Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

so what's the most holy

AFV, because it only plays on Sundays :dadjoke:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Ganondorf might be able to shrug off one measly bomb to the face, but can he shrug off ALL of the bombs?

*Proceeds to obliterate the Demon Kings health bar with nothing but a 5-shot Savage Bow and a shitload of Bomb Flowers*]

This was one of the best parts of the fight IMO and I wish would come up more often. Yes, the Master Sword can kill the reincarnation of Demise (for a time), but that doesn't mean Link has to only fight Ganondorf with it. OoT Ganon knocked it away during the final fight, only to get his rear end beat by either the Megaton Hammer or the Biggoron Sword.

"Foolish Link, the Sword of Evil's Bane may be able to seal me, but only if you can survive my flurry of bl--...is that a loving explosive shotgun?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Well, I finally found where I can trade in bubbulgems. At the end of the game, with enough to just dump them all on the table and buy everything. Loving the hair on this hat, though.

I suppose I'll see how many more I can rustle up while finishing the shrines, but is the result of getting all of them cool/useful/funny enough to consider consulting a guide to grab the remainder? I would accept extremely an weird cut scene even if there's no equipment prize.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Akratic Method posted:

Well, I finally found where I can trade in bubbulgems. At the end of the game, with enough to just dump them all on the table and buy everything. Loving the hair on this hat, though.

I suppose I'll see how many more I can rustle up while finishing the shrines, but is the result of getting all of them cool/useful/funny enough to consider consulting a guide to grab the remainder? I would accept extremely an weird cut scene even if there's no equipment prize.

The result of getting all the bubbulgems is pretty cool - find out if you can turn into a Satori by eating bubbulgems - and the prize you get isn't equipment per se but it's something I immediately put to use and never took off again. I was still having fun just playing the game and looking at things, so I thought it was worth the time. If I hadn't been looking for frogs, I'd still have been playing - I'd just have been doing something else.

I'd say give it a go, and if you ever get bored of it, stop immediately. It's worth doing if you find it fun, but it's not worth forcing yourself to do it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Picayune posted:

The result of getting all the bubbulgems is pretty cool - find out if you can turn into a Satori by eating bubbulgems - and the prize you get isn't equipment per se but it's something I immediately put to use and never took off again. I was still having fun just playing the game and looking at things, so I thought it was worth the time. If I hadn't been looking for frogs, I'd still have been playing - I'd just have been doing something else.

I'd say give it a go, and if you ever get bored of it, stop immediately. It's worth doing if you find it fun, but it's not worth forcing yourself to do it.

One thing that bugs me about the bubbul gems is that the rewards suddenly drop off. I would have liked it if they just gave random monster parts that are kind of tough to get. Hell, he could even give star fragments as rewards considering he is out at night all the time. He is probably tripping over the drat things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Donkringel posted:

One thing that bugs me about the bubbul gems is that the rewards suddenly drop off. I would have liked it if they just gave random monster parts that are kind of tough to get. Hell, he could even give star fragments as rewards considering he is out at night all the time. He is probably tripping over the drat things.

"I can't eat these! Into the garbage they go!"
Link rubs his belly and licks his lips as he looks at the garbage. And wait till he finds out there is a star fragment inside!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Donkringel posted:

Hell, he could give out 10/20 random parts from the low-level monsters who disappear early on except for 1 or 2 examples you have to farm like mad for your armor upgrades...

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
If Bubblfrogs are their own species, and not just blupees that under the effects of bubblgems, it's a bit weird that Link is on a quest to make an endangered creature extinct in Hyrule.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

maltesh posted:

If Bubblfrogs are their own species, and not just blupees that under the effects of bubblgems, it's a bit weird that Link is on a quest to make an endangered creature extinct in Hyrule.

Pretty sure they all poof back into a blupee when they spit the gem up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Blupees sit outside of caves to get help for their friend who ate a bubblegum and got sick. The bubble frog keeps burping up bubbles because it's sick. When you hit it, it jumps up, throws up the gem, and then turns back into a blupee.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
..... I literally never questioned why blupees came out of them. Just rolled with it, like, yep, that's just what happens when you shoot weird fairy frogs with an arrow.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Slugworth posted:

..... I literally never questioned why blupees came out of them. Just rolled with it, like, yep, that's just what happens when you shoot weird fairy frogs with an arrow.

I love that Zelda games have trained us this way.

:allears:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Same lol

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Blupees sit outside of caves to get help for their friend who ate a bubblegum and got sick. The bubble frog keeps burping up bubbles because it's sick. When you hit it, it jumps up, throws up the gem, and then turns back into a blupee.

:unsmith:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You can explicitly exterminate an alarming number of species in this game

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Slugworth posted:

that's just what happens when you shoot weird fairy frogs with an arrow.

This is what Link teaches in class at Hateno Village :hai:

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS

Poque posted:

I can't believe they hunted all the great-horned rhinos to extinction in the 6 or so years between games, I'd love to fuse one of those horns to one of my weapons.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I never really thought about it specifically, but now I wonder what all flora and fauna mysteriously disappeared between games. I think durians being harvested to extinction was the only one I really noticed on my own.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blupees are pokemon and evolve into bubblefrogs when exposed to a water stone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They probably explicitly removed rhinos because the parts would be incentive to hunt them and that would not go over well. As opposed to the last game where sure you could hunt them incidentally but there was no reason to.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can’t believe axes were hunted into extinction

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can bring them back

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never really thought about it specifically, but now I wonder what all flora and fauna mysteriously disappeared between games. I think durians being harvested to extinction was the only one I really noticed on my own.

