Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Technowolf posted:

What if we made Generous Gift better?

Boy Within

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Technowolf posted:

What if we made Generous Gift better?

Doesn't hit lands.

E:

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Boring. I want to cast Brain Freeze for storm is 100. I don't know how I get there.

You probably can. Add Brain Freeze to the deck, cast High Tide, flash it back with Spectral Arcanist, then cast Whims of Volrath with Buyback an infinite number of times, targeting an Island each time to make a copy of an Island, building up your storm count and then Brain Freezing the table.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 16, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Boring. I want to cast Brain Freeze for storm is 100. I don't know how I get there.

Changed my mind. I'll just Thassa's Oracle and LabMan. Storm to 30 is much more achievable.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanna make the Commodore Guff deck good.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

If my commander is blue and gets put back in my hand can I put it in the command zone after I pitch it to Force of Will?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Changed my mind. I'll just Thassa's Oracle and LabMan. Storm to 30 is much more achievable.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/QAdcofNyn0ugO8g5pfdZNA
IDK what I'm doing.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mix. posted:

don't forget extort :kiddo:

Indeed! In fact there's an extort on one of the enter tapped enchantments but I can't remember which one because the names of all those white enchantments blur into one big virtuous absolution authority soup in my mind

If my commander is blue and gets put back in my hand can I put it in the command zone after I pitch it to Force of Will?

Yes, any time it changes zones you can move it to the command zone

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Khanstant posted:

Thinking about monoblack commander deck based around things like Painful Quandary. Sheoldred, Sir Konrad, come to mind. Just a deck of suffering and constantly punishing doing normal things. Enough in black alone to support this or should I look to expand a bit?

Maralen of the Mornsong with the search tax Ob Nixilis in the 99

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Maralen of the Mornsong with Opposition Agent in the 99

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Khanstant posted:

Thinking about monoblack commander deck based around things like Painful Quandary. Sheoldred, Sir Konrad, come to mind. Just a deck of suffering and constantly punishing doing normal things. Enough in black alone to support this or should I look to expand a bit?

You should definitely include white for stax.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My friend also runs a few of the white counterspells and they always catch me out

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Tarnop posted:

Indeed! In fact there's an extort on one of the enter tapped enchantments but I can't remember which one because the names of all those white enchantments blur into one big virtuous absolution authority soup in my mind

one of my favorite cards of all time is the cleric that gives all your creatures extort. yeah ill happily turn spare mana i couldnt use for anything else into a group drain, thanks :smugdog:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I mean yeah, but also bobby nickles nugs your opponent for 10 every turn

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks y'all, always trying to think of monothemes for a set I wanna make eventually. Some of these other options though seem more immediately playable and fun

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

There's also Konrad+Mindcrank for a potentially infinite combo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tarnop posted:

Yes, any time it changes zones you can move it to the command zone

Not any zone change (eg you can't put the commander back to the zone when it enters the battlefield), just hand/library/exile/graveyard.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's a good catch, my bad

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Mix. posted:

one of my favorite cards of all time is the cleric that gives all your creatures extort. yeah ill happily turn spare mana i couldnt use for anything else into a group drain, thanks :smugdog:

It's still kinda weird to me that extort doesn't change color identity. Mono-white drain!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Silhouette posted:

There's also Konrad+Mindcrank for a potentially infinite combo

Mindcrank + Bloodchief's Ascension for it to be guaranteed.

E:

https://twitter.com/karsten_frank/status/1691827465134473469/

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 16, 2023

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not any zone change (eg you can't put the commander back to the zone when it enters the battlefield), just hand/library/exile/graveyard.
It's also at instant speed? Or at least a player can't choose to move it while another spell is resolving, only after, which matters for things like Breach the Multiverse. Everyone mills 10, caster gets to take a creature/planeswalker from each gy. If a commander is milled it's a valid target, the owner can't exile it to the command zone and save it.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I got a Bloodchief Ascension in a CMM draft and have been running it for a couple weeks now. It's sort of at an odd spot, lower power tables see it and disproportionately freak out, higher power tables have the tools to remove it and it's not the game-ender it could be with wheels or other forced draw.

I still like it, but it's not quite what I thought it would be from reading it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

JawnV6 posted:

It's also at instant speed? Or at least a player can't choose to move it while another spell is resolving, only after, which matters for things like Breach the Multiverse. Everyone mills 10, caster gets to take a creature/planeswalker from each gy. If a commander is milled it's a valid target, the owner can't exile it to the command zone and save it.

