Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
business partner's inlaws both have covid

both got pax

I feel like this is the best outcome people can hope for and it's not a very good one :(

they both said they felt vaguely "bad" over the last weekend but got full blown hosed up today so some anecdotal validation of weird delayed onset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

posting width goons

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www.mountsinai.org/about/ne...nd-transmission

Interesting intranasal candidate.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Not sure how I feel about this thread stealing my thread tag valor…

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

quote:

Here’s when to keep your student home

When your child has a fever over 104°F

lmao that's gotta be a typo, right? It's supposed to say 100.4, right????

e: ah, it is a typo, good job local news lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Poppers posted:

Not sure how I feel about this thread stealing my thread tag valor…

yer a covid threader now, 'oppers

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It would be nice if any of these teams would add an infection endpoint

Oh well

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Lib and let die posted:

yer a covid threader now, 'oppers

Always have been my good bitch

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al! posted:

tested positive for covid this morning but im going in anyway because i dont want to use my sick time unless i really need it. i think theyre all vaxxed and i can do my best to avoid my coworker with lupis. it really sucks because i have baseball tickets for tonight, and i wont be able to cheer as hard

Remember to follow CDC guidance and make sure no one is wearing a mask

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

It would be nice if any of these teams would add an infection endpoint

Oh well

we're already past the endpoint, covid is over, hello

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
About the new boosters: I read somewhere that the new boosters would just be last year's boosters again but unsure if that's real or not. if that's the case though then I think it's better to get them right now for myself, since my kid just started school. I suppose kids can't get another bivalent yet?

edit: still can't get over someone I know with lupus, who said she read online not get the covid vaccines because of her lupus and that her doctor told her to follow her heart and decide for herself.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's still kicking around the US, there's a handful of new infections every month.

We thought we'd eradicated it here in Australia but we just had two new cases, although they were linked to international travel.

People I'm going to Desert Event with were talking about getting their mpox vaccines ahead of going but when I looked into it the still won't let AFAB people like me have one.

Luckily I plan to stay away from everyone and cover up my skin since I hate sunscreen.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lacrosse posted:

People I'm going to Desert Event with were talking about getting their mpox vaccines ahead of going but when I looked into it the still won't let AFAB people like me have one.

Luckily I plan to stay away from everyone and cover up my skin since I hate sunscreen.

super cool that we're just doing aids v2 with mpox lmao

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Al! posted:

as long as you cover your cough with your hand you should be fine

Please don't give bad/incomplete advice, if you cough in your hand you should wash both hands afterwards. But ideally you should cough into the crook of your elbow so we can see your smiling face again more quickly.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Aug 16, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i haven’t looked very hard but I’m just gonna say "no there isn’t". the number of children boosted is vanishingly small, enrollment and control of any study is extremely difficult, and the interest in evaluating ongoing / "novel" efficacy has waned. there’s insane confounds given administration date, generally understood waning of circulating antibodies, etc. the new prevailing strains are divergent enough for it not to matter anyway.

very generally: any recent shots seem to provide at least Some (unquantifiable) protection against severe disease, long Covid, and death.

I also want to make it abundantly clear to you and all posters that your kids (or you yourself!) having Covid before DOES NOT MATTER. each subsequent infection is worse, any given infection provides transient partial protection at best, and the window looks to be roughly 4-6 months. this is similar to how it works for betacoronaviruses generally and the line of "hybrid immunity" has been an incredible falsehood from the outset.

it’s a tough situation right now. a current booster probably won’t do much, but it might, and if you can finagle the new one immediately, it doesn’t look like there’s much to LOSE from getting them an available shot now.

I posted this in the last thread, study on mixing vs matching, novavax booster effectiveness vs pfizer in adolescents.

quote:

In summary, this study shows that heterologous and fractional dose COVID-19 vaccine schedules studied are well-tolerated and immunogenic in adolescents. BNT-10 demonstrated a highly favourable reactogenic profile, however, it elicited the lowest peak immune response. Although BNT-10 neutralising activity against Omicron BA.1 and BA.2 variants was comparable to BNT-30, BNT-10 participants were more than twice as likely to have a self-reported ‘breakthrough infection’ compared with BNT-30. NVX demonstrated the highest peak humoral and cellular immune response and had a comparable reactogenic profile to BNT-30. Furthermore, NVX elicited the highest neutralising activity against BA.1 and BA.2 and demonstrated a reduction in risk of self-reported ‘breakthrough infection’ during an Omicron predominant wave.

