Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm trying to imagine a world in which there are apology.jpgs for like, The Flash or Indiana Jones Dial of Destiny
Rise of Skywalker gets a new downloadable update 4 years after release that explains how Palpatine came back and fixes Mark Hamill’s wig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cat Machine posted:

Rise of Skywalker gets a new downloadable update 4 years after release that explains how Palpatine came back and fixes Mark Hamill’s wig

You joke, but they did famously issue patch notes for that movie's plot like a month after it came out, through the Star Wars twitter account.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

reactivity in rpg's is getting your good buddy steven heck to mount a minigun on a subway car

Still waiting for Alpha Protocol 2: Heck on Earth

(yeah, I know, it'll never happen :smith: )

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Cat Machine posted:

Lucas messing with the original trilogy and inserting more and more CGI into it with each re-release is this, but for making it worse

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Release the Snyder Patch

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I know someone who was working on effects for one of the latest Marvel Disney+ releases and they were legit "hotfixing" it over the first week of release because it wasn't ready (due to mismanagement).

Release the patchnotes for iron man's crotch rendering or whatever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr.Acula posted:

Release the Snyder Patch

Brightness and saturation lowered 40%

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Pleads posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

Brightness and saturation lowered 40%

:hmmyes:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pleads posted:

I know someone who was working on effects for one of the latest Marvel Disney+ releases and they were legit "hotfixing" it over the first week of release because it wasn't ready (due to mismanagement).

there are anime series on TV that go back and redraw and clean up art for the bluray releases since they're so to-the-wire in their on-air delivery, so yea it's a thing

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Anyone play any Cantata? Came outta EA today and i was surprised, hadnt been following it or anything and was expecting another 3 or 4 months. Im really drawn in by the style and promise of expansive scenario levels, but recent reviews and impressions had "long way to go" type complaints and im wondering how much has been ironed out in the release here.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hammerwatch 2 just dropped, and after being burned on the first and briefly tried the spinoff to see that they'd not learnt much and where leaning in all the wrong-for-me-yet-popular directions, I didn't have much high hopes for the proper sequel. What I was not expecting was this:

Apparently it's a co-op game where your character is stored locally on the host's machine. So if you want to play with a different friend, you have to start all over from zero. What an amazing new way to gently caress things up!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Serephina posted:

Hammerwatch 2 just dropped, and after being burned on the first and briefly tried the spinoff to see that they'd not learnt much and where leaning in all the wrong-for-me-yet-popular directions, I didn't have much high hopes for the proper sequel. What I was not expecting was this:

Apparently it's a co-op game where your character is stored locally on the host's machine. So if you want to play with a different friend, you have to start all over from zero. What an amazing new way to gently caress things up!

Yeah I was mildly excited for this but this kinda takes all the fun out of it really? I mean, I've played quite a few co-op games recently where one person hosts, but that didn't stop me from using the same character in another world (such as Terraria and Core Keeper, to name a few). Even if you have a similar gaming schedule than your gaming buddy/ies, there will still always be times the host is unavailable, and in this case you can't make any progress on your character - or even play with someone else.

What's more, a dev is pretty strongly defending the design choice in the Steam discussion at least, so it likely won't change. Perhaps could be changed with a mod?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 16, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno much about these Hammerwatch games, but I'm pretty sure the multiplayer in the Baldur's Gate games is an afterthought, not a highly anticipated game mode.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is it worth playing single player, though?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

credburn posted:

Is it worth playing single player, though?

eeeeesh? If it's anything like its predecessors, some classes are unplayably miserable solo, while others might be fine but strongly synergize from having others about (ie the Paladin spamming heal).

The game is mostly a goof-off-with-friends crawler, as the skill ceiling isn't terribly high.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

A BaldursGateIII-like, if you will.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Please don't make that a thing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

More of a Baldur'sGate3-lite, if you ask me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

[my voice growing slightly louder with each word to drown out the boos] Our new game is a Baldurs Gatelike Roguelite Souls deckbuilder with survival sim crafting elements...

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Commander Keene posted:

I dunno much about these Hammerwatch games, but I'm pretty sure the multiplayer in the Baldur's Gate games is an afterthought, not a highly anticipated game mode.

It is something Larian has been pushing hard since Original Sin 1 and was a huge part of that series' success, definitely not an afterthought.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

A BaldursGateIIIlike (also spelled BaldursGateIII-like) is a subgenre of Computer Role Playing games (CRPG) known for local save file systems and emphasis on environmental storytelling, typically in a fantasy setting. It had its origin in Baldur's Gate III and the Divinity: Original Sin series by Larian Studios, the themes and mechanics of which directly inspired several other games. BaldursGateIIIlike games developed by Larian Studios themselves have been specifically referred to as OriginalGate games, a portmanteau of Original Sin and Baldur's Gate. The "OriginalGate" name has been adopted by a number of critics and developers. However, there have also been questions whether it is a true genre or a collection of shared mechanics.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew is coming out tomorrow but I'm still in act 2 in baldur's gate 3 :( . Probably smartest is to first finish BG3, but perhaps waiting for a few patches to fix act 3 stuff might make sense as well. Worst part is that I'll have a lot less time to game from September onwards.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

ZearothK posted:

It is something Larian has been pushing hard since Original Sin 1 and was a huge part of that series' success, definitely not an afterthought.

at last, a way to play d&d with my friends

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I 100% would only want to play different, co-op only characters in a co-op RPG. I don’t want to drop in/out with an existing character I want a set of characters that are for that campaign and are only played together. The last few weeks of co-op talk has proven me to be generally out of the ordinary though lol.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I do like the way BG3 handles it as opposed to the usual implementation of, "Only the Host's story progresses".

