Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Everyone posted:

Even LDS showed what happens when a human person gets shot with a starship phaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsEyok6poRc&ab_channel=StarTrekFriendly

Both of the cartoon shows go super hard every chance they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Sudden, shockingly grotesque violence is the most TNG thing of all.

Also I love in that clip when they have the flash back the badmiral is wearing the TNG style uniform:allears: I just love that about that era of star trek, so much can be said by what uniform someone is wearing

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like the approach Wrath of Khan took to the phasers, they’re not instantaneous like speed-of-light weapons would be but they’re sorta halfway between a bullet and a beam, like the ships are spitting electric fire.

The other TOS movies are basically all torpedoes for whatever reason but it was a nice approach.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Warthur posted:

My biggest bugbear about the end of the season was... why didn't Picard and the gang even consider calling Jurati? If you have a Borg problem and a friendly Borg Queen you're on good terms with who practices Risk-Aware Consensual Assimilation, don't you think she might have some handy advice to offer? Sure, she's supposedly guarding a place from some stuff... but they put in long-distance calls to all sorts of people over the course of this season, that doesn't seem to be a problem for them. You couldn't send a quick e-mail to your Borg BFF in a time like this, gang? Weird.

I was thinking the same thing, and I am absolutely certain that the answer is "because Terry Matalas didn't know or care that Jurati survived the S2 and is the dominant part of the new Queen". Again proving that the hack simply does not understand how implications or consistency in writing works.

They even make a point of saying in Season 2 that Borg Queens can hear each other across galaxies and even timelines, so there is no way Jurati would not know about the huge Borg cube hiding inside Jupiter's upper athmosphere.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

I was thinking the same thing, and I am absolutely certain that the answer is "because Terry Matalas didn't know or care that Jurati survived the S2 and is the dominant part of the new Queen". Again proving that the hack simply does not understand how implications or consistency in writing works.

They even make a point of saying in Season 2 that Borg Queens can hear each other across galaxies and even timelines, so there is no way Jurati would not know about the huge Borg cube hiding inside Jupiter's upper athmosphere.

The only way Picard Season 3 makes any sense is if you just assume that Season 1, Season 2, and Season 3 are three alternate "What If...?" branching paths that start from the same point of origin (Picard just chilling at this villa enjoying retirement with Laris) and each is a self-contained story universe depending on what your taste is: a slapdash galaxy-spanning adventure show, a slapdash time travel mystery show, or a slapdash fifth TNG movie that somehow takes 10 hours to finish.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Can't wait for tomorrow's episode to show how Pike deals with the Gorn ambush and the capture of his crew. It's been a long week, imagine how bad it would be to wait longer for this resolution.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't believe Pike used the corbomite maneuver on the gorn, except corbomite was real for some reason!? It's like they didn't even watch the original

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I can't believe Pike used the corbomite maneuver on the gorn, except corbomite was real for some reason!? It's like they didn't even watch the original

Right? When M'Benga prescribed Sam Kirk an entire hypospray of cordrazine as a sleep aid and muscle relaxant I was like... did the writers watch the same TOS I did?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
You ever seen any supermans around in Star Trek? No, of course not, because of all the corbomite. Checkmate.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Penitent posted:

Right? When M'Benga prescribed Sam Kirk an entire hypospray of cordrazine as a sleep aid and muscle relaxant I was like... did the writers watch the same TOS I did?

M'Benga invented Space Ivermectin.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I seem to recall the EU books had a post-Borg War event where Andoria withdrew from the Federation, in large part because of the incredible casualties they suffered as a species

I didn't read any of the those books, but IIRC it came up in the Titan books.

Those books also leaned hard on the weird 'Andorians have four genders' (two male, two female) and all take part in bringing a single Andorian to term, which I believe came from a throwaway line from Data in TNG about how Andorians get married in pairs. With as complicated a process as that must be it's no wonder Andorian had a problem with casualties.

