Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I agree, but then at one point she was also in the US Bionic Woman series and had a guest appearance on Jekyl that everyone seemed excited about.

Though now that I've typed that I'm not sure who everyone was. Maybe just my mum because she liked Eastenders?

Ooft. She was third lead.

Gonna be that nerd and say that Ryan has been kind of good on radio. The play about her dad and his (lol) trophy wife was very good for her and her character.

howe_sam posted:

still slowly rewatching season 5 ahead of the Ringerverse episode on the Matt Smith years. The Beast Below with maybe one or two more passes on the script could've been a real banger. As it stands the opening is great (Doctor: "Remember Amy, we never get involved. Also Doctor: *immediately gets involved when he sees the crying kid*), and the ending is great, but the middle is pretty mushy.

Was this one the first episode they shot? I know they held off on filming Eleventh Hour so the cast had time to let their chemistry set, but I don't know which episodes were filmed ahead of it.

I can't remember the order they shot it in, but Beast Below underwent significant rewrites and reshoots. About half of it was reshot by (an uncredited) Euros Lyn.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

howe_sam posted:

still slowly rewatching season 5 ahead of the Ringerverse episode on the Matt Smith years. The Beast Below with maybe one or two more passes on the script could've been a real banger. As it stands the opening is great (Doctor: "Remember Amy, we never get involved. Also Doctor: *immediately gets involved when he sees the crying kid*), and the ending is great, but the middle is pretty mushy.

Was this one the first episode they shot? I know they held off on filming Eleventh Hour so the cast had time to let their chemistry set, but I don't know which episodes were filmed ahead of it.

Nope, that would be the Angels two-parter. The shots on the beach were the first series 5 scenes to be filmed.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Remember when Michelle Ryan seemed like she might be a big star?

What, you mean Cockneys vs. Zombies wasn't a blockbuster success? :v:

(though I do have a bit of affection for that film, since it has Alan Ford, Honor Blackman, Richard Briers, and Tony Selby in it; and as far as zombie apocalypse films go, it wasn't the worst one of those I've ever seen, even though it was a complete flop)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Right, River Song was cool at one point, but rapidly became one of the most obnoxious characters on the show.

And it’s not really even Kingston’s fault, it’s 100% Moffat huffing his own farts because he fell in love with a pet character. There’s absolutely nothing fun about watching a character who’s constantly smug about being ten steps ahead of the audience and the rest of the characters. It becomes a total chore to watch those episodes when characters are written that way and Moffat loving loved doing it.

She was so one-note and uninteresting because of it and it continues to baffle me how she became so beloved.
I will give Moffat this much: it makes sense she's ten steps ahead of the Doctor when she first shows up, because she's at the end of her timeline where she knows more than the Doctor does. But the steps ahead should have been dialled back on subsequent appearances as she got less ahead of the Doctor and the Doctor caught up with her.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I can't remember the order they shot it in, but Beast Below underwent significant rewrites and reshoots. About half of it was reshot by (an uncredited) Euros Lyn.

You can kind of tell since the opening is a kid being dumped down an elevator shaft by an automaton reciting a creepy nursery rhyme and then ends at "Be nice to space whales," with a few stops at random places inbetween. They got a solid story out of the throughout, but there's a ton of things hanging on it that don't make any sense in that context.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Warthur posted:

I will give Moffat this much: it makes sense she's ten steps ahead of the Doctor when she first shows up, because she's at the end of her timeline where she knows more than the Doctor does. But the steps ahead should have been dialled back on subsequent appearances as she got less ahead of the Doctor and the Doctor caught up with her.

The Husbands of River Song is literally about this flip.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Husbands was a good River showing, I think

Mostly because she's on the back foot for a change?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
My favorite River Song episodes or the just that she's in are the time of angels/flesh and stone and the husbands of river song. I think Steven Moffat handled her arc the best in those.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Confusedslight posted:

My favorite River Song episodes or the just that she's in are the time of angels/flesh and stone and the husbands of river song. I think Steven Moffat handled her arc the best in those.

Right, those are easily her best appearances outside of her RTD-era debut. It’s every other appearance that’s kinda grating.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The fun was in watching her know more than everybody else, then becoming the one who knew the least.

I don't get the "huffing his own farts" dig. It was unusual for The Doctor to have somebody in his life more in the know and every bit as capable as him, and he loved her dearly. It was novel.

I know it would be handled poorly if done, but it never sat right with me that he just left her in the library. Her consciousness is still out there and in all of time and space, there has to be a way to bring her back.

It'd be the wrong move on a thematic level, but I'm a giant sap and I still want to see it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like River, best romantic partner for the Doctor yet. Dating the companion he drags around space and time has been done and probably shouldn't have been, Clara would've been a better companion to try that with if they hadn't before and absolutely needed to.