Great Horned Rhinoceroses, as mentioned above, and Hearty Blueshell Snails.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Poque posted:

You can get medals for it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They probably explicitly removed rhinos because the parts would be incentive to hunt them and that would not go over well. As opposed to the last game where sure you could hunt them incidentally but there was no reason to.

I don't think that's why they removed them. Other animals don't drop anything but meat so it's not like the rhinos would be different.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Runcible Cat posted:

what? I think I missed this side quest entirely.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm reluctant to call it extermination when all of those monsters will be back after the next Blood Moon.

They don't even have to be all dead simultaneously; as long as you've defeated every monster of that type at least once, you'll get the medal when you let the questgiver know.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Akratic Method posted:

what? I think I missed this side quest entirely.

In lookout landing, there is a person who tells you about three world mini bosses. Once you kill them, he tells you about others and gives medals I think.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

In lookout landing, there is a person who tells you about three world mini bosses. Once you kill them, he tells you about others and gives medals I think.

I like how it’s a way for the developers to guide new players to harder bosses, especially when you get to the point when you need their monster parts to upgrade gear. Part of what I loved about my progression in BOTW was when I discovered that I could fight all these hard miniboses out there and crush them. Being able to git gud and perfect dodge Lynel attacks is one of my fondest memories.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I like how it’s a way for the developers to guide new players to harder bosses, especially when you get to the point when you need their monster parts to upgrade gear. Part of what I loved about my progression in BOTW was when I discovered that I could fight all these hard miniboses out there and crush them. Being able to git gud and perfect dodge Lynel attacks is one of my fondest memories.

I know it’s just random based on where I chose to explore but I went an insanely long time before finding my first Lynel. Like I think I had all of the sages before I stumbled on one chilling in a field. I had run into most other “boss” mobs pretty early including Gleeoks. Which was definitely for the best, my dad gamer reflexes really struggle with flurry rush and parry mechanics but by the time I found Lynels I could brute force them

It does feel really good to find a Talus or whatever very early on and run away screaming “oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo” when you see the massive health bar. Then come back later and absolutely wreck it.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 16, 2023

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I would just time-freeze Lynels in BOTW and whale on 'em while they were frozen, so I was very* upset that now I had to actually git gud on them instead.

*not actually

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I shot a lynel with one of the Super Zonai Arrows and it disappeared without dropping anything. I thought it was a glitch until I did it a second time

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

They drop stuff on the 3rd time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

I shot a lynel with one of the Super Zonai Arrows and it disappeared without dropping anything. I thought it was a glitch until I did it a second time

In BOTW you can one shot them with ancient arrows but you get no loot as punishment and I didn’t know they ported this into the new game as well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

In BOTW you can one shot them with ancient arrows but you get no loot as punishment and I didn’t know they ported this into the new game as well.

Yeah when I found ancient daggers I had a feeling that they would just zoop enemies into another dimension and tried it with a bokoblin and an arrow and sure enough. I keep some just in case I get tired of dealing with assholes.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Cojawfee posted:

God I had no idea how much I'd missed in Lookout Landing. I went there, got the paraglider and the camera, and then hosed off forever. I only learned about the ancient tablets quest and the respec statue from the Game Grumps videos. And then I found that whole massive cavern with its own armor set plus a stalnox to fight, and still there's this whole other quest person I hadn't noticed. I also didn't find Hestu there until like 50 hours into the game. Gonna have to go back there and really thoroughly speak to everyone.

Also, speaking of the ancient tablets quest: early on I noticed the little flower shaped islands and marked them all (so I'd remember which ones I touched and made the tablets fall to earth), so that was quick and easy. But the one above Lookout Landing, which presumably dropped the tablet that starts the quest, doesn't appear to exist. I put a pin on it, and can't spot the pin at all. I flew to where it's supposed to be, and can't reach or spot anything. Is that a map island that just isn't real?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I assume they didn't put one so you wouldn't try to go there for nothing.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Akratic Method posted:

Also, speaking of the ancient tablets quest: early on I noticed the little flower shaped islands and marked them all (so I'd remember which ones I touched and made the tablets fall to earth), so that was quick and easy. But the one above Lookout Landing, which presumably dropped the tablet that starts the quest, doesn't appear to exist. I put a pin on it, and can't spot the pin at all. I flew to where it's supposed to be, and can't reach or spot anything. Is that a map island that just isn't real?

It is EXTREMELY high up and also there’s nothing there since the tablet platform already dropped.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I do wonder how these people built a skyfaring civilization with planes that only last for three minutes.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

FunkyAl posted:

I do wonder how these people built a skyfaring civilization with planes that only last for three minutes.

clever use of float stones and balloons probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
If you have the patience and battery power to fly up to the flower-shaped island above Lookout Landing - it takes like five minutes to get up that high - you should probably do it. It's so high up that you can jump off it and fall/paraglide surprisingly far across the world in any direction. Just put a teleport spot up there.

I always kept one teleport spot up there and one just outside Tarrey Town for my constant weapon disassembling needs. The third was for temporary stuff.