Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

How is Mint Mobile? $15 unlimited is hard to beat, but I imagine it's throttled to hell.

As far as I can see, it is only $15 for the first 3 months and then it becomes $30 each month if you lock into a 1-year contract.

quote:

What’s my plan renewal price after the “Unlimited for $15” promotion ends?

After your 3-month plan comes to an end, you can renew for another 3, 6, or 12 months at our standard Unlimited Plan rate of $30/month; or if you want to continue to pay $15/month for your wireless service you can move down to our 5GB plan.

Pretty sleazy IMO, though, since I use Google Voice and can swap between carriers pretty easily, I'm kind of tempted to see if I can get away with signing up as a new customer every 3 months.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

As far as I can see, it is only $15 for the first 3 months and then it becomes $30 each month if you lock into a 1-year contract.

Pretty sleazy IMO, though, since I use Google Voice and can swap between carriers pretty easily, I'm kind of tempted to see if I can get away with signing up as a new customer every 3 months.

Ah, nevermind. Not worth it for MVNO service.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Is the Pixel 6a for like $300 the best deal I can get for around that price range?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kild posted:

Is the Pixel 6a for like $300 the best deal I can get for around that price range?

Pretty much - it's going to be hard to beat in terms of power and features. Personal preferences (like if you want a bigger screen, stuff like that) are going to make a difference, but in terms of the hardware it's hard to beat Pixels dollar for dollar.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Kild posted:

Pixel 5a are about $100 refurbished on eBay, and by multiple metrics they are better than 6a:

- has a headphone jack

- larger battery nominal capacity 4680 vs 4410

- rear fingerprint sensor is faster and more reliable than the in-glass ones

- slightly larger screen (6.34 vs 6.1) at the same resolution

- higher megapixel ultrawide than the 6a

I got one for a parent and my boyfriend and they both love it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

One problem with the 5a is that the support window is closing on it - Google only guarantees security updates until August 2024. The 6a is guaranteed to receive them up to July 2027.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en-GB

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Google only guarantees

Oh well in that case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juNqfxhirBM

johncraig
Jul 26, 2023
should i get a flip / fold phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

johncraig posted:

should i get a flip / fold phone?

Depends. I assume you’re asking about Samsung. Google pixel fold is a gen 1 I would avoid it personally.

They’ve gotten more durable, but extra moving parts are extra moving parts.

The food in particular is more expensive.

If you are in the US , check carrier promos, they tend to have good ones at launch.

Whether you want one in general is more a style preference in the end. My opinion is it’s still mostly a gimmick. But hey, big screen from the fold certainly could be useful on say the train. The flip is of course more portable. Etc. so end of the day, check promos, but up to you.

I don’t see reviews out yet, so I might recommend waiting for official reviews before pulling the trigger.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

What (if any) is the advantage of Verizon's Unlimited Welcome plan over Visible Basic plan? Or, also, Visible+ plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Nose posted:

What (if any) is the advantage of Verizon's Unlimited Welcome plan over Visible Basic plan? Or, also, Visible+ plan?

Data priority , so it’ll vary quite a bit on where you are at. There are people who use Visible and say it’s fine, and there are people who try Visible and say it is unusable.

Also, literally no customer support for Visible other than chat, if you have an issue you can’t call anyone.

There also can be discounts on phones on the Unlimited Welcome plan, although that varies quite a bit and obviously only matters if you need a phone.

I don’t know the difference between Visible basic and + .

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am on an ATT family plan with my mom who passed away. Looking to change plans/service as don't need the 3rd line (yet, kid is 10 so adding one back may be on the horizon, but not this year). Paying $230 month for my wife's and mom's lines with 3GB ($30 a line) and my line of unlimited that I've had for a decade ($45) where I usually use 5-10 GB a month. Would be cool if I could get an iphone upgrade, but not a big deal if not. Would consider bundling with home internet if it's a decent deal, currently have XFinity in the Chicago suburbs and ATT fiber is here. If it matters, mom was the primary on the account.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goddamn, we pay $150 for two unlimited phone lines plus an iPad data line on Verizon, including the phones (though those were "free" or reduced with trade-ins)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