I thought the River arc was fun and a good foil for the most part, I can see leaning more into her knowing him less more being cool too. Their last episode together always chokes me up. If anything I wouldn't have mind trading a River EP or 2 for different ones where they hang out alone for a bit not in just a passing crisis, but still doing weirder poo poo only two superbeingish time-travelers can do.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There was, during Moffat's run, an extremely popular paranoid assumption that Moffat's writing was borne out of arrogance or spite. Many people cling to this baseless assumption to this day.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

There was, during Moffat's run, an extremely popular paranoid assumption that Moffat's writing was borne out of arrogance or spite. Many people cling to this baseless assumption to this day.

I never thought his writing was done out of arrogance or spite, but rather out of an adolescent need for his favorite TV show to be the hippest and coolest and biggest show ever. Which he achieved, at least for a time, but the way he did so pretty much convinced me that NuWho just wasn't for me and (other than giving Jodie Whittaker's first season a shot) I pretty much gave up on it partway through Smith's second season.

Though I give him full credit for the 50th anniversary special. That was just the right sort of fanwanky.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah my problem with Moffats run is just how godlike the doctor became, and even that had its moments. But like a god, they're at their best when in the end you can't be sure they existed at all. I like Doctor best when they are a trickster imp inspiring folks to solve their problems and tripping up villains on their own bullshit.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Yeah my problem with Moffats run is just how godlike the doctor became, and even that had its moments. But like a god, they're at their best when in the end you can't be sure they existed at all. I like Doctor best when they are a trickster imp inspiring folks to solve their problems and tripping up villains on their own bullshit.

RTD is the one who made him Space Jesus.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

RTD made the Doctor Dobby Gollum Space Jesus (who met the literal Devil)

Moffat is the one who made the Doctor the hipster nerd that was somehow embraced by millions (before he became an older Scotsman and the ratings dropped)

Chibnall made the Doctor...well, a charismatic Doctor who happened to be a woman, but that was really more due to Jodie Whittaker herself than anything Chibnall did

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

RTD made the Doctor Dobby Gollum Space Jesus (who met the literal Devil)

Yeah, I feel like people just kind of forget about all the Time Lord Victorious bullshit near the end of Tennant's run.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Oh I thought that was referring to the part where everyone in the world had to cheer the doctor and he floated up in to the air and magically got young again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao I love the Tinkerbell solution. It's the Masters fault for linking humans psychically

The worst part of that episode is when it flashes back to Martha travelling the world to tell the story, but basically just shows her telling the one group we saw her do it with, which happened like 5 minutes ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

Husbands was a good River showing, I think

Mostly because she's on the back foot for a change?

Yeah, I loved The Husbands of River Song. 12's delivery on,"Hello Sweetie" was :discourse:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Boxturret posted:

Oh I thought that was referring to the part where everyone in the world had to cheer the doctor and he floated up in to the air and magically got young again.

I mean, it was a gradual burn. Tennant met the literal Devil in The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit in season 2. Tinkerbell was season 3. And the Time Lord Victorious bullshit was during the Year of Specials.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Timby posted:

Yeah, I feel like people just kind of forget about all the Time Lord Victorious bullshit near the end of Tennant's run.

In fairness, the time elapsed between I AM TIME LORD VICTORIOUS and OH NO WHAT HAVE I DONE is what, like, 150 seconds?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Khanstant posted:

Lmao I love the Tinkerbell solution. It's the Masters fault for linking humans psychically

The worst part of that episode is when it flashes back to Martha travelling the world to tell the story, but basically just shows her telling the one group we saw her do it with, which happened like 5 minutes ago.

The best part is Martha looking the Master dead in the eye and saying "you really believed the magic gun story? god you're such a loving dumbass".

The worst part isn't that, however; it's that for the resolution of the series to make thematic sense, "The Shakespeare Code" becomes unskippable, and that episode ranks up there with Talons for just how badly it otherwise aged. (Hell, "Bad Wolf" hinges on the cultural zeitgeist of its production and that didn't age as badly.)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Having the the 10th doctor as jesus was not my favourite part of the rtd era.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, the DWM 60th poll results for Twelve and Thirteen dropped today and, well, the results are interesting.

https://twitter.com/verissimoallan/status/1691868211443126765?s=46

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How so? I don’t think there’s much to quibble about there? Heaven Sent should probably be top of 12, but it sounds pretty close to opinions in here.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TinTower posted:

Also, the DWM 60th poll results for Twelve and Thirteen dropped today and, well, the results are interesting.

https://twitter.com/verissimoallan/status/1691868211443126765?s=46

Under the Lake/Before the Flood is a solid pick for worst story of the entire revival, and they put it eighth?! And I know Kill the Moon is a love it or hate it story, but you'd think that that would land it somewhere in the middle instead of almost last.

The only thing I'll say about the Whitaker list is that Spyfall was so bad it caused me to give up on the show altogether, and I only came back the next week because of everybody saying how much worse Orphan 55 was (turns out, it's incredibly average, but way better than Spyfall!) So naturally that gets placed dead last.

