymore. Welp, time for my liniments.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

goatface posted:

The adult is dying, the child does not seem overly upset about this situation.
Oh I thought that was like, writing on the adult's shirt. A band name or something. I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Zereth posted:

Oh I thought that was like, writing on the adult's shirt. A band name or something. I had absolutely no idea what was going on.
Oh, I realized what was going on from 'the adult is dying'. We know Ten's mother has been really sick for a long time, so I'm guessing that's his mom and probably his dad. I think it's less that he doesn't care because we know he's been upset about his mom being sick, and more that it's been going on so long he's resigned to it and used to it. It's become his normal background that he just has to live in.

It's still a weird strip because I'm not sure why the super prolonged glance back ending it out, maybe it'd read better in sequence, idk.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gonna be honest: I can't keep track of anything in that comic. I don't think I ever learned anybody's name, and if I did, I'd forgotten it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tie.jpg

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

This whole time this was a Starlord origin story

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Zereth posted:

Gonna be honest: I can't keep track of anything in that comic. I don't think I ever learned anybody's name, and if I did, I'd forgotten it.
I can remember the characters by their designs but remembering anything specific about any character is a lost cause. I'm fine with it as a slice of life vibes comic, but it moves so glacially slowly that stuff like this falls flat because you've long since forgotten the info that was supposed to be building up to it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Alternate title: The Turtle Helmet Stays On During Sex
YOU DID THIS, YOU MOTHERFUCKER

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Jujutsu had been a thing in the west for decades by this point, especially in the military. I clearly remember a Fibber McGee and Molly radio show joke around this time about Wallace Wimple's "big old wife" teaching it to the Marines, and next to Nancy you can't get more mainstream than that during the 1940s.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 28, 1935)

Peanuts (August 18, 1976)

Crankshaft, featuring the smile of a man who has doomed humanity with an exploding grill.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, featuring what pro wrestling fans call "firing the overbooking torpedoes". (March 20, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 27-29, 1942)

Even playtime goes on war footing. Which one gets to be the bull of the woods?

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 16, 2023

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

theironjef posted:

I don't even get the discount for car insurance from being an Eagle Scout anymore.

Wait, that's a thing we can get?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Looking forward to Popeye KO punching that guy again when he wakes up mid cheat. :haw:

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

sometimes the very dorky brand of writing for sally forth falls so flat

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Take a closer look at that snout!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvemPyOJZEY

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Bardiche Hotel

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Good luck Ronan.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

rudy it's very rude to offer your unsolicited opinions on if someone is passing or not.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I sure am glad we got to read however many weeks it's been of teenage girls moralizing about looking at a boy instead of these camping stories!

Tiggum posted:

:same:

I'm always glad to not be reading a comic strip about Gunther.

Wait... you weren't being ironic were you? You don't actually want to see more of Gunther, surely?

Listen, gang. When it comes to Luann, there's nobody there that you actually want to see.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Listen, gang. When it comes to Luann, there's nobody there that you actually want to see.

Luann

Why is he pissed? It’s not even his van.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Why is he pissed? It’s not even his van.

The car bomb failed to go off.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I get the feeling Al is about to try to punish these two consenting adults who are romantically interested in each other for *adjusts papers* possibly banging out of wedlock and a white man being attracted to a colored woman.

I'm sure at one point the dumbass boomer writing Al thought he had relatable parenting concerns.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/2-4/51

Archie 12/1-3/47

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011