Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

:siren: NEW BOOSTERS ARE HERE! :siren:
you can sign up now* at your local pharmacy for the next generation of boosters
* applies to the US, the pharmacies may not take your insurance yet (~$120+ out of pocket), and the kid versions (6mo - 11) are approved but not shipped yet
  • you can take the booster about 2 months after last booster or infection
  • max effectiveness is about 2 or 3 weeks from the jab if you're trying to time high exposure season
  • Moderna and Pfizer have versions if that matters to you
  • they specifically target XBB.1.5 which was a thing a year ago, but still targeting a much more recent variant than your last shot.
  • they are monovalent. if you are getting a bivalent shot you are getting an outdated vaccine, which you shouldn't, because the bivalents have been pulled
  • they are free! (in the US, if you don't have insurance (see: the bridge access program to find a participating pharmacy
:siren: NEW BOOSTERS ARE HERE! :siren:

:siren: if you are sick, go see a healthcare professional.:siren:
:siren:if your healthcare professional disagrees with something someone posted on Something Awful, a dead comedy forum, listen to your healthcare professional or possibly consult with another healthcare professional and get a second opinion. :siren:
  • for example, if a doctor recommends ivermectin (an effective remedy to kill parasites) to treat covid (a virus), you might consider seeking a second opinion. Perhaps you accidentally presented as a worm-plagued horse to your PCP? sometimes that happens. another healthcare professional's opinion might confirm you're actually a worm-plagued horse
  • for example, if your teeth hurt, go to the loving dentist. if you are scheduled for a colonoscopy, get your rear end camera-probed

There are several covid threads in SA. this one is in cspam. that means it has strongly leftist politics, jokes and white noise posts, a significant lack of punctuation and capitalization, and also when someone posts something stupid there are rude words about it

if that's not your speed, there are other options! GBS covid thread. D&D covid thread. goon doctor covid thread. each have their own vibe. check them out!

Good things about this particular covid thread:
  • Mask/PPE deals
  • Statistics and stats poo poo posting
  • Collective local action to improve material conditions
  • Links to new studies
  • Jokes/white noise posts
  • Pillowpant's horribly colored maps

Bad things (in general):
  • 🌟Blaming individuals for systemic issues🌟
  • Encouraging violence
  • Calling "the thread" crazy, insane, etc. Insult individuals, not "the thread"
  • Brewing homemade bleach to wash your food and other potentially dangerous diy endeavors
  • Blaming every celebrity death on covid
  • Presuming a post you don't immediately agree with is part of a posting crew or other cabal that is out to shut down the current iteration of this thread in cspam
  • Wishing disease upon normal people who no longer follow covid precautions to the same degree you do

Bad things are met with probations and bans and ridicule from your fellow posters

Over the last 6 iterations of this thread, a massive amount of information has been shared, aggregated and collected. here is some of it:
  • do i have covid (rapids, PCRs)
  • i have covid, wtf do i do now (paxlovid, probably)
  • what should i inject myself with so covid doesn't gently caress me up so much? (boosters)
  • what should i buy so i dont get covid (masks and corsi cubes)

COVID is still here
COVID is airborne and travels through the air and lingers like smoke
We can reduce our risk

:covidtree: do i have covid (rapids, PCRs)

If you’re having symptoms or otherwise think you might have been exposed to covid, you should test. Rapid antigen tests (RATs) are still free in some states/communities (check local/state health sites), but otherwise cost about $20 for two tests. these are the tests that swab your nose. if you test negative and still have symptoms, you should test again the next day to confirm the negative (thats why there are always two tests).

rapids are now less effective at detecting omicron, especially in the first two days of infection. you can increase the sensitivity of rapids by also swabbing your mouth/back of your throat, and hitting your nasal cavity. Ontario Health's recommendations on how to properly do that. Here's a video of a surgeon demonstrating the "low and slow" method of swabbing your nasal cavity. if you get a positive rapid test, you have covid.

if you have symptoms or must absolutely be sure after an known exposure, etc. take a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test. these have very low false positive and false negative rates and are what the rich and powerful use before they'll let people into their Oval Office, etc. some states still do same day free PCRs (check local/state health sites). you can get them at clinics or buy home use tests (Lucira is the standard here). if you get a positive PCR test, you have covid.

