Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
A long time ago, just after the release of Baldur's Gate 2, we were all having a discussion about it in a Baldur's Gate 2 thread in the Games forum. Later on I would play through Baldur's Gate 2 and really love it -- like, it's one of my favorite games ever -- but I was not a fan of the first game, in particular the character Imoen. I found her to be utterly annoying, though it's been so long now I can't remember why. Anyway, while we were talking about Baldur's Gate lore or whatever in the Baldur's Gate 2 thread, I mentioned how much she annoyed me, this character Imoen. But here's the thing -- and this is SPOILER TERRITORY -- I referred to her as your annoying sister and I got probation for this.

It turns out that this "big reveal" that resulted in me getting probation was in fact a sort of "plot twist" in Baldur's Gate 2. But I hadn't even played it at that time. I had thought that that was mentioned somewhere in Baldur's Gate 1, like I thought it was one of the first details you learn about her. Well, I guess I was wrong, and I guess I accidentally and inadvertently spoiled a plot reveal for some goons, but consider this: by probating me and editing my post, I was spoilered as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cool

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Or not cool

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I like how he really Baldured that Gate. Really summed up the game for me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

credburn posted:

A long time ago, just after the release of Baldur's Gate 2, we were all having a discussion about it in a Baldur's Gate 2 thread in the Games forum. Later on I would play through Baldur's Gate 2 and really love it -- like, it's one of my favorite games ever -- but I was not a fan of the first game, in particular the character Imoen. I found her to be utterly annoying, though it's been so long now I can't remember why. Anyway, while we were talking about Baldur's Gate lore or whatever in the Baldur's Gate 2 thread, I mentioned how much she annoyed me, this character Imoen. But here's the thing -- and this is SPOILER TERRITORY -- I referred to her as your annoying sister and I got probation for this.

It turns out that this "big reveal" that resulted in me getting probation was in fact a sort of "plot twist" in Baldur's Gate 2. But I hadn't even played it at that time. I had thought that that was mentioned somewhere in Baldur's Gate 1, like I thought it was one of the first details you learn about her. Well, I guess I was wrong, and I guess I accidentally and inadvertently spoiled a plot reveal for some goons, but consider this: by probating me and editing my post, I was spoilered as well.

that's rough homie

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I liked the part where it turns out that Sarevok and Gorion are the same person. Also, every companion except Imoen are either bhaalspawn or greater doppelgangers.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can we get this goon some restitution where is the justice

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Konar posted:

can we get this goon some restitution where is the justice

Thank you; this is really all I wanted, a little empathy, some understanding. I mean, it was a long time ago, it's not like I've carried this around with me all these years.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

OP should probably be probed again before they start dropping spoilers for the latest Baulders Gate and ruining it for the rest of us

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my last account copped a ban for revealing the old man in the robe is actually elminster

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
Monty fucks

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
drat that’s crazy

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ban this stupid gently caress

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nooner posted:

Ban this stupid gently caress

Running it up the chain, this sick freak has got to go

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

OPs only probe is by that permabanned deranged psychopath so honestly it seems like he's owed for two wrongful probations. Make them IK of the feedback thread

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Spoiler: in Baldur’s Gate 1 you can’t sleep with any of your party members.

You start as a level 1 virgin and end the game as a level 7 virgin with a magic weapon.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Dial A For Awesome posted:

You start as a level 1 virgin and end the game as a level 7 virgin with a magic weapon.

and some nice armour

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

OPs only probe is by that permabanned deranged psychopath so honestly it seems like he's owed for two wrongful probations. Make them IK of the feedback thread

Hell, make em admin

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is Imoen really your sister?! If so how come Everytime you click on her she says heya I'm Imoen. I have sisters, they have never once told me their name I knew it before them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Also free the OP, justice for that person I forfeit their name sorry

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Here's a spoiler for ya:

You do not, surprisingly, get to gently caress the gate.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Baldur’s Gay

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

isn't it weird how we now have one game that doesn't have Baldurs Gate, and one game that's not connected to the original story but does?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Dial A For Awesome posted:

who the gently caress is ending at 7? my current run has me at level 6 and I just left the cloak wood.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

credburn posted:

Yeah. A long time ago you could be probed and banned for spoiling games that just came out. There was a moratorium on it and that it got somewhat rescinded around the time of Lets Plays because people wanted to show off newer games but were running into the problem you describe. I don't know if you are looking for sympathy or what but you are not going to get it from us here.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

There's hanging dong in BG3 op

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hang on, in BG1 wasn't Imoen always considered your little sister? She and the main character grew up together in Candlekeep, right? Or was it more like best friends?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Baldurs Gape

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gologle posted:

Hang on, in BG1 wasn't Imoen always considered your little sister? She and the main character grew up together in Candlekeep, right? Or was it more like best friends?

mis remembering as i played this when it came out (a few times)

you know your adopted? and she was adopted too. so brought up as not* (missed a word here) blood family.

so teh spoiler in bg2 that she is blood family is not really a good twist.

Best part of BG2 was that you could import your uber toon from 1, where you got all the books, and gear, and then there was that black screen at the start where the game was dropping your gear and deleteing it, but if you paused and open the menu you could drop your gear from the end of 1 and then put that poo poo right back on when the game started

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i hosed up in act one and wyll killed gale and now i gotta rejigger my whole party

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

As a Diablo lover, child me couldn't get into the Baldur series bc I just didn't grok the combat.

I was like "yeah, but why can't I click them to death? Dice? Wtf, this is a computer game, gently caress your dice rolls."

I blame Diablo and Command and Conquer for my adhd.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Quote not edit, gently caress

matti
Mar 31, 2019

one of the maps (halfway between the town with the big inn and the place with the mine, left from the road, on the coast, one map over) has an enchanted woman who kills one one your party member if you pick the wrong dialogue option

i am pissy about it because they programmed it wrong and no matter if you approach her in stealth, as soon you reveal her in LOS, she tracks to you.

i had played without reloading to that point but that terrible encounter made me reload a save.

matti fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 12, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The god Bhaal hosed your character's mom lol.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i am still mad about it

...but also, I should start a new semi-blind BG1 run again, I have forgotten most of about it by now.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

My uncle worked for Bioware and you could get Drizzt in your party if you rolled a female Drow Lawful Evil Chaos Mage.

It seems weird to me that I've gamed with dozens or maybe over 100 Drizzt's and it's all a reference to this random NPC encounter from Baldur's Gate.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Drizzt was a popular character way before BG

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Yeah I remember him from the 90s Xmen cartoon too, but he didn't come into his own as a serious character until BG

matti
Mar 31, 2019

there had been 11 drizzt books (1990-) before BG1 was released

they were a popular character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

just lmao if you don’t quicksave/quickload 9000 times per play-session