Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zarin posted:

Kinda what I was thinking it might be, thanks!

I told him to ask for a copy of the video; I suspect most places can provide that. When I had it done to my old house, I didn't think to ask and they didn't offer. (I DID get a report that said all the pipes looked to be in good condition aside from one small area with root intrusion, but yeah)

I think the video is a standard expected deliverable now that the scopes simply write it to an SD card with an overlay showing how far the scope is extended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My old house has been on the market for about a month now and I've only gotten a single offer, which was a mega lowball offer from an investment firm, and that was after I had the listing price lowered.

I'm getting increasingly anxious about this. I can afford my new mortgage on my new house and it taking a while to sell isn't gonna ruin my life or anything, but I'm still feeling a lot of stress here.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm in rural America, but houses here have had their prices fall dramatically the last 6 months.

Great if you are buying, if you are selling... Yikes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My old house has been on the market for about a month now and I've only gotten a single offer, which was a mega lowball offer from an investment firm, and that was after I had the listing price lowered.
Quite bluntly, if you've only gotten one offer and that one's from a speculator, your asking price is too high. If you didn't do the listing yourself, ask your agent for comparable sales, and see how comparable they are.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Do most people just not put in offers below asking? I did several, including on the house i bought.

We did do comps but seems like all the comparable houses just sold months ago and prices are falling, I guess.

I think it's also not helping that the road the house is on is currently mega under construction, which of course started like a week before I listed it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Do most people just not put in offers below asking? I did several, including on the house i bought.

We did do comps but seems like all the comparable houses just sold months ago and prices are falling, I guess.

Apparently not or not enough in your area. It's a huge red flag in my area when something is above market and still on the market. The longer it sits like the the bigger the red flag.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think it's also not helping that the road the house is on is currently mega under construction, which of course started like a week before I listed it.

While that may be a temporary condition, you're the one who gets to take the loss on that or pull your listing until they're done.

Speaking of red flags, put yourself in a buyer's shoes. You find this house, it looks like it's priced high, but maybe it's okay, you'll have to see it in person. Maybe if it's not quite everything you expect you'll put in a lower offer. So you do a drive-by before scheduling a showing and find a construction zone next door. You turn to your wife and say "NEXT!" and drive off to see the other(s) on your list, never giving that place a thought again.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Quite bluntly, if you've only gotten one offer and that one's from a speculator, your asking price is too high. If you didn't do the listing yourself, ask your agent for comparable sales, and see how comparable they are.

It's good advice, but it can be difficult to separate yourself from your emotional investment in your old house. When you look at the comps try not to dismiss them because there are small differences between your house and what your agent gives you. If your agent thinks they are comps, then the other buyer's agents will also think so too.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know it'll go eventually, I shot my realtor a text to get their thoughts.

I did a lot of intentional work to make sure my new place wouldn't break the bank even if the old place took a while to sell or went way below what my realtor was suggesting, I gave myself a lot of latitude here since my old place was completely paid off. Its just stressful sitting here waiting, feeling like there's basically nothing I can do.

And like, I can afford this mortgage but it pains me deeply to be paying the first months of a mortgage again where the payment is almost entirely interest. Love shoveling that money into a hole to disappear forever.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Its just stressful sitting here waiting, feeling like there's basically nothing I can do.

And like, I can afford this mortgage but it pains me deeply to be paying the first months of a mortgage again where the payment is almost entirely interest.

Read these two sentences again. Now think about the suggestions three different people have given you. How is it that your have "basically nothing to do"?

You need to make the house, next to a constructions zone, compelling to look at and offer on. You have one lever. You lower the price by X in order to move it before it costs you Y.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I meant nothing I can physically do aside from lowering the price (I have already reached out to my realtor on that and I'm waiting on them to get back to me).

Like, up until now my various financial goals have generally had concrete, actionable steps I can take to work toward them and here I'm pretty much just stuck twiddling my thumbs while I wait for showings and such. This house is already as set as it is going to be, aside from going down there once a week or so and keeping the lawn maintained it's really out of my hands at this point

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Closed my house on Monday, but the seller left the place with so much junk that we had to demand a last minute credit for junk hauling/cleaning the place.
Highlights from the final walkthrough:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Xyven posted:

Closed my house on Monday, but the seller left the place with so much junk that we had to demand a last minute credit for junk hauling/cleaning the place.