Am on an ATT family plan with my mom who passed away. Looking to change plans/service as don't need the 3rd line (yet, kid is 10 so adding one back may be on the horizon, but not this year). Paying $230 month for my wife's and mom's lines with 3GB ($30 a line) and my line of unlimited that I've had for a decade ($45) where I usually use 5-10 GB a month. Would be cool if I could get an iphone upgrade, but not a big deal if not. Would consider bundling with home internet if it's a decent deal, currently have XFinity in the Chicago suburbs and ATT fiber is here. If it matters, mom was the primary on the account.

A. Condolences on mom passing away

B. You are massively over paying. I’m sure even staying on ATT you could call them and lower your bill. What that is don’t know.

C. I’ll give you Verizon pricing. Whether you do ATT, VZ or Tmo is up to you of course.

Verizon: 2 lines with auto pay with debit card
Unlimited plus: you get priority data with the plan, meaning other people get slowed down before you do. Also, mobile hotspot
$70 + $70 = $140

Unlimited Welcome: at times of network congestion you can be slowed down. No mobile hotspot
$55 + $55 = $110

If you are military, teacher, nurse or first responder you could get a further discount on either plan. Verizon will offer you Disney+ for $10 a month ish.

D. Question: what phones do you have ? You can either get a discount for 36 months for being your own phone, or you can get a discounted new phone.

If you want direct help switching to Verizon, PM me, I service all 50 states.

E. Regarding Comcast: you probably can cheap cell service, Comcast essentially uses their home internet bills to subsidize cell service. Main thing is data priority is all over the map (all verizon customers get data priority over Comcast), some people say the service is fine, some say it’s noticeably slower, some it’s a mix. I’m obviously going to be a bit biased here, but I think it’s certainly possible to see it vary in a bigger city like Chicago. So YMMV is the answer there.

johncraig
Jul 26, 2023
so i got the fold 4, love it, but I have one issue

i'm trying to play podcasts via either bixby or Google assistant. I use pocket cast. neither apps will let me use pocket cast. am I missing something really obvious or do I need to use spotify?

thanks

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I've got a pixel 3a right now and I've been thinking about upgrading but I'm not really sure if I should pick up a current phone or just wait another generation; I can spend up to $700 so I was looking at the Samsung or the new pixel but I've seen enough people upset with the tenor chips tendency to overheat the phone as a reason to look at other phones.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

I've got a pixel 3a right now and I've been thinking about upgrading but I'm not really sure if I should pick up a current phone or just wait another generation; I can spend up to $700 so I was looking at the Samsung or the new pixel but I've seen enough people upset with the tenor chips tendency to overheat the phone as a reason to look at other phones.

Who is your current carrier?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Who is your current carrier?

Verizon. I've heard the one plus phones are also pretty good but I'm not sure.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I have T mobile and a Pixel 4a, which I kind of hate. It intermittently stops recognizing the SIM card, the USB-C port gets clogged with junk and it isn't loud enough to let me call an interpreter and talk with my (nigh universally) deaf patients.

I don't care about anything remotely fancy. I listen to podcasts, text and occasionally look things up on the internet. I don't play games, and I don't need a cool camera. I don't care about 5g or wireless charging. I generally buy whatever phone was nifty a year or two ago.

I would like a phone that is:
1) Reliable
2) Loud if I need it to be
3) Responsive, in the sense that I don't want to hit the button for Firefox or whatever and wait ten seconds for it to load up
4) A headphone jack would be nice but I can survive without it.

The phone is ~85% covered by my work and price isn't really an issue. I use android out of habit but I can't pretend Google is less poo poo than apple, so I if the answer is just "buy an i-phone" I can cope with that.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
So I trashed my Obamaphone that has an Assurance Wireless plan. Sim card should still work I would think just cracked screens with moisture damage to kill the screen. Could I just get an unlocked S21 and pop the sim in and be good to go?