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(23)00330-4/fulltext

The number of participants is small though (they say they were trying for more, but changes in govt policy "necessitated a change to the study design resulted in fewer participants recruited than originally planned". But it is at least encouraging.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I like to lower my mask when i sneeze so it doesnt get all gross

edit: lol
https://twitter.com/bethanyshondark/status/1423390210293997570

edit: 2 gosh darn years ago what in the heck. seems like yesterday

nexous has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Aug 16, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lacrosse posted:

Ah dammit why the hell are they still gatekeeping it, surely they must have ordered a larger reserve supply by now. It's been well over a year since the outbreak began back in May 2022

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

redreader posted:

About the new boosters: I read somewhere that the new boosters would just be last year's boosters again but unsure if that's real or not. if that's the case though then I think it's better to get them right now for myself, since my kid just started school. I suppose kids can't get another bivalent yet?

edit: still can't get over someone I know with lupus, who said she read online not get the covid vaccines because of her lupus and that her doctor told her to follow her heart and decide for herself.

Nah, the new upcoming booster will be a monovalent designed for XBB.1.5.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

fosborb, you might want to add the hardcase P100 filters to the OP for the non-SecureClick respirators
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000057584/

I think it's helpful for people to have a list of primary vendors too for ease of use - i.e. https://www.zoro.com is typically the best place to get elastomeric respirators and filters, and https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com the best place to get 9210+ auras.

Also, this is a big one - "COVID is airborne" isn't mentioned in it anywhere from what I can tell and that should be one of the major points. "COVID is airborne and travels through the air and lingers like smoke" is accurate and a very effective way for people to understand the situation. So many people outside of the thread really don't understand this.

IMO the bit about surgical masks should be changed because it overlooks the fact that COVID is airborne - on top of not protecting the wearer, they won't protect anyone around them. They're not PPE, period.

You honestly might want to include a link to the John Snow Project, they have so much information delivered in a very clear way and it's all sourced.
https://johnsnowproject.org/

Congrats / Sorry about your new position.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Yeah, uh, between the covid, the violence and the general decreptude of the school system right now I'd just cut the crap and homeschool if I had kids. Nthing the PPE poo poo too, surgicals exist to sop up poo poo flying out your mouth, and while that isn't without value, it's only a way to stop it going out from you rather then stop it in the first place.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Aug 16, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

redreader posted:

Updated boosters are coming out very soon (hopefully ~6 weeks). They are not just last years bivalent formula, they will be updated against a more recent strain, and monovalent.

Apparently they should be available for kids. At least the manufactures are allowing pediatricians to order them right now.

All of this is contingent on not having the rug pulled in various ways, so it sucks to try to give advice right now. Personally we are waiting, because I didn't think the old bivalent offered much additional protection at this point, and I want us all to get the new version asap, instead of having to wait however many months will be mandated in between shots.

But we're still masking indoors, so maybe not feeling quite as worried about the next couple of weeks.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv-9mkwrKfP/

Physics girl still having a good time with long COVID.

quote:

Dianna is currently suffering from a multi-week crash. It's been over a year since she got sick and she will still crash from any minor mental or physical stress. These crashes are the result from her severe MCAS and ME/CFS.

I started helping Kyle and Dianna full-time here a couple months ago, and it's surreal to see her state. I think when you're not around it, it's easy for the time to pass, or to assume the time goes by relatively easy from her bedroom. But it doesn't.

Dianna still doesn't consume anything that is potentially overstimulating for her mind. She doesn't watch movies, read books, or listen to music. She's able to speak more throughout the day than she used to, and she develops little funny sentences or short songs in her head. But other than that, you're looking at it. These pictures are the exact place she has been laying since January, unable to even get up and use the bathroom.

This disease is slow, very slow. Some weeks are worse than others...

