Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Extra row of tits posted:

Was that the one that would wake up if you happened to have the right combination of gems in your bag?

That was Shangalar the Black, of the Twisted Rune. There is a nondescript trapped door in the middle of the Bridge District in Athkatla. A portal appears if you have a rogue stone in your inventory.

It's all part of some cut content. You orginally had to get a specific rogue stone from the guys you fight in the Gaurded Compound in the Temple District. You got it from the guy who wields Celestial Fury, the best katana in the game - which also showed up as random loot in Neverwinter Nights - renamed Divine Fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Lister posted:

Remember that time audible paid Ice T to read a Drizzt story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AszM1WPwOWg

this is good. ice cube has a nice voice

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Rappaport posted:

:hfive:

The clock in the OG BG1 interface is wonderful. And the sound track, which is at least the same in the EE, is also great.

the bg1 UI is so dang crisp in 640x480

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

matti posted:

this is good. ice cube has a nice voice

This is the awesome clip I was looking for. "This poo poo is impossible to read, son. To actually read these words... it took me 3-and-a-half hours to read 25 pages." lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFBaTdQknnY

matti
Mar 31, 2019

lmao

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
what's really hosed up is that it's not even a gate at all. it's a city.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

les enfants Terrific! posted:

what's really hosed up is that it's not even a gate at all. it's a city.

It wasn't even in the sequel!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In BG your XP is split between all party members which means if you just have 1 party member you get 6x the experience and its not that hard to beat the entire game with just the main character which is really fun if you pick the right dual class.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"Motherfuckers live in places that don't exist" should be the title of...something. I don't know what exactly, but something

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I remember playing BG1 as a kid and having to switch out the 6 drat CDs to play it. Was kind of a struggle though I never beat it

A little while ago I decided to give it an honest shot as a very smart adult and installed it off steam. I spent an hour setting up my character, tried pick pocketing someone in the starting area, failed and aggro'd him and the guy chased me around forever until he beat me to death, and I didn't have a save game to revert back to.

I guess it was just an accurate role play for me

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I played BGTutu to completion with a 3 person multiplayer party years ago and it ruled. Highly recommended for someone with too much free time and similarly idle friends. There was a weird bug in the dungeon with all of the kobold commando fire arrow archers, and they FILLED the entire dungeon with no walking room whatsoever. we somehow cleared it before getting access to fireball or skull trap etc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Anyone else go after dragons way too early and cowardly try to get them with cloud kill wands? It sometimes worked on the 20th try.

Also remember in BG2 there was a back room of a tavern with a high level lich that wasn’t a danger unless you chose to bother him, and he had super dangerous spells that could TPK fast. Except it took a few seconds for each spell to cast & if you left the room then re-entered the spell would be cancelled but he couldn’t cast it again, repeat until he’s out of spells & can be beaten to death for quality loot. What a fun game.

I stacked traps where some lich spawns and cheesed him that way

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

In BG your XP is split between all party members which means if you just have 1 party member you get 6x the experience and its not that hard to beat the entire game with just the main character which is really fun if you pick the right dual class.

You can game this a bit to keep it split during combat and then tell everyone to leave except the PC when you turn in completed quests.
My bard is level 6 and I just left the cloak wood, lol.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

also throne of Bhaal kinda sucks because they had no idea how to balance level 15+ poo poo and you can end it at like level 33.

instead of feeling powerful you feel worthless as the mooks all scale up and Random Guard has +5 enchantments and is immune to goddamn everything.

it sucks because the story is pretty good!!!!11

it also has like 4 areas that are completely empty lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I feel if op was probation again that would probably solve everyones issues.

I dunno it usually seems to work. Sort of like turning a computer off and on again.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

SRQ posted:

also throne of Bhaal kinda sucks because they had no idea how to balance level 15+ poo poo and you can end it at like level 33.

instead of feeling powerful you feel worthless as the mooks all scale up and Random Guard has +5 enchantments and is immune to goddamn everything.

I agree but I didn't think it sucked because of it. High level D&D is hard to do.

naem
May 29, 2011

Genesplicer posted:

I like how he really Baldured that Gate. Really summed up the game for me.

it’s Balduring time

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You require my counsel, yes?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Balder Pate

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

credburn posted:

A long time ago, just after the release of Baldur's Gate 2, we were all having a discussion about it in a Baldur's Gate 2 thread in the Games forum. Later on I would play through Baldur's Gate 2 and really love it -- like, it's one of my favorite games ever -- but I was not a fan of the first game, in particular the character Imoen. I found her to be utterly annoying, though it's been so long now I can't remember why. Anyway, while we were talking about Baldur's Gate lore or whatever in the Baldur's Gate 2 thread, I mentioned how much she annoyed me, this character Imoen. But here's the thing -- and this is SPOILER TERRITORY -- I referred to her as your annoying sister and I got probation for this.