:covidtree: i have covid, wtf do i do now (paxlovid, probably)

stay the gently caress home. guidance used to be stay home 10 days or until symptoms stop (whichever is longer). Delta Airlines sent a letter about labor shortages and now current CDC guidance is stay home 5 days (quarantine), and mask in all public areas (isolate) for the next 5 days, or until symptoms stop (whichever is longer).

stay hydrated and rest. if you have a pulse oximeter (apple watches have one or $15 off Amazon) the general rule is to go to the hospital if it drops below 90%, but talk to your doctor if you're concerned.

even if you are vaccinated, there are several treatments that drive down the risk of severe disease even further. Paxlovid is an oral antiviral that reduced hospitalizations/deaths by 86% in clinical trials. It's currently the preferred covid treatment unless you are young or have severe renal or hepatic impairment. If you are under 12 and your liver (or kidneys!) dont work so good, remesivir is an IV antiviral that reduced hospitalizations/deaths by 87%. If your kidneys are hosed and you're over 18, you might get another oral antiviral, molnupiravir. It had a 30% reduction in hospitalizations/deaths. we used to have mABs, but they've all fallen as covid has evolved. blame Tom Hanks.

all antivirals have to be started soon after symptom onset and before you get truly sick ("severe" = hospitalized). 5 days for paxlovid and molnupiravir, and 7 for remdesivir. Using telehealth and local delivery/pick up can be critical to getting treatment in time. you have to move fast and you may be too sick to really want to do that. and all treatments require prescriptions, so seriously, don't wait around if you think you might need treatment.

Paxlovid and molnupiravir come in 10 doses over 5 days. there are frequently rebounds of covid symptoms after 5 days of Paxlovid, but the reduction in hospitalizations and death are undeniable regardless. Particularly vulnerable people like Dr Fauci take 10 day courses when they have covid. remdesivir is 2 days of IVs at a clinic.

All treatments have significant contraindications -- i.e., when talking to the doctor, be extremely comprehensive in the medications you take and underlying medical conditions you have. this should be a no brainer for every prescription, but just in case: with Paxlovid you'll be taking an effective combination drug that includes two antivirals, including one that was developed for the treatment of HIV--this medication does not gently caress around.

Drug-Drug Interactions Between Ritonavir-Boosted Nirmatrelvir (Paxlovid) and Concomitant Medications AND
Searchable Drug Interaction Checker
:420: Both CBD & THC interact with Paxlovid.

telehealth sites that prescribe covid treatments
Sesame Care (varies aprox$40) (goon preferred!)
PlushCare ($129)
Push Health ($69)

there is lots of gatekeeping with paxlovid and remdesivir. there is a perception that they should only be used for the very sick or old or vulnerable. Not true! the FDA indication for treatment is mild-to-moderate covid + high risk for progression to severe covid. (pax, rem). You're supposed to take them before you get very sick. And great news if you're fat and/or sad and/or alive on this planet: You probably have one or more underlying conditions that put you at higher risk for covid loving you up and qualify! Exotic underlying conditions include asthma, physical inactivity, depression, ADHD, BMI over 30, pregnancy, smoking (current or former), using corticosteroids, and more!
A complete list of underlying medical conditions can be found on the CDC website here.

regardless of intervention, you may get long covid, which means suffering from symptoms beyond the acute phase of the disease. sometimes for months or longer. currently, the best ways to avoid long covid are to rest (seriously rest), to not have severe disease (see above) and to be one of the 90ish% of people who dont get long covid

:covidtree: what should i inject myself with so covid doesn't gently caress me up so much? (boosters)

a booster shot! new boosters are scheduled to come out fall 2023. current estimate is that they'll cost about $100 then. hopefully you have insurance and insurance pays for it. read the thread for the latest news

WHO guidance on when to top off with another booster: every six or twelve months for older adults, those who have comorbidities (see above) or who are immunocompromised or pregnant, and frontline health care workers. Unfortunately, that is just what the WHO is recommending. check with your own health officials and/or insurance to see what they'll actually cover and let you get.