Not junk, housewarming gifts.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I would make things happen with that rack of pork in the freezer. Also congrats on your new pistol I guess.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
the seller left the means of their own undoing for you. their greatest weakness, being shot by a gun.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

No joke that pork shoulder and ribs are a gift

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Everything in that freezer is at least 2 years old, probably older

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You also got a pile of towels that you give absolutely zero poo poo about wrecking. I'd put the most absorbent looking ones somewhere as a "nasty spill cleanup reserve".

I would be beyond pissed about the firearm though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Xyven posted:

Everything in that freezer is at least 2 years old, probably older

I mean, I'd be wary just because you don't know if they ever let it thaw out, but if it's been frozen for the two years it's fine. The FDA says that storing at 0 degrees F (-18C) makes it good basically indefinitely, although if it's been in too long it can end up with crappier flavor or texture. Frankly I wouldn't even worry about that with something properly sealed like those ribs etc. are.

But, again, that's if it's meat that I knew the history. You don't want to let that stuff thaw during a power outage, for example, and stay warm for two days then re-freeze it.

I'd probably toss it too, but I'd feel pretty bad doing it.

Also congrats on the gun.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If our thread title wasn't so evergreen....

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > House-buying thread - Also congrats on the gun.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I would be beyond pissed about the firearm though.

Yeah the firearm would make me incredibly mad. I have two small kids and gently caress all that. Not secured, presumed loaded, at kid height? I'm mad for our intrepid homebuyer.

Speaking of dumb ideas - we close today.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I wouldn't trust Gary's meat.

In other news we have found that our Gary not only used rainbow glitter sparkle hot glue to seal the plumbing access panels shut upstairs but used the same glue all over the inside of the walls for ??? reasons. It's not actually visible anywhere normally. Before our guy came in and fixed the leak we had the upstairs bathroom would have water hammer every few times you flushed, maybe Gary was trying to stop that by gluing the pipes to the wall?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tristesse posted:

I wouldn't trust Gary's meat.

In other news we have found that our Gary not only used rainbow glitter sparkle hot glue to seal the plumbing access panels shut upstairs but used the same glue all over the inside of the walls for ??? reasons. It's not actually visible anywhere normally. Before our guy came in and fixed the leak we had the upstairs bathroom would have water hammer every few times you flushed, maybe Gary was trying to stop that by gluing the pipes to the wall?

You can't say this and not post a picture it's against the rules.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah the firearm would make me incredibly mad. I have two small kids and gently caress all that. Not secured, presumed loaded, at kid height? I'm mad for our intrepid homebuyer.

Speaking of dumb ideas - we close today.

It's beyond irresponsible for a whole host of reasons. Kids getting into it pretty obviously, but just in general it's not a good thing to let a gun go loose into the wild.

Frankly also a datapoint in how to deal with the meat since, you know, if someone's just leaving a gun in the kitchen drawer when they move out I'm not confident they took enough care to make sure the meat stayed frozen.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can shoot the meat with the gun. Load pepper bullets

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You can shoot the meat with the gun. Load pepper bullets

Custom hot loads, 8 grains and 50,000 scovilles.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

H110Hawk posted:

You can't say this and not post a picture it's against the rules.

I was advised against doing so for possible lawsuit reasons until we figure out for sure if the load bearing glitter glue is connected to the leak that destroyed our kitchen. I will once that is cleared up but it might be a while.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tristesse posted:

I was advised against doing so for possible lawsuit reasons until we figure out for sure if the load bearing glitter glue is connected to the leak that destroyed our kitchen. I will once that is cleared up but it might be a while.

Jesus. Is insurance trying to deny? Or are they the ones suing Gary? Bummer yo, hope it works out

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Xyven posted:

This was an estate sale, right? How do you "forget" to take your revolver? 50/50 that's a murder weapon or the PO's cause of death.

All I left behind when I sold my prior home was extra flooring material, color matched paint, a water meter key, and a stack of firewood that I knew the owner wanted. The house I subsequently purchased contained a few specific room keys, color matched paint, a water meter key, 3 tomato cages in the garden, and 2 cabinet faces in the garage. This is how it should be and I hope you got a large post-close credit.