It happens anytime a player would gain priority and does not use the stack. So yes if a commander was tucked into a library and left there and you cast Breach the multiverse they wouldn’t get to react because nobody gains priority during a spells resolution.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Batterypowered7 posted:

E:

https://twitter.com/karsten_frank/status/1691827465134473469/

https://twitter.com/karsten_frank/status/1691833293799350620

someone goofed up the files, seems like.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There were similar goofs in the LoTR set too.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I want to put a Wicked Role on Ash so she can be your Bad Cinderella.

While I am slowly spray painting the word "bad" my garbage deck will lose, but failure is on brand.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

I’m incredibly nervous and excited to play my Umbris Fear Manifest deck I put together tonight. It’s the first deck I’ve built besides tweaking pre-cons and it lost last week though I didn’t have all the singles I ordered from TCG yet.

By next week, I’ll have Oblivion Sower and Web of Inertia to ramp and provide some safety. I have most of the staples covered but does anyone run Umbris that has suggestions?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Secret Machine posted:

I’m incredibly nervous and excited to play my Umbris Fear Manifest deck I put together tonight. It’s the first deck I’ve built besides tweaking pre-cons and it lost last week though I didn’t have all the singles I ordered from TCG yet.

By next week, I’ll have Oblivion Sower and Web of Inertia to ramp and provide some safety. I have most of the staples covered but does anyone run Umbris that has suggestions?

Not sure what the staples are, necessarily, but things like Praetor's Grasp, Gonti, and Opposition Agent might let you increase the number of cards in exile while possibly sniping something saucy out of their decks. There's also all the Eldrazi with Ingest and Sire of Stagnation if you wanted something big that both draws you cards and exiles theirs.

E:

Leyline of the Void seems like an easy include, if you don't already have it. Nihil Spellbomb can let you eat a big graveyard and draw you a card. Unlicensed Hearse is a good way to keep graveyards empty, exile piles full, and can beat in a pinch. Oh, and can't forget Dauthi Voidwalker.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 16, 2023

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Not sure what the staples are, necessarily, but things like Praetor's Grasp, Gonti, and Opposition Agent might let you increase the number of cards in exile while possibly sniping something saucy out of their decks. There's also all the Eldrazi with Ingest and Sire of Stagnation if you wanted something big that both draws you cards and exiles theirs.

E:

Leyline of the Void seems like an easy include, if you don't already have it. Nihil Spellbomb can let you eat a big graveyard and draw you a card. Unlicensed Hearse is a good way to keep graveyards empty, exile piles full, and can beat in a pinch. Oh, and can't forget Dauthi Voidwalker.

Thank you! Nihil spell bomb and sire of stagnation in my deck now. Waiting on dauthi voidwalker and leyline of the void to arrive for more graveyard hate.

Unlicensed hearse looks very interesting. My main uphill battle is casting Umbris makes me public enemy number one at the table so I have some protection artifacts for him but might include propaganda.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Secret Machine posted:

Thank you! Nihil spell bomb and sire of stagnation in my deck now. Waiting on dauthi voidwalker and leyline of the void to arrive for more graveyard hate.

Unlicensed hearse looks very interesting. My main uphill battle is casting Umbris makes me public enemy number one at the table so I have some protection artifacts for him but might include propaganda.

Jester's Cap and Sadistic Sacrament if you want to remove the best three cards out of someone's deck.

E:

Mnemonic Betrayal to make Umbris huge for one turn? Lol

E2:

All flavors of Ashiok, maybe?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Floppychop posted:

There were similar goofs in the LoTR set too.

Yeah all those green lands

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Played my upgraded Eldrazi precon and the deck is gross as hell. You pretty much have to kill zhulodok on sight.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Jester's Cap and Sadistic Sacrament if you want to remove the best three cards out of someone's deck.

E:

Mnemonic Betrayal to make Umbris huge for one turn? Lol

E2:

All flavors of Ashiok, maybe?

Yes I have all the Ashioks in the deck and I almost put jesters cap in. Maybe I will. ImLost both 5 player pods tonight to Uril the Miststalker and Tatsunari Toad rider.

Initial deck impressions are good. One shotted a player with a 27/27 commander damage Umbris but both games I kept pulling nothing but lands and had no blockers.

Gotta get Web of Inertia in my deck to shut down creatures attacking me and might be more patient playing Umbris until I have Swiftfoot boots or whispersilk cloak to attach to him for protection.

Also, had an amazing opening hand round 2 with Island > Sol Ring > Spellskite which immediately angered the table lol

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

E2M2 posted:

Played my upgraded Eldrazi precon and the deck is gross as hell. You pretty much have to kill zhulodok on sight.