Vaccine Finder - find vaccines near you or just like walk into a pharmacy and they've probably got some
http://www.healthdata.org/covid/covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-summary- vaccine efficacy summary
NYT Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker - breakdown of every vaccine in development with explanations of how they work/how well they work

um sorry there isn't more here. MRNA vaccines were going to be loving amazing, but it turns out if the multinational pharmaceutical company doesn't get a guaranteed income from sovereign states they'll just not actually make the updated shots once a quarter

:covidtree: what should i buy so i dont get covid (masks and corsi cubes)

Even fresh vaccines don't 100% prevent transmission of covid, and it kind of sucks to get covid, so here are some tried and true consumer products that help you avoid getting covid while still participating in society.

Fit testing your mask means checking that you're actually breathing through the filter medium. The quick way is to spray a bitterant, like 3M's FT-32.

Reusable Respirators - the masks painters, carpenters and road side constructioners wear. or used to wear before masks got political
3M Secure Click Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator with Speaking Diaphragm HF-802SD - the thread MVP for reusable respirators
- Filters for the Secure Click: P100 Soft Case, P100 Hard Case
3M Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 7502 - a valved option, fully silicone model fits a wide range of faces.
3M Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 6200 - lightweight, inexpensive, reliable
- Filters for non Secure Click: P100 Hard Case

Disposable Respirators - N95 masks. head straps rather than ear loops. solid protection on planes and trains. what you saw politicians wearing while everyone else was sewing cloth masks
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9210- the thread MVP for disposable respirators, might be a tight fit on a big head
3M VFlex Particulate Respirator 9105- probably the best fit for a big goony head, looks like you have a duck bill
Gerson Duckbill 3230 N95 - another option if you have a big goony head, looks like you have a duck bill
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9205 at United Canada Inc, Auras in boxes of 20 or cases of 440

FFP3 Respirators for Euro goons:
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9330+ -unvalved
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9332+- valved

P2 Respirators for Aus goons:
3M Aura Particulate Respirator 9320A+ - unvalved
3M Aura Flat Fold Particulate Respirator 9422+ -valved
Some Aus goons recommend WorkSafeGear and Southland Supply

KF94/KN95 Masks for Kids
N95s are an NIOSH rating, and since kids can't work (until recent legislation) you aren't going to find N95s specifically for kids. What you will find are KF94s and KN95s, which are Korean and Chinese standards.

Goon parents group linked this google sheet which at a glance is the most useful thing I've ever seen w/r/t kids and useful masks
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Q24Vv8MPk#gid=0
Some goons have also found that FloMask is a good fit for their kids https://flomask.com/

Other masks
While N95s are the US standard, well fitted KF94 ear loops do provide protection and may be more comfortable over many hours. https://behealthyusa.net/ has many different styles for adults and children.
"Surgicals" are the masks you found at the front of the grocery store in summer 2020. They do not protect yourself or those around you from airborne pathogens. They are mostly recycled toilet paper dyed blue and are not what anyone actually wears in an operating theater. the box they came in will have fine print that says "Not certified for surgical or medical use." If you can at all get a better mask, please do.
Cloth masks. why do you still have one of those?? please post the JOANN's fabric pattern

Build a Corsi Cube to increase air filtration at home!
do you want to be like Biden with rapid, fresh, filtered air exchanges everywhere you go, but also youre still on a budget?