We've learned so much about post-viral illnesses in the last few years, and people still doubt they exist. Insane to me.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 18:10 on Aug 16, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/CorsIAQ/status/1691624482228842787

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

StratGoatCom posted:

Yeah, uh, between the covid, the violence and the general decreptude of the school system right now I'd just cut the crap and homeschool if I had kids.

Kids and a single-earner income to support them?

Hm.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
what’s the current PCR test time frame after exposure? CDC still saying 5 day.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Tzen posted:

loving hell it's been 5 months since the last YouTube update,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vydgkCCXbTA

More like 2 months

https://youtube.com/shorts/uKmmO1KE8ew?feature=share

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

We've learned so much about post-viral illnesses in the last few years, and people still doubt they exist. Insane to me.

lol H.P. Hovercraft still denies it exists

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
E:GRAPH IS WRONG, THERE'S A SPIKE BUT THIS IS BAD DATA.

looks like schools might be the only place to send kids with 104 degree fevers soon

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Aug 16, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lib and let die posted:

Kids and a single-earner income to support them?

Hm.

when our youngest was born, it was cheaper to keep her home than to have 2 incomes plus pay for daycare plus insurance that wouldn't let you use the family plan if the other spouse could get insurance through their work.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Coolness Averted posted:

looks like schools might be the only place to send kids with 104 degree fevers soon

this was a bad data point, right?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington state's Monkeypox (Mpox) update. Nothing big, seems like an earlier one was a duplication or misdiagnosis and got removed.

pre:
Cumulative
Mpox	Total	Change
Cases	699	-1
Hosp.	21	 -
pre:
Month Onset/	Older
Collection	Cases	Change
Jul 2023	1	-
Jun 2023	2	-
May 2023	0	-
Apr 2023	7	-
Mar 2023	6	-
Feb 2023	9	-
Jan 2023	15	-
Dec 2022	13	-
Nov 2022	19	-
Oct 2022	23	-
Sep 2022	134	-
Aug 2022	259	-
Jul 2022	190	-1
Jun 2022	16	-
May 2022	1	-
WA State Mpox Dashboard

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

StratGoatCom posted:

Yeah, uh, between the covid, the violence and the general decreptude of the school system right now I'd just cut the crap and homeschool if I had kids. Nthing the PPE poo poo too, surgicals exist to sop up poo poo flying out your mouth, and while that isn't without value, it's only a way to stop it going out from you rather then stop it in the first place.

if you CAN homeschool yeah but most kids in public schools are from families that cant afford for an adult to stop earning money for being alive expenses. spend a little money to upgrade school ventilation? uv air santizing units? rational sick policy? nah, the healthy kids will be fine, gently caress it

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1688939156620161029

quote:

NIL Deals have become exceedingly popular among college and amateur athletes. Even athletes at the school level have gotten the chance to represent various sports groups. Earlier this year, Bronny James’ NIL value was the highest among NIL earners in the United States. He was valued at $7.2 million in March 2023. James has collaborated with PSD Underwear, Nike, Beats by Dre, Klutch Sports Groups, and most recently Fast X. He was featured in a commercial for the Fast and Furious franchise starring Hollywood legend Vin Diesel.
However, his value has now dropped to $6.2 million, as per On3.com. There is no understanding of why this may have happened between March and August.

Its fine, we're just ruining kids lives no big deal

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

fosborb posted:

Yep, this is the third time we've seen it now.

Understandable that someone would miss it though given the speed of the last thread and then its death.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

LentThem posted:

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1688939156620161029

Its fine, we're just ruining kids lives no big deal

vaxed?

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

fosborb posted:

seems to be, yes, someone reverse engineered the error

https://twitter.com/KelleyKga/status/1691061955765624832?s=20

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
is there a corrected chart?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Unfortunately the posting around it is a whir of different graphs posted by people trying to own each other so it's hard for me to follow.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah but nothing bad is going to happen to me.

In fact it's mental illness to think that anything bad has ever happened to the protagonist of any story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

fosborb posted:

assuming sincerity for the work bit, I'm sorry you are in a work environment where you are not able to follow the CDCs guidance of quarantining at home for 5 days. work sucks and I'd be pissed if I was your coworker

i feel like the baseball game line really should have pushed it over the top