The new Eldrazi unleashed one?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Secret Machine posted:

yeeeeeears ago I had this guy as my commander and he might serve you well in the 99 as just incidental exile triggers that could possibly be a silver bullet if you exile something funny like an arcane signet or whatever

this guy is expensive but he hits 3 a turn and lets you grab permanents at any point if the value of the permanent outweighs the commander buff

there's also this one as an extra source of exiling your opponent's poo poo at a really good value; the initiative/dungeon stuff is less likely to happen but if you hang onto the initiative it could end up being a lategame source of grinding your opponents down :v:

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Secret Machine posted:

The new Eldrazi unleashed one?

Yeah, double cascade is just super gross

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

E2M2 posted:

Post is worthless without the decklist!

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Mix. posted:

yeeeeeears ago I had this guy as my commander and he might serve you well in the 99 as just incidental exile triggers that could possibly be a silver bullet if you exile something funny like an arcane signet or whatever

this guy is expensive but he hits 3 a turn and lets you grab permanents at any point if the value of the permanent outweighs the commander buff

there's also this one as an extra source of exiling your opponent's poo poo at a really good value; the initiative/dungeon stuff is less likely to happen but if you hang onto the initiative it could end up being a lategame source of grinding your opponents down :v:

First two are staples for Umbris decks but I haven’t gotten them yet. Now that Ravenloft Rogue could definitely have some gas. Completing dungeons with my Party Time deck has won me a couple games and this card reminds me of a Guiltfeeder that does damage off exiled card instead of graveyard cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Secret Machine posted:

First two are staples for Umbris decks but I haven’t gotten them yet. Now that Ravenloft Rogue could definitely have some gas. Completing dungeons with my Party Time deck has won me a couple games and this card reminds me of a Guiltfeeder that does damage off exiled card instead of graveyard cards.

There's also Rogue Class to make all your creatures exile when they deal combat damage to a player.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, I've been trying to spruce up a couple old commander decks to play casually at my LGS. 2 of my most complete decks right now are Scion of the Ur-Dragon, and... Brion Stoutarm.

Scion is a pretty linear deck, since you're constantly tutoring dragons into the graveyard, so I want to make sure its not going to be too un-fun to play against. I'm also kinda keeping it budget so the manabase is awful. I have a few shock lands and a triome or 2, a couple random fetch lands, and a lot of the nonbasic lands come into play tapped. The mana rocks are mostly guild signets from OG ravnica and sol ring. Ancient Copper Dragon is 50 goddamn dollars. My deck doesn't have any combo stuff really.

Currently, my dragon toolkit includes the OG kamigawa dragons that do fun things when they die
Utvara Hellkite - currently the only thing that makes dragon tokens so I need this early and need it to not die
Balefire Dragon - boardwipe
Quicksilver Dragon - Don't touch my commander please
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund - in case anyone else has dragons (how dare they) also giving everything I mass-reanimate haste
Numot, The devastator - looking to replace him because people get weird about land destruction, but considering he can only do 2 a turn, I'd mostly want to deal with utility lands or man lands
Dragon Tyrant - Double strike, can kill people.
Dromar, the Banisher - selective boardwipe, kinda eh on him.
Atarka, World Render - Double strike, but for everyone!
Dragonlord Ojutai - hexproof for my commander
Bladewing the Risen - reanimate. Currently no combo or anything with him.
Scourge of Kher Ridges - selective boardwipe
Steel Hellkite - extremely selective boardwipe
Teneb, the Harvester - reanimation
Hellkite Overlord - he big
Hellkite Charger - need a savage ventmaw or khamal's will or something to go infinite.

Other than dragons, I have a bunch of ramp/fixing, some utility like Mirari's Wake, Temur Ascendancy, Fires of Yavimaya, Lightning Greaves, 9 reanimation spells, and a bunch of boardwipes and targeted removal. I kinda want to throw some hexproof in there, like Heroic Intervention, and some countermagic, like 1 counterspell and 1 negate at least.

I know there's room for improvement, but I don't want to improve it too much, and I'm not gonna add like, $50 or even $30 cards unless I already have them. If I was gonna buy some more cards for this, I'd maybe want Ancient Silver Dragon (kinda expensive, but good enough that I might), Miirym, Lathliss, . I'm also wondering if I should add something like Worldgorger Dragon combo or something or if that would be too powerful (for reference I have no idea how people determine power levels for edh decks). I'll also work on getting my current list posted online so I can link to it.

But mostly just looking for advice on what stuff to avoid ( is too powerful/unfun) when I'm playing with people I don't know.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Grasp of Fate on the bonus sheet for Eldraine with new art. I can finally get a foil copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Post is worthless without the decklist!

Take the precon decklist and swap the lovely lands and creatures for better ones, that's it