Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Wow, 250 new posts in capitalism.png thread, did america finally die or what? *checks thread* oh... oh no

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I kinda like the periodic invasions by weird dnd partisans. they’re like vaccine boosters to help keep me ideologically sharp.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Sir, can you point out which officer of the Department of Education forced you at gun point to go to college?

I know what’s coming, guys could you PLEASE be inventive in your excuses why you had to go to expensive schools instead of:

-community college

-apprenticing a trade

-becoming a cook

-using free online resources to learn a skill

-using a public library since credentials are bullshit

-engaging in (non military)public service for loan forgiveness

-just not going to college because you don’t want to participate in the workforce with that credential because it’s bullshit.

…and you want a real alternative yada yada and how Reagan and Neoliberalism destroyed public education since 1980 and if you only lived in Europe (meaning FRANCE not Montenegro or Bulgaria) you would go for free.

lol you loving idiot this isn't even functional yet.

The Sean has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Aug 16, 2023

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Bush v Gore, 9/11, and the Tuck Rule game all occurred within a year or so.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

The Sean posted:

lol you loving idiot this isn't even functional yet.

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

Had multiple co-workers getting this a decade ago when I had a government job.

They passed up leaving for slightly more money because the loan forgiveness was worth more.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Sir, can you point out which officer of the Department of Education forced you at gun point to go to college?

I know what’s coming, guys could you PLEASE be inventive in your excuses why you had to go to expensive schools instead of:

-community college

-apprenticing a trade

-becoming a cook

-just not going to college because you don’t want to participate in the workforce with that credential because it’s bullshit.

…and you want a real alternative yada yada and how Reagan and Neoliberalism destroyed public education since 1980 and if you only lived in Europe (meaning FRANCE not Montenegro or Bulgaria) you would go for free.

just catching up on the thread, you really suck rear end

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I am 30 or 40 years old, I have a rich dad, and thats right I say f*ck words, you poo poo gibbon who works at the poop factory

vote Joe Biden

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

They passed up leaving for slightly more money because the loan forgiveness was worth more.

oh yeah PSLF, the thing Bush got us

gop ftw

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

You posted a list of rules (something libs get boned up on) but no proof of it working. The issue was not that I didn't know what you were referring to. The issue is that what you were referring to hasn't helped in the way that you imagine it has. And it's pretty lovely to shame people over something you don't know about.

Your anecdote also doesn't even have any proof of it working--just that someone didn't leave a job bc they thought that the program would work out. I know someone who meets all of those rules and they still haven't had it waived.

edit: okay, they're finally maybe starting soon: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-administration-begins-wiping-student-loan-debt-804000/story?id=102264052

The Sean has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Aug 16, 2023

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

-community college

-apprenticing a trade

-becoming a cook

if this is a troll, well played

if not, i feel that you are a bad person and hope you learn to be a better one

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

When I was in college it was the republicans saying this all the time btw

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

i did not know or remember this was a real post. I thought someone on the forums made it up to be funny lol

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This morning on the way to work I stopped at my regular gas station for a drink. There were two police cars, a fire truck and an ambulance.
Talking to the clerk, they had found someone in the parking lot who had overdosed on something, and her companion was trying to give her CPR. By the time the ambulance arrived with lights and sirens, she had already gone blue and hadn't been breathing for several minutes. The ambulance loaded her into the back and left without lights and sirens. They have had another person overdose in the parking lot less than a week ago. It has been an average of 100 degrees for the last week (peaking at 111), which is dangerous enough for someone living on the street without the drug induced thermoregulation problems.

The gas pump I used had this sticker on it, and I took a picture of it today.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Finally, some good agitprop stickers on gas pumps .

The left is experiencing a gap in petty vandalism capability and we need to close it. Criticizing this system is shooting fish in a barrel, but most of what you see out there is just hateful nonsense or conspiracy theories.

speaking of things needing vandalism.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 19:06 on Aug 16, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

skooma512 posted:

If I saw that here I'd 100% think it was saying "the law doesn't let RICH PEOPLE sleep under bridges either so it's FAIR that we bulldoze homeless encampments"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The only stickers I see on gas pumps here though are little cutouts of joe biden pointing at the gas price readout and saying "I DID THAT!" that I like to pull off and stick to other stuff, like some nearby graffiti that said "gently caress NO BLESS gently caress TRUMP"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Blockade posted:

it’s still a republican saying it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

skooma512 posted:

The left is experiencing a gap in petty vandalism capability and we need to close it. Criticizing this system is shooting fish in a barrel, but most of what you see out there is just hateful nonsense or conspiracy theories.

can someone on a computer look up that case

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Sure are a Lotta posts in this thread todaaaAAAHHH

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

skooma512 posted:

Ah nice I've driven by that before too, such a bizarre attempt at intimidation

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

HEY NCAA
GIVE REGGIE BUSH BACK HIS HEISMAN

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Ah nice I've driven by that before too, such a bizarre attempt at intimidation

What I want to know is why they aren't tagged up already. It's a white billboard! It's free real estate!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Blockade posted:

It's interesting how partisans flip their principles on a dime to agree with whatever the party is doing.

