Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Having a poster in the background is not as bad as getting killed by Sergio Carpenter in the old Romero House imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Bring back Ghost Viewers

https://youtu.be/Zdwq3jdvZDI

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

If anything it's more realistic nowadays for kids to have weirder, more obscure interests with how available so many things are. Perhaps 2020s period horror will have kids who are really into Columbo.

Then again we can't all be my partner's best friend who had a film history buff father. It is a running gag to gently clown on his childhood because no normal six year old has a favorite Marx Brothers movie.

Duck Soup.

Is that weird? My parents had to explain some of the references but me and my sisters loved the Marx Brothers when we were kids.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Duck Soup.

Is that weird? My parents had to explain some of the references but me and my sisters loved the Marx Brothers when we were kids.

Duck Soup is a great choice!

I don't think it's weird necessarily, just some gentle ribbing since our friend didn't have any normal kid movies or shows growing up and would only watch classics and silent films because that's all his parents would show him. He also didn't have a cell phone until his mid-20s. He's a giant eccentric and also the best.

I think having weird niche things you like as a kid is an important part of being a kid. There was a sense of pride in being the only kid in my class who subscribed to Shonen Jump or had multiple Daft Punk albums or whatever. It's fun to filter that through the lens of the period piece.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Google is telling me that its The Chamber of Horrors 1966 where the screen flashes red but I don't see any blurb about a hand being cut off.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They also show the kids watching Day of the Dead in the theater. There's no way a small local cinema would run an unrated film like that, much less let a bunch of thirteen year olds in.

Things like that come from writers who are too distant from the era they're writing. I can't remember if it was in Stranger Things or Fear Street where someone doesn't use a payphone correctly.

For example, my latest trainee when we were discussing home video/video rentals, she was confused over the concept of blank tapes and that we used them to record all sorts of stuff. The idea of your movie options back then being what's at the theater/what's at the rental place/what's getting shown edited on TV/whatever you managed to tape was also a bit of a shock.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

our friend didn't have any normal kid movies or shows growing up

This is me, I still haven't seen most of the 80s comedies that everyone else I knew was watching, it was all old westerns (that I hated) and old monster movies (that I loved) in my house.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

New poster got here today.

The white parts are glow in the dark :getin:

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

When I was around 4 or 5 my favorite thing to watch was a VHS of the original King Kong. I liked all kinds of other regular kids stuff too but I definitely continued to have a strong interest in old giant monster movies growing up and borrowed my grandparents' massive VHS camcorder to make my own movies with Godzilla action figures and micro machines.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

This is me, I still haven't seen most of the 80s comedies that everyone else I knew was watching, it was all old westerns (that I hated) and old monster movies (that I loved) in my house.

I was the kid who knew every word to the original London cast recording of Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables; I'm well-aware none of our friend group had normal interests. But it is funny in a horror movie when a kid only likes The Vindicated-By-History Hits Of The Time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What I’m getting out of this discussion is your friend sounds cool.

My parents let us watch whatever we wanted growing up, but they’d at intervals decide to “culture” us by throwing in assigned material (that they love).

It’s why I have an exhaustive knowledge of Doris Day movies and a German-language version of the James Fenimore Cooper novels. Thanks, mom.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Things like that come from writers who are too distant from the era they're writing. I can't remember if it was in Stranger Things or Fear Street where someone doesn't use a payphone correctly.

How did they manage to gently caress up using a pay phone?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair, a movie failing at the box office doesn't necessarily mean that no one liked it. He could have been the one guy who saw The Thing and thought that it was neat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crescent Wrench posted:

Depends where you are. Some payphones required you to put the money in before dialing, others only had you do it after the call was answered.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Something I think about a lot is the experience of renting some weird movie that nobody else has ever seen (presumably because all the good movies were already rented) and having that become a cornerstone of your childhood. My mom and I rented The Lift once and then rented it almost one a month for the better part of a year afterwards. I still love that movie and somewhere I have the storyboard I tried to make for a similar movie about sentient showers that kill people (in my cluelessly gay little nine year old brain I was like "horror movies = women in showers" and ran with it).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think that movie for me is Rock & Rule. I tried to describe it to the kids in my kindergarten class and they thought it sounded like the stupidest thing ever.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I saw Rock & Rule for the first time a few months ago. There's a lot to like about it.

The Sonic OVA is probably that movie for me. I still have my childhood VHS copy I got from the mall and watched about every week. I tried showing it to my fourth grade classmates and they all got bored and wanted to watch Cats & Dogs instead and it was soul-crushing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Magic Hate Ball posted:

(in my cluelessly gay little nine year old brain I was like "horror movies = women in showers" and ran with it).

you were right.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

For some reason as a little kid I loved watching TCM and AMC, I guess I thought it made me more mature or something but it ended up getting me hooked on awesome old stuff like Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein and The Omega Man.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Something I think about a lot is the experience of renting some weird movie that nobody else has ever seen (presumably because all the good movies were already rented) and having that become a cornerstone of your childhood. My mom and I rented The Lift once and then rented it almost one a month for the better part of a year afterwards. I still love that movie and somewhere I have the storyboard I tried to make for a similar movie about sentient showers that kill people (in my cluelessly gay little nine year old brain I was like "horror movies = women in showers" and ran with it).