Those books also saw Ezri of all people become this hard-charging ship's captain which was funny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Those books also leaned hard on the weird 'Andorians have four genders' (two male, two female) and all take part in bringing a single Andorian to term, which I believe came from a throwaway line from Data in TNG about how Andorians get married in pairs. With as complicated a process as that must be it's no wonder Andorian had a problem with casualties.

The four gender thing hasn't officially made its way into canon but lower decks has worked in some of the elements; like Jennifer Sh'reyan's surname starting with sh' was one of the four gender indicators that go on Andorian surnames.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Part of the reason that Andoria briefly left the Federation was because they found out that Starfleet had discovered a potential cure for their genetic issues but kept it from them. Later Dr Bashir goes rogue to help them out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah there was a tie-in with the Vanguard series there

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

It's been 24 years since Deep Space Nine ended and we still haven't had a Star Trek show that was to the TOS as TNG was to the original.

Another crew, moving forward the timeline. And no, the time-travel crew from before the TOS era in the so-far-in-the-future-it-won't-be-canon gambit of Discovery doesn't count.

The only solution is to jump to 2440, pretend it's a TNG sequel but ignore and never mention any prior canon, and just have an Enterprise (no bloody H) with a new crew encountering new stories every week. Maybe have a Romulan in a Worf-ish role and something iterative in the Spock/Data role.

Basically Strange New Worlds with no familiar names, which is why they won't do it (for now/ever).

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Szmitten posted:

Basically Strange New Worlds with no familiar names, which is why they won't do it (for now/ever).

The bean counters will point to Disco and say, "We tried that! Fans hated it! They want the old crew!"

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
TNG writers: "We want to keep references to TOS at a minimum, so that our show can stand on its own"

Disco writers: "What if we made our main character Spock's adopted sister?"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also TNG writers: we're on our, what, third episode? Let's do a TOS episode remake.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Set it in the lovely part of Enterprise-J City.

This is dope what's the purple part?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

This is dope what's the purple part?

Deflector dish.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was really hoping it did something cool like be a blacklight for spore network lint

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MikeJF posted:

Set it in the lovely part of Enterprise-J City.

This is a better interpretation of the J than most I've seen. What's the origin?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Rodenberry Archive Enterprise timeline that let you explore all the bridges and stuff, it was up for like a week and then went down. I think the internet melted it and also there might've been some legal tugging.

Personally I think that interpretation would be better if the hull section that wraps around the front and tapers to the back were opaque and the saucer transparent.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The Rodenberry Archive Enterprise timeline that let you explore all the bridges and stuff, it was up for like a week and then went down. I think the internet melted it and also there might've been some legal tugging.

Personally I think that interpretation would be better if the hull section that wraps around the front and tapers to the back were opaque and the saucer transparent.

That would be great, and if the bridge wasn't still present, as at that scale it looks silly having the bridge still be a dome in the middle. It should be at the front of that hull section and less distinct.

Also the pylons are too thin and weak looking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

That would be great, and if the bridge wasn't still present, as at that scale it looks silly having the bridge still be a dome in the middle. It should be at the front of that hull section and less distinct.

Also the pylons are too thin and weak looking.

That's not meant to be just a bridge, it's a kind of central dome. I think it's probably meant to be, like, the entire command crew complex.

The pylons being thin is meant to imply that it's so far beyond us that traditional ideas of strength are irrelevant.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 16, 2023

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

That's not meant to be just a bridge, it's a kind of central dome. I think it's probably meant to be, like, the entire command complex.

The pylons being thin is meant to imply that it's so far beyond us that traditional ideas of strength are irrelevant.

That makes the dome better, but I just think the pylons looks aesthetically ugly.

The idea is fine as a futuristic representation of how far we've come, but I just think it looks silly.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, seems kind of lopsided or top (saucer) heavy to me, but that might just be the angle of the picture

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A lot of it's meant to be taking ideas from the Enterprise-D to even further conclusions, including the massive, wide ovoid saucer that's a city in space.