Tristesse posted:

...we have found that our Gary not only used rainbow glitter sparkle hot glue to seal the plumbing access panels shut upstairs but used the same glue all over the inside of the walls for ??? reasons.

If you're going to go Full Gary, glitter glue is the correct choice.

Magicaljesus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 16, 2023

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Epitope posted:

Jesus. Is insurance trying to deny? Or are they the ones suing Gary? Bummer yo, hope it works out

Insurance wants to recover their losses from the previous owner since the glue may be evidence of an undisclosed but clearly known plumbing issue. Thankfully for us insurance isn't questioning our claim at all, just the "why the hell did they do this instead of fix it" nonsense from Gary.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tristesse posted:

Insurance wants to recover their losses from the previous owner since the glue may be evidence of an undisclosed but clearly known plumbing issue. Thankfully for us insurance isn't questioning our claim at all, just the "why the hell did they do this instead of fix it" nonsense from Gary.

That's a real good point on the lack of disclosure. Wow, sucks to be that Gary.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

advice to not be like gary duly noted

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Tristesse posted:

Glad to see Gary actually facing potential consequences from an entity with enough resources to pursue it professionally. A rare treat for us in this thread, even just the potential of it.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I dunno man. Gary is a human, insurance is a money monster. Not sure I'd wish them on my enemies. Or maybe I'm just too much of a glitter glue cowboy myself

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Epitope posted:

I dunno man. Gary is a human, insurance is a money monster. Not sure I'd wish them on my enemies. Or maybe I'm just too much of a glitter glue cowboy myself

Gary has insurance too in theory. That's really whose pockets they are after.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Epitope posted:

Gary misrepresented the thing he was selling to someone spending the most money they've likely ever spent in their lives on a thing that they need to shelter them. gently caress that Gary.

That's fraud, theft by deception.....something. That Gary can at least face civil penalties this way.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

Motronic posted:

Read these two sentences again. Now think about the suggestions three different people have given you. How is it that your have "basically nothing to do"?

You need to make the house, next to a constructions zone, compelling to look at and offer on. You have one lever. You lower the price by X in order to move it before it costs you Y.

I agree there's more than "basically nothing to do", but I think it's worth pointing out given what we've heard from OP about their financial situation, time is explicitly another lever. If you don't need to move the house now and you have good comps that suggest the house would be going higher if not for the local construction, then it might be the right answer to pull it from the market and relist later. It obviously doesn't feel great having it sit there sucking up money, but if you have a 3-4% a year carrying cost for property taxes/mortgage and it's maybe a 5-10% swing in home price, then financially it might make sense to pull and relist. That said: 1) you're taking on risk that the market goes down enough more, 2) you're taking on some risk that folks read the previous listing as an issue (local MLS rules govern how visible previous listing will be on Zillow/Redfin/etc.), and 3) in a lot of markets if you take the listing down now, it won't make sense to relist until Apr/May due to seasonality, so it's not without tradeoffs.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Motronic posted:

Gary misrepresented the thing he was selling to someone spending the most money they've likely ever spent in their lives on a thing that they need to shelter them. gently caress that Gary.

That's fraud, theft by deception.....something. That Gary can at least face civil penalties this way.

Preach! As much as I'd prefer the "recovery of ill-gotten gains to go to charity", I could live with "for-profit entity minimizes loss".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Did you miss the part about the new loan? They're servicing what is essentially an all-interest mortgage on their new place. It's going to be really difficult to justify the carrying cost. Especially for as long as you're talking about. The math just doesn't work without making some wildly optimistic assumptions.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Maybe he thought he fixed it and trusted his realtor to help write the disclosures? I'm not really trying to defend the guy, maybe empathise. Obviously it is Tristesse who got screwed, maybe by his negligence. Really where I'm at is, how do I disclose my poo poo when I sell? I don't want to be liable. God I hate home ownership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Epitope posted:

Maybe he thought he fixed it and trusted his realtor to help write the disclosures? I'm not really trying to defend the guy, maybe empathise. Obviously it is Tristesse who got screwed, maybe by his negligence. Really where I'm at is, how do I disclose my poo poo when I sell? I don't want to be liable. God I hate home ownership

You disclose truthfully. If you think that disclosure will hurt your sale price more than it costs to get a professional to fix it and an invoice to show it was done you hire that professional and get 'er done, disclose that it's done, prove it with the invoice.

Truth is easy.