But "Drop in, get progress if you were behind, drop out" is probably ideal as that still leaves room on the table to agree to only play together if you all choose.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
BG3's multiplayer permanently locks in the other player's character, even when they disconnect. This means no changing party composition, which is a huge oversight. I have to have a second character going so I can actually interact with NPC party members.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I guess I don't understand the problem. I don't know why you'd want to play a co-op game when your co-op partner isn't there.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Phigs posted:

I guess I don't understand the problem. I don't know why you'd want to play a co-op game when your co-op partner isn't there.

Yeah same, I think it's rather disrespectful to go through the content, especially story bits without your co-op partner.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All of my potential real-life co-op partners are, and it pains me to admit this, total scrubs and so I would not inflict my own gamer sensibilities upon them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It does feel like you're missing a lot in a coop campaign, especially with your companions. You really gotta pick and choose who you want to focus on and that's with two people. Any more than that then it's really tough. We get a lot of weird bugs in multiplayer too. Well, it's not a massive damper on things and Larian is very good with post-release support so hopefully they'll change stuff over the course of the next year.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

co-op generally makes larian's games worse and i fully believe it is a scam to trick a multiplier of people to play the game twice co-op and then give up on that and have a much better time solo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hwurmp posted:

Turbo Overkill owns
what with the recent glut of boomer-shooter type things, what makes this one special gameplay-wise? aside from the possibly-excessive number of chainsaws available to the player character, that is

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

All of my potential real-life co-op partners are, and it pains me to admit this, total scrubs and so I would not inflict my own gamer sensibilities upon them.

I had my first 4-man group of BG3 the other night, just doing the intro area. Had this Intellect Devourer down to 1 HP and one of the guys Shoves it away from the fire right next to us instead of circling around it and Shoving it into the fire :argh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

what with the recent glut of boomer-shooter type things, what makes this one special gameplay-wise? aside from the possibly-excessive number of chainsaws available to the player character, that is

The biggest standout for me is its movement. Between your run speed, dashes, double jump, weapon jumps, wall run on special runnywalls, grappling hook, air control, the aforementioned CHAINSAW LEG, and all the unlockable upgrades for those, TO has the best movement out of all the recent shootboomers. Combat is excellent as well.

Most of the best FPSes of the last few years, I would call almost as good as Dusk and Amid Evil. Turbo Overkill is the first one I'd say is just as good as those two.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

KazigluBey posted:

A BaldursGateIIIlike (also spelled BaldursGateIII-like) is a subgenre of Computer Role Playing games (CRPG) known for local save file systems and emphasis on environmental storytelling, typically in a fantasy setting. It had its origin in Baldur's Gate III and the Divinity: Original Sin series by Larian Studios, the themes and mechanics of which directly inspired several other games. BaldursGateIIIlike games developed by Larian Studios themselves have been specifically referred to as OriginalGate games, a portmanteau of Original Sin and Baldur's Gate. The "OriginalGate" name has been adopted by a number of critics and developers. However, there have also been questions whether it is a true genre or a collection of shared mechanics.

can I humbly suggest the shortened form be B3Gs just to annoy syntax structural purists

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hwurmp posted:

The biggest standout for me is its movement. Between your run speed, dashes, double jump, weapon jumps, wall run on special runnywalls, grappling hook, air control, the aforementioned CHAINSAW LEG, and all the unlockable upgrades for those, TO has the best movement out of all the recent shootboomers. Combat is excellent as well.

Most of the best FPSes of the last few years, I would call almost as good as Dusk and Amid Evil. Turbo Overkill is the first one I'd say is just as good as those two.
well i'm always a fan of a game with fluid movement so seems like i ought to give it a shot after work

meanwhile, how's it compare difficulty-wise to ULTRAKILL? i ain't getting any younger and neither are my reflexes, going by how hard i found that one :corsair:

(e) i liked CHEGG better lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

well i'm always a fan of a game with fluid movement so seems like i ought to give it a shot after work

meanwhile, how's it compare difficulty-wise to ULTRAKILL? i ain't getting any younger and neither are my reflexes, going by how hard i found that one :corsair:

It's nowhere near as difficult. Early on you can get some upgrades that make the CHEGG restore a little health and/or armor on all its kills. You can slide right through all the hordes of mooks and keep yourself topped off. Or forego those if you want more challenge.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finally, not buying the game pays off after nearly 20 years

also available on Prime Gaming this month: Blade Assault, Payday 2, Wytchwood

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 16, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's funny. I love Quake, all id games, and some Raven games, not big on Quake 4. I do defend Doom 3 though.

Happy ten year anniversary to the Deadpool game! Everyone should play that, I assume you all bought it for 4 dollars. It was pretty good. I also like that cheap Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I admit my situation wont be common but originally I started with me and my younger brother. Then my older brother, who plays with his own people when available, wanted to play with us and help us out. So sure, he can drop in and play with us and when he has to log off my younger brother and I can keep playing.

But now we're stuck with the character my older brother made and now only have 1 slot to dedicate to a companion to swap out. It also doesn't help he made a greenman named Shrek