It's not horror, but Captain Ron. "Ahh, they'll get out of our way, boss! Learned that drivin' the Saratoga" is practically a part of my personality, as is the need to clarify revolutionaries or apes when someone mentions gorillas without context.

Robot Jox was a candidate but I only rented it a few times and as the designated robot dude in the family no-one else got into it quite so much

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Something I think about a lot is the experience of renting some weird movie that nobody else has ever seen (presumably because all the good movies were already rented) and having that become a cornerstone of your childhood.

Duck Soup,, no lie.

If we count teen years, then: The Kentucky Fried Movie, Blackbelt Jones, and horror movies In the Shadow of Kilimanjaro and The Killer Tongue

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Naked Man Punch posted:

Duck Soup,, no lie.

If we count teen years, then: The Kentucky Fried Movie, Blackbelt Jones, and horror movies In the Shadow of Kilimanjaro and The Killer Tongue

The Kentucky Fried Movie and Amazon Women on the Moon really did a number on my young brain.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend for me

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kentucky Fried Movie has some bits that do not hold up so great in 2023 but A Fistful of Yen is the greatest movie parody of all time imo.

Opopanax posted:

Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend for me

hahaha I had this on vhs

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I had a bunch of those childhood video store obscurities. Making Contact (Joey) and The Quest (Frog Dreaming) come to mind.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought I made up the movie Ratboy in my mind until I finally found it again as an adult.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Kentucky Fried Movie has some bits that do not hold up so great in 2023 but A Fistful of Yen is the greatest movie parody of all time imo.

Did your copy not come equipped with Big Jim Slade, then?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Crescent Wrench posted:

I think it was they put the money in before picking up the receiver. It was a minor thing that only those who've used payphones would notice. Kinda like the place a collect call from "Mom, pick us up at the mall".

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Origami Dali posted:

Making Contact (Joey)

Ooof, yeah. Between this, Child's Play, and the Zuni doll from Trilogy of Terror, I was certain as a child that it was only a matter of time until my toys became sentient and killed me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I grew up watching Jim Henson’s Toy so I simply believed all my toys played together when I wasn’t around and I should never ever try and catch them or else they’d all die. And that this would all be ripped off to make an Oscar winning classic film.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Phy posted:

It's not horror, but Captain Ron. "Ahh, they'll get out of our way, boss! Learned that drivin' the Saratoga" is practically a part of my personality, as is the need to clarify revolutionaries or apes when someone mentions gorillas without context.

I still call people swab from time to time

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that movie for me is Rock & Rule. I tried to describe it to the kids in my kindergarten class and they thought it sounded like the stupidest thing ever.

this title had to have been what inspired the Scharpling-Wurster bit, right?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Embarrassing Story my partner's mother once told me is that she once got a We Are Concerned About Your Child Phone Call when said partner was in first grade, with school administration asking if they had a history of mental illness because they were reporting "hearing voices".

It turns out that they had just memorized and were quoting Tommy Boy. :3:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

13 year old me was not prepared for Toby Hoopers Life-force.

It had a cool VHS cover! And Picard!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Embarrassing Story my partner's mother once told me is that she once got a We Are Concerned About Your Child Phone Call when said partner was in first grade, with school administration asking if they had a history of mental illness because they were reporting "hearing voices".

It turns out that they had just memorized and were quoting Tommy Boy. :3:
I wanted to quote a Tommy Boy joke but unfortunately it's impossible to know whether stuff happened in that movie or Black Sheep

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Martman posted:

I wanted to quote a Tommy Boy joke but unfortunately it's impossible to know whether stuff happened in that movie or Black Sheep

Remember the old saying:

If Dennehy ye see, then Tommy Boy it be.

If Busey's on screen, then Black Sheep you've seen.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
In terms of weird idiosyncratic childhood "classics," when I rewatched Vamp as an adult I was very surprised I was allowed free access to the VHS whenever the hell I wanted. Even as a kid, Grace Jones is by far the most memorable part.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My obscure movie I was obsessed with as a kid was an obscure live action Disney superhero spy movie from the 70s called Condorman. We rented it weekly from the library.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

In Evil Dead, there's a hills have eyes poster in the cabin. Am I to believe the Allens were horror fans??

Just huge Michael Berryman fans.

I assume you're already aware because you're posting in this thread, but for the 2 of you that don't know the reason behind that poster:
In The Hills Have Eyes there's a torn poster for Jaws in the background at one point. Sam Raimi believed that was a sort of challenge, like "this movie is scarier than Jaws," and he wanted to one up it by saying Evil Dead is scarier than THHE.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Nikumatic posted:

More movies just need to do the It Follows thing and embrace period ambiguity.

Except Friday the 13th. Every sequel should be a time capsule and every generation should get a Friday the 13th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Friday the 13th should have kept going with the original timeline where the movies were taking place further and further in the future. Jason X was a good start but they should have made Jason takes Mars where the majority of the movie takes place on a starship liner on the way to Mars. Then you have 15 minutes of Jason just being on Mars.

In my Ted Talk I will..