Surely it isn't that easy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MaximilianK posted:

So I trashed my Obamaphone that has an Assurance Wireless plan. Sim card should still work I would think just cracked screens with moisture damage to kill the screen. Could I just get an unlocked S21 and pop the sim in and be good to go?

Surely it isn't that easy.

I don’t know the setup for Assurance, but that is likely correct, but any compatible phone, pop in SIM and good to go. S21 should work on any carrier in the US.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
Is there a place where I should buy a refirb or is amazon/newegg/walmart with checking the seller out fine?

I'm also not married to the S21 but I am to android. My budget is $250-$300 including screen protector and case.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MaximilianK posted:

Is there a place where I should buy a refirb or is amazon/newegg/walmart with checking the seller out fine?

I'm also not married to the S21 but I am to android. My budget is $250-$300 including screen protector and case.

Swappa.com is fairly reliable

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I have T mobile and a Pixel 4a, which I kind of hate. It intermittently stops recognizing the SIM card, the USB-C port gets clogged with junk and it isn't loud enough to let me call an interpreter and talk with my (nigh universally) deaf patients.

I don't care about anything remotely fancy. I listen to podcasts, text and occasionally look things up on the internet. I don't play games, and I don't need a cool camera. I don't care about 5g or wireless charging. I generally buy whatever phone was nifty a year or two ago.

I would like a phone that is:
1) Reliable
2) Loud if I need it to be
3) Responsive, in the sense that I don't want to hit the button for Firefox or whatever and wait ten seconds for it to load up
4) A headphone jack would be nice but I can survive without it.

The phone is ~85% covered by my work and price isn't really an issue. I use android out of habit but I can't pretend Google is less poo poo than apple, so I if the answer is just "buy an i-phone" I can cope with that.

I just got a "CAT S22 rugged flip phone" as an adjunct to my other PDA. So far I can't complain, but I wouldn't recommend it as your only option. It is well made, inexpensive, and functional. The cons are that the typing is miserable, battery is only so so (but can be replaced), and the screen isn't the greatest. For a "new" phone to do all of that, I can't complain.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
My wire's Galaxy s10e is starting to have problems. What would be an up-to-date equivalent? We're in the USA on T-Mobile.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dhamster posted:

My wire's Galaxy s10e is starting to have problems. What would be an up-to-date equivalent? We're in the USA on T-Mobile.

S23 regular. I would check with T-Mobile to see what the trade in promo is.

Also, Flip 5 if you’re willing to do the folding phone thing, but honestly this is more if they happen to have some bigger promo on the Flip, otherwise I would just do the S23.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Got an A54.

Killer_B fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 8, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I couldn't find a consensus on the Pixel 7a.

I never heard of pixel pass... I have Google Fi as my carrier and it was 10 bucks a month for 2 years to get a free upgrade which sounds similar?

I'm eligible to get a 7a for free and keep my 5a.

Does anyone else have the phone subscription plan through Fi? I assume if I don't get 7a I'm just not getting a free phone. Like I can't wait for the 8 right?

Is the 7a a good phone generally? I watched a few videos it seems fine?

I can't see a reason not to get it.. I can cancel the subscription service but honestly a 7 a for 240 bucks over 2 years seems like a good deal? It's actually 15 a month but the other 5 is the device protection plan and they fix a cracked screen twice over the period. I used it to get free replacement screens done at iFixit locations here.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wendigee posted:

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I couldn't find a consensus on the Pixel 7a.

I never heard of pixel pass... I have Google Fi as my carrier and it was 10 bucks a month for 2 years to get a free upgrade which sounds similar?

I'm eligible to get a 7a for free and keep my 5a.

Does anyone else have the phone subscription plan through Fi? I assume if I don't get 7a I'm just not getting a free phone. Like I can't wait for the 8 right?

Is the 7a a good phone generally? I watched a few videos it seems fine?

I can't see a reason not to get it.. I can cancel the subscription service but honestly a 7 a for 240 bucks over 2 years seems like a good deal? It's actually 15 a month but the other 5 is the device protection plan and they fix a cracked screen twice over the period. I used it to get free replacement screens done at iFixit locations here.