It turns out that this "big reveal" that resulted in me getting probation was in fact a sort of "plot twist" in Baldur's Gate 2. But I hadn't even played it at that time. I had thought that that was mentioned somewhere in Baldur's Gate 1, like I thought it was one of the first details you learn about her. Well, I guess I was wrong, and I guess I accidentally and inadvertently spoiled a plot reveal for some goons, but consider this: by probating me and editing my post, I was spoilered as well.

that didn't spoil anyone, she's obvious your adopted kid sister until it becomes obvious she's actually your sister. the only people 'spoiled' on this already knew, or were spoiled by someone explaining why it was a spoiler.

spoilers aren't real.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

SRQ posted:

actually this rules because my character had like 4 swords which each granted some niche immunity to whatever scenario i was dealing with and i felt like gilgamesh. no, it wasn't a kensai mage haha, shut up.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Anyone else wonder what would happen if cloud kill were cast inside a tavern, then felt like a war criminal?

Didn’t know charm person was considered a hostile act, tried to use it on a merchant for lower prices & he was aggroed whenever I returned to the shop but didn’t want to kill him with that character but had no way to apologize. Glad he wasn’t plot essential.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just got to candlekeep and this Koveras fella had some interesting things to say, i sense a new ally

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
I remember playing IWD back when it first came out and discovering that if you paused and just mashed a bard's buff song button over and over, it would stack ad infinitum. It only lasted 6 seconds, but in that time you could demolish practically anything.

Does Ropekid still post here? Or did we scare him off?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Pladdicus posted:

that didn't spoil anyone, she's obvious your adopted kid sister until it becomes obvious she's actually your sister. the only people 'spoiled' on this already knew, or were spoiled by someone explaining why it was a spoiler.

spoilers aren't real.

Ah I see you haven't posted in Games before

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smugworth posted:

Ah I see you haven't posted in Games before

Games is a place to talk about games and have discussions about them. There are tips and tricks, information about lore, and many gaming related topics.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I remember all of those times in my youth installing this game and never completing it. I also remember buying Tales of the Sword Coast and installing both numerous times and never completing it. I also remember a little later on when mods were released and all of those times downloading them and never completing the game. I got the EE a few years back but I can't remember how, I installed it for nostalgia and decided to play through it again but gid I complete it? No.

I did play Baldurs Gate II to completion countless times, but Planescape: Torment will always be my one true love.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNBMCN12pp0

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I did play Baldurs Gate II to completion countless times, but Planescape: Torment will always be my one true love.

PS:T was my favorite game ever until Metal Gear Solid 3. Then recently I played through MGS3 again and PS:T immediately was put back on top.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

cult_hero posted:

I remember playing IWD back when it first came out and discovering that if you paused and just mashed a bard's buff song button over and over, it would stack ad infinitum. It only lasted 6 seconds, but in that time you could demolish practically anything.

Does Ropekid still post here? Or did we scare him off?

He's still around and postin' yeah

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Planescape is the coolest setting, too bad it's been defunct for ages.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
It'sa me, Imoen!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Entorwellian posted:

I agree but I didn't think it sucked because of it. High level D&D is hard to do.

I went from earned-power at the end of BG2 to "oh what the gently caress guards are wiping my party". The balance was not great when TOB starts, or ends.
I always choose speech builds too so that doesn't help.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I remember all of those times in my youth installing this game and never completing it. I also remember buying Tales of the Sword Coast and installing both numerous times and never completing it. I also remember a little later on when mods were released and all of those times downloading them and never completing the game. I got the EE a few years back but I can't remember how, I installed it for nostalgia and decided to play through it again but gid I complete it? No.

Torment is the best book I've ever played.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Anyone else wonder what would happen if cloud kill were cast inside a tavern, then felt like a war criminal?

Didn’t know charm person was considered a hostile act, tried to use it on a merchant for lower prices & he was aggroed whenever I returned to the shop but didn’t want to kill him with that character but had no way to apologize. Glad he wasn’t plot essential.

i always thought cloud kill was less mustard gas and more satan's farts.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
I miss the "real time" combat of bg1 and 2. Divinity/bg3 hard turn based is so easy and tempting to cheese because I have no self control

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i always thought cloud kill was less mustard gas and more satan's farts.

Cloudkill is ur char farting.

naem
May 29, 2011

I played divinity something turn based, something, and

a lizard guy was kind of a jerk to me to I didn’t recruit him, or killed him?

anyways I needed him to fight for me on the team and couldn’t make any more progress and decided not to play because if I want to tolerate people I don’t like for their skill sets I can just go work in any office anywhere

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

naem posted:

I played divinity something turn based, something, and

a lizard guy was kind of a jerk to me to I didn’t recruit him, or killed him?

anyways I needed him to fight for me on the team and couldn’t make any more progress and decided not to play because if I want to tolerate people I don’t like for their skill sets I can just go work in any office anywhere

The Red Prince is cool, I always play as him or Fane. Mostly Fane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Cloudkill is ur char farting.
But I can fart more than once per day.