Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I wonder if we're going to get any story content with Topaz, I assume 1.4 will be wrapping up Xianzhou and moving onto the next planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it's a space pig it can have any name :argh:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Not So Fast posted:

I wonder if we're going to get any story content with Topaz, I assume 1.4 will be wrapping up Xianzhou and moving onto the next planet?

Yes, from the most recent set of datamines regarding story content, 1.4 should at least tell us where we're going next, and it's going to involve IPC pretty heavily. Right now it's not entirely clear whether we'll actually get any significant content for the new planet in 1.4 or if it'll get its true debut in 1.6.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I keep thinking the pig is Nimby

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm an old so my brain keeps thinking Gumby. :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Gumby is probably the right direction to thin, pronunciation-wise, because otherwise it's nummy which is probably worse.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Clarste posted:

Gumby is probably the right direction to thin, pronunciation-wise, because otherwise it's nummy which is probably worse.

The lore entries for trotters do say they're delicious... (also inedible, but hey)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

NeonPunk posted:

Yeah no, no, absolutely no, out of the question. It was pushing the line by adding a straight-up terrorist who bombed, murdered, assassinated, incited a revolution, and all other bad stuff, to the team. But adding a debt collector? That's just far too depraved and evil for even me to suspend my disbelief anymore.

Your honor those are sexy crimes and my client looked incredibly hot doing them. I move to acquit her.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Eimi posted:

Your honor those are sexy crimes and my client looked incredibly hot doing them. I move to acquit her.

... is this why they intentionally made Topaz showing more skin and cleavage in comparison to the other characters? So we can simply give her a pass on her job?

That's some dirty manipulation on Mihoyo side

NeonPunk fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 16, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

... is this why they intentionally made Topaz showing more skin and cleavage in comparison to the other characters? So we can simply give her a pass on her job?

except she isn't?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

221/300. getting there.

still no idea who to pick but prolly the dragon girl for revives and being cute

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

UHD posted:

except she isn't?

She doesn't wear pants my god

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
in space, we don't need pants

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Any day in which I am forced to wear pants is a bad day.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gonna be honest working from home has entirely soured me on the concept of wearing pants at all, ever

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Numby's Chinese name is still Zhangzhang, the character used means "account" as in "bank account", and doubled as a diminuitive. Thus in English, (bank) Numbers -> Numby.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NeonPunk posted:

This is a weird gimmick

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tae posted:

This is a weird gimmick

I would've figured that SA would have aged beyond puriteens, and yet.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Tae posted:

This is a weird gimmick

You don't see a problem with the Astral Rail Express letting a debt collector on the team?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

For the record I was talking about Kafka, who has never done anything wrong in her life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UHD posted:

The premise of the game is traveling the universe. Our time at each location is therefore finite. The main story is not going to go into every location in great depth because we’re never going to be at any one location long enough for it to matter. Relegating those sorts of details to side quests solves that problem - they can add those at their leisure without worrying about making those details relevant to the greater plot.

The game also makes it seem like you can just casually travel back to Belobog or the space station though, so I'm not sure if we're supposed to interpret that as a weird gameplay abstraction or a thing that is actually possible because of the way the star rail works. Like it'll explicitly have "you traveling back and forth between these places" happen in side-quests, like the one where you bring robots from Belobog to the cult people.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The characters we pull all famously joined us on our journey and were in all future story quests and texting us daily for more than a week.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

You don't see a problem with the Astral Rail Express letting a debt collector on the team?

Chad face: No.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

actually no i don't have a problem with enlisting a villain on my entirely-in-gameplay team. it's fiction and my video game party is not indicative of my personal morals. who gives a poo poo.

Ytlaya posted:

The game also makes it seem like you can just casually travel back to Belobog or the space station though, so I'm not sure if we're supposed to interpret that as a weird gameplay abstraction or a thing that is actually possible because of the way the star rail works. Like it'll explicitly have "you traveling back and forth between these places" happen in side-quests, like the one where you bring robots from Belobog to the cult people.

there's always going to be abstractions in travel for the player. my point was more than the main story probably isn't ever going to have you go back and forth between worlds you've already "completed." you're going to move on to a new one once you finish whatever's going on in the current one, even if the astral express can theoretically do it. side quests can do whatever they want; they're not bound by the main quest's constraints, including riding the astral express all over the place.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the game already has serveal cops who cares if there is a sexy debt collector

oh i care because i will probably roll for her

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

We don't know an awful lot about Topaz, but right in her intro blurb there's a few telling things. First, she's the leader of the "Special Debts Picket Team", which implies that she's not exactly the kind of goon that comes around and repossesses your car because you're late on your payments. Second, she's one of ten major characters in the IPC, which again implies that she's more about the big, planetary-scale problems than the low-level poo poo. And her quote, if it'd been presented without any of the other text, would be considered quite positively by everyone.