I have a 7, I'm very happy with it. I honestly haven't heard a ton about the 7a, so I wouldn't be able to give you much to compare. My other phone is a 4a, and I'm pretty happy with that, too, for the price I paid. Still holds up decently for what I use it for.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The 6a I got for my dad was so nice I almost gave him my 6 and kept the 6a for myself. The better cameras on the 6 were pretty much the only reason I kept it. From what I understand the 7a is similarly nice.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Howdy y'all, temperature check time—

Would you like a new OP/thread?

I'm updating what I can and as this is an important fixture to the phone content here. I figured I'd ask you fine folks if we should start anew to hopefully rope in more posters with a more timely OP and less-intimidating number of pages

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 15, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Mercury posted:

Howdy y'all, temperature check time—

Would you like a new OP/thread?

I'm updating what I can and as this is an important fixture to the phone content here. I figured I'd ask you fine folks if we should start anew to hopefully rope in more posters with a more timely OP and less-intimidating number of pages

Sure.

Phone stuff both stays the same and changes yearly enough where I would keep any OP pretty basic.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Sure.

Phone stuff both stays the same and changes yearly enough where I would keep any OP pretty basic.

Hey Duckman, I think the mod is looking for somebody to volunteer to make the OP, Duckman.

Duckman.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

Hey Duckman, I think the mod is looking for somebody to volunteer to make the OP, Duckman.

Duckman.

Oh. I def did not read that right lol.

I mean, I guess I would be one of the main ones who should make one. iPhone launch week isn’t exactly optimal time, but I’ll try and think through and set something up for this month.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I make it a point not to ask people to do things I wouldn't do myself, so there's no pressure if you don't want to do it :) if you'd like me to do it that's fine too: just post and let me know your wishes

\/\/ yeah, a few cobwebs in this subforum eh?

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 16, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I didn't realize the OP of the thread is from 2008. :stare:

I wonder if a brief primer on the basics of the US cellular market might be helpful, or at least a link to same? I feel like a lot of people don't realize how weird and artificial the market is here, and don't realize we're down to 3 carriers (well, 3.5 if you count Dish, maybe) and that every other service is an MVNO. Or how few phone options we get compared to the rest of the world because of carrier subsidies and agreements. Or the difference between carrier models and unlocked phones. Stuff like that.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I wonder if a brief primer on the basics of the US cellular market might be helpful, or at least a link to same? I feel like a lot of people don't realize how weird and artificial the market is here, and don't realize we're down to 3 carriers (well, 3.5 if you count Dish, maybe) and that every other service is an MVNO. Or how few phone options we get compared to the rest of the world because of carrier subsidies and agreements. Or the difference between carrier models and unlocked phones. Stuff like that.

It's a good OP, actually! Really, the only thing I'd change outside of the formatting to make the instructions more explicit is context of the market RE: features/the disappearance of ports/the end of performance stratification

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mr. Mercury posted:

It's a good OP, actually! Really, the only thing I'd change outside of the formatting to make the instructions more explicit is context of the market RE: features/the disappearance of ports/the end of performance stratification

That's a good point - frontloading the fact that SD cards and 3.5mm jacks are almost gone, and that SIM cards might be next, could be useful.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Edited in 2012 !

I read the first page and yeah, it’s crazy looking back and seeing the differences.

I can make a new OP in the next few weeks, it would be pretty straight forward , but to the other persons point, do we need a new OP / thread or not ? I’m pretty 50/50, but happy to re make one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Edited in 2012 !

I read the first page and yeah, it’s crazy looking back and seeing the differences.

I can make a new OP in the next few weeks, it would be pretty straight forward , but to the other persons point, do we need a new OP / thread or not ? I’m pretty 50/50, but happy to re make one.

By it's nature I think the thread works okay as it is, so I'm also inclined to think it's a lower priority. I do think having some educational/explanatory resources in the OP could be good, but they could always be edited in to the existing OP. I do have some personal bias because the last few years have been a crash course in phones and carriers for me, and I feel like a lot of people are in the same boat I was before that rude awakening.