The perspective there is still pretty extreme: here's some shots of the old solid-hull take which has the same physical shape:

Personally I prefer the shape of Drex's first proposal but they were told to make it more NX-01-ish

Keep in mind this thing was designed in, like, two days. The first pass model above was 'bashed out in a matter of hours'. They did not get a proper chance, it was thrown together out of a few ideas. The most detailed drawing concepts was this

ENT ran the FX teams to the bone and took massive advantage of the fact that they were dedicated enough trekkies and artists that they'd often do way too much extra work for free in their own time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 16, 2023

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Part of the reason that Andoria briefly left the Federation was because they found out that Starfleet had discovered a potential cure for their genetic issues but kept it from them. Later Dr Bashir goes rogue to help them out.

Wasn't there also something about how their first solution was to make a bunch of transporter clones of their people ala Riker and they didn't want the Federation to find out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

A lot of it's meant to be taking ideas from the Enterprise-D to even further conclusions, including the massive, wide ovoid saucer that's a city in space.

The perspective there is still pretty extreme: here's some shots of the old solid-hull take which has the same physical shape:

It's also meant to be an extreme future incarnation of the NX-01, as it follows the 90s Trek philosophy that the hero ship of each show kind of sets the design template for their contemporary Starfleet companions, like how everything in TNG kind of looks like the Galaxy, everything in Voyager kind of looks like the Intrepid, and everything in the movies kind of looks like the Sovereign. In this case it's got the same "only saucer, no secondary" style that the NX-01 has where it is just a saucer and a pair of warp nacelles.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Parkingtigers posted:

You ever seen any supermans around in Star Trek? No, of course not, because of all the corbomite. Checkmate.

The only way to beat the Corbomite maneuver will be with the Dolemite maneuver. Basically I want an M'Benga episode where he's high on Orion hurricanes and anti-Klingon meth.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MikeJF posted:

there might've been some legal tugging.

RIP Paul Reubens

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Seemlar posted:

The big failing of the Federation that it raises, it turning it's back on the Romulans, isn't even it's story - that's back story that took fifteen years earlier.

Except the Federation did that because of 9/11 On Mars, which was done by the Zhat Vash, a devilsh secret police with agents embedded throughout a refugee population and infiltrating the corridors of power, driven by cultish adherence to a message they didn't even understand correctly.

The story of season 1 is that almost every bad circumstance in anyone's life has something to do with the machinations of the Zhat Vash

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Except Shaw briefly refers to Jurati's collective in one of his rants, so someone in that writers' room remembered she existed. And Terry co-showran S2! He was there, he was involved in the decisions and everything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Wasn't there also something about how their first solution was to make a bunch of transporter clones of their people ala Riker and they didn't want the Federation to find out.
I don’t remember that at all

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If I were Andorian I'd probably want to leave the Federation too since for all Andor is a founding member of the Federation, which is made up of hundreds of species, it sure seems to just be "the Earth Federation: starring humans". Even the Vulcans know the score, they have their own official non-federation Vulcan ships that seem to be all they give a poo poo about.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, the Federation's a great deal, the humans swarm around putting themselves at all the risk to defend you and keep you and your space safe and you get all the science benefits from a hundred species worth of ongoing advancement and massive aid if you ever need it and you don't have to participate much at all if you don't want to. And if you want you can keep your own ships driving around doing things too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Warthur posted:

Except Shaw briefly refers to Jurati's collective in one of his rants, so someone in that writers' room remembered she existed. And Terry co-showran S2! He was there, he was involved in the decisions and everything.

Terry bailed on Season 2 after like 3 episodes, so Season 2 was actually mostly Akiva Goldsman's baby, but then he also bailed on it to go help Henry Alonso Myers launch Strange New Worlds, so actually nobody showran Season 2 when you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Terry bailed on Season 2 after like 3 episodes, so Season 2 was actually mostly Akiva Goldsman's baby, but then he also bailed on it to go help Henry Alonso Myers launch Strange New Worlds, so actually nobody showran Season 2 when you think about it.
And it shows!