All in all, I expect that she's more of a special agent than a traditional debt collector. I'd reserve judgment on her until we see more of the story.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zurai posted:

All in all, I expect that she's more of a special agent than a traditional debt collector. I'd reserve judgment on her until we see more of the story.

that is even worse! lol

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i dont care even a little bit what my video game characters fake job is

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Turns out the Himeko has been racking up debt to pay for her candy crush addiction and we'll need to break her out of jail.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The more hosed up and evil a character is = the better they are.

See: Lobelia from Granblue Fantasy

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

that is even worse! lol

OK, this I have to hear. How is being Space Jane Bond worse than being a scummy repo woman?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cygames had to include a disclaimer when you bought the Lobelia summer costume cuz of how hosed up he is...Star rail needs something like that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I'm ambivalent about Topaz because all we know is that blurb and what we know about the IPC in general.

If her vibes are cool, I'll probably pull for her, assuming I have anything left after Fu Xuan. :v:

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
One of the later luofu quests has a character from there join you on a trip to Belobog, so yes we're explicitly going back and forth along the star rail. Heck, in the opening of the game DH and March are on the station before the express gets there, so it was off somewhere else with Welt.

That same quest mentioned Jarilo iv was receiving IPC ships now, so there are definitely going to be more crossovers between the various stops in the future, just like with Genshin

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zurai posted:

OK, this I have to hear. How is being Space Jane Bond worse than being a scummy repo woman?

because she is still technically a repo woman but also james bond! lol
bond is literally a monster so i think we may just have different value systems at work here, lmao

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

when are we getting a 5 star landlord

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Reading the Databank, the IPC already controls galactic commerce. Credits are the IPC's company scrip. Amber Era, the worst calendar system, is their dating system.

And what do they do with all that power and wealth? They gather resources to help Qlipoth build its wall because they started off as a Qlipoth cult.

They are boring and Topaz will probably be boring too.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kiavahr posted:

One of the later luofu quests has a character from there join you on a trip to Belobog, so yes we're explicitly going back and forth along the star rail. Heck, in the opening of the game DH and March are on the station before the express gets there, so it was off somewhere else with Welt.

That same quest mentioned Jarilo iv was receiving IPC ships now, so there are definitely going to be more crossovers between the various stops in the future, just like with Genshin

Remember we're traveling universes here, not through space. The Express jumps from leaf to leaf on the Imaginary Tree. So the travel time is presumably not that much once the tracks are fixed. This also how there are two Bronya's in the game, both Belobolg and Punklorde are in different universes.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

because she is still technically a repo woman but also james bond! lol
bond is literally a monster so i think we may just have different value systems at work here, lmao

Yeah, I think so, especially since I was obviously using "Space Jane Bond" as a shortcut rather than to refer to the literal character of James Bond. The latter absolutely has some problematic elements (misogyny, imperialism, Sean Connery's version was almost as much of a rapist as he was), but at least James Bond's targets were almost all wealthy, powerful, and inarguably evil. A repo man's targets are the most downtrodden and persecuted elements of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I'm totally cool with (and maybe even slightly prefer?) playable characters being villains and/or not good people. Everything hints to IPC being not good people. I'm not even talking about criminals with hearts of gold, or villains with tragic backstories or redeemable qualities. Just straight-up bad people.

I'm in the camp where Numby reminds me of Nimby, so maybe it's just me, I'm around too many bad people.

Eimi posted:

Remember we're traveling universes here, not through space. The Express jumps from leaf to leaf on the Imaginary Tree. So the travel time is presumably not that much once the tracks are fixed. This also how there are two Bronya's in the game, both Belobolg and Punklorde are in different universes.

:aaa:

Does it mention that everywhere? I mean, this kinda makes sense. I'd assumed we were just traveling through space since you could see out the window of the train and they made the outside look space-y.