Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Lister posted:

Madison's story is the kind of bombshell information that can be discovered by interviewing current or former employees. If GN had reached out to her for her story, even anonymously, it would have been so much more affective than pulling quotes out of context. That's the kind of investigation I wish they'd done. Maybe they'll talk to a lot of people for a follow up video, but I worry that unless it's put in a video by a major channel that it's going to be unseen by the larger youtube audience.
lmao, just stop posting at this point. if GN did dig into former employees you'd be a thousand times more upset about them causing drama, instead they stuck to public statements which was too much for you to even comprehend

anyway i wonder if GN shelved the other video they were working on about LMG's companies which would have delved into this after the Madison bombshell dropped. they have to be careful about how they address this going forward without causing her more trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god give it the gently caress up dude

if GN had actually done that you'd be in here whining about how Madison's situation was unrelated to problems with video production quality

And that the people they interviewed were rogue/disgruntled employees who couldn't hack it in the paradise that is LTT who are lying to make their bones

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lister posted:

Madison's story is the kind of bombshell information that can be discovered by interviewing current or former employees. If GN had reached out to her for her story, even anonymously, it would have been so much more affective than pulling quotes out of context. That's the kind of investigation I wish they'd done. Maybe they'll talk to a lot of people for a follow up video, but I worry that unless it's put in a video by a major channel that it's going to be unseen by the larger youtube audience.

gently caress off.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm sure you guys are aware that they also have employees 'volunteer' to pose as models for all their clothes including underwear

I made the image small on purpose, but the thumbnails on the left are of regular employees. I always found this troublesome because even though they're volunteers there can obviously be pressure to be a team player. And it's not outside photographers doing the shots, it's the in house team. All this to save a few bucks by not hiring actual models.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Lister posted:

I feel like if Steve did that the goalposts would be moved here because the argument would now be “why is tech news doing social justice, how unprofessional”

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Lister posted:

Oh for fucks sake, just drop the GN stuff.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm sure you guys are aware that they also have employees 'volunteer' to pose as models for all their clothes including underwear

I made the image small on purpose, but the thumbnails on the left are of regular employees. I always found this troublesome because even though they're volunteers there can obviously be pressure to be a team player. And it's not outside photographers doing the shots, it's the in house team. All this to save a few bucks by not hiring actual models.
how does this keep getting worse

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lister posted:

What is wrong with you

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

There is still plenty of room to get worse, after all they have a literal kill count.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

There is still plenty of room to get worse, after all they have a literal kill count.

a m-m-multikill at that!

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay is Ian Cuttress affiliated with LTT in some way because the man is still repping for Linus through all this - even promoted the apology video as being good

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691813076561952777?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

we (or at least some of us) have known for a while that they use employees to model their apparel, it's just taken on an odder, more uncomfortable turn given recent information placing the company environment in a different light

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Lister posted:

Please, just stop.

It takes a certain kind of journalistic background to be able to do an investigation like that carefully, sensitively and ethically, and is so outside of the purview of GN that it's obvious to everyone in this thread besides you why they haven't done so and why that's absolutely fine in context. GN are great but they're a bunch of hardware people who know a lot about testing computer parts, and the product-orientated workflows of tech companies, and when they talk about ethics it's almost always about the relationship between companies, their marketing, and their customers. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen a sign from Steve that he has the investigative journalism background or training to navigate working with a whistleblower on publishing serious allegations of sexual and emotional abuse.
They're not The Guardian, they do not have the governance framework to break a story like Madison's ethically and safely and I'm glad that they didn't tbh.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 16, 2023

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay is Ian Cuttress affiliated with LTT in some way because the man is still repping for Linus through all this - even promoted the apology video as being good

🤔

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691813076561952777?s=20

/e,fb

kalleth posted:

fwiw Ian C did an immediate about-face once Madison started posting, and has been defending her without question since:

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691716067595280669

Right after posting that though, he's pimping the apology video.

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691769776853463108?s=20

Lister posted:

Upon reading Madison's tweets I was thinking of maybe making a joke post like "I hope GN interviews her so it can have some credibility" but decided that would be in poor taste. JFC you are eternally broken

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 16, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Never watched much LTT (reading through this drama I'm glad), but I always thought Anthony seemed like a cool guy. I hope he's moved on to bigger and better things.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Never watched much LTT (reading through this drama I'm glad), but I always thought Anthony seemed like a cool guy. I hope he's moved on to bigger and better things.

Anthony is in the process of transitioning and is now known as Emily. She/they still work for the channel as far as I'm aware?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lister posted:

:getout:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Lister posted:

I know the forum motto is :justpost: but for the love of God just loving stop.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Thanks! I don't mind semi-reasonable courier/shipping charges in general (shipping in general just ain't cheap anymore), I just don't like surprises due after you've paid for it and shipping and the courier holds it ransom for some "customs processing fee" or something like that. DHL and UPS are known to do that. I'd like to buy something from GN :3:

If you end up ordering something let us know the shipping costs! I have also considered getting stuff from there, mostly the desk mat and coasters.