Build a Corsi cube!
:greencube: :greencube: :greencube:

Made with four air filters, duct tape and a box fan (including the box), corsi-rosenthal cubes are cheap, effective air purifiers. People run them especially when someone in the home has tested positive, or they are put in classrooms with limited ventilation, or for wild fire smoke and allergies. And they're popular enough you can score deals on 4 packs of filters at your local hardware store or even Amazon sometimes.

Here is everything you need to know about how to build your own corsi cube: https://cleanaircrew.org/boxfanfilterfaq

they're great, they're loud (on high), and they can be your next furniture statement piece (that will look like dirty rear end within 6 months and need to be rebuilt).

:covidtree: Previous threads! for illegal remembering of things
Jan 2020, Apr 2020, May 2020, Jun 2020, Aug 2021, Mar 2022

:covidtree: general resources
https://johnsnowproject.org/ - general and comprehensive covid resource, well-sourced

fosborb has issued a correction as of 00:18 on Sep 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Last minute questions in the last thread

willroc7 posted:

Are there any good new data or studies out there regarding pediatric booster effectiveness? My kids are about a year out since their last shots and ~9 months since infection. With school starting up again next week I’m thinking it’s best to get them a booster now rather than wait for the updated monovalent next month.

The Demilich posted:

Anyone have the studies on hand about keeping physical activity to a minimum for a month and some change?

Need it for a friend whose being bone headed.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
*cough*

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

corvid

shart attack
Aug 15, 2023

by vyelkin
looking for crowvids

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
thanks for the reboot and new OP. glad my list of good and bad things was taken into consideration.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I notice missing from the op is how pat from achewood would approach covid

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

mild

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Immunocompromised and always masking crew representin!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I am happy to see this new thread open bidened.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
mild

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

nexous posted:

thanks for the reboot and new OP. glad my list of good and bad things was taken into consideration.

it was extremely good, thank you for putting it together for SAD

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

Immunocompromised and always masking crew representin!

:haibrow:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

first post

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

reserved

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
mmn that new thread smell

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

The Voice of Labor posted:

I notice missing from the op is how pat from achewood would approach covid

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

first pos

shart attack
Aug 15, 2023

by vyelkin
i dont think aching wood is a symptom of long covid but pat should see a doctor or nurse and try to be nice to them to get the result he's looking for

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

jovid-19

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

missing that new thread smell...

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

shart attack posted:

i dont think aching wood is a symptom of long covid but pat should see a doctor or nurse and try to be nice to them to get the result he's looking for

I have heard that not getting wood at all is a long covid symptom tho so definitely see your doctor if you cant get wood after covid.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Does this iteration of the thread get a new Greek letter designation or is it still Omicron

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I believe that COVID-19 is less than ideal, but that's just a me thing.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

they shipped us rsv vaccine a week ago but we can't administer it because they haven't got around to giving us a protocol yet

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I''m going to try and not catch this virus, we'll see how that goes

vvv thanks I made it myself

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

palindrome posted:

I''m going to try and not catch this virus, we'll see how that goes

lol your avatar is cool

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

covid is joever

cause joe biden fixed it

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Love to have lived through 6 versions of this thread, looking forward to many more years here with my postin' pals

shart attack
Aug 15, 2023

by vyelkin
the inflation reduction act should have resolved ache wood

HazCat
May 4, 2009

shart attack posted:

looking for crowvids

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

the new paxlovid we unpack from the orders expired in february but they're all like "oops good for one more year we meant lol" so we have to very professionally use sharpie to cross out the obvious printed expiration date and handwrite 2-24 instead

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

posting

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

good luck everyone

shart attack
Aug 15, 2023

by vyelkin

:3:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

take my covid, please

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

booster bandits ride again

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol they made you mod. good luck

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Spoondick posted:

they shipped us rsv vaccine a week ago but we can't administer it because they haven't got around to giving us a protocol yet

all i hear over the grocery store radio now is ads for RSV vaccines for old people. non stop loop at Safeway and Giant