Also I didn't watch it, but was Flux such a coherent and serialized story that they needed to deflate Whitaker's episode count by listing it as a single episode?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rochallor posted:

Also I didn't watch it, but was Flux such a coherent and serialized story that they needed to deflate Whitaker's episode count by listing it as a single episode?

Flux was a mess with good bits and bad bits. Lots of bad bits. Putting it all as one big story is doing it a massive disservice however. Individually, the Village of the Angels episode is one of Whittaker’s best of her whole run.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Flux was a mess with good bits and bad bits. Lots of bad bits. Putting it all as one big story is doing it a massive disservice however. Individually, the Village of the Angels episode is one of Whittaker’s best of her whole run.

Yeah, Village of the Angels was about 95% great, only falling down with the ending which was just a bump to the next episode. Though that lack of endings might be why they smushed Flux together.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The worst episode of the entire revival can only be In the Forest of the Night, for going beyond bad television and becoming a potential danger to children's health

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I think the 12th doctor list is broadly right. Oxygen might be a little high though.
edit: lol at orphan 55 being at the bottom of 13s list where it rightfully belongs.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 17, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

How so? I don’t think there’s much to quibble about there? Heaven Sent should probably be top of 12, but it sounds pretty close to opinions in here.

It Takes You Away is not worse than Flux (or any other 13th doctor story)

Rochallor posted:

Under the Lake/Before the Flood is a solid pick for worst story of the entire revival

There's multiple stories in the same series worse than it!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Just got to The Ambassadors of Death in my full-series rewatch and drat it's good to finally get that cliffhanger synthesiser sting.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Heaven Sent should have been first, it’s a loving masterpiece, but World Enough and Time is amazing as well. I still think about the implications of that black hole spaceship from time to time, such a cool setting and a natural fit for what happens in it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's multiple stories in the same series worse than it!

Hard disagree, I'm higher on Series 9 than a lot of people but as far as I'm concerned that's the series' only bum note. Even Sleep No More is at least an interesting failure.

Warthur posted:

Just got to The Ambassadors of Death in my full-series rewatch and drat it's good to finally get that cliffhanger synthesiser sting.

The Ambassadors... OF DEATH! title reveal gets bandied about a lot but more than that it nails the cliffhangers so much better than anything that comes after. They're so abrupt and send out the episodes on a high note. Compare the cliffhanger of episode 2 (start from about 22:50) with just about any other cliffhanger, which consist of 30 seconds to a minute at the end of an episode of the Doctor gurning on the floor/the Master laughing maniacally/a companion screaming in silent horror as the sting plays over the final moments of the episode.

Here? "Right, cut it open!" Sting over credits. Bam.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Under The Lake/Before The Flood is pretty decent. I honestly prefer it to quite a few other stories in that season, though I think I like the first two Maisie Williams stories more. Particularly the second one, which has some very strong emotional content for the character. Heaven Sent is very good too.

TinTower posted:

The worst part isn't that, however; it's that for the resolution of the series to make thematic sense, "The Shakespeare Code" becomes unskippable, and that episode ranks up there with Talons for just how badly it otherwise aged.

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but is this just a reference the two-odd references to Harry Potter or is there something else here?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It Takes You Away is not worse than Flux (or any other 13th doctor story)

Oh wow, you’re very right! I didn’t see that at all, it should be top 3 easily.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rosa right above Demons of the Punjab

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Under The Lake/Before The Flood is pretty decent. I honestly prefer it to quite a few other stories in that season, though I think I like the first two Maisie Williams stories more. Particularly the second one, which has some very strong emotional content for the character. Heaven Sent is very good too.

The only good idea that story has is the decoy Soviet village thing, which it doesn't really do anything with. And like with The God Complex, it's another idea Toby Whithouse nicked from The Curse of Fenric but did it worse.

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but is this just a reference the two-odd references to Harry Potter or is there something else here?

I'm guessing it's in reference to Gareth Roberts being a transphobe. Which surprisingly is unrelated to the Harry Potter references!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rochallor posted:

The Ambassadors... OF DEATH! title reveal gets bandied about a lot but more than that it nails the cliffhangers so much better than anything that comes after. They're so abrupt and send out the episodes on a high note. Compare the cliffhanger of episode 2 (start from about 22:50) with just about any other cliffhanger, which consist of 30 seconds to a minute at the end of an episode of the Doctor gurning on the floor/the Master laughing maniacally/a companion screaming in silent horror as the sting plays over the final moments of the episode.

Here? "Right, cut it open!" Sting over credits. Bam.
Yeah, the episode 1 cliffhanger is so well-handled too. You go from "this character is being stressed-out and a bit obstructive" to "there's something wrong, they're standing in a weird place" to "OH poo poo GUN in the space of seconds.

That said, I think the sting really helps in general. It adds spice to a good cliffhanger, perks up a mediocre one, and whilst it can't save a bad cliffhanger, it does at least announce that the ordeal is over.