Also my god it just keeps getting worse, but I can't say I'm surprised. Linus just seems like a deeply unserious, juvenile person and that would definitely affect the rest of the organization.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Lister posted:

Yes, Gamers Nexus, hosted by Steve. The perfect outlet for an exposé on LMG's toxic behaviour towards women.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

Anthony is in the process of transitioning and is now known as Emily. She/they still work for the channel as far as I'm aware?

Edit: This was in really bad taste.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

Please, just stop.

It takes a certain kind of journalistic background to be able to do an investigation like that carefully, sensitively and ethically. GN are great but they're a bunch of hardware people who know a lot about testing computer parts, and the product-orientated workflows of tech companies, and when they talk about ethics it's almost always about the relationship between companies, their marketing, and their customers. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen a sign from Steve that he has the investigative journalism background or training to navigate working with a whistleblower on publishing serious allegations of sexual and emotional abuse.

Steve has taken training on journalistic integrity but it's for his reviews and working with companies. Nothing like what's happened with Madison.

I've noted this in the thread before, but there's hints in a lot of GN videos to formalizing and certifying review methodology, getting their tools authenticated and regulated, and tons of official certificates that speak to how prepared Steve is to get things right about the various kinds of testing they're doing and making sure GN is buttoned up legally if someone goes after them for a bad review. Someone who's putting that kind of time, money, and effort in also knows to keep his nose out of what he's not prepared to do.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Grumbles posted:

Bring Emily and Mac Address guy over to GN and I’d watch nothing else :allears:

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
The Madison bombshell is like miles above worse than the waterblock scandal and this should be a channel ending 1-2 punch. Unsubbed from floatplane yesterday. gently caress Linus. Either the staff should unionize and democratically address the poo poo that's going on or LMG should be shut down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Emily came out as a trans woman earlier this year, but also announced she'd be taking a step back from a public-facing role for what should be understandable reasons

I do wish her the best

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

priznat posted:

If you end up ordering something let us know the shipping costs! I have also considered getting stuff from there, mostly the desk mat and coasters.

Also my god it just keeps getting worse, but I can't say I'm surprised. Linus just seems like a deeply unserious, juvenile person and that would definitely affect the rest of the organization.

The shipping costs are pretty high; I’ve ordered various things from GN over the last few years to support them, but they also are actually packaging everything still themselves (one time I even got a thank you note from Steve), so to me it’s basically akin to giving them further support for their testing/etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SourKraut posted:

e: deleted.

Don't loving do this poo poo.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 16, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

Oh, so that's the transphobia that's been going on at LMG headquarters. I've been completely out of the loop on this.

e: I wish her the best also. Sounds like she's had to deal with some real assholes at that place.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

buglord posted:

Yeah, this would be great, at least I hope. From the GN videos I have watched that involve some of the testing/background staff, they all seem genuinely pretty decent?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Lister posted:

Nixon: (Muttering) Jesus loving Christ…

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Arivia posted:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Arivia posted:

I deleted it. I was honestly not trying to make a joke at her expense but rather use it to point to how horrible LTT is and such, but it was in very bad taste so it’s gone.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

buglord posted:

I hope they both come out of this unscathed. Didn't the Mac Address guys have their own channel before? They should just go back to doing their own thing. Emily should start her own channel dedicated to Linux and retro gaming, I'd watch the poo poo out of this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I saw that. We don't specifically know it's about Emily, we don't know how much if any transphobia Emily is facing in the workplace, and we certainly don't need a goon making lovely transphobic jokes to keep going along with the dogpile.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Arivia posted:

I saw that. We don't specifically know it's about Emily, we don't know how much if any transphobia Emily is facing in the workplace, and we certainly don't need a goon making lovely transphobic jokes to keep going along with the dogpile.

Fair enough. I didn't take it as SourKraut making a joke, but pointing out Linus is a horrible person who makes those kinds of jokes.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Fair enough. I didn't take it as SourKraut making a joke, but pointing out Linus is a horrible person who makes those kinds of jokes.

Yeah, I deleted it; it was me trying to point out that Linus has already defended some of their response actions/statements as it being part of their culture, but I phrased it horribly and it’s gone.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

buglord posted:

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, this would be great, at least I hope. From the GN videos I have watched that involve some of the testing/background staff, they all seem genuinely pretty decent?

I think it's in everyone's collective interest that Steve from GN is kept as far as possible from anything Apple. Imagine. The closed systems. The sacrificing of raw power in exchange for tasteful design. Laptops with literally no airflow. The poorly labelled charts in their product launches. The anti-market business practices. CPU's that still somehow run more efficiently than anything else on the market despite all the above. It'd be too much for him.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

how do they keep coming up with the worst responses:

given how this entire thing has been handled how can you reliably say you were never told to keep proprietary information private?!

We didn't know we shouldn't share our 3rd party business communications publicly, you never told us not to.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I bet Emily is feeling they dodged a Mario bros sized bullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Weaponized Autism posted:

I hope they both come out of this unscathed. Didn't the Mac Address guys have their own channel before? They should just go back to doing their own thing. Emily should start her own channel dedicated to Linux and retro gaming, I'd watch the poo poo out of this.

Yeah he has his own channel but last I remember Linus is in the credits as one of the producers? Citation needed. I don’t know anything about him personally other than his “guy who likes apple stuff” public persona, but I hope his little fiefdom is isolated from all this, and hopefully not gravely intertwined in workplace drama/literal harassment