Touting the dribs and drabs of loan forgiveness Biden is managing as wise and wonderful policy, but the loans he isn't forgiving well why should you be bailed out of a choice no one forced you to make?

And if Biden found one weird trick to rescue his 20k loan forgiveness EO tomorrow, that guy would sing a different tune immediately

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Mods please change my name to BIDEN APOLOGIST 2024, thanx. ETERNAL BIDEN SIMP is also acceptable.

I mean, “just don’t pay the loans” is a perfectly viable alternative. Nobody needs to bootstrap if they don’t want to.

they actually can't even if they want to, I hope this helps you, as a not-poor engaging in business transactions worth many millions of dollars, to understand what life might be like for the 6.9 billion people on earth who do not enjoy your many luxuries

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

I wish that guy would come back and fight some more. It's fun when all of cspam is united against one easy to own shithead. Also, a good learning environment for goons who are new to how depraved libs have become.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Well, I took a look here, it appears trustworthy:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_weeklyhospitaladmissions_weeklydeathrateaa_0

When you sort the data by hospitalizations and deaths per week (not cumulative deaths) there is a MONSTER peak just when Biden takes office in early 2021 then a big collapse shortly after when the vaccines hit.

Later on there are other big peaks around Summer and Xmas 2021 as variants take hold. Then another collapse as people adjust.

Relative steady state across 2022 and 2023 with many deaths and hospitalizations but nowhere near those peaks.

Feel free to believe it’s like AIDS in 1983 out there if you want.

lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Talking about the ACA

Like it's a good thing

Lmao

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

I am the dude in your neighborhood who is the loving first on line for those vaccines like I’m trying to get Taylor Swift tickets.

remote learning was a poo poo show in the gently caress factory

has anyone met anyone that talks like this irl?

unrelated pic:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Blockade posted:

has anyone met anyone that talks like this irl?

unrelated pic:

I didn’t know Bruce Tinsley had another cartoon besides Mallard Filmore

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I wish that guy would come back and fight some more. It's fun when all of cspam is united against one easy to own shithead. Also, a good learning environment for goons who are new to how depraved libs have become.

Mods said I have to post pictures and I can’t be bothered, so either give up or create a thread to dunk on me. I don’t want to catch a ban.

I’m always happy to debate.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Mods said I have to post pictures and I can’t be bothered, so either give up or create a thread to dunk on me. I don’t want to catch a ban.

Just post a picture of like a hammer and sickle or something and then type your drivel underneath. Come on! You know you want to.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

:justpost: That rule has never been enforced in this thread until now.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

jetz0r posted:

Trump has been the most materially beneficial president of my life. I got a year and a half of enhanced UI, before Biden cut me off on labor Day. Trump sent my wife and I a bunch of checks, while Biden still owes me $600. My parents and I also got full EBT allotments and medi-cal enrollment. There were even free school lunches available for everyone. All that poo poo went away after Biden took office.

gently caress, I even got to go to some fun protests under Trump.

Dude was a fascist, but he improved my life far more than any democrat has.

gently caress yes, this is truth!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Well, I took a look here, it appears trustworthy:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_weeklyhospitaladmissions_weeklydeathrateaa_0

When you sort the data by hospitalizations and deaths per week (not cumulative deaths) there is a MONSTER peak just when Biden takes office in early 2021 then a big collapse shortly after when the vaccines hit.

Later on there are other big peaks around Summer and Xmas 2021 as variants take hold. Then another collapse as people adjust.

Relative steady state across 2022 and 2023 with many deaths and hospitalizations but nowhere near those peaks.

Feel free to believe it’s like AIDS in 1983 out there if you want.

I'm just going to paste what I wrote from the old pestilence thread:

Since the beginning of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in 1981, 40 million people have died. To equal this death toll covid would only need to eliminate 0.5% of the current total global population of 8 billion to reach the 40 million threshold. Yearly population growth is what, an average of 1+% for the last several decades? In 1981 we had 4.5b people globally, we have 8b today.

Unfortunately official total covid global deaths listings are completely inaccurate; for example the WHO admits only to about 7 million deaths globally, which is laughably low considering that in India's early delta wave it's estimated they lost 6 million people.

With 8 billion people existing and governments actively not collecting accurate data, does anyone think 40 million people could have died over the last 3 years due to covid and it's aftereffects? If not, how long does anyone think it will take? I doubt it'll take 40 years; mainly because in 3 years covid has killed an estimated 25 million:
https://archive.is/XnzAT
Note: I haven't seen the Economist increase that total in well over a year. Probably because all the official numbers are now trash so adding to the official estimate had become increasingly difficult.

The Oldest Man had a great post about the new community levels being garbage in the last thread

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

"I'm getting dogpiled on for being a doofus and can't post a single pic, but sure let's say we're debating as if I'm still on equal footing despite all these valid criticisms being thrown my way!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

skooma512 posted:

We drive on some of the same roads. Every time I pass those signs, I think of how a portable sander, a car battery and a few bits and bobs could really solve the problem.